What's new

Tom Brady MKX Speculation: How will it play?

Odoyle

Drops combos
I like that they took the walkspeed from MK9 but why they took the dash from IGAU? Hope they change it :(.
I'm pretty sure NRS didn't like how dash blocking looked visually. They even nerfed dashes at one point in MK9. You used to be able to cancel a dash with a dash.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
I'm pretty sure NRS didn't like how dash blocking looked visually. They even nerfed dashes at one point in MK9. You used to be able to cancel a dash with a dash.
But dashinf in IGAU don't let you cancel it with anything, and MK9 combos has dash cancelling at the core of it and I think that is one of the best features MK9 has. To me this is bad news, but maybe they tweak it sometime later. I hope they bring a demo or something like that to EVO so we can have more information about it.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
But dashinf in IGAU don't let you cancel it with anything, and MK9 combos has dash cancelling at the core of it and I think that is one of the best features MK9 has. To me this is bad news, but maybe they tweak it sometime later. I hope they bring a demo or something like that to EVO so we can have more information about it.
Kinda doubt it, I agree with Rip's theory that NRS just really does not like dash canceling from a visual perspective.
It seems like they want to make a more spectating friendly game, and dash blocking, and dash combos both looked mad awkward and clunky.(Even if they felt really nice and fluid to do)

Kinda doubt it, I agree with Rip's theory that NRS just really does not like dash canceling from a visual perspective.
It seems like they want to make a more spectating friendly game, and dash blocking, and dash combos both looked mad awkward and clunky.(Even if they felt really nice and fluid to do)
Isn't that your subjective opinion though. Canceling a dash into a string in a combo or outside of one looked fine to me, its a Fg not a fight simulator.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
im sure they be some tricky timing run Cancels in combo's to do

but as Block strings from what i got from 16bit (maybe reflecting wrong here) is that the you can instantly cancel the run into something, but as i said im not sure if i am remembering right

i know you could say it made it unique, but you dont see any other games using Dash canceling, plus the walk speed looks hella fast for pressure and you cant abuse your backdash in this.

as like you im only speculating
i guess time will tell hopefully sooner than we think

Tom better be going PS4 on this

I felt tom brady should of gone more in depth on the blocking in mk9. He didn't touch on the chip damage, and meter building that the attacker gets when the opponent is sitting there thinking he can block all day for free cause of no crossups.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I haven't watch the video's but i got this strange feeling that it will play like MKX.
That was a really good one Colt, hahaha.

I really don't mind the new movement mechanic, ppl are crying a river because there is no dash block.

Why would i dash block if i can directly run without dashing? Lol

As far as i can see, the risk reward is there, dash doesn't consume endurance meter, but in exhange is not block cancelable, only run cancelable, which in turn you can cancel into anything.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
believe, people will do OK in MKX without relying in dash block ..... dash block was kinda an .... almost unforseen unexpect side effect in MK9 gameplay mechanic that ended being somehow useful for that game, but, NRS really did not wanted that to be a pattern for next game, so, the overall and general rule now and then while developing , for them at least, it's that : "no dashblock allowed after MK9" ....

in fact, it's not a gameplay mechanic fact that can be crucial and mandatory for a win on MK matches, so, people will be able to play and turn good in MKX without depending of dashblocks ..... I believe that ;)

Were do people get this idea that dash canceling into block was the only relevant use for ever canceling a dash? Canceling into pokes, and fast normals were a big part of the whole dash canceling mechanic not just block dashing. Also, walking played just as big of role in movement as dash blocking, maybe even more so.

cyke_out

Noob
If the walk speed is relatively quick, even faster than mk9, then you won't need dash blocking for mid range footsies. And with the run mechanic, you can do impressive combos since we have already done run combos in the demo of E3.

I think people need to stop freaking out or trying to think that mkx is just mk9.5.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Note, not speculation based completely on factual evidence, but also theories thrown in based on what we do know about all 3 games.

I think one thing people aren't taking away from the movement options in MKX is that a lot of the choices have to do with how NRS's previous games played and how movement tied into that.

In MK9, you didn't have just one particular mobility option on the ground that was better...you had two good options that really covered ground well and didn't force you to really commit and leave yourself vulnerable. Due to how NRS likes to do their projectiles, in which the projectiles are generally designed to trade actual hits instead of clash and as such they have a lengthier recovery time to allow actual trades in comparison to say Street Fighter, the projectiles tended to actually not be very solid in actual keepaway for some characters. This made zoning for a number of characters very difficult to actually rely on, because the design of the projectiles, combined with a much better selection of mobility made it really easy to traverse the screen and get through the projectiles. And due to these characters being designed around keepaway, they oftentimes didn't have strong enough footsies to compensate, whether it was good normals on the defensive, or decent walk speeds and dashes. The only time you saw keepaway actually be viable was in the case of really, really powerful keepaway options, which resulted in some massive problems for a number of characters.

Meanwhile, in Injustice, you have a pretty similar projectile design, for the most part. The key difference, though, is now dashing covers a ton of distance in comparison to MK9, but they were 100% commitments in that they couldn't be cancelled. And on top of this, walking was much slower. While the projectiles still weren't as strong recovery-wise in comparison to other games, the altered movement made zoning pretty difficult to deal with for some characters who didn't have a standard option to avoid or counter them. Backdashes also had invincibility, so that gave characters the ability to get away from their opponents. It also made it difficult to play footsies because spacing was much more difficult to achieve.

With MKX, there's a mix of a lot of things. Walking is even faster than MK9, though dashing is in the same style as Injustice (though faster). In addition, the run mechanic has a specific gauge that ties into other actions as well. The movement interactables also seem to cover more distance than the ones in Injustice. It seems with MKX, they're trying to achieve a set of movement options that are really, really good, but if you want to use the better ones, there's a cost or you're forced to commit, and even when you don't want to commit you're not a fish out of water. It makes sense because it's pretty much a direct answer to the way both MK9 and Injustice played.