What's new

Tech - Lackey B3, 2+4 as an ender

Parnak

Fight me as you will yet you can never hope to win
So, I have found Council Lord's thread about the various Roll attributes to be really interesting apart from informative. However, when all's said and done, Roll ironically does not prohibit the opponent from Tech-Rolling :(
This means among other things, that even with rolltex a fellow Lackey has to be ready to shift his pressure approach (e.g. using Run or going for starters immediately) accordingly to whether they tech rolled or not.
Other combos ending with command throw leave you at too much distance to maintain pressure.
This could lead to the question; Is there an ender that prevents them from tech rolling while keeping you up close to them at the same time?
Well, hopefully I have some good news on the horizon about this issue. I believe to have found another candidate to end combos with; The Lackey exclusive string B3, 2+4 Step aside now other enders! Here comes... Step Aside. Seriously, that is its name.

First, let's take a look at the frame data. The string's first hit is a low with a 20 frame start-up and a huge cancel adv. of 30. There is no reason to use it on its own. The second hit is a totally safe overhead (-5) that offers a +11 on hit. The frame advantage takes effect after the hit inflicts a hard knockdown (opponent cannot roll) and a lie down stagger state, during which Torr roars menacingly above opponents head.!

Now, the time has come to explain some things I've found about this move. Even though the string leaves you really close to the opponent, if you jump forward immediately, there is a bug that prevents you from landing a crossover back punch while they get up. The bug has Torr not correcting his aim by turning towards the opponent and thus the Jip2 whiffs. If you instead input Jip1 really late, it will correct and hit, but that ain't good enough because Jip1's frame adv. ain't enough for B2 overhead to combo.. On Goro, I have found a small window late into the jump arc where crossover Jip2 will overcome the bug and hit, probably because he's tall too. It looks kind of weird when it happens. Whatever the case, that bug is a real shame, since crossing over a knockdowned opponent is a great way to mess with their wake-up inputs and go for a tough crossover mix-up at the same time. If you walk forward a bit and then do the jump, Jip2 will connect normally but the delay will give opponent ample time to react. However, as far as reacting goes, Step Aside is one of these moves that makes it hard for both players to realize when the inputs will start to register again. Thankfully, recovery time from Step Aside is tougher for the opponent to measure. This makes jumping even more useful here, because the jump input can be kept pressed and so it is guaranteed to take effect asap, making the best out of your reaction time!

But how can you fully incorporate crossover and all its benefits for Step Aside with this damn bug:mad: ??
Well, as you might have guessed there is a way, otherwise I wouldn't have described the pros of instant crossover for this string.. Simply, you use it as a combo ender. If done right, Torr will stand even closer to his victim -almost onto them!-, allowing the crossover Jip2 to play out naturally, bringing B2 overhead into the tech. It's a bit tricky though.. I have some basic examples off of major starters such as F2 B2 NJP & EX Torryuken. Keep in mind that if you input the string too early, you will end up in the same distance as when you input Step Aside solo, thus the bug will take effect. Input it too late and the string's second hit will whiff. Basically, the thing is that the string can connect only directly after the F2 starter, and since it is used as a combo ender, it ends F2 combos quickly, making them wielding the lowest damage. Other starters can be prolonged to wield more damage by tying them together and putting F2 last for Step Aside to connect. For the B2, 3, 2+4 overhead starter, in order to get the right close distance off of Step Aside, F2 needs to connect from some reach. In order to achieve that reach I incorporate a D3 before the F2. It also gives +1 more damage.

Here, I'd like to say that Torr has amazing punish potential if metered. His 2 is 8 frames fast and thus gives him a super fast 8 frame punish; 2xxEX Torryuken that can too end with B3, 2+4. Funny how 2 is called Fierce Hook by the game, a fitting name indeed.! That hook punch becomes the fierce hook that hooks opponents into punish setups! This could be applied in many situations, for instance, if you are low on health and need a comeback but one full combo won't kill your opponent, you have nothing to lose. Use Step Aside as an ender to get a chance for a crossover reset, then proceed with your most damaging BnB to finish 'em off!

Of course, the Jip attempt is escapable, but you can mix it up with D3. Step Aside leaves you at the perfect range for a D3, which gives a +14 on hit for you to try some F2/B2 starters. They are at a minor disadvantage after Step Aside, so they cannot evade your super fast D3 by jumping. Their best bet is to block it, but if you go for Jip instead, you will crossover them. If they try to backdash (backdash evades D3) but you commit to the jump, you will jump in punish their backdash. And if they go for a wake-up attack, Jip from that close also has the chance to reverse their inputs and have them fail the wake-up attack! Guys, I hope this tech will find some use!

Last edited:

Forr

Variationless Ferra Torr
Sooooo Rollex vs. Forrtex/Torrvex

Nah, but good find though man. A few things to note.

1. Seems that the more gravity you put on a combo the less advantage you'll have.
2. The earlier you land B32+4 after the F2, the more advantage you'll have.
3. Some meterless wakeups with good vertical hitboxes will stop the crossover. i.e. Kung Lao spin

Just a few early observations.

