What's new

Guide MK9 Top 10 of all time

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
This is a one of my favorite topics to discuss at dinner and in hotel rooms at tournaments. It's always interesting to hear the arguments for and against players. With EVO over it's the end of an era. I don't think the game will ever truly die but we'll never be on that big a stage again. So since Friday I've been thinking about my finalized list. This list is for the entire life of the game. From April of 2011 to July of 2013. I am basing it on tournament results. I am talking about those who delivered when it mattered most. Not who was awesome online or who had a good run for a couple tournaments. Everyone on this list has multiple MLG/EVO top 8 placings, most have won majors. Most have been at the very top for over 2 years. This list is not meant to be in order set it stone, although I think it's fairly accurate in that regard. The top two are probably the most disputable. The list of accomplishments is only a sample of the most impressive placings.

1. Perfect Legend
EVO 2011 winner
MLG Anaheim top 8
EVO 2012 winner
MLG Raleigh top 8
EVO 2013 top 8

2. REO
EVO 2011 top 8
MLG Columbus top 8
MLG Raleigh winner
MLG Dallas winner
EVO 2013 top 8

3. DJT
EVO 2011 top 8
MLG Anaheim top 8
MLG Dallas top 8
EVO 2013 winner

4. CD Jr
MLG Columbus winner
MLG Anaheim top 8
MLG Spring Arena winner
EVO 2012 top 8
MLG Raleigh top 8

5. Detroit Ballin
NEC 2011 winner
MLG Columbus top 8
MLG Anaheim winner
EVO 2013 top 8

6. Pig of the Hut
MLG Anaheim top 8
EVO 2012 top 8
MLG Summer Arena winner
MLG Raleigh top 8
MLG Dallas top 8

7. Maxter
MLG Columbus top 8
MLG Raleigh top 8
MLG Dallas top 8

8. 16 Bit
EVO 2011 top 8
SCR 2011 winner
MLG Anaheim top 8
MLG Raleigh top 8
MLG Dallas top 8
EVO 2013 top 8

9. Dizzy
MLG Anaheim top 8
Season's Beatings 2012 winner
MLG Dallas top 8
UFGT 2013 winner

10. Tyrant
MLG Anaheim top 8
EVO 2012 top 8
SCR 2013 winner

How right or wrong am I? Who did I leave off. Make your case.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I like it and wouldn't change a thing although Wound Cowboy has proven over the last 6 months plus that he is one of the best... is it too late for him on this list?

It is too late. I like Wound a lot and was so happy he placed top 8 at EVO this year. Sadly he became so good too late in the game's lifespan. If you look at the rest it's all guys who were on top for over a year with multiple MLG and EVO level placings. Top 10 now for sure though, if you were just ranking current skill.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I think this list is really accurate. I think you could argue Forever King though. He hasn't won a tournament but placed top 8 at back to back EVO's and 2nd at UFGT9.

I respect Forever King a lot. It was great that in summer of 2012 he finally got over his nerves and started doing well. Top 10 now for SURE. Arguably top 10 in this list. Two Evo medals is a big deal. For me the final 2 spots were the hardest part. Tyrant, Dizzy and King were the 3. MIT is up there too. In the end I went with Dizzy and Tyrant. King has never won a major and has too many outside the top 8 finishes. He has no MLG placings.

REO

Undead
reo's tournament record for mk9 off da head

Power Up 2011 - 3rd
East Coast Throwdown 3 -3rd
Evolution 2011 - 2nd
MLG Raleigh 2011 - 1st
New Challengers X - 3rd
Devastation - 1st
Seasons Beatings: Velocity - 2nd
North Eastern Championship XII - 3rd
APEX 2012 - 3rd
Revolution X - 2nd
Winter Brawl 6 - 2nd
Final Round XV - 1st
MLG Columbus 2012 - 2nd
Flawless Victory - 2nd
Toryuken - 1st
On the Edge II - 1st
MLG Anaheim - 9th
CEO 2012 - 1st
EVO 2012 - 17th
MLG Raleigh 2012 - 1st
MLG Dallas 2012 - 1st
NEC 2012 - 1st
Civil War 2013 - 1st
Operation Wolf - 1st
ECT 2013 - 1st
Evolution 2013 - 2nd

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Though PL has won evo twice, he was inconsistent at other tournaments. I think REO is the best Mortal Kombat player all around and he consistently does well in tournaments. REO made a huge mistake in evo 12 by going Kung Lao/Kabal.

Since PL and REO failed to win EVO this year we will never truly know. The debate will rage on. As I said, I think the order of #1 and #2 is arguable. At the end of the day I put Carl at #1 because back to back EVO means so much. To me EVO and consistency over time carries a lot of weight. The fact that he became the best, went into hiberation, then returned and became the best again is extremely impressive.

would dizzy's list be the same, switching his own place with 16 bit?

To be fair reo has had a lot of major wins and you couldn't have left off his final round win, which was kind of a small taste of what mlg's level of competition was going to be.

My list would be exactly the same, I had my doubts about tyrant, but after thinking it through he definitely needs to be on that spot.

I think the discussion will be between PL and reo again. BTW reo and pl have both won a 2011 mlg, but I don't think anybody was really there.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
would dizzy's list be the same, switching his own place with 16 bit?

I don't know, maybe he will post his own. :cool:

Dizzy right now is better than me and with a few exceptions like EVO and Raleigh generally out places me, which he should. However I put myself over him in an all time list since he didn't reach this level until Summer of 2012.

The debate between REO and PL can never truly be determined. Over the last 2 years, Reo traveled considerably more than Pl, hence, allowing him to establish what appears to be a much more impressive résumé. Though, in the limited travels from PL, there's no denying that he made each tournament count.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
I'm fine with that list. PL did win back to back evo that no other mk player ever did.

I also agree that pl and reo on being number 1 is debate able. It can go either way on how someone looks at it.

CrazyBread

Princess Diana
I completely agree with this list. Now can we have one of the runners up? I'd like to see who came close in your opinion.

Nephrite

#Fujin4MK12BaseRoster
I would also put PL as #1. Evo is bigger than anything else, players tremble and choke at Evo like no where else and this guy won it twice in a row.

I agree with the entire Top10 to be honest, although I had Pig in my Top5 in this thread (posts #31 on page 2 and post #64 on page 3) instead of Detroit cause of his "bronze medal" at Evo . Now that I see that Pig hasn't won any majors maybe I should have put Detroit in there.

Satan1

Ice Pirate
Reo was/is the best MK player, period (MK9, UMK3,...).
Name 1 player who had more top 3 placements in MK's lifespan, he even won 3 MLG events. PL could travel & win more, but he didn't, so please stop dickriding him...

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Reo was/is the best MK player, period (MK9, UMK3,...).
Name 1 player who had more top 3 placements in MK's lifespan, he even won 3 MLG events. PL could travel & win more, but he didn't, so please stop dickriding him...
You can make your argument without being aggressive. This is a nice, respectful thread and it's going to stay that way. Please consider that next time you post.