What's new

TheSteamCo CD Jr wins Killer Instinct in the Level Up Online Warrior Championships #1!

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Tonight has witnessed the rise of Level Up's Online Warrior Championships for the Killer Instinct community, courtesy of Alex Valle! For the debut event, twenty-four titans have responded to the call for battle. If you thought that the hype for online tournaments could not possibly match those of an offline event...you were just proven wrong. The bracket was gradually minimized until a stacked Top 8 remained, from which only one champion could emerge victorious...and tonight, that champion is the EVO 2014 champion, TheSteamCo CD Jr!

Online World Championships Killer Instinct CD Jr vs Paul B.png
We witnessed too many hype moments to count in one hand, but we'll go ahead and list a few so as to convey the excitement!

1. CD Jr used TJ Combo for only one match, after which he proceeded to bring glory to the Amazons by dominating the competition with Maya!

2. Paul B could practically feel his victory by the nails of his claws in Winner's Finals, only for CD Jr's Maya to snatch the dream away from him. A fitting vengeance to how Paul B himself stole victory from the hearts of his previous victims!

3. There was apparently an animosity between MT Rico Suave and KUF RM PushaGrief that they'd originally planned to settle in a money match, but they were given their chance in an entirely different setting that they were willing to consent to. The outcome? Grief ensnared his opponent in his jungle of webbing, punctuating each victory with a display of taunting that would blow all the stream monsters out of their minds!

4. Of the first four matches in Top 8, only one of them was not a 2-0 blow-out!

Congratulations go out to CD Jr for becoming the first Online Warrior Champion with Maya! Shout-outs to the approximate 3,000 viewers that showed up to check out the tournament! Be sure to follow Level Up's stream at www.twitch.tv/leveluplive for when they return next Monday, or you could miss out on rivalries that will practically make history books!
Tournament bracket: http://levelup.challonge.com/owc2014_ki_1

Tournament archive presented here (skip to 1:30:53) - http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/580244293

Winner's Bracket, Round 1

GamerLCD (Maya): 2 vs. KOLD X (Jago): 0

Credle Mustard (Sadira): 1 vs. C88 Bison (Sabrewulf): 2

C88 DevilJin101 (Fulgore): 0 vs. KUF RM PushaGrief (Sadira): 2

RM McSquard2 (Maya): 0 vs. TheSteamCo CD Jr (TJ Combo): 2

C88 Bison (Sabrewulf): 0 vs. Hitbox Tyrant (Spinal): 2

Proalienking17 (Spinal): 0 vs. Paul B (Sabrewulf): 2

Winner's Bracket, Round 2

GutterMagic (Thunder): 2 vs. MT Rico Suave (Fulgore and Thunder): 1

Paul B (Sabrewulf): 2 vs. Griffin (Glacius): 0

pH Almakashi (Orchid): 0 vs. TheSteamCo CD Jr (Maya): 2

Hitbox Tyrant (Spinal): 1 vs. KUF RM PushaGrief (Sadira): 2

Winner's Semifinals

GutterMagic (Thunder): 0 vs. Paul B (Sabrewulf): 2

TheSteamCo CD Jr (Maya): 2 vs. KUF RM PushaGrief (Sadira): 0

Loser's Bracket, Round 4

MT Rico Suave (Spinal): 2 vs. C88 Bison (Sabrewulf): 0

Proalienking17 (Spinal): 1 vs. pH Almakashi (Orchid): 2

Loser's Quarterfinals

MT Rico Suave (Thunder and Spinal): 0 vs. KUF RM PushaGrief (Sadira): 2

GutterMagic (Thunder): 2 vs. pH Almakashi (Orchid and TJ Combo): 0

Winner's Finals

TheSteamCo CD Jr (Maya): 3 vs. Paul B (Sabrewulf): 2

Loser's Semifinals

GutterMagic (Thunder): 2 vs. KUF RM PushaGrief (Sadira): 1

Loser's Finals

Paul B (Sabrewulf): 3 vs. GutterMagic (Thunder): 1

Grand Finals

TheSteamCo CD Jr (Maya): 3 vs. Paul B (Sabrewulf): 1

lordspinalkillerinstinct

He is not my main even though i have that name
That tournament was tha bom bro Oh yeah I stayed up late to watch it
I really hoped Tyrant didn't DQ'd himself though cause his spinal is so Godlike I Need a hitbox myself or a ps4 controller for my xbone
I hope soon people from europe can join the tounament too or we make our own
I wish Tyrant vs rico or cdjr were gonna fight maybe next time
And why didn't MR Grimmmz enter the tournament ?

loogie

Noob
a week old character wins a tourney ...
same with TJ, 2 week old and won a tourney ...

people playing their mains from day1, lose it to a week old character. you ask why? no time to learn the matchup, find counters for the new character, defend against their setups and shenanigans, if it was a month forward after the launch that tourney organizer allows the use of the new DLC the outcome could have been different.

next month we have the "Notamummy" character release, I'd like to see community's reaction when the new character (played by CD or not) wins the next tourney...

