What's new

Tech Uses for U+3

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
So I was in training mode with Baraka the other day to just see if a move I had thought was previously useless outside of combos had any uses during an actual match. Turns out U+3 is actually A LOT more useful than I thought.

In open space:

After a jump in punch, doing U+3 will do 2 things...if it connects you can quickly dash and get a Blade Charge for about 20%. If U+3 is blocked, inputting Blade Charge immediately afterwards is guaranteed if the opponent tries to do anything, even jump. Once the opponent begins respecting the Blade charge option after U+3, you can dash in and pressure with 50/50 or throw.

In the corner:

In the corner is where this move really shines...because the push back is less severe on block, you can mix this move in with your pressure game to throw your opponent off guard. After U+3 is blocked in the corner you're free to pressure because of the advantage it gives you on block. If the move hits, you get a free B+3,1 juggle off of it and can nail your opponent for 40%.

All in all, it's another move which is safe on block (something rare for Baraka) AND even gives Baraka advantage. Use it.

DOWNLOADED

The Cowardly Lion
So I was in training mode with Baraka the other day to just see if a move I had thought was previously useless outside of combos had any uses during an actual match. Turns out U+3 is actually A LOT more useful than I thought.

In open space:

After a jump in punch, doing U+3 will do 2 things...if it connects you can quickly dash and get a Blade Charge for about 20%. If U+3 is blocked, inputting Blade Charge immediately afterwards is guaranteed if the opponent tries to do anything, even jump. Once the opponent begins respecting the Blade charge option after U+3, you can dash in and pressure with 50/50 or throw.

In the corner:

In the corner is where this move really shines...because the push back is less severe on block, you can mix this move in with your pressure game to throw your opponent off guard. After U+3 is blocked in the corner you're free to pressure because of the advantage it gives you on block. If the move hits, you get a free B+3,1 juggle off of it and can nail your opponent for 40%.

All in all, it's another move which is safe on block (something rare for Baraka) AND even gives Baraka advantage. Use it.
I said awhile ago that this move might have some use. But still couldn't it be poked out of or does U+3 beat out the poke similiar to what Mileena's overhead kick does? Also midscreen could it be possible that you could dash and do F+4,4 and that would be inescapable as well or is there too much pushback?

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
I said awhile ago that this move might have some use. But still couldn't it be poked out of or does U+3 beat out the poke similiar to what Mileena's overhead kick does? Also midscreen could it be possible that you could dash and do F+4,4 and that would be inescapable as well or is there too much pushback?
I think by D+1s, but not by D+3s and D+4s. Could be character dependent so I'm not 100%. My scenarios were all after jump-ins tho. And midscreen the opponent gets pushed too far back for F+4,4 to work. Works very well in the corner tho.

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
Just a few other tidbits about U+3:

In the corner, after a blocked U+3, 221+2 is guaranteed. No dash is needed, and it works against both stand and crouch block. This is fantastic because it means you get two frame traps back to back, which just makes Baraka's corner pressure even scarier. Essentially, if you have your opponent in the corner, and you've already trained them to block after 221+2 in fear of the F+4 followup, you can Jump-in, 221+2 U+3, then 221+2 AGAIN, and still be at frame advantage. :D

From the moment the move is active, you are in a jump state. What this means is any move that can only hit you grounded, U+3 will beat. So any regular throw attempt will be beat by U+3, and you can quickly dash cancel into Blade Charge for an easy 17%. This also works against special moves with the same properties. For example, Reptile's Elbow Dash will lose to U+3 100% of the time. This is good because Reptile can no longer spam Dashes at you in fear of a punish, and a knockdown. This works especially well against certain command grabs like Cyrax's or Sheeva's crouch grab. Be careful though because antiair moves with priority (Both Cyrax's and Sheeva's AA grab) will beat you.

Bravo Moe

Baraka Lova
Whats up Baraka players .. This "Bravo Moe" .. I just joined today .. You probably have seen my video guide on Baraka. Yes, I had some few mistakes in understanding the terms used in this game "safe", I thought it means "far distance" and thats why I wrote down on my video guide of Baraka safe wrongly. Anyways, "SomeCubanGuy", I need to talk to you !! (lol)

I don't know whether this is common knowledge or not but U+4 doesn't actually get hit by low attacks for most of the move, beginning immediately at input.

