What's new

Strategy The Subzero tech/strat video thread

Dark_Rob

Noob
With the recent trend towards making videos about tech/strats becoming more common, Ive decided we need a more organized way to have these on file. A database so to speak. The point of this thread is simple. Knowledge is power. Whether good,bad, or indifferent it is better for you all to know about different setups,traps,gimmicks(yes even gimmicks,you never know when one might save your tournament life),new tech,general strategies and so forth.

What I will do is gather up all the recent videos of subzero strats and tech and embed them here. I will also add new ones as they come out and remove older ones that either get taken down by the youtube account or are made irrelevant by patch changes or hotfixes. This is part of my ongoing plan to bring order to the chaos that has been the Subzero forums. Rather then just posting individual threads whenever some new tech/strat vid comes out(which you can still do btw) this will be a stickied thread devoted to keeping these vids in one central location.

If you want your tech video to be included here I have one basic rule, make it about the tech/strats and nothing else. There were a few videos recently that will not be included because they were not mainly about Subzero strats,but about two players slinging mud at each other. Thats the surest way to not see your video in here.

So first up we have a video from REO explaining ways to get followup damage when a 2,1 connects that you dont expect to. For instance when 2 is blocked but 1 hits. Many Subs use 2,1 for pressure and to build meter on block and are not always expecting for it to hit, particularly when its the 2nd hit of 2,1 that hits. REO shows what to do in this situation:

Next we have another vid from REO showing how you can use a deep JK to hit your opponent from behind the clone making it hard for them to AA you in the corner. As REO himself says this is situational,does not work on all character and can infact be escaped. The point isnt that there are holes in the strat, its just one more thing Sub players can have in their toolboxes. Sub is all about making reads and the more tools you have for making reads the better:

Next up we have what REO dubbed "Shoryukens prison" Now even though Tom brady recently showed that this setup is in fact escapable because once the ground freeze becomes active the clone disappears and you can jump out. This is actually not THAT easy to do. You have to jump out at exactly the right time. Jump to early and the clone will still be there and catch you, try to jump to late and you wont be able to, the ground freeze will catch you. So there is some timing involved in escaping it. Nevertheless I do believe this setup can have some practical applications. The important thing to remember is that this is only one option among many many others Subzero has in the corner, and only one among many different situations he can put his opponent in. Again its something in the tool box and when used sparingly and correctly I believe it can pay big dividends:

*NEW VIDEO*
RedRaptor10 brings us his D4>ice clone>throw setup in the corner. He demonstrates the ins and outs of how to apply this, the variations between characters and how different character hitboxes affect how you do the setup. As well as using this setup to lead into other setups once they are guarding for it. Good stuff RedRaptor10.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Maybe consider doing spoiler tags so that all the videos don't take up so much space? Not trying to sound like an ass :) Just seems like there will be a LOT to scroll through the way Brady likes to make his vids and so on.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Maybe consider doing spoiler tags so that all the videos don't take up so much space? Not trying to sound like an ass :) Just seems like there will be a LOT to scroll through the way Brady likes to make his vids and so on.
Thats not a bad idea. Ive never used the spoiler tags. So errrr how do I do that?

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
About time! :)

I just didn't liked that Shoryuken's Prison was there. It's really bad tech imo. Even at med level, imagine at the HIGHEST POSSIBLE LEVEL? :p

ryublaze

Noob
You can give spoilers a name like

[ spoiler="name of tech here" ]video here[ /spoiler ] without the spaces.

Hi

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
SemiEvilRyu

Just noticed that you went too... any footage of you?
Unfortunately, yes. Tournament nerves got to me BIG TIME, yesterday. Constantly making mistakes that I never ever make. And Tom Brady, rightfully so, calls me out on it. He's absolutely right, the entire time. (Side note: I absolutely love the commentary. With both blowing me up for my mistakes and just making fun of my gamertag. It's funny! :) I honestly think that 16-bit and Brady should tag team commentary more often!) I'm still watching these videos now and I'm shaking my head with each screw up that I make. It honestly embarrasses me, lol. But shoutouts to Brady walking over after the match and saying hey to me and giving me a couple of pointers. The guy really is super cool.

http://www.own3d.tv/teamspooky#/watch/578548 (Skip to the 6:30 mark) This is my first match of the day. I start off the day trying to hit confirm with 2,2,4,clone in the corner. After the third or fourth one, I catch myself: "What the fuck am I doing? I totally know better than this.". Again, tournament nerves. First time playing on stream in a major tournament. Those nerves will get you!

http://www.own3d.tv/teamspooky#/watch/578918 Video starts mid-match. Jeremiah is literally the third Sheeva that I have ever fought in my life. And the other two were only online and hardly ever used stomp. I have no MU experience at all against her.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
SemiEvilRyu

LOL @ them blowing up your tag! Pushing those old ladies over and not saving the kids from the fire! hahaha... that was great!

