What's new

Strategy - Kitana Kitana General Discussion/Strategies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
how do you punish attacks that leave enemy low?
erron bag slide / sub zero slide. f112 just doesnt seem to connect or be fast enough. am i just too slow?
also, how the hell do you punish blocked mileena teleport strike? i am not fast enough with anything but throw, it annoys the hell out of me.
You can also use 3, Upraise, etc. Standing 3 is pretty quick and hits mid.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Has anyone played around with Float cancels off of an interactable? Close up you can pretty much immediately float and come back down with the overhead on their opposite side, it's a mindfuck for sure lol, or you can just wait and reverse the Float whenever. The best thing about it though is spending a bar of meter for the armor the interactable gives you. It's like having an armored, input reversing, nearly instant overhead launcher lol

Edit: Plus, it's flashy as fuck. ;)

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Seeing how many instant jump 2's I can hit in a row against goro in training is fun.

Try this, set your practice dummy to duck and block always (doesn't have to be goro). do a cross up or jump in punch, and then see how many Instant Jump 2's you can do before you miss and the dummy ducks again.

good way to get good at hitting Instant jump 2 lol.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Also, how exactly are you guys doing her iafs? I found out she can actually still do the MK9 shortcut version, but with a little bit more precision. And is it me, or does she throw them faster and lower AFTER hitting with a GF?

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
Also, how exactly are you guys doing her iafs? I found out she can actually still do the MK9 shortcut version, but with a little bit more precision. And is it me, or does she throw them faster and l
I'm just pressing Udf+1 (df+1 diagonally) sliding my thumb, but do it the moment that she gets into the air. It's harder for me, but then again, I'm using my Xbox One atm until I grab ahold of another PSN card (which will be soon). I'm uploading a video of me now practicing it. I'll edit the post when it finishes.

I also feel like they come out faster.

Edit: here's the video of me doing it, @xKhaoTik

Last edited:
So today I had the pleasure of having my first set against a Grandmaster Sub-Zero. This matchup is so oppressive.

I think this matchup is nearly unplayable in Assassin variation. I had far better mileage using the Royal Storm variation. The threat of reflecting his iceball helped tremendously. Even with the reflect though, it was extremely difficult. Not sure on the Mournful variation as I haven't had much practice with it yet so I never used it.

Up close you have to deal with his high/low mixups (2 low strings plus his slide for YOLO) and then his combo-starting overhead (each time he hit that it was like rubbing salt in Kitana's crap-overhead wound). Backdashing is ill-advised because his strings move him very far forward and he can easily punish. Most of the time I was just hoping to catch him doing an unsafe slide and block it to punish. But against better players/offline I don't think players will continuously end their strings with slide even if the string is blocked.

In the corner is where Sub-Zero shines so you really don't want to be there. The square wave dash helped a lot with escaping his corner pressure but if you get predictable with it Sub-Zero can easily punish/bait you. EX-throat slice was useful in escaping the pressure but do note that the armor only seems to last at the beginning of the move. So if the clone is a bit further away you'll just end up frozen even if you EX-throat slice.

Full-screen was surprisingly difficult as well. Sub-Zero's clone will reflect your fan toss so if he sits behind it and tosses an iceball you will just end up being frozen (which he can convert to combos from full screen away.) Trading with iceball is also a nightmare because if you trade, you stay frozen long enough for him to get back up and run in for a combo. Reflect comes in handy in the full-screen zoning match but if the Sub-Zero player is smart he will start to toss his clone at you and stuff your reflect. Reflecting while he has a clone out is pointless too because the clone will just absorb the reflected hit.

If Sub-Zero has the life-lead he will just sit and duck your fans. And if you approach he will just ice clone away. Air fan tosses seem rather ineffective because Sub-Zero has no reason to jump at you. He wants to just sit back until he can finally trade an iceball with your fan. Even trying to bait with an EX-Fan toss didn't work. It just trades with iceball and he gets back up and runs in for the punish or mixup. A lot of times he will just sit there and duck under your fans while waiting to set up his clone/iceball game.

I also found it difficult because Kitana's jump is quite floaty and in her neutral jump one of her legs extends straight down which oftentimes resulted in getting frozen by the tip of her toe.

I'm very interested in seeing if/how Kitana will combat this. Playing this match for me just felt like it was bringing out the flaws in Kitana's current design and highlighted her weaknesses.

Also, how exactly are you guys doing her iafs? I found out she can actually still do the MK9 shortcut version, but with a little bit more precision.
My lowest ones (head level) require Release Check + Input Shortcuts. I hold 1, press up and sweep DF, F and release.

