What's new

TOP TEN MK9 Mistakes

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I only agree with #1. It wasn't rushed, the game has a lot of very polished content. I don't understand what you mean by 'poor design choices' or 'horrible resource management'. And yeah it'd be nice to see it on Steam but LBSH, it isn't something the game really needs.
Having polished content doesn't mean it wasn't rushed. They obviously took their time on a lot of aspects and when it came down to training mode and online mode, they ran out of fucks to give.
Poor design choices are allover the board. It's the arguable points like the above mentions of certain characters being certain ways that obviously could have been better with more thought and less "Let's make a game with 30+ characters in it". Which all boils down to present day globally poor design choices which all aim for fast top sales and a short lifespan for the product. I just disagree with that marketing design on the grand scale as I am all for perspective and depth when it comes to content: or in short, I like to play my games for ten years on.
Horrible resource management is the above where I said they ran out of fucks to give by the time they got to crucial points in development. If you are going to make a game with online play, you better make that online bitching good or it will be a massive disappointment. I care less for a linear storymode where you get to fight with a good portion of the team against staged fights - momentarily entertaining but it's a fighting game, for fucks sakes. You can tell a story in cutscenes drawn in presentable quality and hire a professional writer, and get that content over with to focus on the fighting game's more important aspect:
The Fighting Game. Which entails training, which entails people being able to match up and equal opportunity and all about beating each other senseless over the internet or sitting next to one another.

EDIT: Oh, and about putting it online and PC such as Steam... it's not that the game NEEDS it. It's the #1 point that was the alternative. That the game can only be patched a set amount of times before it costs more than it brings etc. The above horribly prehistoric shit tbh.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Having polished content doesn't mean it wasn't rushed. They obviously took their time on a lot of aspects and when it came down to training mode and online mode, they ran out of fucks to give.
Poor design choices are allover the board. It's the arguable points like the above mentions of certain characters being certain ways that obviously could have been better with more thought and less "Let's make a game with 30+ characters in it". Which all boils down to present day globally poor design choices which all aim for fast top sales and a short lifespan for the product. I just disagree with that marketing design on the grand scale as I am all for perspective and depth when it comes to content: or in short, I like to play my games for ten years on.
Horrible resource management is the above where I said they ran out of fucks to give by the time they got to crucial points in development. If you are going to make a game with online play, you better make that online bitching good or it will be a massive disappointment. I care less for a linear storymode where you get to fight with a good portion of the team against staged fights - momentarily entertaining but it's a fighting game, for fucks sakes. You can tell a story in cutscenes drawn in presentable quality and hire a professional writer, and get that content over with to focus on the fighting game's more important aspect:
The Fighting Game. Which entails training, which entails people being able to match up and equal opportunity and all about beating each other senseless over the internet or sitting next to one another.

EDIT: Oh, and about putting it online and PC such as Steam... it's not that the game NEEDS it. It's the #1 point that was the alternative. That the game can only be patched a set amount of times before it costs more than it brings etc. The above horribly prehistoric shit tbh.
You do know this community is .002% of the people who bought the game right? The rest bought the game to play the story mode. Don't confuse talent and technical limitations with "resource management", I don't think you actually know how the development went down, so you can't really judge or be that harsh. The fact that you said "you can tell a story with drawn cutscenes" tells me a lot about your lack of perspective in the grand scheme of things. We all love to complain about online, but it's still better than 90% of the games out there, and this game is actually more balanced than previous iterations of MK. Also something tells me you never played armageddon, which had 62 fighters. Now that's a poor design choice lol.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
You do know this community is .002% of the people who bought the game right? The rest bought the game to play the story mode. Don't confuse talent and technical limitations with "resource management", I don't think you actually know how the development went down, so you can't really judge or be that harsh. The fact that you said "you can tell a story with drawn cutscenes" tells me a lot about your lack of perspective in the grand scheme of things. We all love to complain about online, but it's still better than 90% of the games out there, and this game is actually more balanced than previous iterations of MK. Also something tells me you never played armageddon, which had 62 fighters. Now that's a poor design choice lol.
I'm sorry but I can't see the merit in your arguments there. I don't have to be part of a development team to critique the development with just a standard level of perspective. Having my priorities elsewhere than you or another person is why I said those things are arguable at best. And I didn't play it, no, but I know about it and tell you what - I'd prefer every character to have an infinite or none, rather than ... this.
But this is really a moot point here because they are not going to read this and suddenly change their ways: Their products bring profit and that is all they should care about.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
I'm sorry but I can't see the merit in your arguments there. I don't have to be part of a development team to critique the development with just a standard level of perspective.
At the level you're criticising, yes, you had to be part of the development team. "Rushed development and horrible resource management", you don't know that, and from a 'standard level of perspective', it doesn't look rushed at all. Just because 6 months later someone discovered a hole in the gameplay, and a year and a half later an invincibility glitch doesn't mean it was rushed. Have you even been playing games for the last 30 years?
Having my priorities elsewhere than you or another person is why I said those things are arguable at best.
So I'm not your priority? :'(
And I didn't play it, no, but I know about it and tell you what - I'd prefer every character to have an infinite or none, rather than ... this.
This made absolutely no sense at all. You'd rather have an unplayable broken game, only useful for shits and giggles, than an actual competitive, well-balanced, tournament-worthy game? And you're the mod of a competitive gaming forum?
But this is really a moot point here because they are not going to read this and suddenly change their ways: Their products bring profit and that is all they should care about.
Thankfully, they made this game a well-rounded product, that's featured in major international competitions and that's also successful in the mainstream. So there's that.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
NPO:
-Imbalanced/questionable patching
-Un-optimal netcode
-Glitches (various)
-Damage resets
-Spammable frame-traps
-Movelists dominating others and making theirs useless (EX: Freddy > Noob Saibot)

