What's new

Breakthrough - Scorpion Update: More buffs for scorpion, 1,1 string is now +1 on block and more

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Can someone explain these buffs a little more simple? I'm not stupid, I'm just *relatively* new to fighting games. What does stagger pressure mean?

And the 214 gap means scorpion has more options when doing this string?
A stagger is a form of a Frametrap

But basically what Stagger means let's say you go 21 and 214.

You let's say you can stagger 21 that basically means it recovers fast enough that you can take advantage of somebody waiting for that 4 so you can do like "21, 21, 214 Ex spear" on block. So when they start trying to poke your stagger then you can make 21()4 Ex spear combo.

So it's technically a block/not to block mix up.

Great mind games for opening people up.

That's just a basic example you can get more creative when opponents respect

Mitsuownes

Grandmaster of the Shirai-Ryu
Thanks for tagging.

I'm disappointed with the frame data on the Inferno minions. If Inferno really didn't change, his zoning variation would still not be able to zone.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
They make a double hitting low -4 on block, and at the same time they are making Cage d4 -6...?

No hate, I'm also a Ninjutsu player, but I can't understand some nrs decisions.
F2 is a disjointed double hitting launcher that is mostly safe when used right and takes 1/3rd of life into a restand, for a move that was a 9% knockdown and had nowhere near as good of a hitbox, B4 being completely unsafe on block made no sense.

A stagger is a form of a Frametrap

But basically what Stagger means let's say you go 21 and 214.

You let's say you can stagger 21 that basically means it recovers fast enough that you can take advantage of somebody waiting for that 4 so you can do like "21, 21, 214 Ex spear" on block. So when they start trying to poke your stagger then you can make 21()4 Ex spear combo.

So it's technically a block/not to block mix up.

Great mind games for opening people up.

That's just a basic example you can get more creative when opponents respect
Ok, so for example if someone knows the scorpion match up, and knows your trying to stagger the 21, and they immediately poke and you don't expect it coming, they outplayed you?

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Thanks for tagging.

I'm disappointed with the frame data on the Inferno minions. If Inferno really didn't change, his zoning variation would still not be able to zone.
If they just renamed that variation Noob and gave it a black palette-swap wherever there is yellow, the hate for that variation would go away.

That variation breaks with what the character Scorpion is perceived to be by the masses. If KP2 buffed it back to where it was and made it Noob, the outcry around the variation would be purely positive - and it would be likely good enough to take into tournaments.

You already have Tri-Borg. As long as it could be made to look professional without too much time or expense, I can't see a reason not to do it.

Last edited:

IrishMantis

Ok, so for example if someone knows the scorpion match up, and knows your trying to stagger the 21, and they immediately poke and you don't expect it coming, they outplayed you?
Technically yes they made the right read

But it takes somebody to make a chain of correct read to be considered outplayed, but if you counter the read by continuing the full string you out played that instance I guess

Technically yes they made the right read

But it takes somebody to make a chain of correct read to be considered outplayed, but if you counter the read by continuing the full string you out played that instance I guess
Okay I get it now. This is going to add a whole different level to scorpion then. The mindgames are going to be crazy

IrishMantis

Okay I get it now. This is going to add a whole different level to scorpion then. The mindgames are going to be crazy
Btw I see you're new to the scene and curious of Fighting game elements.... I know Ketchup and Mustard have started a series on YouTube, also I'd recommend watching "First Attack" it's made for beginners and covers every fighting game term although he uses SFIV as the game to show but in pretty sure everything he covers also carries to MKX so if you watch the Episode on Franetraps that's basically the same family of Staggers and Rekkas

Btw I see you're new to the scene and curious of Fighting game elements.... I know Ketchup and Mustard have started a series on YouTube, also I'd recommend eating "First Attack" it's made for beginners and covers every fighting game term although he uses SFIV as the game to show but in pretty sure everything he covers also carries to MKX so if you watch the Episode on Franetraps that's basically the same family of Staggers and Rekkas
I'll definitely give it a watch

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
It's all about conditioning. If you start staggering right away and you get poked, make them respect it by completing the string.

Similarly, if you're always completing 214 and they keep armoring between the gap, stagger it, bait the armor and punish accordingly.