Can anyone give me any advice on what to do in the situation of fighting another zoner? For example Kitana Vs Kitana?
Because essentially zoning the other Kitana is just zoning them into their own comfort zone?

Kas

Oh hai ^-^
Can anyone give me any advice on what to do in the situation of fighting another zoner? For example Kitana Vs Kitana?
Because essentially zoning the other Kitana is just zoning them into their own comfort zone?
Duck without blocking. Throw a fan. Repeat. Dont jump. If they jump, iAF.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Has anyone played around with Float cancels off of an interactable? Close up you can pretty much immediately float and come back down with the overhead on their opposite side, it's a mindfuck for sure lol, or you can just wait and reverse the Float whenever. The best thing about it though is spending a bar of meter for the armor the interactable gives you. It's like having an armored, input reversing, nearly instant overhead launcher lol

Edit: Plus, it's flashy as fuck. ;)
I use this a lot actually. I thought i posted it, but apparently i did not.

@xKhaoTik I will be super emo if they nerf her damage.

So today I had the pleasure of having my first set against a Grandmaster Sub-Zero. This matchup is so oppressive.

I think this matchup is nearly unplayable in Assassin variation. I had far better mileage using the Royal Storm variation. The threat of reflecting his iceball helped tremendously. Even with the reflect though, it was extremely difficult. Not sure on the Mournful variation as I haven't had much practice with it yet so I never used it.

Up close you have to deal with his high/low mixups (2 low strings plus his slide for YOLO) and then his combo-starting overhead (each time he hit that it was like rubbing salt in Kitana's crap-overhead wound). Backdashing is ill-advised because his strings move him very far forward and he can easily punish. Most of the time I was just hoping to catch him doing an unsafe slide and block it to punish. But against better players/offline I don't think players will continuously end their strings with slide even if the string is blocked.

In the corner is where Sub-Zero shines so you really don't want to be there. The square wave dash helped a lot with escaping his corner pressure but if you get predictable with it Sub-Zero can easily punish/bait you. EX-throat slice was useful in escaping the pressure but do note that the armor only seems to last at the beginning of the move. So if the clone is a bit further away you'll just end up frozen even if you EX-throat slice.

Full-screen was surprisingly difficult as well. Sub-Zero's clone will reflect your fan toss so if he sits behind it and tosses an iceball you will just end up being frozen (which he can convert to combos from full screen away.) Trading with iceball is also a nightmare because if you trade, you stay frozen long enough for him to get back up and run in for a combo. Reflect comes in handy in the full-screen zoning match but if the Sub-Zero player is smart he will start to toss his clone at you and stuff your reflect. Reflecting while he has a clone out is pointless too because the clone will just absorb the reflected hit.

If Sub-Zero has the life-lead he will just sit and duck your fans. And if you approach he will just ice clone away. Air fan tosses seem rather ineffective because Sub-Zero has no reason to jump at you. He wants to just sit back until he can finally trade an iceball with your fan. Even trying to bait with an EX-Fan toss didn't work. It just trades with iceball and he gets back up and runs in for the punish or mixup. A lot of times he will just sit there and duck under your fans while waiting to set up his clone/iceball game.

I also found it difficult because Kitana's jump is quite floaty and in her neutral jump one of her legs extends straight down which oftentimes resulted in getting frozen by the tip of her toe.

I'm very interested in seeing if/how Kitana will combat this. Playing this match for me just felt like it was bringing out the flaws in Kitana's current design and highlighted her weaknesses.
My roommate plays GM Sub-Zero and while we're probably not the best, I did understand a whole lot about the MU.

First of all, it's definitely NOT at Kitana's favor. The only thing you have going for you is damage--Sub Zero (currently) has to work for his and has to spend bar.

In the corner, you do have to make a hard read. There's no way around it. You can probably gimmick into parry I suppose, but that's extremely risky for 15% payoff (as oppossed to his 30-40%). In this sense, I think Royal Storm is your best bet, as at least you have an air escape option.

Here's what I found useful. Hope it helps:

- Use IAF sparingly. Sub can and will slide on reaction. Even worse, if he spaces you correctly, he can actually slide, not hit you and recover in time for an even better punish. Mid screen is an honest footsie game. Use it here and there to keep him honest and/or if he's full screen, but otherwise, not a good idea.

