What's new

General/Other - Sub-Zero Tom Brady talks MKX and Sub-Zero w/ Jemmillion, "I don’t play Sub-Zero…I AM Sub-Zero."

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Jemmillion.com recently put up an interview with a top player that not many not know about and that is Tom Brady. Tom has been an crucial member of the Mortal Kombat community for years and recently gave some words in regards to his thoughts on Mortal Kombat X. Regarding Tom's past character in which he was most well-known for, Sub-Zero in Mortal Kombat 9, he doesn't hesitate to state that he'll be playing Lin Kuei warrior.

tombrady.jpg

Jemmillion: The first tournament I ever attended was Summer Jam 7 in 2013. I had the great opportunity of getting to speak with you. At the time, I had known you as the guy who played Aquaman in Injustice: Gods Among Us. After the tournament was over, I learned that you have been active in the Mortal Kombat scene for a long time. How long have you been playing fighting games?

Tom Brady: I have been playing fighting games since the very beginning, and started with Street Fighter 2 in the early 1990’s. I have been competing for over 20 years.

Jemmillion: Who and/or what inspired you to become a part of the Fighting Game Community?

Tom Brady: When I first started, there was no “Fighting Game Community.” That era didn’t begin until there were forums where other players could all be in contact with one another. It was that concept that really allowed fighters to become big tournament games in today’s scene. I got into it because I could now discuss certain tactics, combos, match ups, etc., with other top players without having to get into my car and drive to the arcade. It also allowed me to discuss these things with players around the world rather than just in my local area.

Jemmillion: You’re main in Mortal Kombat is Sub-Zero. Can you tell us a little bit about why you choose him and what makes him top tier compared to the other characters?

Tom Brady: Sub-Zero was the first MK character I ever chose. I only have two favorite MK characters (Bo Rai’ Cho being the second), so I always choose one of those. I didn’t actually play him as a main in all MK games however. I only used him as a tournament main in MK3 and MK9. By design, Sub-Zero is top tier. It takes several changes to the overall fighting game engine to make him low tier like he eventually became in MK9. Despite not being a top character in MK9, I was still able to get results with him, because he still breaks the traditional fighting game laws of footsies as well as a few other aspects of fighters.

There is just something about Sub-Zero and the Ice Clone that clicks with me. He is literally the perfect fighting game character for me. I am looking forward to using him as my main or one of my mains in MKX. The character is a perfect fit for me. I don’t play Sub-Zero…I AM Sub-Zero. It’s an honor for many of the MK Community to consider me the face of one of the most iconic fighting game characters of all time.

Jemmillion: Earlier this year, NetherRealm studios announced Mortal Kombat X. After watching a lot of the MKX trailers and character reveal videos that have been released, it seems like the new game is a mix between Mortal Kombat 9 and Injustice: Gods Among Us. How do you think the style change and addition of interactables will affect the game?

Tom Brady: I don’t believe MKX will play anything like MK9 or Injustice, I believe it will be its own game. I think the interactables will have a much different effect on the game than we saw in Injustice because there are more creative ways to use them besides just throwing them at the opponent. It has been said that there are even ways to... "continue reading!"

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
If sub wasn't nerfed, where tom would be with him at MK9, not only tom, but Sub-Zero players too.

I really hope this time around no one gets nerfed for no apparent reason, or don't get buffed for no apparent reason, and vice-versa.

I want to enjoy the game where everyone is viable, even if not by the character potential, but at least viable if you have solid fundamentals with him/her/it.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
Glad he's coming back in full force for MK X. I wasn't really looking forward to sitting on the Lin Kuei Grandmaster throne, anyway..... :cool:

Matthew Phelps

GOTS HeavyHandz
I have always been a low tier guy myself. Using baraka on mk vs dc got me started on that. I used baraka and shang on mk9 and lobo on inj. Really hoping they bring back baraka in mkx with serious improvements. Remember Barak when mk9 first came out???? HORRIBLE! The enhanced blade dash didn't even go full screen. Let alone double dashing after the back 1+3.. Really hoping he returns with bloody vengeance!!

SkaGoogle

Tailgates & Tan-lines !
tom is awesome. look forward to him and pl dominating mkx and taking all of our money. And I still stand by my statement that pl will when evo in mkx.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
You are the man, Tom Brady!! Can't wait to watch you kick some ass in MKX.

Without a doubt you were one of my favorites to watch back in the MK9 days, along with Madzin and GGA Han

Flagg

Noob
Brady making the come back against KING (SZ vs KL) was epic.

I can't remember the tournie, I think it was one that Chris G gave up in the final of. There is no archived footage but it was just awesome to watch.

Riyo

Noob
During the Summer, all that ice melts and turns into Aquaman. But when winter approaches, the lakes freeze u and the terror known as Sub-Zero emerges.

New Jersey got some crazy weather.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Brady making the come back against KING (SZ vs KL) was epic.

I can't remember the tournie, I think it was one that Chris G gave up in the final of. There is no archived footage but it was just awesome to watch.
PowerUP

iKizzle won that tourney.

Chris G was having huge stick issues during the entire thing.

It was Tom's best tournament by far. Beating Kings KL and Jax. He was on super point and just happened to run into Bit and his Kitana.

Flagg

Noob
PowerUP

iKizzle won that tourney.

Chris G was having huge stick issues during the entire thing.

It was Tom's best tournament by far. Beating Kings KL and Jax. He was on super point and just happened to run into Bit and his Kitana.
Yep thats the one. I remembered it was a prominent Sektor player in the GF, I just couldn't remember his name. I remember King was doing that "brutality teleport" combo that KL can do over and over during the Finish Him phase. Brady came back from like his last round to eliminate King.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I give guys like MK Tom Brady more props than other players who rely on top tiers to win or go far in tourneys, as someone who enjoys competing with mids and lows, I can relate to him using Sub-Zero all the time. I enjoy using mids and lows myself. There's something special about being able to compete or win when the odds are stacked against you taking on better characters.

Sub does looks better in MK X no doubt, I think even if he should get nerfed he'll still be better than he was in MK 9. I tried using him and I totally see what Sub players mean, compared to MK 3 Sub he's felt so limited.

Last edited: