What's new

Understanding and Playing Footsies in Injustice by MK_TomBrady

Tom Brady explains the concept of footsies and applies it to Injustice. He explains the differences from Mortal Kombat 9 and what we were used to with cancel-able dashes. Tom also talks about the two major factors of footsies, including explaining space control. This is a concept that Tom feels has been holding many players back by not understanding. Well, here is a full video of Tom explaining making this video a must watch for all NRS competitors.

edited/promoted by STORMS*

Attachments

Last edited:

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
Actually... Lex beats Aquaman.. Why? Anti-footsies..
An unpunishable ridiculously long ranged jump 3 which he can convert into a free trait armor charge, which also helps break Aquaman's footsie dominance, especially if the Lex player blocks with his trait on. Lex punishes people for trying to punish him. Also, Aquaman's wakeup still isn't the greatest, as there's still no answer for Lex jump 3 converted into combos, and mine setups on Aquaman work wonders.
100% agree on that matchup.

The patience and precision with which you explain not one but two footsie matchups here is excellent. Grrrrrr8 stuff here, Tom.

Actually... Lex beats Aquaman.. Why? Anti-footsies..
Well, I guess you wouldn't know the story behind this, but I got into a huge argument with LOTF because he wanted to convince me that anti-footsie characters/playstyle didn't exist and I called bullshit on him.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
Great video, especially for people who don't understand or grasp this concept. I do have some stuff I really wanted to add also if I could. I completely agree that the top tiers can play footsie and are the only ones in the game that can, however I am one of those people that say there isn't an really footsies in this game strictly because almost the entire cast can't play footsies or you have characters that break the footsies rule like Doomsday and Bane. Space control is a huge part of footsies but what this game is missing is alot of thorough ways to bait whiffs. It could be because I play tekken alot which is a footsies heavy game that purposely throwing deceptive moves to bait and punish is a huge part also. Whiffing anything in this game is death due to how unforgiving in this game is. The concept of footsies really is in any game but the reason I said it hardly appliesin this game is because a select few characters can actually play footsies properly and there are characters that can careless about footsies and others that have to take stupid risks to establish any kind of footsie game.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
Good video and explanation.

Anti footsie characters exist in a lot of fighting games, so that is nothing new.

Mind Flex

Mind Gamer. BOOSH
Wow. This was a great explanation. I have pretty much always understood the concept of spacing, but I never really quite understood how it was related to footsies. Does anyone have any suggestions on drills or characters to practice footsies with?

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
Great stuff, Tom. Liked the video a lot.

For more on footsies try this: Click on this LINK
and for more on injustice footsies here's some video examples: View this LINK as well.

This is how we help the community level up. This is how you get players hooked on the mind games, spacing, and glorious reads that are fighting games.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
Nice video very in depth

Only think is footsies aren't what dominate in injustice it's just mobility and space control, the best characters all have great space control, great mobility or both
Like with ares and WW he issue was his walkspeed is horrible while she has better walking and an air dash, I mean her normals are better than his too but a character with better mobility or space control who still has shitty pokes can compete. That's part of the reason characters like batgirl and Zod are as good as they are, and Martian has the best space control and mobility in the game, part of why he's he best.
Could say more but don't wanna rant, nice informative video

GTDoffen

Meet your fate...
Would you say that characters with armor is considered anti-footsie characters? Like you say, Bane with his amor breaks the fundamental rules of footsies with his armoured attacks. So therefore we can roughly categorize characters with armor on their moves as anti-footsie characters?

The_Furax

I accept nothing. Nothing is inevitable.
Tom mentioned about vortex characters but what do these kind of characters do in fact? Some of them can play footsies as well, maybe not footsies characters like AM but they also can do it and deal with it quite well like KF I think.

Would you say that characters with armor is considered anti-footsie characters? Like you say, Bane with his amor breaks the fundamental rules of footsies with his armoured attacks. So therefore we can roughly categorize characters with armor on their moves as anti-footsie characters?
They're grapplers...

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Well, I guess you wouldn't know the story behind this, but I got into a huge argument with LOTF because he wanted to convince me that anti-footsie characters/playstyle didn't exist and I called bullshit on him.
I don't even remember this argument. Must have been trolling you or something.

GTDoffen

Meet your fate...
They're grapplers...
Yeah, that is their character archetype. I was just thinking that their core playstyle completely breaks with the concept of footsies. Can you think of any better ways to counter general footsies? That is sort of why I asked if you can call a character like Bane an anti-footsie character :)

Tom mentioned about vortex characters but what do these kind of characters do in fact? Some of them can play footsies as well, maybe not footsies characters like AM but they also can do it and deal with it quite well like KF I think.
A rushdown character isnt neccessarily incapable of zoning, but you define a characters' playstyle based on their strong points. Aquaman is not at his strongest by playing a mixup type of game, his footsies are his strength. Wonderwoman has probably top 5 footsies in the game, but at the end of the day, her vortex game is what you want to get started because thats the easiest way for her to get damage in.