- You win air to air. You will deal 30-40% plus off a j2 than he will with his. Midscreen, watch out for opportunities of when he jumps, even over your head. Kitana can do a really early NJP, so you will beat out his option at best, get out of the vortex at worst.

- Against GM sub specifically, Float is not a bad idea. Jumping over his head and going for cross-up/non-cross-up means he has to respect your options and not just clone away. You can cancel into float early or late, which does mess up a lot of his inputs. If he's D2 happy, float really high and punish with NJP into 40%. You will outdamage him if he risks going air to air. Long story short, this is how you make him block.

- If you're using Assassin, do not be afraid to react to clone/iceball with EX AS. You don't need to use meter for combo damage--use it to make him afraid to zone you. 19% damage can and will add up.

Good luck.

Inception

I love Kitana
I am trying to learn Kitana in this game. What are her safe launchers and combos I should first start to focus on. Right now I started on learning f112 combos but I don't know how safe or how good this would be for the most practical. I want to work on her main bnb first before I go to launchers I can't hit as often.

My roommate plays GM Sub-Zero and while we're probably not the best, I did understand a whole lot about the MU.

First of all, it's definitely NOT at Kitana's favor. The only thing you have going for you is damage--Sub Zero (currently) has to work for his and has to spend bar.

In the corner, you do have to make a hard read. There's no way around it. You can probably gimmick into parry I suppose, but that's extremely risky for 15% payoff (as oppossed to his 30-40%). In this sense, I think Royal Storm is your best bet, as at least you have an air escape option.

Here's what I found useful. Hope it helps:

- Use IAF sparingly. Sub can and will slide on reaction. Even worse, if he spaces you correctly, he can actually slide, not hit you and recover in time for an even better punish. Mid screen is an honest footsie game. Use it here and there to keep him honest and/or if he's full screen, but otherwise, not a good idea.

- You win air to air. You will deal 30-40% plus off a j2 than he will with his. Midscreen, watch out for opportunities of when he jumps, even over your head. Kitana can do a really early NJP, so you will beat out his option at best, get out of the vortex at worst.

- Against GM sub specifically, Float is not a bad idea. Jumping over his head and going for cross-up/non-cross-up means he has to respect your options and not just clone away. You can cancel into float early or late, which does mess up a lot of his inputs. If he's D2 happy, float really high and punish with NJP into 40%. You will outdamage him if he risks going air to air. Long story short, this is how you make him block.

- If you're using Assassin, do not be afraid to react to clone/iceball with EX AS. You don't need to use meter for combo damage--use it to make him afraid to zone you. 19% damage can and will add up.

Good luck.
Thanks for the feedback! I'll definitely try to incorporate some of these suggestions. Though I am considering just counterpicking with a different character who maybe has a teleport? We'll see. I'm not giving up on it yet though.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll definitely try to incorporate some of these suggestions. Though I am considering just counterpicking with a different character who maybe has a teleport? We'll see. I'm not giving up on it yet though.
That's actually better lol. Kitana doesn't have a lot going on right now. Lots of gimmicks and reads, not enough safe options.

When I see characters like Raiden who has a teleport, fast normals, a high/low game, and starting to go to borderline insane damage with just 1 bar (he jumps from 26% to 40+% with by just spending one bar), it kinda is a no brainer to OS at the char select screen. :p

Inception

I love Kitana
Also I am having problems with combos like this. Some launcher blah blah f43, f43, 21, the 21 part the two connects but not the 1

Inception

I love Kitana
now I am hitting the 1 but the fan completely misses. It feels like I am waiting for them to float infront of my hands but then it seems to slow. But now the 1 is htting.

HDTran

Just a guy.
I haven't dug into Kitana much yet, but can you essentially play her like Arturo is playing Cybernetic Kano? Basically just going into projectile constantly without having a care in the world, mixup be damned? Just derp out the fans and then convert if they hit or shoot more if they don't?

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
Picked up Kitanna but i am having trouble opening up the opponent and doing combo damage. I have no idea what to do to get things going. I have the fan situation down though :D

Any help lol ?
You don't. You zone the fuck out of them until they come to you, bait jumps and specials. Fan is only -10 on block so just spam the fuck out of it until they fuck up and eat 30+% for taking a fan to the face.

Welp, ran my first tournament today with Kitana. Definitely hard to open up people who know what they're doing. But, her oki game with float is DEFINITELY underestimated. I can land NJP from a height, or hella close to the ground and it beats out even really good anti-air options. Even wake up from a b4 is something.

If I can get MIT to not press buttons and respect it... it must at least be somewhat viable. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.