What's new

The Skype Illuminati Presents: Bracket for 2014 NRS Cup

Hades

Noob
"hey! You've been invited to compete for thousands of dollars"

Lol who would say no? I'm not sure that there is much to discus here TBH
Hmm who wouldn't compete for free money..... Imagine that money on offer for playing a game when you have nothing to lose it would be a great idea to take up an offer like that wouldn't it. Like what if someone was offered 1k to play a fighting game and turned it down for free money that would just be ridiculous wouldn't it.... @Perfect Legend :DOGE

NurzBenny

Old Member
Salty

Anyway yeah this is hype. Should definitely contact the powers that be during MKX's first year about this. Real WB Money and advertisement would be hype. Imagine it streaming on IGN or something alongside twitch. The name Mortal Kombat will always be a draw, make it work for us.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Salty

Anyway yeah this is hype. Should definitely contact the powers that be during MKX's first year about this. Real WB Money and advertisement would be hype. Imagine it streaming on IGN or something alongside twitch. The name Mortal Kombat will always be a draw, make it work for us.
Quan will be there I guarantee it. Im not fucking around come MKX

IceNinja

Assassin
Your entire argument is that it would be stupid because Capcom did it.

Why would that be stupid? Please give a real argument.
Ok you want a real argument, I can't believe I have to explain all this but here it goes. First of all you simplified what I said as much as possible. I didn't say it would be stupid because Capcom did it, I said you guys shouldn't just copy Capcom and it would be stupid if every other FG developer did it too ie: NRS Cup, Nintendo/Smash Cup, Double Helix Cup, Arc System Works/Aksys Cup, Namco Cup(has a nice ring to it tho), SNK Playmore Cup etc... People need to be creative and come up with there own ideas. They could do something similar, but not the exact same thing, i mean come on. I also said it would be embarrassing because it wouldn't get many views and the games don't function that well (injustice isn't that bad offline but MK9 is just a joke). The reason it wouldn't get many views is because not many people really care about NRS games. I guarantee that every other community in the FGC will immediately facepalm when they hear of an NRS Cup(at this time).

NRS has only made 2 imo bad games, that's it. Capcom has been around for decades and has produced some of the most iconic games in history. MK9 is a dead game and you could say Injustice is too. SF4 has been out since 2008(arcade) 2009(console) and is still going strong with an update as recent as Dec.15 2014(lol). If for some miracle MKX actually turns out to be a really good tournament fighter then it would be kool to have somthing like a Capcom Cup but not the exact same thing, and it shouldn't be the first year. You have to have a well developed community and game that last for a long time to do such things. If NRS wants this to happen then they need to update the game once every 6 months to a year for a long time like Capcom instead of patching over and over again for the first 6 months and then never touching it again(but they want to put out a new game every couple of years). It also has to be done by either NRS or WB, not the players. One of the reasons the LoL pro scene is so successful is because Riot took complete control of their pro league(they are also going strong with the same game on it's 5th season). Which i have always thought needed to happen in the FGC, Capcom did that to an extent, it's kool that they didn't take it completely over and made the community tourney's part of the Capcom Cup.

Finally the MK community needs to learn a lesson from the Smash community. They use to get the most hate out of all the games in the FGC, but they don't anymore because they did their OWN thing, they have their OWN tournaments and they don't just follow the SF community. They don't care what the other communities think of them either. In time they have earned the respect of the FGC and the whole gaming world.

There, is that a good enough explanation for ya?

Last edited:

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Ok you want a real argument, I can't believe I have to explain all this but here it goes. First of all you simplified what I said as much as possible. I didn't say it would be stupid because Capcom did it, I said you guys shouldn't just copy Capcom and it would be stupid if every other FG developer did it too ie: NRS Cup, Nintendo/Smash Cup, Double Helix Cup, Arc System Works/Aksys Cup, Namco Cup(has a nice ring to it tho), SNK Playmore Cup etc... People need to be creative and come up with there own ideas. They could do something similar, but not the exact same thing, i mean come on. I also said it would be embarrassing because it wouldn't get many views and the games don't function that well (injustice isn't that bad offline but MK9 is just a joke). The reason it wouldn't get many views is because not many people really care about NRS games. I guarantee that every other community in the FGC will immediately facepalm when they hear of an NRS Cup(at this time).

