What's new

Unsolved Mysteries of MKX: Fake Patch Changes

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Unsolved Mysteries of MKX: Fake Patch Changes

Note: This thread is about unsolved mysteries. What you are about to read is not a news bulletin.

Imagine if you will a scenario: it’s mid afternoon, and Netherrealm Studios has just released a new balance patch for Mortal Kombat X. You rush to TestYourMight.com, eagerly awaiting the annotated notes for each character that outline the changes, and already the talk is exploding throught the forum. Did a move get more disadvantage on block? Was there a change to the range of another move? Which character has been nerfed the hardest?

It’s an exciting time for all the players, but there is a disturbing trend that Unsolved Mysteries has recently uncovered: posters distorting or otherwise fabricating changes that happened to their character. Unfortunately, with the presence of changes that may not be listed in any official correspondence, these rumors can spread like wildfire and often become a legitimate talking point in the post patch discussion. Unsolved Mysteries can not, and will not abide the spread of misinformation.

Scenario #1: we look to the forums of the bug queen D’vorah, where a recent controversy is just now passing over. Weeks ago, known D’vorah player Cr Honeybee noticed what he thought was a change to the difficulty of the character’s execution heavy combos in her Swarm Queen variation

Soon, other users began to chime in with their similar experiences in finding the combos harder to execute. Taking to his Twitch.tv stream, Honeybee would go on to make a live account of him seemingly being unable to execute the combos he had previously been able to. However, lead designer Paulo Garcia eventually weighed in in Honeybee’s stream chat and let him know that the cancels, aside from a day 1 hotfix issue in the September 1st patch, the cancels had not been touched or made any harder. This was met with hostility and a declaration that something was still not right

(Addendum: Since this post was initially written, Cr Honeybee has since gone back on his accusations of changes to D’vorah’s cancels. Unsolved Mysteries commends his honesty)

Scenario #2: we venture into the Kano forums, where an argument is threatening to tear it apart at the seams. Most are cursing the developers of the game for “nerfing” Kano by taking away the armor on his EN Pump Up and then adding it back in in a “secret” hotfix

I guess going from 66% to less than 54%, a health bleed of 15%, and the armor being removed really isn't a big deal.

All these non-Kano players telling us how to play our character, it's great.
I'm not sure what happened, but the armor was gone for me too, but I got a text a little bit ago saying it was back as well. Interesting sequence of events to say the least.
I'm gonna keep tally of how many times they change Ex buff, right now we're at 4 for the past 3 days.
Unsolved Mysteries could find no record of the armor actually being gone in any unpatched version of the game, and even further, we now have confirmation from lead design Paulo Garcia himself that the armor property was never removed, and only recently was the duration increased so more Kano players could take advantage of the armor property contained in the move. From a different thread:

ur actually both incorrect. the move is quite a bit faster and the armor was getting turned off after the startup frames like most moves making it a really small window to armor anything. the armor was increased to be alittle easier to use.

do any of you guys like actually use things or just rant about them?
One can only guess as to the reason why players would go out of their way to fabricate this idea; perhaps it softens the blow of the loss in a long set of games, or maybe it’s truly a matter of confusion. Either way, the fact of the matter is that the armor never actually changed, and thus the talking point is null and is only seeking to further confuse and muddle good information within the Kano forums

Scenario #3: Jaqui “Bae” Briggs, recent recipient of numerous changes, is tweaked once again in a follow up to the original patch. Aside from what was written in the notes, a TYM user yet again states that there has been a change to Jacqui that was not written in the correspondence from NRS Studios

Ending strings with gun is no longer safe. Thanks NRS.
Unsolved Mysteries could find no evidence of this ever being tweaked in any sense of the word in its investigation. Unsolved Mysteries would also like to point out that this is a repeat offender, and perhaps should be more thoroughly questioned in any patches to come

(Addendum: in the thread, the user pointed out that he has since abandoned his claim. Unsolved Mysteries thanks him for his honesty and has added this addendum)

These are just three of numerous examples. If we were to venture into the Kenshi forums, for instance…

Feels like d4 is also been touched. Feels shorter.
I Was going to make a video on this but I'll put it in simple terms. While practicing my Kenjutsu combos (on both male and female characters) I noticed the 2nd hit off b32 kept whiffing after MB DF1 in Kenjutsu. This is a huge problem because combing off consistently in Kenjutsu is already extremely difficult and now his damage off one of his main combo starters is reduced by about 4-5% The only alternative is to use B1 but a run canceled B32 was used specifically to get the same amount of damage as B1 since B1 is so inconsistent. Anyone else notice this?
Many will no doubt ask, “Why go after these posts? If they’re wrong, aren’t they just misinformed?” That is of course true, and while no harm may be meant by it, the reality is that spreading misinformation effects everyone, from the players that play the character to those who don’t and merely think the character is being nerfed every patch. This will later spread into discussion about how the character ranks compared to the others, and at the end of the day, the character is left underexplored and underutilized by the community.

