What's new

Trouble against teleporters

i can't find an option to deal with the aggressive teleporters, its beyond annoying.. especially when u consider shang used to have a teleport himself in armegeddon which he desperately needed, but ofcourse they 86ed this in mk9 leaving him once again at the mercy of teleporters, now i can handle basically any non teleporting character with ease, most times they never even get close, certin one's are no issue like sheeva or even scorpion, but the aggresive fast one's who spam teleport like smoke or raiden.. i just don't see a way around, the matches usually start out simple enough, with me winning, bouncin they ass all over the sky like a shooting star watching them fall, but then... the teleporting starts... then i lose... horribly... i was just wondering if any shang players have discovered a way around these excruciatingly irritating issues? any tips, help, ect, would be appreciated. thanks.

vs raiden try to f434 him right after a teleport. after a blocked super man or smokes teleport do f43 med gs far gs far gs. another far gs will make him want to wake up out of there with teleport and it will hit u so get rdy to block rinse and repeat. smoke is shangs hardest match up in my opinion and you will want to rush him down because his projectile parry works on every one of shangs moves besides SS

so is there any sorta stratagy against smoke or is that just one of those match ups which require more luck than skill?

piemaster

mortal hater
shang vs smoke isnt that bad, at least i dont think so. bait out his teleport and punish it and just dont recklessly rush him down. online is different since they can get away stupid shit if thats what your having trouble with. also when you do above skull pressure if you know hes gonna perry it throw one behind him or in front of him so he still does the perry and you can punish.

hope i help u!

yea baiting that perry = not a smart idea. it sounds like a good stratagy, and i thought for sure it would be but eh.. no. thanks for the tip tho man.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
yea baiting that perry = not a smart idea. it sounds like a good stratagy, and i thought for sure it would be but eh.. no. thanks for the tip tho man.
yet i see no arguements about why it isn't.

i'd much rather "make a mistake" and eat a parry from an upskull blockstring and later condition smoke to parry after it and get 40% rather than no guaranteed damage.

How the hell are you having trouble with teleporters?the only safe teleport is cyblax' and raiden's,every other is very punishable,if people are constantly hitting you with unsafe teleports then you're doing something wrong.

Cyblax is nowhere to be seen online.

Raiden will either block,start a string,or crossover,after the teleport it's purely about reading your opponent.

the speed! if u read my original post.. the speed is obsurd, ESPECIALLY smokey the cheese bandit! and to answer what your fixin to post, no.. it has nothing to do with me *learning to block better* i can assure u i'm a very decent blocker, i've even been called a *block spammer* before, no bs.. certin teleports are so damn fast unless your holding block the second they dial up the move your getting hit, i have watched ranked matches on youtube trying to discover a stratagy against it and still haven't found one.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
the speed! if u read my original post.. the speed is obsurd, ESPECIALLY smokey the cheese bandit! and to answer what your fixin to post, no.. it has nothing to do with me *learning to block better* i can assure u i'm a very decent blocker, i've even been called a *block spammer* before, no bs.. certin teleports are so damn fast unless your holding block the second they dial up the move your getting hit, i have watched ranked matches on youtube trying to discover a stratagy against it and still haven't found one.
The answer honestly is learn to block lol...

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
I agree with foxy. Another thing is: Orginal Shang never had teleport Over 60% of this community will tell you that anything after umk3 was failure.

original shang could also change into ANY character on the game, so YES he did have a teleport, he had EVERY teleport!

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
So let me get this straight,whenever you're not attacking you aren't holding block?
You're standing fullscreen vs any character,you'll let go of block?

that's the only reasonable explanation there is,otherwise you wouldn't be trying to hold block while someones teleporting.

i have no clue what your talking about bro, u have to let go of block in order to attack, move, shoot projectiles, ect.. last i checked anyway..

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Why would smoke teleport when you're doing nothing? I can't remember quite well, but Smoke barely needs to use his parry.
I believe he can just teleport on reaction to every fireball before they hit him. Except on regular fireball, then he can parry AND teleport.
And yes, the matchup against Smoke is THAT bad imo.

Theme

Noob
If your playing 'shoot the skulls!!!' to keep people away from you like Noob Saibot scrubs with Shang Tsung, you are already playing him wrong. Watch Detroit, his Shang Tsung is mighty scary... I've played against him before and I feel as if I cant do shit against him if hes close. Far away, I can take him out with smart teleports and baiting (I play KL) As for Smoke, its damn near impossible to block on reaction, you just have to block-dash to get in. Continuously block against him, or faint him into teleportpunching. Let go of block and block again works.

i have no clue what your talking about bro, u have to let go of block in order to attack, move, shoot projectiles, ect.. last i checked anyway..
You should never try to keep a Smoke away with projectiles, not with any of the casts, much less Shang Tsung, who is a beast upclose. Your only option is to go in for the close-range fight... and that requires you to dash-block in if he is catching you when you jump or just dash by itself with his TP. You have to dash block in. And if your getting hit by his TP, (if your blocking well enough), then that just means you attack at the wrong time.... Let him throw out those TPs, it does 8% while your full combo punishes for him is 30%+, a heavily good trade in your favor. Do GS and SS when he least expect it and keep him in a frametrap.

mekane

Noob
Why would smoke teleport when you're doing nothing? I can't remember quite well, but Smoke barely needs to use his parry.
I believe he can just teleport on reaction to every fireball before they hit him. Except on regular fireball, then he can parry AND teleport.
And yes, the matchup against Smoke is THAT bad imo.
Wait I don't quite understand your post esku, if he can teleport every fireball, should he be able to parry it as well? Isn't smoke parry instant startup?