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I don't consider bugs and glitchs to be mistakes as they were obviously not intended so I'll ignore those.

Nerfing dashes
Giving everyone armor
Not having an endless battle type mode for online
Not putting enough resources into the training mode
Making Kabal...Kabal. I know they probably wanted to make him super top tier as he kinda has a reputation to maintain, but a little overboard
No way to turn off blood and battle damage forever
Everything about Tag mode
Having to unlock characters
They way they handled button config
Not doing anymore hotfixes. Well patches are obviously out of the question at this point, a hotfix could still be possible, it doesn't cost any money, and well they couldn't fix any glitchs or remove armor, they could do a small amount of balance changes like changing the properties of some moves, buffing the low tier a bit by making there shit less unsafe.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
At the level you're criticising, yes, you had to be part of the development team. "Rushed development and horrible resource management", you don't know that, and from a 'standard level of perspective', it doesn't look rushed at all. Just because 6 months later someone discovered a hole in the gameplay, and a year and a half later an invincibility glitch doesn't mean it was rushed. Have you even been playing games for the last 30 years?

So I'm not your priority? :'(

This made absolutely no sense at all. You'd rather have an unplayable broken game, only useful for shits and giggles, than an actual competitive, well-balanced, tournament-worthy game? And you're the mod of a competitive gaming forum?

Thankfully, they made this game a well-rounded product, that's featured in major international competitions and that's also successful in the mainstream. So there's that.
You are spinning my arguments so out of proportion here that I feel like I'm talking to my ex again. Sorry honey, I have a headache. I understand that it's easier to play ostrich with your head in the sand and be opportunistic but this thread is about critiqueing the game so I did, like everybody else did. I'm sorry that you don't understand my point of view but it's okay. It doesn't actually matter.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
1.Not having defensive training mode
2. Not having the pit 3
3. Dash Nerf
4. Jade Nerf
5. Too manny patches in short period of time, now we possibly only need one more and we don't have it
6. Kratos
7.MK9 music doesn't match with the game and the hype we used to get from previous games trough the music is missing
8. Not having Brutalities as finishers

that are my only complains, though i still love MK despites de bugs and errors this is still the best mk to date

Not having a commentator that says Superb or Excellent when you do a combo. And putting Ermac in the game instead of Chameleon.

josh99

Noob
1. Rushed developement
2. chip damage on normals, (doesn't fit the game mecahnics)
3. Absurd recovery on whiffed normals.
4.unbalanced
5.3d playing field in a "2d" game
6. NRS taking problems out of the game and putting more into the game.
7. online
8. Jumping being so important in this game.
9. Projectile game is wierd.
10.Blockstun.
11. Dash nerf