As always, Unsolved Mysteries cannot work alone in finding cases to solve. If anyone has any tips about a mystery that needs solving or to be brought to light, PM @KingHippo on TYM and he will relate back to us so we can begin an investigation.

That’s all for tonight, and remember, for every solved mystery there still remains an Unsolved Mystery

Attachments

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
This thread is absolutely amazing. I don't know if it's insinuating that certain community members are inventing things and making excuses, or whether Paulo is covering up his mistakes, or whether it's not insinuating anything at all and just giving the facts, and you know what, I don't care - Unsolved Mysteries are brilliant

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
How about the Unsolved Mystery of exactly what is Ninjutsu is missing?

Love watching the placebo effect.

TYM like most gaming communities are absolute sheep lol, that's why people with originality and creativity in thought tend to do so well in competitive games in general

Reactions: GAV

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
You said the armour never changed but the duration of it was dramatically decreased as it was being turned off quicker as Paulo said because of the reduced startup. While, yes, it wasn't gone suggesting it wasn't affected is a lie. But any excuse to blow up the Kano forums I guess...

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Scenario #1: we look to the forums of the bug queen D’vorah, where a recent controversy is just now passing over. Weeks ago, known D’vorah player Cr Honeybee noticed what he thought was a change to the difficulty of the character’s execution heavy combos in her Swarm Queen variation

Soon, other users began to chime in with their similar experiences in finding the combos harder to execute. Taking to his Twitch.tv stream, Honeybee would go on to make a live account of him seemingly being unable to execute the combos he had previously been able to. However, lead designer Paulo Garcia eventually weighed in in Honeybee’s stream chat and let him know that the cancels, aside from a day 1 hotfix issue in the September 1st patch, the cancels had not been touched or made any harder. This was met with hostility and a declaration that something was still not right

(Addendum: Since this post was initially written, Cr Honeybee has since gone back on his accusations of changes to D’vorah’s cancels. Unsolved Mysteries commends his honesty)
Ooooops.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
@KingHippo just what kind of research was done? I'm assuming you went through every patch and hotfix to make sure that the changes were indeed false, correct?

Seems suspicious to talk about NRS's poor documentation of changes in the first paragraph then go on to put various forums on blast for simply questioning whether or not a move has changed. We know for a fact that there are moves that changed properties with no documentation.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
You said the armour never changed but the duration of it was dramatically decreased as it was being turned off quicker as Paulo said because of the reduced startup. While, yes, it wasn't gone suggesting it wasn't affected is a lie. But any excuse to blow up the Kano forums I guess...
they literally said it was gone though

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
@KingHippo just what kind of research was done? I'm assuming you went through every patch and hotfix to make sure that the changes were indeed false, correct?

Seems suspicious to talk about NRS's poor documentation of changes in the first paragraph then go on to put various forums on blast for simply questioning whether or not a move has changed. We know for a fact that there are moves that changed properties with no documentation.
They're complaining about stuff without actually testing it properly. Yeah you can question whether something was stealth nerfed/buffed but it's dumb to go online and complain about it and put NRS on blast when you're just being an idiot.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Interesting. Remember, you asked for this @KingHippo.

Nice use of propaganda being that Paulo was not responding to neither I nor @Derptile in that comment but the way you placed it in the OP makes it appear that way. Classy.

Now let's start with the fact that every Kano player from Coach Steve himself to Unknown User X noticed there was a Houdini act performed with EX Buff within that time span. Huge coincidence that we "all" noticed it then a day later there were no issues? Damage control on the low? Dunno what to tell you about that. If I'm not high level enough for you ask higher level KANO players who saw it too. Yes? No? Bad idea? This is a fact, not me or Derp creating it illusions. Make sure you say every Kano player on TYM is wrong next time, and though while it's possible, I doubt all of us across different countries noticed the same thing incorrectly at the same time.

As far as Jacqui, more importantly and the part you look incredibly foolish about, I already admitted I was wrong about gun and overreacted, but I'm 100% right about UpRocket changes and only S1 being guaranteed after EX Rockets or a frame perfect character specific F1. Show me your amazing godlike Jacqui that can't be escaped out of UpRockets on block into RC S1. Show me those safe UpR on block follow ups that can't get blown up. Show me your frame traps from EX Rocket into B3 or B2 that are guaranteed like prepatch. Show me BRUH. Show us all how I'm wrong because FA Jacqui can still do all of these things. I'll wait indefinitely for this blowup. Unless I'm playing a completely different game as you, which I highly doubt, your lack of Jacqui knowledge would have served you better keeping quiet as opposed to making yourself look like a baffoon. I've been very positive about my character since switching to Jacqui which most people will attest, and normally I would expect an apology for discrediting my name with foolishness in this manner, but after the few seconds it took to think of who I'm talking to my only disappointment is that you didn't make yourself look worse than you already have.

