What's new

Trouble Teching Throws

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
i see people teching throws all the time, yet for some reason i can't seem to do it, do they know its coming?

some people make it look so easy, but even in training mode i can't stop throws like 90% of the time.

anyone got any tips? Because i'd hate to start losing to people who figure this out and will just throw all day :/

i see people teching throws all the time, yet for some reason i can't seem to do it, do they know its coming?

some people make it look so easy, but even in training mode i can't stop throws like 90% of the time.

anyone got any tips? Because i'd hate to start losing to people who figure this out and will just throw all day :/
I don't know the full details of the highest level players and how they tech throws. Certainly some people do it by accident by simply trying to throw at the same time their opponent does -- because if you get to a certain level, you see the opportunity to throw (immediately) when you find the range -- it's almost instant. But yes, there are certain types of players that will SET UP a throw a certain way, and other players will simply figure out how they're setting up their throw and tech it perfectly.

But teching throws, based on what I've seen, is really not a make it or break it tournament level thing that is even that important.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
but yeah, my criteria for doing a throw is basically this. Gee i havent thrown in a while and wouldnt be expecting one now, TIME TO THROW!!. and guess what, 9/10 it usually connects.

but besides that, the fact that teching a throw is basically a 50/50 in and of its self is kinda dumb. I liked injustice tech mechanic better.

ando1184

Noob
but yeah, my criteria for doing a throw is basically this. Gee i havent thrown in a while and wouldnt be expecting one now, TIME TO THROW!!. and guess what, 9/10 it usually connects.

but besides that, the fact that teching a throw is basically a 50/50 in and of its self is kinda dumb. I liked injustice tech mechanic better.
This thread is labeled under injustice gods among us, so are we talking bout that game or mkx?

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
This thread is labeled under injustice gods among us, so are we talking bout that game or mkx?
....i really didnt notice, it was a while since i made this thread, and i just checked my alerts and immediately made a reply. Lol

but your right, a modderator should go ahead and move this to general, as i have trouble teching throws in general.

ando1184

Noob
Well in mkx throw breaking is insane. It's a 50/50 with the shortest throw window I've ever seen in a fighting game period. It's confusing as hell to press the correct input half the time too and when you do guess right it still might not work unless your mashing. I'm speaking for offline games, not just online. It's something I think they should adjust a bit to make it more manageable. In Injustice it was easy, just press L1 (throw button) and the window wasn't nearly as tight either, but in mkx it's all kinds of a headache. I bet half the time we see even tourney players breaking throws it's an accident lol.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
so basically throws are free in mkx? thats what your telling me? lol

btw i still had trouble breaking throws in injustice, i don't know why, but i can never see them comming either. Unless someone is throwing me multiple times, i have no reason to ever suspect a throw. how do you guys deal with this?! xD

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
@Invincible Salads - I went ahead and moved this to the MKX forum even though I know you are talking about throws in general, because it does have the most activity on here right now. I hope you do not mind.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
thats fine i guess, i just hope they add a couple more frames to the throw tech window. So throws are slightly less free.
It's more to do with the fact that you have to make two guesses at the exact same time a throw happens...first, you release block, then you guess what direction they want to throw you in and tap the corresponding attack button. I trust you can already see the issues here.

If it wasn't for the fact that you could crouch or jump throws to begin with, we'd be hopeless.

I REALLY wish they kept Injustice's tech system for throws, minus the screen zooming in so that they don't become too weak but are not too much at the same time. As it stands, throws are almost always guaranteed to work. :(

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
All I say is if anybody claims to tech throws on reaction are spoofing the fuck outta them selves.

For me 97% accidental 3% read

It's situational and takes more effort/understanding compared to games like SF.

The throws in MK are similar to Tekken except for the fact that Tekken has unique animations for forward/back throws. Making throws in MK 50/50s.

However, it's easy to guess if its forward or back throw by your positioning on the screen. The hard part is knowing your opponent's tick throw setups.

for the most part you want to attempt to at least tech the throw that would corner you. Typically that is the throw that is coming, that at least eliminates the guessing portion of it. If you guessed wrong then you are away from corner, which is usually a good thing.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Since you can't tech while blocking anyways, it's better to just neutral duck and punish or neutral jump and punish. Though they should have a slightly bigger whiff recovery

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
It's still a guessing game. =(

But I abuse the fuck out of throws. >.>
Honestly if you really think they're going to throw you can just neutral crouch and punish. Otherwise you can actually tech but as everyone knows it's a guess as to whether it's a front or back throw.