MK9 feels like a puzzle with mismatched pieces. They just need to fix a solid 7 things and the game will be amazing.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
1.Not having defensive training mode
2. Not having the pit 3
3. Dash Nerf
4. Jade Nerf
5. Too manny patches in short period of time, now we possibly only need one more and we don't have it
6. Kratos
7.MK9 music doesn't match with the game and the hype we used to get from previous games trough the music is missing
8. Not having Brutalities as finishers

that are my only complains, though i still love MK despites de bugs and errors this is still the best mk to date
Brutalities were in the game but where cut because of time, along with a endurance mode.
If they do a UMK9, I hope they put them in.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
You are spinning my arguments so out of proportion here that I feel like I'm talking to my ex again. Sorry honey, I have a headache. I understand that it's easier to play ostrich with your head in the sand and be opportunistic but this thread is about critiqueing the game so I did, like everybody else did. I'm sorry that you don't understand my point of view but it's okay. It doesn't actually matter.
Spinning how? Just because I think your arguments have no solid ground I'm an ostrich with my head in the sand? Sure there are things to criticise, but you also have to be fair.
The unreal engine should NEVER be in a fighting game. It's specifically for FPS's.
I wonder how you guys think engines work. And this is from a dude that has worked in a couple of games, using Unreal and Unity. (Pro-tip: there are over a 100 games made with UDK that aren't FPSs)

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Sure there are things to criticise, but you also have to be fair.
I don't. That's what critique in media does. Chews shit out. I was even presenting proper arguments as opposed to what a lot of articles nowadays do. And again, it's not like my banter here will change anything.
The game, itself, is obviously successful and professional. But I disagree with a lot of the design choices and so on and so forth. Yadda. Said it all :D

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Pro tip Its simply not for 2d fighting games.
Why not? Have you ever developed in Unreal Engine? It's not like it has templates, you build the game from the ground up you know.
I don't. That's what critique in media does. Chews shit out. I was even presenting proper arguments as opposed to what a lot of articles nowadays do. And again, it's not like my banter here will change anything.
The game, itself, is obviously successful and professional. But I disagree with a lot of the design choices and so on and so forth. Yadda. Said it all :D
English isn't my first language either, but come on...

I understand what you think you're doing. The thing is your arguments had absolutely nothing to do with the game's current issues.

Post what you feel are the top ten mistakes Netherrealm has made involving MK9. Hopefully this will serve as a guide to Netherrealm as what NOT to do in the upcoming games.

1. Nerfing Subzero in one of the latest patches
Agreed,that was really unnecessary.
2. Giving Kenshi armor on everything :mad:
He needs some, but not as much as they gave him.
3. Giving PS3 Kratos and not giving Xbox 360 Masterchief
I don't think anyone really cares about console exclusive characters due to them being banned in tournaments anyway.
4. Player 1 advantage
I don't even have words for that amount of stupidity on Boon's eyebrows part.
5. Allowing a tournament to happen with Kabal having an infinite.
I'm pretty sure they banned it in tournaments but no one but REO and Doctrine Dark can do it really.
6. Not being able to have someone from online on your team in a tag match
Tag is ass,stop playing it.
7. The music in MK9 sucks
I for one love the music.
8. Not making more DLCs
That would have been nice actually.
9. No Hara-Kiris :(
No one cares about Fatalities.
10. Giving us Scarlett as a DLC instead of Ashrah!
Frost>Ashrah

Flagg

Noob
1. Everyone should have got 1 armour move only. Or have a mode where you can choose what one special you want with armour properties at the start of a round, (similar to selecting something like a super art). This would make certain match ups more interesting and give more of a chance in unfair match ups between various characters .
2. An inferior training mode.
3. No special move should be safe up close on block.
4. Glitches and bugs, but those are unintentional and something all games suffer from
5. Having unsafe-useless specials. CSZ teleport, Kano charge ball, ice puddle, so on
6. Mid/overhead attacks. Some attacks that look like they should be mid arent, and some that dont look like overheads, are. Just seemed like laziness or "oh, we better give that character a mid...okay, just put that property on that attack"
7. Shit, shit, shit online
8. This 6-7 frame nonsense on certain specials/standing normals
9. Cyraxes nets + bombs. Is it really that hard to turn off his specials for the duration of a combo started from a net capture or bomb launcher?
10. Patching too early, not letting the game mature and thus not having the means, desire or funds to badly patch this current enjoyable, but horrendously broken game.