What's new

UMK2 hacker WILL be working on UMK3! discussions inside?

With the hack finally going public for UMK2, it was confirmed that the same hacker will be working with UMK3 as well. Now, I brought this up a while back on one of the first UMK2 threads - just some ideas that might balance the game, or other enhancements in general. @Shock weighed in a little too.
Not that I'm saying the hacker will be open to suggestions - with the great work he did on U-MK2, he may already have some balancing in mind - but how about some ideas/discussion?

Some nice changes I could see...
Bank
Red Portal
Wavenet Noob, - Give him his teleport punch.
force HP/LP corner pushback from 3 hits to 2, eliminating corner jab lockdown
And maybe eliminate those golden-kara-glitch jabs. -edit: scratch that. this is part of the game. this may be an "unfortunate" bred-in portion of run canceling, but it's part of the game, and after learning it, removing this ability would completely change the dynamic of the game.
MK3 announcer for "wins" with Jade, Scorpion, Kitana, and Reptile. Mileena and Ermac have new "wins" announcer voice, so yeah.

@Shock mentioned increasing recovery frames in order to eliminate the jab lockdown.

Other balancing ideas -
either adjust the hit boxes, or add a recovery frame or two to all the characters that have relaunch ability.

Mileena has one or two CPU exclusive combos - make it where regular players can use them.

Kabal -
6 hit limit on his air fireball, or disable it after a spin.
Perhaps change the button combination for the air fireball to prevent IAF's

Scorpion -
for goodness sakes give this specter a pop up! he's the only male ninja without one - for being Ed Boon's favorite character, he dropped the ball on this.

maybe change the character voice on either human smoke or kabal - their voices get annoying during matches. LOL.

There's a ton more I was thinking of but I'm exhausted and don't want to make this post too long.

Last edited:

MKK hanzo

No please, leave it as is. If much add the mentioned pushback on the corner but thats it. Gold/kara punches are part of high level gameplay. Leave it as is please (And Scorp just give him fwd tlpt or less recovery on tlpts ala MKT n64)

Either way, "vanilla" UMK3 is the tourney standar worlwide, I personally dont see any custom version as a tourney standard.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
To me the main make or break thing about Kabal in UMK3 is the lack of startup on spin. His runjab and AFB game were kind of by chance. Making saw useful is a crap shoot.

I think faster startup on classic Sub's freeze would help him out considerably.

I know this is almost a dead set given, but MAKE U.SUBS/KUNG LAO's SUJK STARTERS WORK ON FEMALE NINJAS

Cyrax's Anti Air should be usable at any time.

Jade gets her AI damage scaling.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed how irritating that voice sample is. "hah. hah hah." "oh oh oh oh" "aie aie aie" -_-

All off the top of my head though. This isn't gonna happen overnight.

I think of krusty the clown at times when I hear that voice sample.

now that I've gotten better at the Golden punches, and how to counter them, it's not so bad.

Definitely agree on start up on classic sub's freeze

And although I think it's cool we could call on Robo smoke to take an oncoming asteroid out of orbit for us with that air throw, I don't think he needs to have that crazy priority in the game.

Last edited:

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
I think one of the best changes that can be done is, like mentioned, fix it so the start up/lead in combo hits work on the female ninjas. Also, fixing Scorpion's "Get Over H-" problem would be good too. We all know when the spear hits the opponent, the sound effect cuts off Scorpion's "Get Over Here!"

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
What do I have to buy to play umk2?
Sorry for my ignorance but I really like this game , I already have it on Xbox klassic edition.
You just need to have MAME or Kaillera. UMK2 is an unlicensed hack/patch which will only work on the PC. Unfortunately, we can't link you to the game as it would be a violation of the forum rules, so you'll have to be creative in searching for it on the web.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
What do I have to buy to play umk2?
Sorry for my ignorance but I really like this game , I already have it on Xbox klassic edition.
You have to get MAME ( an arcade emulator ), a Mortal Kombat II ROM (which you can not get on this website, try googling it), and download the patch. With the patch there is instructions on how to install it.

