What's new

TYM's IGAU November tier list

GGA Saucy Jack

The artist formerly known as ImNewbieSauce
You could do a weighted system based on tier position. Losing to a high tier character hurt your position more than losing to a lower tier one. It's not completely accurate, but it's a fairly practical way of dealing with the 'losing to Zatanna matters less than losing to Aquaman' issue. Generally you're more likely to run into a good tournament play using a high tier character that you lose to, and if you run into a crappy tournament player using a low tier character that you lose to the match up numbers are less likely to play a large role in the results

This brings up an interesting point.

I have this discussion constantly with people and we really have never come to a conclusion. The general argument is as follows:

"Character A is the best"

"No no Character B is the best"

"But look at Character A's MU chart, Character A 7-3s the bottom half of the cast. Those numbers may inflate what this character is, but the numbers are the numbers, you can't ignore them."

"Yea, but Character B goes even with the three best characters in the game, while Character A loses 3-7 to all of them. And you are going to see way more of those top 3 characters, than the shite ones, so those numbers shouldn't matter."

And then we talk in circles for hours and hours until in the end we agree that Quan Chi is probably the best in the game and we were all just too lazy to learn the Kabal matchup. Or some other trolly conclusion.

The point is, I can see both sides of the argument, as can everyone I talk to. What we have concluded is that in the above example, character A is a "better overall character" but character B is a "better tournament character". Not that I want to muddle up the already confusing tier list conversations, but, in all reality, these two designations are actually very legit. Overall character placement, and tourney character placement, are not always the same thing.

PunkMafia83

PSN: YaRnToNpUnKMAFIA
You cannot make a normal tier list in this game. The game has some really wonky numbers in it tbh. Some mid tiers can kill the high tiers yet loose to the low tiers. It's all very odd. It's a fun game but it is impossible to balance and make a tier list. It's just the way it's the games put together. Everyone so quit reading and building tier lists. Just roll with your favourite/cheapest/favourite cheapest character.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
zaf this is exactly what I was talking about when I asked you the first time. Look at how the thread devolved into randoms and butthurt people trashing the list.

Amazing.
You cannot make a normal tier list in this game. The game has some really wonky numbers in it tbh. Some mid tiers can kill the high tiers yet loose to the low tiers. It's all very odd. It's a fun game but it is impossible to balance and make a tier list. It's just the way it's the games put together. Everyone so quit reading and building tier lists. Just roll with your favourite/cheapest/favourite cheapest character.
I take this is your first fighting game.
This game is so easy, I can get 5th place in a tournament without even touching the game at all anymore.
Yup.

PunkMafia83

zaf this is exactly what I was talking about when I asked you the first time. Look at how the thread devolved into randoms and butthurt people trashing the list.

Amazing.
I take this is your first fighting game.
Yup.
Proper 2d game. Vanilla SF4 had wonky match ups at the top 2.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Proper 2d game. Vanilla SF4 had wonky match ups at the top 2.
Tier lists are not based on "how well this character does against a top tier", but the number of good and bad mus, like the chart in the op. It's not odd that a character beats another one, every fg has been like that since the history of human kind.

PunkMafia83

Tier lists are not based on "how well this character does against a top tier", but the number of good and bad mus, like the chart in the op. It's not odd that a character beats another one, every fg has been like that since the history of human kind.
I see your point. Just seems like a lot of 7 3 match ups at the mo. This could change. Also people need to admit to 7 3's. But yeah I see your point.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
I see your point. Just seems like a lot of 7 3 match ups at the mo. This could change. Also people need to admit to 7 3's. But yeah I see your point.
That is true, but it's gonna be refined. People should just calm their tits.

The replies on this thread:

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Your aquaman bodied my Bane I think. I dunno, I'm really off my rocker tonight.

Anyways imo, the game isn't developed enough to have concrete numbers stuck onto it. Likewise, I don't feel like a character can be a "better tournament character" by how he fights the top tiers since, frankly, the game is slowly but surely getting more diversified. I mean we had a Bane v Shazam in losers finals in this last major, if that's not a sign that "even with top" mentality might be flawed I don't know what is. Fighting the top tiers is losing importance when you consider theres now a huge group of upper mids who are starting to pop up.

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
Yeah, it's clearly the matchup and not the fact that Black Mamba CONSTANTLY SLID INTO AIR AXES FOR A GRANT TOTAL OF NEARLY 150%.

Even if you're trolling (wtf where did blackmamba #1 frost come from?), you need to try harder. This isn't even up to your pathetic standards.

And lol at "one of her worst matchups." At that mid, instead of sliding at your first opportunity straight into an air axe, you wait. If he air axes, punish with daggers to MB iceberg to vortex. If he jumps in on you, you anti-air. Everything else will whiff or gets creamed by slide.
The Sinestro downplayers say its 7-3 because Sinestro is bad and has to make good reads despite limiting the opponents options to the point where they only have a select few to choose from whilst Killer Frost upplayers say its 7-3 because they have been mislead into believing Killer Frost is viable or have ulterior motives to try and erase their previous mk9 character downplaying careers

The Sinestro downplayers say its 7-3 because Sinestro is bad and has to make good reads despite limiting the opponents options to the point where they only have a select few to choose from whilst Killer Frost upplayers say its 7-3 because they have been mislead into believing Killer Frost is viable or have ulterior motives to try and erase their previous mk9 character downplaying careers
KF limiting the opponent's options to a few choices that are punishable in her favor is EXACTLY her modus operandi. That's her strength, not her weakness.

And are you seriously calling PLAYING TO W1N a Sinestro downplayer? If anything, I think he's overoptimistic.

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
I think it's great that constructing a bottom 3 or bottom 5 is incredibly difficult for this game. It doesn't mean those characters are bad or without tools like it does in other games, and the game's been adapting since the days of people saying Hawkgirl was the worst in the game without question.

My bottom 3 MIIIIIIGHT be something like this:
Joker
Lex
MylesWright's Killer Frost

Rickyraws

I think it's great that constructing a bottom 3 or bottom 5 is incredibly difficult for this game. It doesn't mean those characters are bad or without tools like it does in other games, and the game's been adapting since the days of people saying Hawkgirl was the worst in the game without question.

Joker
Lex

Oh snap! You sure told HIM Ricky!

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing

Joker
Lex
Lex Luthor isn't a bottom 3 character and neither is my Killer Frost. Its funny that a person who isn't blind to the severe flaws of a character widely considered top 5 is automatically perceived as bad at the game

Rickyraws

Lex Luthor isn't a bottom 3 character and neither is my Killer Frost. Its funny that a person who isn't blind to the severe flaws of a character widely considered top 5 is automatically perceived as bad at the game
I think you missed what I was inferring, sir.

You're perceived as bad at the game because you're bad at the game, not because of your views. Your views are merely resultant from you being bad at the game.

Also Ricky, wtf at the triple post lol

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
You're perceived as bad at the game because you're bad at the game, not because of your views. Your views are merely resultant from you being bad at the game.

Also Ricky, wtf at the triple post lol
Your bad at the game
Where's the evidence to prove this wrong