mekane

Noob
You should never try to keep a Smoke away with projectiles, not with any of the casts, much less Shang Tsung, who is a beast upclose. Your only option is to go in for the close-range fight... and that requires you to dash-block in if he is catching you when you jump or just dash by itself with his TP. You have to dash block in. And if your getting hit by his TP, (if your blocking well enough), then that just means you attack at the wrong time.... Let him throw out those TPs, it does 8% while your full combo punishes for him is 30%+, a heavily good trade in your favor. Do GS and SS when he least expect it and keep him in a frametrap.
I find it very difficult to come at smoke because he has good footsies and movement and can punish whiff with his fast smoke bomb into full combo. i usually try to sit at jump distance and hope i can jump a random smoke bomb for a combo, or build some meter with SS until I can use Ex SS when he throws out a smoke bomb. It would seem like a losing battle to do this but I have found better luck doing this than trying to dash block in and footsy my way in.

Obviously you have to make good reads because SS I believe is slower than smoke bomb, and I believe even if you land the first hit of SS, if he got his smoke bomb off it will hit you and he can still get a combo. and jump kick seems to usually lose out to his anti air 2. if you can get the lifelead though with a Ex SS and some SS chip it becomes advantage shang if he has to come to you.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Wait I don't quite understand your post esku, if he can teleport every fireball, should he be able to parry it as well? Isn't smoke parry instant startup?
You got it wrong. I wasn't saying that he CANT parry. He can parry all of Shangs fireskulls. What I was saying is that Smoke does not NEED to parry/shake any skull in this matchup, since his teleport works better and is less risky.

First, Smoke makes Shang scream "IM YOUR BITCH".

Now, the thing with the parry is that with all the pressure the player may get, sometimes he'll read the wrong fireball and eat a full rollercoaster of ground fireballs for shaking. That's a huge risk for him.

As soon as Shang shows the startup animation of ANY fireball, Smoke can just teleport. It's just a plain counter.
In front Upskull? Teleport.
Above Upskull? Teleport
Behind Upskull? Teleport.
Close Ground skull? Teleport
Medium Ground Skull? Teleport
Far Ground Skull? Teleport
Regular fireskull? Teleport

If smoke where to shake for, let's say, a Above Upskull, it'd be all good for him, but if it were a in front Upskull, then smoke has to take this long ass recovery and Shang may hit him with a far ground skull into EX GS combo. That's the risk for shaking. Instead, he can just teleport and avoid the risk of not guessing right which skull it was.

Theme

Noob
I find it very difficult to come at smoke because he has good footsies and movement and can punish whiff with his fast smoke bomb into full combo. i usually try to sit at jump distance and hope i can jump a random smoke bomb for a combo, or build some meter with SS until I can use Ex SS when he throws out a smoke bomb. It would seem like a losing battle to do this but I have found better luck doing this than trying to dash block in and footsy my way in.

Obviously you have to make good reads because SS I believe is slower than smoke bomb, and I believe even if you land the first hit of SS, if he got his smoke bomb off it will hit you and he can still get a combo. and jump kick seems to usually lose out to his anti air 2. if you can get the lifelead though with a Ex SS and some SS chip it becomes advantage shang if he has to come to you.
Bait it. Walk up to him and block, if hes a scrub, he will teleport wakeup. Punish accordingly.

mekane

Noob
You got it wrong. I wasn't saying that he CANT parry. He can parry all of Shangs fireskulls. What I was saying is that Smoke does not NEED to parry/shake any skull in this matchup, since his teleport works better and is less risky.

First, Smoke makes Shang scream "IM YOUR BITCH".

Makes sense, btw what is your strategy in this matchup, do you try to play the range game from jump distance with SS and ex SS like I suggested or do you just try to dash block in to footsies range ??

Getting hit out of Ex SS on the 2nd hit into a full smoke bomb might be the worst feeling i've had in this dang game.

for the smoke matchup i twiddle my thumbs and wait to die

no seriously, i whore SS, just like every other MU i can't find a reliable strategy for. learn to love f4GS, you can bait smoke away and smoke toward (teles too possibly) with db2 or df2. you have to do a lot of reading in this matchup because honestly there's nothing else you can do, smokes controls this MU. so yeah, SS is your best friend in this MU

also @OP foxy pretty much said it all.. lol

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Makes sense, btw what is your strategy in this matchup, do you try to play the range game from jump distance with SS and ex SS like I suggested or do you just try to dash block in to footsies range ??

Getting hit out of Ex SS on the 2nd hit into a full smoke bomb might be the worst feeling i've had in this dang game.
I never had a good strategy against a good Smoke. Most I could do was try to play it safe with Soul steal and try to approach to him with d3, 1,2 (iunno why it worked so much :p )and crossup jks into throw.

Maybe WoundCowboy or DB have better MU exp. on this matter. I didn't have that luck.

But if you want a tip, pick Kabal :D

mekane

Noob
I never had a good strategy against a good Smoke. Most I could do was try to play it safe with Soul steal and try to approach to him with d3, 1,2 (iunno why it worked so much :p )and crossup jks into throw.

Maybe WoundCowboy or DB have better MU exp. on this matter. I didn't have that luck.

But if you want a tip, pick Kabal :D
thanks, my footsies probably just aren't up to par, i have trouble block dashing in with d3 attempts, his smoke away, advancing strings and smoke bombs seem to be beating this tactic.

Yes, actually my other characters right now are Kabal, Jax, and Cage, all of which I feel have advantage against Smoke. Especially Jax, though, that match up is pretty easy. I don't think Smoke is Shang's worst matchup, just not a favorable one. I actually have a lot tougher time against his 1 week Noob when I am Shang.