You have to get MAME ( an arcade emulator ), a Mortal Kombat II ROM (which you can not get on this website, try googling it), and download the patch. With the patch there is instructions on how to install it.
Thanks I will get on it. Great idea I new the original version was
In need of a fix , it didn't give much option on defences for some characters
Cheers

nwo

Noob
I wouldn't touch UMK3 other than add the bank background, fix the Scorpion / h.Smoke "Get Over H-" sound glitch, remove corner jab traps, and it would be interesting if Shang Tsung had instant morphs (like 1 frame morphs) and morph backs, since he's such a low tier anyway.

Re-launchers, infinities, and kara-jabs are just part of the game.

BustaUppa

Westbury Nathan's 4 Life
To me the main make or break thing about Kabal in UMK3 is the lack of startup on spin. His runjab and AFB game were kind of by chance. Making saw useful is a crap shoot.
I was just thinking about this the other day. Personally, I think adding startup to the spin would change the way Kabal plays too much. There are other possible ways to bring it down to earth, that would keep Kabal's overall play style the same.

I'd suggest some (but not all) of the following changes to the spin:
- Same startup, but shorter travel distance. Less opportunity for Kabal to full-screen punish.
- Spun opponent is treated as airborne, providing anti-air juggle opportunity rather than full ground combo
- Duration of opponent's containment varies with Spin's travel distance, i.e. a point-blank spin keeps him contained the longest
- Push back the hitbox so it's easier to hit Kabal out of spin
- longer recovery on block

I'd also want to beef up the ground saw like you said. Allow it to set up the balanced version of the spin at least.

Re-launchers, infinities, and kara-jabs are just part of the game.
I have to disagree-- if a balancing hack doesn't address that kind of stuff, then what's the point? UMK3 1.2 will still be around. People will always be able to play that if they want the original experience warts and all.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
As soon as I get word on the potential UMK3 "TE" project, I will let people know, but likely not in the forums to prevent suggestion overflow, as it's best to receive some kind of product and evaluate and submit after seeing changes for ourselves. The developer for UMKII obviously knows what at he is doing so I'm confident a UMK3 TE would be just as good. As much as we love UMK3, and many players don't want to see it touched, you have to be honest with yourselves and accept that some characters need balancing and some cannot compete, some moves and concepts are extremely broken, and while they don't ruin the game to high level players, entry level players are doomed. UMK3 balanced could actually become an extremely popular tournament game again. Even UMKII might still have some trouble reaching reasonable numbers but something as simple as the corner jab infinite in 2D games (which is eliminated from MKII now) inhibits tournament growth and something has to be done. We have a long time before another MK game comes out and I'd like to see some MK players have a reason to come back out, these two games would be just that.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I was just thinking about this the other day. Personally, I think adding startup to the spin would change the way Kabal plays too much. There are other possible ways to bring it down to earth, that would keep Kabal's overall play style the same.

I'd suggest some (but not all) of the following changes to the spin:
- Same startup, but shorter travel distance. Less opportunity for Kabal to full-screen punish.
- Spun opponent is treated as airborne, providing anti-air juggle opportunity rather than full ground combo
- Duration of opponent's containment varies with Spin's travel distance, i.e. a point-blank spin keeps him contained the longest
- Push back the hitbox so it's easier to hit Kabal out of spin
- longer recovery on block

I'd also want to beef up the ground saw like you said. Allow it to set up the balanced version of the spin at least.
- Hmm, I actually like this idea, not bad.
-Wouldn't he technically get more damage from that assuming you could get the AA HP, HP BNB?
- Could do, if the variables are possible.
- You'd still be doing it on a whim though.
- Wouldn't hurt, but in the grand scheme it would only affect punishing online.

Yeah, I'd probably go with the first one.

nwo

Noob
I have to disagree-- if a balancing hack doesn't address that kind of stuff, then what's the point? UMK3 1.2 will still be around. People will always be able to play that if they want the original experience warts and all.
I wasn't necessarily referring to a "balancing" hack, but if I was, I'd probably take the approach of beefing some low tier characters up.

Re-launchers, infinites, and kara-jabs are just part of the game.

Of course....eliminating this would take Lao out of the top 10 ;)

Certain characters being susceptible to the relaunch really hurts them. I actually LIKE the fact that some characters juggle and fall differently, but to eliminate (or make it nearly impossible) for easily relaunches characters to get relaunched would balance things a LITTLE, at least from character vs character perspective.