NRS has only made 2 imo bad games, that's it. Capcom has been around for decades and has produced some of the most iconic games in history. MK9 is a dead game and you could say Injustice is too. SF4 has been out since 2008(arcade) 2009(console) and is still going strong with an update as recent as Dec.15 2014(lol). If for some miracle MKX actually turns out to be a really good tournament fighter then it would be kool to have somthing like a Capcom Cup but not the exact same thing, and it shouldn't be the first year. You have to have a well developed community and game that last for a long time to do such things. If NRS wants this to happen then they need to update the game once every 6 months to a year for a long time like Capcom instead of patching over and over again for the first 6 months and then never touching it again(but they want to put out a new game every couple of years). It also has to be done by either NRS or WB, not the players. One of the reasons the LoL pro scene is so successful is because Riot took complete control of their pro league(they are also going strong with the same game on it's 5th season). Which i have always thought needed to happen in the FGC, Capcom did that to an extent, it's kool that they didn't take it completely over and made the community tourney's part of the Capcom Cup.

Finally the MK community needs to learn a lesson from the Smash community. They use to get the most hate out of all the games in the FGC, but they don't anymore because they did their OWN thing, they have their OWN tournaments and they don't just follow the SF community. They don't care what the other communities think of them either. In time they have earned the respect of the FGC and the whole gaming world.

In short, no not really.

Why does the NRS scene have to come up with a different idea? The cup is a great idea and using it for our own games doesn't devalue the tourney itself.
I also don't buy the idea that just because this is a smaller scene that something like an NRS Cup should be frowned upon. Even if other scenes did laugh, you yourself mentioned later that one thing we need to do is not care what the SF/other scenes think. Which is it?

Further, addressing the "you have to have a .... game hat last for a long time to do [a cup]"
Why exactly? We all know it isn't in NRS' business model to restructure and balance the same game for 6 years like it is for capcom. Does that mean we should just automatically be banned from having an experience like a cup?

IceNinja

Assassin
I also just want to say, if you notice, the games that have a successful pro league are the ones that people have been playing for years and years. Like Starcraft, pvp arean WoW, LoL, Dota, CS GO, SF, Melee. Not games that are only relevant for 1 or 2 years. If NRS wants to be in that realm/arena/scene/world they need to make a decision! Do they want to put out a new game every couple of years and make a couple million dollars or do they want to make a main stay that last 6/7+ years, has a real pro league and could potentially make 10 million+ dollars?

I truly believe that Mortal Kombat could be the CoD of the FGC and i mean that in a good way. If it was made as good as SF or better and had the support from the developers as much as LoL does. Then i really think MK could sell 10 million+ copies. But it wont happen with MKX no matter how good it is, you have to earn the trust of the gamers first. If MK9 was as good and as popular as SF4 is, then MKX could sell that much if it's just as good of a game. So if MKX does turn out really really good, then MK11 could sell 10 million copies.

Edit: I realized while I was working that I made a bonehead mistake, the dollar figures in this post i made were way off, I guess i was thinking along the lines of album sales or something, but they definitely make way more then a couple million dollars of a couple million copies sold. I don't work for them or anything so i have no idea but it's probably more like $50-$100 mill off a couple mill copies sold. Imagine how much they would make of 10+ mill copies sold. :eek:

I figure someone probably pointed this out but idk, I'm not going to read anything else you guys have to say. You asked for a discussion and i saw no one else gave an opposing opinion at the time i read this thread. I had one, so I threw it out there. Then you guys ask for more explanation and when I give it, you attack me, instead of actually discussing it. No wonder people don't take the MK/NRS community seriously. You act like a bunch of children. You have terrible community leaders like Pig (who try to get people to stop going to certain tournaments) instead of people like Alex Valle. It's all good tho, I'm just not going to leave a comment or contribute or defend the MK community in anyway anymore (I'm sure you guys will just applaud that anyways). I'll still care and watch the tourneys, but that's it. I honestly hope some day I'll see Mortal Kombat up there with SF or maybe even LoL. Good bye.