Gotta admit, it was a good effort though. A huge misfire that is ironically filled with more misinformation than the amount you are battling against, but a good effort nonetheless.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
they literally said it was gone though
Kano yea we all thought it was gone because when we checked it it seemed gone lol. By my own admission the 95% of us saying it was gone could have been wrong and fooled by the changes. Clearly there was a difference as he's trying to slyly suggest that there wasn't.

On Jacqui however he sounds like a clown who has no idea what he's talking about but attempting to blow me up. Literally must have no idea how her pressure worked prepatch to post patch but calls it a myth lol. She's still really good, but the changes to both versions of rockets are what they are and we have to make adjustments now.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Kano yea we all thought it was gone because when we checked it it seemed gone lol. By my own admission the 95% of us saying it was gone could have been wrong and fooled by the changes. Clearly there was a difference as he's trying to slyly suggest that there wasn't.

On Jacqui however he sounds like a clown who has no idea what he's talking about but attempting to blow me up. Literally must have no idea how her pressure worked prepatch to post patch but calls it a myth lol. She's still really good, but the changes to both versions of rockets are what they are and we have to make adjustments now.
i'm pretty sure he's referring to the gun thing

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
i'm pretty sure he's referring to the gun thing
Then why cherry pick my posting when I've clearly admitted I was wrong about that already after Day 2.5 and spoke of only Rockets ever since? Or post Colt's response to two OTHER people who were saying retarded shit under me and Derp with "you're both wrong" at the start of the post to appear as if it is us? Could it be a way to attack me due to suffering from thin skin disease from overexposure of taking it personal when I call him out on up playing characters he doesn't use?

One just may believe so. One just may believe. :coffee:

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
What a stupid little thread.

The armor on EX buff may not have literally disappeared as many of us thought, but what seems to have happened was given the faster startup and resolving of the move itself, the aor was appearing so briefly that it was ESSENTIALLY gone. It may have been lurking for a frame somewhere, but NONE of the players testing it were able to reliably use EX Buff to armor through moves any more.

You're taking the letter of our issue and not the spirit buddy. Sure, me saying 'ex Buff no longer has armor' after trying it out myself for 20mimutes or so and being unable to armor through shit, turned out not to be entirely correct. The correct was to say it would have been 'ex buff has either intermittent armor or the window had been reduced to such a small one that it's effectively useless'

But ya know what? Either one is correct. Ex buff wasn't useable to armor through anything. You are arguing semantics to put a community on blast for a legit issue. If an entire community tested an issue and came to the same conclusion.. It's curious, that after the fact, YOU by yourself, have come to a separate conclusion.

Not to mention your extensive testing is interesting, given the entire community found the armor to be absent entirely or at the very least, unuseable in its current form. Then it was later BUFFED.

You do realize it's the height of hippocritical bullshit to put people on blast for spreading misinformation, only to be spreading it yourself?

But your right, you, alone and singular, are far better equipped to tell the entire Kano community how something was or wasn't working several days and days after the initial patch. I guess you rolled back to previous versions to test this? Or did you just take Paulo saying the armor was never gone to heart and assume he was correct? Because given the vomit of ignorance and lies that NRS spews fourth, I hardly think anything he says should be taken as fact when faced vs extensive testing by a number of people. Netcode springs to mind.

Sorry. I appreciate the effort at humor but the level hippocracy is so high I had to air out my browser to purge the stink of your bullshit.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
The unreliability of human memory combined with alterations to the movelist to more accurately reflect the actual move's data can lead many a player down this road.

I am guilty of this sin. I incorrectly reported a nerf on Jax's Gotcha Grab, although I am still unsure whether my memory just crapped its guts out, or there was a correction to the movelist. Either way, the move itself was unchanged. My bad.

I'm turning myself in guys. Outing myself to the conmunity as a dirty false reporter of move changes. Nobody in the MK community will ever look at me the same way again, but my overwhelming guilt has compelled me to face the music. May God have mercy on my soul.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I'm not sure that Paulo was being honest, whether intentional or not, about Kano. I tested the day the patch came out and could not get his armour to work, but the day the hotfix came out all of a sudden it did work again.

I wouldn't put it last NRS to accidentally remove it.