Edit: I've been messing with it some and I have to say ,because you have to delay the jump attack for so long in order for it to hit, it's not consistent enough. They have enough time to jump, backdash, armor, and maybe even AA d1.

Maybe it's just my timing but the cross over jump has to go. Which leaves you with a good HKD ender that keeps them in range of F2/B2.

Last edited:

Shade667

#StrongisthenewCute
I like it...
In theory anyway. I have yet to test its practical applications. I know when people cross me up my wakeup always gets stuffed.

Parnak

1. Seems that the more gravity you put on a combo the less advantage you'll have.
3. Some meterless wakeups with good vertical hitboxes will stop the crossover. i.e. Kung Lao spin

Edit: I've been messing with it some and I have to say ,because you have to delay the jump attack for so long in order for it to hit, it's not consistent enough. They have enough time to jump, backdash, armor, and maybe even AA d1.

Maybe it's just my timing but the cross over jump has to go. Which leaves you with a good HKD ender that keeps them in range of F2/B2.
I see.. If only the frame advantage was a bit more. So it seems that you should first condition them to block respecting an immediate F2/B2 or some other move and then go for the crossover Jip..

Parnak

nice one dude! I almost do the same thing but I end with 2, F4 (cant be tech rolled). Run and jump over to follow up after, it baits armored wakeups a lot.
Right, string 2, B4 leaves them close enough but it's -1 on hit, they can react right away. 2, F4 does offer some decent advantage (+13 I think) but sends them further and you have to close distance to keep the pressure, they can react due to that. At the corner 2, F4 really shines, that's why I included it as an ender in some Vicious corner combos I've posted. Both strings that come off 2 cause untechable knockdown, but imo Step Aside is the best because it combines them somehow; Maintaining the close distance (like 2, B4) and offering some advantage (like 2, F4) Of course, the 2 series is available to all variations and has excellent start-up speed (8 fr.), albeit the first hit (the mighty Fierce Hook !!) is a duckable high

Last edited:

Parnak

Forr man, everything you said was valid and on point. Gravity's a bitch and takes it's toll on the frame advantage of normals. For specials, this doesn't seem to be the case, meaning that Roll doesn't loose its adv. as a combo ender, unlike B3, 2+4 :( Looks like 7 fr. D3 is the standard way to go after a prolonged Torrvex combo. After Step Aside you are in perfect range for D3. The +14 adv. it provides on hit will give some good chances for a F2 or even B2 to catch 'em. The only thing that escapes D3 in this case (apart from armor, but not all armor) is wake up backdash, which thankfully can in turn be blown up if you Jip after Step Aside ender. And as for armor-happy wakers, there is a way if you see it coming; D3xxEX Torryuken to combo punish if you got the meter & D3xxTorr Charge if you want a meterless response to blow up their wake up armor. As we know (and I've tested this) Torr Charge B,F3 has native free armor at start-up which turns into invincibility against projectiles. Please let me know if you have any thoughts on this:cool:

Last edited:

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Interesting, although tech rolling doesn't really break the council lord's vortex, in fact it specifically is made to counteract tech rolling.
Question. What happens if the opponent does delayed wake-up?

Parnak

Interesting, although tech rolling doesn't really break the council lord's vortex, in fact it specifically is made to counteract tech rolling.
Question. What happens if the opponent does delayed wake-up?
On delayed wake-ups, if you go for the Jip, you 'll land behind them and can try a starter from there. If you go for D3 after long combos where gravity minimizes the frame advantage, (thus denying the Jip viability) a delayed wake-up will have D3 whiff, but it recovers fast enough for you to try again (D3/D1) Actually, the fact that you have less than +11 adv. -due to the gravity shortening a normal's frame adv.- that really harms Torrvex. At least, Jip blows up a backdash wake up. But specials don't seem to have this problem and that is a great thing for Rollvex! But I would expect that certain unarmored wake-up attacks, also including backdash, if added to a roll tech, they could pose problems for Rollvex too, isn't that right?

Last edited:

Parnak

can they not backdash on wakeup?
For long combos (longer than F2~B3, 2+4) gravity diminishes the frame advantage of Step Aside so much, that (unless you expect them to defend by simply blocking) you 'd better proceed with pokes.. If however in this case you go for Jip (expecting them to defend by blocking) and they happen to use backdash wake-up (which would evade them pokes) they will get blown up.. (because your crossover will become jump in) Confusing, is it not ? Too bad I figured out the gravity effect after the post, Torrvex still has its uses though

