Understanding these guides... (Noob questions)

Discussion in '[MK9] Strategy Zone' started by EgC Awake, Apr 2, 2012.

1. EgC Awake

EgC Awake Noob

Hi guys,

New to MK9, (or really competitive MK in general). When i am reading a characters combo guide say "Johnny Cage" for example and I see the annotations as:

njp, F4, 2, 2, 44 nut punch 33%

(Neutral Jump Punch?, Forward 4, 2, 2, (Quick 44) nut punch?)

Am I reading that correct?

Another example:

21F2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 114 nut punch 40% (number of consecutive "2"s can range from 1-6. Recommended for damage and ease is 5).

(2,1, Forward 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 1,1,4, nut punch?)

Do the numbers 114, mean like a "cancel" from SF where i just tap instead of having a slight delay?
    Thanks in advance, sorry for not using search I thought this would be a bit more then general.
    Also any guides you guys may have to post are greatly appreciated..

Thanks,

Awake

2. yautjared

yautjared oh my!
    Premium Supporter

you are reading correctly, but, cancel some comand, button, whatever, sometimes, comes with the ~ simbol :

like , for example, F3, 2~NDC with Kabal : forward 3, 2, and before 2 command button animation on combo string ends, do the nomad dash, and cancel it asap (back + block)

3. Fraud Blank

Fraud Blank Gotta Live and Learn
    Premium Supporter

1 = :fp
    2 = :bp
    3 = :fk
    4 = :bk

4. yautjared

yautjared oh my!
    Premium Supporter

when you have , for example, 114, or 224, whatever, does not mean "quick".... it's simple a notation about a complete combo string, using, in the 114 example, button 1 twice, and button 4, once ......... simply like that

5. EgC Awake

EgC Awake Noob

Thanks very much yautjared. I wasn't too sure on the 21f2 inputs.

6. yautjared

yautjared oh my!
    Premium Supporter

yep, Johnny Cage famous combo string, hum ? I love 2,1,forward 2 with him, hehe :D

7. eskuAdradit0

eskuAdradit0 "Thanks" button abuser.

I'll fix those for you
    nJP xx F+4 xx 2 xx 2 xx 4,4, nut punch
    Nuetral jump punch, connected to f+4, connected to 2, connected to 2, connected to 4 cancelled into 4 cancelled into nut punch.
    May be "cancelled" instead of "connected". Can't remember.
    It basically means that you should wait a little for connect 2 with another 2 instead of going for "2,2". Imagine you want to link a lot of standing 1 in a combo, but the character has a 1,1,1 string. You'd have to write 1 xx 1 xx 1 which is three standing 1 commands whereas 1,1,1 means cancel 1 with 1 with 1 (which is the supposed string string).

2,1,f+2 xx 2 xx 2 xx 2 xx 2 xx 2 xx 2 xx 1,1,4, nut punch

2 cancelled into 1 cancelled into f+2 (f and 2 pressed at the same time) connected to 2 connected to 2 connected to 2 connected to 2 connected to 2 connected to 2 connected to 1 cancelled into 1 cancelled into 4 cancelled into nut punch.

Thing is, since MK's move list is so basic and there's this dial-in strings system, and on top of that a lot of combo starters/launchers are also a character's main blockstring (which is stupid imo), people easily recognize what you're referring when you write "famous" combos such as JC's corner combos you just mentioned.

Want a tip? Finish it with 4,4, nutpunch. Does 1% damage as far as I can recall.