What's new

Tips for finishing a stick!

aj1701

Noob
The box for my MK stickless controller is done! Well, its assembled. I now need to finish it. I was thinking of spray painting everything but the top, which I have some art I want to put on it. So, is spray painting pretty common or is there some other way to finish it?

For the top art, I was told to go to Kinkos and "print a screen," but I'm not quite sure what that means or what it will entail to get the art onto the top. I know most people use plexi to protect it as well, but I'd like to find an alternate way to protect the image, similar to how my AIAB is finished on the top.

Once that's done, I just need to install the PCB. Is there any reason not to just attach it directly to the wood on the inside? Or should I have some space between the bottom of the PCB and the wood?

TIA!

nwo

Noob
If money isn't really an issue, I'd recommend using HAPP "black pica" vinyl instead of spray paint, it has a more professional look (imo), it comes in an adhesive roll and is easy to apply. It's actually not that expensive but the suzo-happ website forces you to buy X amount. You'd need a smooth surface for it though.

As far as printing, I've had some bad experiences with Kinkos, and I'd recommend either matte or semi-gloss photo paper if it's gonna be under plexi-glass, high gloss doesn't look as good under plexi (imo). I'm still experimenting with this.

Here's how I mounted my PCB, the wiring job might not be the best, but it's not too sloppy either. I think I have 3 wires running down minus the USB cable.

aj1701

Noob
Hmm, thanks for the tip on the vinyl, I'll check that out. I'd probably go to Staples, there's really not too many places that I know of unfortunately. Technically I don't think we have a Kinkos in my area. :)

So you think the vinyl would work with this?

2012-05-04_17-40-40_539.jpg 2012-05-04_17-41-17_201.jpg

Also, any ideas if I don't want to do plexi? Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it!

Reactions: nwo

nwo

Noob
Oh and yeah, if you aren't using t-molding I wouldn't use plexi-glass either. I cut my hand pretty bad on the edge of the plexi glass while using my "mock up" stick (which didn't have t-molding). I'm not sure what AIAB uses, but I think it has some kind of polycarbonate laminate protecting it.

aj1701

Noob
Oh and yeah, if you aren't using t-molding I wouldn't use plexi-glass either. I cut my hand pretty bad on the edge of the plexi glass while using my "mock up" stick (which didn't have t-molding). I'm not sure what AIAB uses, but I think it has some kind of polycarbonate laminate protecting it.
Ya, no t-molding. Polycarb laminate... at least I have something to google with now. Thanks so much man, I want to finish this up so bad!

Snarfulz

Noob
router a small radius on the edge so it wont get caught on anything. If you've never used vinyl it can come out looking bad! Go to a sign shop around town that prints vinyl, get some art work, make it or have them make it and have them print and stick it for you, if they mess it up they will do it again for free. Spray the case then have them apply the decal, also have them put clear over the art so it doesnt fade or peal.

If not that just cover that thing in your favorite stickers, the ol graffiti look! or wheat paste magazine images all over it and then clear coat it.

just remember to do all this with the case empty, then put your buttons a stuff in last! good luck

How did you cut your hand, Did you just not sand, and buff the edges because it was a mock up?

nwo

Noob
How did you cut your hand, Did you just not sand, and buff the edges because it was a mock up?
Yeah, it was a piece of plexi that I had cut straight from the store, this was before I discovered sanding the edges. I also play MK in the dark a lot, I just set my hand down too hard one night on the edge.