It's like Rock-Paper-Scissors but more fun

JINAMOUNAINAI

He who is on fire is not troubled by the smoke
Hey guys just from reading the frame data changes it seems 21xx expear will still have a gap, can somebody check that plz??
(Ex spear is 19 fr, the 4 is 22, but the gap seems to be 5-6 frames wide)

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Something to note is that Scorp can now meter burn his ex spear and combo into spear now, I don't think he could do that before.

Also you can special cancel the first hit of Scorp's sweep. Haven't found much used to it yet though since b3 does more damage anyway.

STRYKIE

Something to note is that Scorp can now meter burn his ex spear and combo into spear now, I don't think he could do that before.

Also you can special cancel the first hit of Scorp's sweep. Haven't found much used to it yet though since b3 does more damage anyway.
Yeah, MB EX Spear always negated the 2nd spear not restanding mechanic.

B4 being special cancellable is interesting though, it reaches a bit further than B3 and may have some kind of OS potential.

Slips

Yeah, MB EX Spear always negated the 2nd spear not restanding mechanic.

B4 being special cancellable is interesting though, it reaches a bit further than B3 and may have some kind of OS potential.
I guess the meter burn ex spear is good for unbreakable damage now. EX Spear, meter burn, spear, into a hellfire. Or Inferno could do EX spear, meter burn, spear, low minion, overhead minion.

Otherwise still seems like an awful waste of meter hehe.

Mitsuownes

Grandmaster of the Shirai-Ryu
I guess the meter burn ex spear is good for unbreakable damage now. EX Spear, meter burn, spear, into a hellfire. Or Inferno could do EX spear, meter burn, spear, low minion, overhead minion.

Otherwise still seems like an awful waste of meter hehe.
You can't do another minion out of the low one.

But overall probably like you said, waste of meter haha.

JINAMOUNAINAI

Btw s3 is now 7 frames and fb cancellable into + about 27 frames
-so s3 fbc f4 xx flame aura is possible
New 7 frame punisher?! :)
(Got this from the frame data of the move havent seen anyone use it yet)

Slips

Btw s3 is now 7 frames and fb cancellable into + about 27 frames
-so s3 fbc f4 xx flame aura is possible
New 7 frame punisher?! :)
(Got this from the frame data of the move havent seen anyone use it yet)
I think Scorp's standing 3 being 7 frames is one of his best buffs.

I'm not sure if 3 fbrc is +27 though, seems like people were able to poke out when I try it. But otherwise...

-Good long distance AA when uppercut doesn't have the reach. (I think long range high priority jump punches can beat it out, but he still has d4 and takedown for those. Beats pretty much everything else)

-Great punisher (Ex. Sub's b2 gets full combo punish with ease now)

-Flame aura combos are easier (3 is even easier to land than 11 now and does more damage)

I'm also wondering if f4~fbrc into standing 3 is practical now since it was next to impossible before. This would mean b3 and f4 would give him safe meterless 50/50. That would be an awesome awesome buff for Hellfire.

STRYKIE

I think Scorp's standing 3 being 7 frames is one of his best buffs.

I'm also wondering if f4~fbrc into standing 3 is practical now since it was next to impossible before. This would mean b3 and f4 would give him safe meterless 50/50. That would be an awesome awesome buff for Hellfire.
That's immediately what I thought of. Doable but still separates the men from the boys with that link.

EDIT: also i think @JINAMOUNAINAI means S3 has 27 frames of hitstun meaning F4 links are viable from S3xxFBRC, not that it's +27 on block, LOL.

Last edited:

JINAMOUNAINAI

Yooo yea i meant on hit s3 fbc f4 is a true combo not on block :p
It has +/- the same frame data with b1 which is super easy to fbc into a combo with f4 on hit! If someone could test it it would be awesome
Hey @Slips can you test if 21xx ex spear jails on block?? That would mean a lot bro

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
So how is Hellfire pressure in the beta? Do you guys have a pressure gameplan? Considering there is a gap in from 21 to 4 although 21 is +2 on block how are you guys applying it?

21, 21~fbc?, 21, 21, F3~FBC? 21, b3~fbc~21, 21...?

Also can someone confirm if the F3 really got an animation nerf?

Didn't saw the Standing 3 buff, if that stays, then its probably one of his best buffs, since its a 7f punisher, anything under -8 at minimum will get neuked, wonder if it will punish Kotal's F2. And will probably be his best AA for anti-cross ups or long range jump ins, Skarlet had one with the same animation and used to do some good things for her although it was 6 frames longer in startup.