Bravo Moe

Baraka Lova
I don't know whether this is common knowledge or not but U+4 doesn't actually get hit by low attacks for most of the move, beginning immediately at input.
Yea man .. I tried that move. It has slow recovery unfortunately (if you miss it) ... You can still combine that move in a combo from the start of the match !! (Neutral Jump Punch then u4). But its damage in combo making is useless !!. That move is designed to hit overhead and yes like you said .. "can avoid low projectiles" .. but I haven't used that against Lie Kang or Kabal !! (low projectiles) yet.

Is it U3 or U4 the weird move where he goes horizontal?

Because playing in ladder (lol) I've had the computer use it against Mileenas iaSais.

Bravo Moe

Baraka Lova
The funny looking dropkick, yeah. And not just low projectiles, even sub's slide goes right under baraka's U4.
You may be right about that move (U4) in avoiding Sub Zero's slide or low projectiles .. But one problem though, you need good time adjustment for that move cuz like I said "if you miss", they with punish you .. I think also that move is "unsafe" on Block. ? (Is that right?)

However this (U4) may be a good option if you do ex chop chop followed by dash into U4, cuz it might hit the opponent depends on his position if he is still on ground ... I used to try that move alot but not anymore cuz it is punishable and slow.

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
U+4 is basically useless against human opponents I'm afraid. It's startup and recovery are both absolutely horrendous and is incredibly punishable on whiff and block. It's better to just attempt a crossup jump to avoid low pokes.

Bravo Moe

Baraka Lova
Hey "SomeCubanGuy" ... I noticed that there are some fatal Baraka mistakes that happen when I try to hit the moves I want in an Online matches. I do not know why it happens to me sometimes. But it happens, usually with lag especially with lag.Of course I think my controller might be a problem but I think its usually my own mistake. These are:

1. If you try to do Blade charge (you may end up doing F2 instread) which is killer mistake cuz its has very low recovery.
2. Also I noticed "it happened to me but less", if you try to do spark, you might end up doing (B2) which is devastating for Baraka. I wish that we can customize our own move list to avoid these issues.
3. Sometimes, in laggy games, I end up doing uppercut instead of those (Spark and Charge).
But it certainly sucks, making these mistakes in matches, especially in the end of the match !! (ugh)

I wish that they have made back 1 instead of back 2 (b1 is much safer and faster than b2)

Toxic

Noob
Yea it'll happen sometimes. Just gotta practice online till ya get used to the timing.I have 4 days and 15 hours of game time into Baraka online and the uppercut thing still happens sometimes, mostly hen im not warmed up or trying to go too fast. I have no problem with f2 comin out ever though. Just stay with it youll get used to the timing and pseudo precision of online. What controller ya use? Could awful dpad be the cause of the f2? Ya did say your controller was messed up.

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
Hey "SomeCubanGuy" ... I noticed that there are some fatal Baraka mistakes that happen when I try to hit the moves I want in an Online matches. I do not know why it happens to me sometimes. But it happens, usually with lag especially with lag.Of course I think my controller might be a problem but I think its usually my own mistake. These are:

1. If you try to do Blade charge (you may end up doing F2 instread) which is killer mistake cuz its has very low recovery.
2. Also I noticed "it happened to me but less", if you try to do spark, you might end up doing (B2) which is devastating for Baraka. I wish that we can customize our own move list to avoid these issues.
3. Sometimes, in laggy games, I end up doing uppercut instead of those (Spark and Charge).
But it certainly sucks, making these mistakes in matches, especially in the end of the match !! (ugh)

I wish that they have made back 1 instead of back 2 (b1 is much safer and faster than b2)
That probably has nothing to do with you and has more to do with the fact that there are input glitches in this game, as well as very very poor negative edge. What I mean by input glitches is, for example, if you are trying to mash D+4, sometimes a standing 4 will come out instead. Same this with trying to do instant uppercuts, a standing 2 will come out. It's part of the game, but at times I do feel like it happens more with Baraka than with any other characters for some reason. Special moves not coming out are the same issue. I say try inputting the command a bit slower, you could be inputting DF2, or DB2 so fast that the game is not registering the D. Negaive edge occurs sometimes to when you try to do an uppercut and Spark comes out. Only way to fix this really is just try an be more precise with inputs.