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
a week old character wins a tourney ...
same with TJ, 2 week old and won a tourney ...

people playing their mains from day1, lose it to a week old character. you ask why? no time to learn the matchup, find counters for the new character, defend against their setups and shenanigans, if it was a month forward after the launch that tourney organizer allows the use of the new DLC the outcome could have been different.

next month we have the "Notamummy" character release, I'd like to see community's reaction when the new character (played by CD or not) wins the next tourney...
It's not like this was EVO or anything. I don't see a big deal. It helps showcase the new characters and might get some new people on board with the game. I'm way more excited to see CD Jr play TJ and Maya than I would be if he was still using Sadira.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I learned a lot watching @CD jr

Some seriously great play and great job representing NRS not to mentioning winning w whatever character you choose to use

Although maya looks like your girl

Seriously great play

Also Rico vs gief was hype

One last thing I learned watching the stream:

NO ONE USES FULGORE, possibly because he's a huge bill . HUGE.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
I learned a lot watching @CD jr NO ONE USES FULGORE, possibly because he's a huge bill . HUGE.
Fulgore is still good! Really good actually. In the offline tourney that took place before this one (on Saturday) a player named NickyVengence took CDjr to the wire only loosing against to him 3-2 in both winners finals and grand finals (CDjr was using TJ Combo there). The top Fulgores just didn't show up for the online tourney. In fact, many people didn't show up for the tourney that I was hoping to see.

Also, it was too bad Valle couldn't play his Fulgore, but then again, he was doing a stellar job running the tourney behind the scenes.

Last edited:

Pig Of The Hut

Fulgore is still good! Really good actually. In the offline tourney that took place before this one (on Saturday) a player named NickyVengence took CDjr to the wire only loosing against to him 3-2 in both winners finals and grand finals (CDjr was using Maya there too). The top Fulgores just didn't show up for the online tourney. In fact, many people didn't show up for the tourney that I was hoping to see.

Also, it was too bad Valle couldn't play his Fulgore, but then again, he was doing a stellar job running the tourney behind the scenes.
First off I absolutely suck, but I observe constantly and am trying to play at a high level eventually and this is just what I've seen . Is there footage of that fulgore vs jr? I am always starving for top fulgore play to learn from. Even Valle who is probably the best fulgore has hella time vs top players w better characters which just reinforces my thoughts. It's very evident fulgore has to work his ass off compared to a wulf or maya

Anbu

AnbuSasukePro/KHAOTIC_ANBUx
Is there anyway this could be posted on YouTube? I can't watch twitch archives on mobile :(

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
First off I absolutely suck, but I observe constantly and am trying to play at a high level eventually and this is just what I've seen . Is there footage of that fulgore vs jr? I am always starving for top fulgore play to learn from. Even Valle who is probably the best fulgore has hella time vs top players w better characters which just reinforces my thoughts. It's very evident fulgore has to work his ass off compared to a wulf or maya
Valle and CDjr had an extended set a few days ago...
This was a day or 2 after S2 dropped I think. Needless to say Cdjr's Maya is getting better so we'll have to wait and see how the matchup shakes out over time.

CD jr

Noob
I learned a lot watching @CD jr

Some seriously great play and great job representing NRS not to mentioning winning w whatever character you choose to use

Although maya looks like your girl

Seriously great play

Also Rico vs gief was hype

One last thing I learned watching the stream:

NO ONE USES FULGORE, possibly because he's a huge bill . HUGE.
Fulgore is really really good pig just not easy to play that's why a lot of people don't play him. I think he is a tier under the top tiers

Pig Of The Hut

Fulgore is really really good pig just not easy to play that's why a lot of people don't play him. I think he is a tier under the top tiers
He definitely seems to have to work more than others, not giving up on him it's just an observation. I wish Rico and others would use him for every MU

good job man, you used to kill it in mk9 with jax, now your killing the ranks in KI3 :), see you all in mkx :D

Awkward Sloth

Lamest Harley, still better sloth than Jer
I can't wait to get home to watch this. Thunder hype <3 Gutters Thunder is a pleasure to watch.