What's new

Ugh Bungie...Locked Content: Your thoughts?

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
Surrendering to "industry standards" is how we got here in the first place. When Microsoft shat in their customers mouths over crooked used games and kinect, the customers fought back and they won. Turning a blind eye is only ensuring the next incarnation will be worse.
I see the exact opposite. Microsoft didn't go with their vision and now we have a pretty mediocre system. Their original idea was actually next gen. Now it's just more of the same. The populous doesn't see future possibilities they just want what they already know.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Isn't that how it is for most games nowadays? They only sell you a fraction of the game at a time. Just look at KI lol.

DavS13

Noob
I dont even care anymore at this point, its such a joke. Im trading this garbage in for Shadow of Mordor tomorrow
How do you plan on doing that? That's a good idea, I'm kind of fed up with destiny too and I'v wanted to get shadow of mordor for quite sometime but I didn't want to buy that and destiny. You trade on craigslist or something?

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
People were probably hopeful that the full game would be completely different than the beta.
Oh dear.
It was just mass effect x boarderlands + call of duty. with a sprinkle of Halo.
Nothing next gen, nothing surprising with activision backing it, what do you expect.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I think the main issue here is that there's so little actual content in the game. It seems really lackluster, then you learn there's DLC already on the disc, but it's held back for a later date. So basically, why did we buy this game at release? DLC was going to happen regardless, but it shouldn't be huge chunks of the game, it should be additional content to supplement the experience. Why are we having to wait on DLC already on the disc when we've already purchased the game?

Let's say it isn't finished yet. How the hell is it not finished? The game has been in production for 7 years with a 500+ million dollar budget. How is it not finished?

If there was enough content and replay value to go around, this locked DLC on disc thing wouldn't be that big of a deal, hell, I surely wouldn't care. But I don't even want to play it right now because there's no point. I have to wait for DLC that should have been in the out of the box game, because the content just isn't there as it currently stands.

E

Eldriken

It's locked on disc content. No matter how you try and justify it.
I know it's locked on-disc content. I just have a bigger issue with locked content being something that adds to the game than I do with locked content that's cosmetic.

trufenix

bye felicia
I see the exact opposite. Microsoft didn't go with their vision and now we have a pretty mediocre system. Their original idea was actually next gen. Now it's just more of the same. The populous doesn't see future possibilities they just want what they already know.
Completely different. This isn't about good vs bad or potential vs entropy, this is about supply and demand. Microsoft (supply) didn't do what the consumers wanted (demand) and they paid the price. Its up to them to present a product in a way that appeals to the consumers or get the hell out of the way of someone who will.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Dude, some of the content that we saw in that video is part of an expansion pack. I would NOT be surprised if upon its release it's only a 108kb file that we download, which is merely an UNLOCK file that gives you access to the content. If that's what it is, then the full content of the expansion pack is on the disc, just locked away.
Yeah, I hear you. I guess it will only make me upset if we are asked to pay for it. Have they announced already that they will indeed be charging for this content that is already on disc? I remember being absolutely disgusted by Capcom when they did this. If this is the case, it looks like I'll be trading in Destiny to buy Shadow of Mordor.

trufenix

bye felicia
People were probably hopeful that the full game would be completely different than the beta.
It has been at least 15 years since a "beta" was anything more than a pwipe / server reset away from full release. At this point a "beta test" is just QA for day 1 patch.

Well...this is pretty much the last straw for me. I was seriously planning to grab destiny just as soon as I had the funds for a PS4.....but after everything I've heard along with this I think I'm gonna save my money. What a dissapointment Bungie. The fanboy in me really wants to lay all the blame at activisions feet....but I'd probably be fooling myself.

Lol i bet if this game had no dlc everyone would be bitching "wow this is bullshit, why wouldnt they put dlc in this game" LBSH everyone its not like dlc is released every week forcing you to buy it. It gets released way later into the games life span which is what like a couple of months down the road? If you cant save up 10-20 bucks a few months down the road. Dlc on the disc should be the last of your worries.

Also plz stop bringing up goro from mkx. Hes a pre order bonus....you literally pay NOTHING extra to get him....i seriously dont understand why people dont get that. Ive already preordered and paid off mkx and it cost me 59.99 with tax. Im paying the same amount as you but getting a free character if you decide not to do it.

Gamers these days feel so entitled to stuff. Be glad that the current generation of new games are still only 60 bucks. Tbh they have every motive to increase prices to at least 79.99 for a regular edition of the game now.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Tell me another story about The Shepherd. :DOGE

Edit: I'm sure in a year or so Destiny will be much cooler than it is right now. Growing pains and all.

Edit 2: lol "I remember a fighting a game that did this".

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Well...this is pretty much the last straw for me. I was seriously planning to grab destiny just as soon as I had the funds for a PS4.....but after everything I've heard along with this I think I'm gonna save my money. What a dissapointment Bungie. The fanboy in me really wants to lay all the blame at activisions feet....but I'd probably be fooling myself.
For the record, I've been playing it a shitload since release, and have had a super fun time playing it.

If I went back in time I would buy it again, it's definitely been worth the money to me.

I feel like most of the complaints about the game aren't so much "this game isn't fun" as "this game wasn't everything that I wanted it to be"

I mean people pay 60$ for Call of Duty just to play multiplayer, and I enjoy Destiny multiplayer more than any CoD that I've tried, plus I enjoyed developing my character, finding gear, experiencing the different worlds, etc.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Remember when injustice did this, and people were constructive and trying to decide what it all meant?

I miss those days.

BlackBryan

B*tch Distributor
Dear Haters,

Now you're mad because a company is pacing the release of the the biggest and longest supported software launch in console history. You loved the idea that Bungie(or any company) wanted to try and keep a steady flow of content for upwards of 10 years, yet you want to try and blow though it in 2 days. Not what the game was intended for in the least bit. I swear to god; gamers are the most impossible group to please. This game was way too short, that game wasn't long enough. This game isn't cod, that game isn't a cod clone. This game gets patched too much, where are all the patches?! this shit is broken.
Do us all a favor and stop critiquing anything. You're doing it with no thought process, whilst not even having the credentials or knowledge of any one subject/game to critique anything to begin with. Sorry, not sorry. You suck at bizness.

Sincerely
-BB

Dear Haters,

Now you're mad because a company is pacing the release of the the biggest and longest supported software launch in console history. You loved the idea that Bungie(or any company) wanted to try and keep a steady flow of content for upwards of 10 years, yet you want to try and blow though it in 2 days. Not what the game was intended for in the least bit. I swear to god; gamers are the most impossible group to please. This game was way too short, that game wasn't long enough. This game isn't cod, that game isn't a cod clone. This game gets patched too much, where are all the patches?! this shit is broken.
Do us all a favor and stop critiquing anything. You're doing it with no thought process, whilst not even having the credentials or knowledge of any one subject/game to critique anything to begin with. Sorry, not sorry. You suck at bizness.

Sincerely
-BB
Let's be serious here. This game won't last 10 years. Not even close.

Not long ago, you had people shooting at a cave for hours on end. What does it say about a game's longevity, that at any point in time, players will decide the optimal thing to do is go shoot at a cave for hours?

And I'm not spoiled either, as I haven't expected anything from Destiny that other game's haven't already achieved.

Remember when injustice did this, and people were constructive and trying to decide what it all meant?

I miss those days.
To be fair to NRS, I'm pretty sure what they found *was* just placeholder data for future content. We didn't find full models of Batgirl, Scorpion, and Lobo on the disc...though someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.