Bravo Moe

Baraka Lova
One thing to mention "Toxic", I also have more than 4 days and few hours with Baraka play like you .. I only play him and Mileena little bit. I had two controllers, one of them I use to have those mistakes alot, so I replaced it with another one "used", which was better in the beginning but start to experience those recently (Of course less than the first controller).

And "SomeCubanGuy", you're absuloutely right about doing the moves slowly controlleing the eduge of the d-pad "not superfast when I am nervous during the game". It will work but still need some concentration "not training" which is very hard for some people. Even the blade charge after the chop chop can be hard to connect sometimes (But I noticed that you need to be fast on that move) which I am good at right now !!

Main question: will the MK9 Stick make your game better ??? cuz I've seen alot of Evo players using the stick

Toxic

Noob
A stick would definitely help out a bit, though honestly once your used to d pad on 360 its not so bad till it wears out. I played a lot of calibur on my 360 and eventually i had no issues crappy as it was. A stick would take some adjusting but once ya do its way more responsive and ya wont miss inputs as much.Be sure to research which one to get though, theres many and theyre all different. Some last better than others do. I dont know about brands personally youll have to get some more input about that and prices and such. If youll use it enough its definitely worth it though, and it will improve your game.

Bravo Moe

Baraka Lova
New strategy for U3 .. After opponenet is on the ground .. You can make half dash and make that move then block after that .. Now, since this move is safe, then after you do it, you can have a chance to block .. So, you can just make this move to fake urself on the opponent in ordert to make him going into wake up call on that move .. Here is is thing, once they make a wake up attack, you can block and punish them .. Still need more testing though

Guys, Have you been practicing with down 4 (d4) seems gorgeous with Baraka as he does it like Mileena version of d4.
I tried that strategy against some guys .. It worked but still need some additions to this move like 4 alone ..
basically you do d4, d4, then 4 alone (d3 is fast in close range too). But after that his blade charge can come after two d4 but the problem is I get punished easily after Blade charge. I also tried d4 then F44 + charge was also good but still need some more practice with that stuff.

Trying to see the effects of B1 alone .. Its fast but with small frame .. This is the problem !!:(

Also trying 1,2,b3 combo Its good but also has small frame !! :( (on the start cuz 1 has small frame) ..

3, b3 is really much effective but still slow .. Damn :(

Only 100% implemented strategy for me is: once opponent is on ground .. Rush then b3,22 seems working although it might get punished .. The good thing about this small combo is it has wide frame on start .. But Still punished by Wake ups

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
ok,
some intresting things happened when start using u+3 in matches
in open space much like in somecubanguys 1st post where he talks about blocked u+3 to blade charge
i noticed if you do chop chop after a blocked u+3 if opp moves forward of does an attack with a slight forward motion in it they seem to get sucked into the "vacuum" chop chop creates when its already on screen,which can be then linked to blade charge or d4 blade for some nice damage,
after caught people with it few times they were scared to do anything if they blocked my u+3, to which id either dash then throw,dash b3 combo or block strings for meter

Bravo Moe

Baraka Lova
ok,
some intresting things happened when start using u+3 in matches
in open space much like in somecubanguys 1st post where he talks about blocked u+3 to blade charge
i noticed if you do chop chop after a blocked u+3 if opp moves forward of does an attack with a slight forward motion in it they seem to get sucked into the "vacuum" chop chop creates when its already on screen,which can be then linked to blade charge or d4 blade for some nice damage,
after caught people with it few times they were scared to do anything if they blocked my u+3, to which id either dash then throw,dash b3 combo or block strings for meter
I started practicing that move man .. I tried pump fake (do it in open space) then block to attract enemies to attack me but still not that useful. I need more time to practice. Its kinna annoying me that people picking up Raiden against me in Online Ranked matches which is a hrad match up for me dude ..
Did you watch the matches I posted with Intro to my videos ?

jamessmk

I am your god
Not really I find the U3 is only good to catch a player sleeping in the corner as a start up. You can do it after b3,1 timing is unrealistic though. You can do it and go into the b3,1.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
just to get a bit more chatter on this item..

after blocked jip,u+3 (midscreen)
u land perfect spacing for a d4 or 4~slices :top:

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I like this in combos, and like Bravo moe said, it makes the opponent think your about to jump in. Mind games are always welcome.