Yeah, but you did use 224 in the corner when you shouldn't have... luckily it didn't matter. IDK what was really up with that Kenshi guy... I always find it so hard to get in on Kenshi. Your slides were working so well.

Bout to watch the other...

Dark_Rob

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for random Sub Videos... but I didn't see where else to ask for these. So, my bad if it's wrong.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Aww... I would have liked to see the whole thing!

And Charlie... what the hell man?! You shoulda KNOWN he would pull the Xray on your ice blast!
lol... the only part of the match I look good... was the first set we played. I got up on stage and just played the character... then Tom made a good read... and I said "Good stuff Tom" and my stupid brain then went "YOUR PLAYING TOM BRADY" and i lost my cool. I started doing silly things that I watch people do against me... follow the tech roll into a clone, jump into clone (wtf right?). It is all good. I got to talk to him a bit, and he really is a great guy. Entertaining as hell.

BTW... you WILL NOT get out of the corner against this guy. I hope his vids get posted after this tourney... they hold small things that help just maul your opponent when they are in there.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
lol... the only part of the match I look good... was the first set we played. I got up on stage and just played the character... then Tom made a good read... and I said "Good stuff Tom" and my stupid brain then went "YOUR PLAYING TOM BRADY" and i lost my cool. I started doing silly things that I watch people do against me... follow the tech roll into a clone, jump into clone (wtf right?). It is all good. I got to talk to him a bit, and he really is a great guy. Entertaining as hell.

BTW... you WILL NOT get out of the corner against this guy. I hope his vids get posted after this tourney... they hold small things that help just maul your opponent when they are in there.
Actually, the other part of your video (I think) is on the end of the second link SemiEvilRyu posted. Where you won the first round. You did good and looked like the Charlie that blows me up in Sub mirrors! haha

And what's with you guys and your MK1 costumes!? SMH ... Costume 2 is where it's at. :p

Dark_Rob

Noob

You didnt do to bad dude. Taking the Tom Brady challenge is not easy. Ive banged my head against the wall many times trying to lol. Dont feel bad about doing dumb things. Thats what Tom makes you do. He mas more experience in the Sub mirror match then probably anybody else. Hes played EVERY Subzero,cptxecution's,Marvaz's,mine,Shoryuken's, everybody.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
And what's with you guys and your MK1 costumes!? SMH ... Costume 2 is where it's at. :p
I've been dying to ask Brady the question about using alt costumes and their possibility of increasing the frequency of the input bug. He's mentioned it once before in a video way back when and I wanted to get his current take on it. I totally blew it by not asking him that, yesterday.

Dark_Rob

Noob
I've been dying to ask Brady the question about using alt costumes and their possibility of increasing the frequency of the input bug. He's mentioned it once before in a video way back when and I wanted to get his current take on it. I totally blew it by not asking him that, yesterday.
He thinks the UMK3 costume is more prone to getting standing 4 when your trying to do down4. He hates costume 2 because its Noob and he yells at me because its the only one I use. I dont think he a problem with MK1 but he never uses it. He only uses default.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Actually, the other part of your video (I think) is on the end of the second link SemiEvilRyu posted. Where you won the first round. You did good and looked like the Charlie that blows me up in Sub mirrors! haha

I knew Tom would use the Primary and I wanted to look different :)
Regardless... You guys didn't get to see some of his casuals. The dude blows people up.
I didn't even think to whip out my phone and record. His casuals are some of the most entertaining things he does. Especially in long sets where he can adapt and use some of his mixups.

Might have a new Kano strat. Faced one today, on two occasions I whiff countered upball. He block stringed and ended with upball. Not sure if he cancelled or not, but when I knew he was gonna do the upball, I D3'd and immediately went into 212. The up ball whiffed me because of the D3 hitbox and 212 autocorrected and hit for full combo.