Wetdoba

All too easy...
For long combos (longer than F2~B3, 2+4) gravity diminishes the frame advantage of Step Aside so much, that (unless you expect them to defend by simply blocking) you 'd better proceed with pokes.. If however in this case you go for Jip (expecting them to defend by blocking) and they happen to use backdash wake-up (which would evade them pokes) they will get blown up.. (because your crossover will become jump in) Confusing, is it not ? Too bad I figured out the gravity effect after the post, Torrvex still has its uses though
Cant he just do a reverse input backdash though? As in wait for you to cross over then back dash out and away?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
On delayed wake-ups, if you go for the Jip, you 'll land behind them and can try a starter from there. If you go for D3 after long combos where gravity minimizes the frame advantage, (thus denying the Jip viability) a delayed wake-up will have D3 will whiff, but it recovers fast enough for you to try again (D3/D1) Actually, the fact that you have less than +11 adv. -due to the gravity shortening a normal's frame adv.- that really harms Torrvex. At least, Jip blows up a backdash wake up. But specials don't seem to have this problem and that is a great thing for Rollvex! But I would expect that certain unarmored wake-up attacks, also including backdash, if added to a roll tech, they could pose problems for Rollvex too, isn't that right?
Not really. The rolltex uses the late ending off of the animation to give it the advantage, and run cancel f.2 will stop quite a few characters backdash attempts off of reach alone since backdash isn't fully invincible and some characters (like Torr) don't have very good ones. Even if they did backdash, you won't be left as negative as if you did landing frames directly in front of them.

To the second point, I've also been able to blow up non-metered wake-ups using the rolltex pretty consistently. You can f.2 someone out of things like slide and get-away flip.

Last edited:

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
You can delay your wakeup and wakeup armour, it's not a vortex unfortunately.

It's cool though, nice to see people having a go with other variations, but it's pretty easy to get out of.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Cant he just do a reverse input backdash though? As in wait for you to cross over then back dash out and away?
Easier said than done.

Remember in the council how I was talking about the 11 whiff into n.j. set-up and depending on the timing of the hit you'd end up in front or behind? Same idea applies, if the opponent does it too soon then they'll end up forward dashing directly into your punch. If they wait too late the punch will already be active and the hit will connect.

You can delay your wakeup and wakeup armour, it's not a vortex unfortunately.

It's cool though, nice to see people having a go with other variations, but it's pretty easy to get out of.
Barring stuff like jump stomp or Quan's sky drop (i.e. things with a completely vertical hitbox) a lot of armored WUs will outright miss.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Easier said than done.

Remember in the council how I was talking about the 11 whiff into n.j. set-up and depending on the timing of the hit you'd end up in front or behind? Same idea applies, if the opponent does it too soon then they'll end up forward dashing directly into your punch. If they wait too late the punch will already be active and the hit will connect.

Barring stuff like jump stomp or Quan's sky drop (i.e. things with a completely vertical hitbox) a lot of armored WUs will outright miss.
Ahh interesting. I haven't used this string in Lackey yet on account of how useless it is in Vicious and Ruthless but I will definitely play around with it now and try some of this stuff out

PND_Ketchup

Easier said than done.

That's the point, you're no longer in it. Most of the wakeups will just move you out of harms way. It wouldn't really be for punishing FT, it'd be re positioning yourself. It isn't a bad setup at all, just not a vortex.

I dunno what Quans are still doing wakeup sky drop, lol.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
That's the point, you're no longer in it. Most of the wakeups will just move you out of harms way. It wouldn't really be for punishing FT, it'd be re positioning yourself. It isn't a bad setup at all, just not a vortex.

I dunno what Quans are still doing wakeup sky drop, lol.
Well thats the thing. Most of them miss, and by the same merit, most of them will leave you in recovery frames and at the mercy of Torr's absurdly long reaching arms. To the point where even sub zero, one of the better backdashes, still gets clipped by f.2's phantom hitbox. Thats almost an entire character length and then some away. Very few wake-ups give you that kind of distance or safety when missing, let alone both. I think maybe the slides, and maybe the rolls like Mileena or Torr, but outside of that not many do the job.

You'd be surprised. If you can't shut down Torr's ability to jump over your body, then you really might as well just block or hold down on wake-up and try to guess right.

PND_Ketchup

Well thats the thing. Most of them miss, and by the same merit, most of them will leave you in recovery frames and at the mercy of Torr's absurdly long reaching arms. To the point where even sub zero, one of the better backdashes, still gets clipped by f.2's phantom hitbox. Thats almost an entire character length and then some away. Very few wake-ups give you that kind of distance or safety when missing, let alone both. I think maybe the slides, and maybe the rolls like Mileena or Torr, but outside of that not many do the job.

You'd be surprised. If you can't shut down Torr's ability to jump over your body, then you really might as well just block or hold down on wake-up and try to guess right.
I just dont see myself holding block for that long when there's other things I could do to get out of that setup.

Until I see myself getting wrecked by Ferra/Torr with this kind of stuff, I'll pretty much always stick to my guns here. Without sounding lick I'm dismissing anything of course.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I just dont see myself holding block for that long when there's other things I could do to get out of that setup.

Until I see myself getting wrecked by Ferra/Torr with this kind of stuff, I'll pretty much always stick to my guns here. Without sounding lick I'm dismissing anything of course.
Well I more or less just removed backdash for everyone not named Kano, so the only other thing is to try and delay WU I think.
Or have an incredibly vertical hitbox on your armored WU.