What's new

(UPDATED!) Using hints by Ed Boon that alluded to Kano confirm to decipher other hints/confirms

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage

Really though, take some time to hear this out.

Color index:
Red = hint
Green = update on hint
Yellow = new hint added

Now, make what you want of this. It includes replies.

It's really meant to just be something to keep an eye out for. Nothing set in stone here, but personally I think it means good news for Kitana, Ermac, and Reptile.

-Kitana-
Mentioned: 22
Pics: 20

-Reptile-
Mentioned: 20
Pics: 18

-Ermac-
Mentioned: 14
Pics: 12

-Mileena-
Mentioned: 9
Pics: 9

-Noob-
Mentioned: 8
Pics: 5

-Johnny Cage-
Mentioned:8
Pics: 2

-Tremor-
Mentions: 6
Pics:4

-Rain-
Mentioned: 6
(strange one though because 1 time was referring to other DLC characters and 2 times was to troll CDjr. 2 others, trolls in general)

-Goro-
Mentions: 6
Pics: 4
(Announced. No longer updating. Was tied for 4th most mentions at announcement)

-Fujin-
Mentioned: 5

-Sonya-

-Liu Kang-

-Kung Lao-
Mentions: 4
Pics: 3

-Cyrax-
Mentions: 3

-Bo Rai Cho-
Pics: 3

-Shang Tsung-
Pics: 1

Mentioned Twice:
Chameleon/Pics: 2
Skarlet/Pics: 2
Sindel/Pics: 2
Smoke//Pics: 1
Reiko/ Pics: 1
Quan Chi/ Pics: 1
Meat/Pics: 1

Mentioned Once:
Baraka
Shao Kahn
Shinnok
Sheeva
Frost
Jade
Jax
Kenshi
Nightwolf
Sektor + Sereena
(Sektor and Sereena were mentioned in the huge hint in #3 and #4 though)

Mentioned Zero Times/Mk9 Cast:
Cyber Sub Zero
Kabal
Stryker

Previously on twitter, about a month ago, Ed Boon posted RANDOMLY a picture link to a Canon Laser printer. People joked it was a Kano reveal, but you could never be to sure with Ed.

Now we see that this "random" picture link might have indeed been a clue that some brushed off because the army of naysayers telling anyone trying to decipher clues to shut their mouths.

It's these picture links on twitter by Ed. These seemingly random trolls seem to be the hints he's dropping and not his trillions of responses to people on twitter regarding art or questions. We know Ed always does hints. Does it not strike anyone as strange that he "apparently" hasn't up until now?

So far these are the hints we have as far as picture links:

1. Canon Laser Printer
(hinted to Kano)

2. James Horner's Soundtrack and "Lady in Red" which James Horner is famous for.
Could also be another Kano hint referring to his Commando variation.

(hints to Kano or Skarlet)

Update for hint #2:
It's now more likely for this to have been another Kano nudge instead of Skarlet because Ed recently revealed that DLC characters from mk9 will be unlikely.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/08/15/mortal-kobmat-x-ed-boon-on-the-story-returning-finishers-and-mk-vs-street-fighter-gamescom-2014

3. Random Cheeseburger from McDonalds. Ed Boon straight up says MUSTARD and KETCHUP in capslock on a reply to it.
(hints Cyrax and Sektor)

UPDATE Aug 14, 2014:

4. "Take me with you....".

This line was only spoken by Sereena as far as MK goes. It was her last words in Subzero Mythologies which Quan Chi and Shinnok play a huge role in. This hint is different from the others because its pictureless, but its definitely Ed's style of cryptic. Compared to the rest though this one is a little harder to grasp because while Serrena wasn't the worst character, she wasn't one of the most popular either.

(hints to Sereena)

Updated August 26 2014

5. You got caged bitch
(hints at Johnny Cage)

Updated September 3, 2014

6. Get Out, Really Out !!
(Goro hint. Credit to @Dark )

Updated September 25, 2014

7. JADED Bohemian Rhapsody reference.
(hints to ???)

P.S.
If you're still skeptical and just want moan about another Ed twitter thread, then just don't waste your time discussing for the sake of the people who actually want to.

Last edited:
E

Eldriken

He already did
Oh? I guess I missed that one. I just know of a tweet that he mentioned something about how it's Mortal Kombat when someone mentioned Kitana being dead. I didn't know of a picture of any kind in relation to her.

Amplified$hotz

Done with MK1. Stop supporting a scam company
He should post a picture of ink...Noob Saibot confirmed.

Picture of a lizard chameleon confirmed

E

Eldriken

He should post a picture of ink...Noob Saibot confirmed.

Picture of a lizard chameleon confirmed
A standard lizard picture could be hinting at Reptile, not necessarily Khameleon/Chameleon. He'd probably have to post a picture of a chameleon for that hint.

Flagg

Noob
I'm pretty certain that Reptile and Quan Chi will definitely be returning. If you look at the character select screen on the MK trailers, all returning characters are on top with new on bottom. Not sure if that trend will persist but there are 8 more slots on the top row and 8 more slots on the bottom.

So....8 more MK 9 (including DLC?) characters and 8 more new/existing MK characters not featured in MK 9?

Just throwing that out there, but lets say if Reptile, QC, Cyrax and Sektor return, that would only leave 4 more slots for MK 9 characters (providing that is the formula they are going with)?

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
I'm pretty certain that Reptile and Quan Chi will definitely be returning. If you look at the character select screen on the MK trailers, all returning characters are on top with new on bottom. Not sure if that trend will persist but there are 8 more slots on the top row and 8 more slots on the bottom.

So....8 more MK 9 (including DLC?) characters and 8 more new/existing MK characters not featured in MK 9?

Just throwing that out there, but lets say if Reptile, QC, Cyrax and Sektor return, that would only leave 4 more slots for MK 9 characters (providing that is the formula they are going with)?
Theres really no way to know if this might be true or not. It finely wouldn't be a stretch though.

The thing is, at least to me, Ed Boon normally doesn't reply to things that are so right-on-the-money about his subtle bullshit he slips in. It makes me second guess it. Again though, who knows.

Mst

Noob

Top Row = returning Characters, Bottom Row = new Characters Like Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Kano, Quan Chi, Cyrax, Tanya, Fujin, Liu Kang, Reptile, Skarlet, Mileena + 12 new Characters would be my guess would atleast make sense to me. Some of the new Characters where earlier in the Top Row aswell right?

biggabarr

chilling
i think cobra is in , at the start of ed's intro for both raiden and kano the poster behind him show someone in woody , looks like cobra.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
I understand the lady in red reference but it seems more likely that "commando" was in big letters. And he was doing another reference to kano.
The whole picture is about the soundtrack though. I think James Horner was definitely the clue. See on the left of the image where it has "original motion picture soundtrack".

I understand that Arnold played Terminator but the Lady in Red reference seems more his style. Kind of like the hints he dropped for Injustice.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
The commando clearly was a kano hint as one of his variations is called "commando". lol

You skarlet fanboys getting too hype :p

Its a good point, I'll add it to OP.

I could care less if shes in. I'm just trying to decode the bs.