Last edited:

IceNinja

Assassin
Just because i pointed out the other communities will facepalm doesn't mean we should care about it. I'm just pointing it out because it's a bad idea right now imo. But w/e my opinion doesn't matter, i'm a nobody and you guys should just do whatever you want.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police

No actually. It was just terrible arguments all around. Your argument is still literally "it would be stupid because other people do it and I don't like injustice so I think it's dumb."

One of your statements was that the NRS community should do their own thing...

This would be the NRS community doing their own thing. /facepalm

Last edited:

NurzBenny

Old Member
@IceNinja I think you're sorely underestimating just how popular the name Mortal Kombat was/still is. For a generation of gamers, the only two names in fighting games were Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. Even with a lull in game quality for the better part of a decade, the games have always sold well, which is why they continuously get made. The MK9 finals had the most youtube views of any game at EVO for quite a while, THIS YEAR (thanks again IGN).The longevity of the games argument is a valid one . . . until Street Fighter V is the cup game

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player

IceNinja

Assassin
@IceNinja I think you're sorely underestimating just how popular the name Mortal Kombat was/still is. For a generation of gamers, the only two names in fighting games were Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. Even with a lull in game quality for the better part of a decade, the games have always sold well, which is why they continuously get made. The MK9 finals had the most youtube views of any game at EVO for quite a while, THIS YEAR (thanks again IGN).The longevity of the games argument is a valid one . . . until Street Fighter V is the cup game
Yes SFV will have the Capcom Cup from the get go. It's like Starcraft, it was played professionally for 11 years, eventually you have to put out a new one and the pro leagues will continue with 2 from the start but they know it will be played for a long time. Like SFV will be (if it's good).

jamessmk

I am your god
LOL here comes negative nancy, you guys can't fill up a major anywhere in the country. I mean I get more seagulls at the South Street seaport in NYC, with 4 pieces of bread. Who and what idiot company would put up money for 100 to 128 guys. This community has never put up real numbers. I remember when @RapZiLLa54 and @SwiftTomHanks approached me about helping sponsor this very same idea of the NRS cup over a year and a half ago, damn even same name. Here is problem number 1, Capcom ain't doing nothing. Sony is basically playing government with a bailout to a failing company, just follow the stocks as the went from 10 dollars a share to just below 7 Next, what is the benefit to WB? They will not make more sales for a game, that is already slated to sell through tons. As far as Injustice goes sorry to say turnout would be 99% TYM and that is certainly not enough to garner WB love. Plus with such low turnouts what other games you gonna include MK-1/2/3 and so on. Those who actively played most is them are married and moved on with the gaming life. Those of us still left would make up a 16 man event. again not worth investment. In hindsight Sony can take risk, due to trying to win a console war. What is WB's gain for investing. They have the IP they don't need any real extra exposure, it's only a like community fluff.. Carry on

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
LOL here comes negative nancy, you guys can't fill up a major anywhere in the country. I mean I get more seagulls at the South Street seaport in NYC, with 4 pieces of bread. Who and what idiot company would put up money for 100 to 128 guys. This community has never put up real numbers. I remember when @RapZiLLa54 and @SwiftTomHanks approached me about helping sponsor this very same idea of the NRS cup over a year and a half ago, damn even same name. Here is problem number 1, Capcom ain't doing nothing. Sony is basically playing government with a bailout to a failing company, just follow the stocks as the went from 10 dollars a share to just below 7 Next, what is the benefit to WB? They will not make more sales for a game, that is already slated to sell through tons. As far as Injustice goes sorry to say turnout would be 99% TYM and that is certainly not enough to garner WB love. Plus with such low turnouts what other games you gonna include MK-1/2/3 and so on. Those who actively played most is them are married and moved on with the gaming life. Those of us still left would make up a 16 man event. again not worth investment. In hindsight Sony can take risk, due to trying to win a console war. What is WB's gain for investing. They have the IP they don't need any real extra exposure, it's only a like community fluff.. Carry on
Hmm.....James

This is a hypothetical-made-for-fun-and-entertainment-only fantasy situation

None of this is really happening, that bracket is just a would-be based on how capcom cup did it.

This is for entertainment fodder only though I could see myself arranging this at Evo if all were interested

Signed,
The guy you wish would die soon from cancer (or whatever u told people at Nec lol)