What's new

The Newest Mortal Kombat (9) Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Obviously, the question was meant for m2dave, but, imo, the big reason is because it's hard for him to zone now because 1/2 the cast has armor and the other half has a teleport ... -_-
This is the point, he doesn't have to zone or fear the teleport, he has to use soul steal. Although, I don't know how he plays against the rest of the S tier...

KamikazeJD

Makes women fap
Thanks for the explaination! Im definitely trying to play you and represent my character. As well as tom and reo

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Prinzmetal said:
Why is Shang Tsung not S tier? He does need to use soul steal successfully and he wins, having that damage boost.
I consider all soul steal related arguments to be entirely theoretical. You are not likely to outplay your opponent (who is probably better than you are with his character) in a very short period of time, even with a damage boost. Besides, while soul steal is safe, the move has a 25 frame start up. EX sould steal is much better overall but requires meter. The point is "if Shang Tsung uses soul steal successfully, he wins because of damage boost" is a very naive argument. There are other intricacies involved.

By the way, I do not see Shang Tsung as a zoning character. Up skulls are too slow. Straight skulls have too many recovery frames. Shang Tsung is a lot more effective as a frame trap character. He is easily out-zoned by Kabal, Kitana, Freddy, Noob, Kano, etc. anyway. He needs to approach these characters to win. If he were a good zoning character, which he is not, he would not have to do so.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
As to why Shang isn't S-tier: I still think he is a very good character. Zoning aside, he still has some great frame traps. Mixed in with his zoning, he can still get the job done. The strange thing about Shang is that he matches up pretty well with the top tier in (with the exception of Raiden). Even if he is at a disadvantage, it is still very doable. The people that he struggles against come mainly from the lower tier: Jade, Noob and Stryker, which of course affects his tier position. I personally feel that NRS got lazy with the soul steal buff. They basically made the assumption that if the Shang player is good with everyone, then nerfing some of his upskull resets and giving everyone armor shouldn't matter. We have yet to see a Shang who is good with everyone, but even if you know the other character, 5 seconds isn't enough to play them. I think a good adjustment would have been to remove the damage boost from the soul steal and make the morph last longer (similar to past games). As it is, the best thing about the soul steal is that it prevents wakeups, controls space and is safe on block. When it hits, it isn't that great of a move.

Mileena: I used to think this was a bad matchup, but I now feel it is the other way around. She has to be very careful with D+4 because it can be blown up by ground skulls. She also has to take more risks to be effective because Shang can punish all of her specials hard. A blocked telekick and ball is punishable by 1,2,1,2 soul steal or upskull reset. This is particularly effective against her because all of her wake up attacks are punishable, so she is forced to block which leads into Shang's frame traps.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
So what matchup chart has shown Kitana with 0-2 bad matchups? Or are we doing some strange form of rounding here?

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
only thing I would do is move ermac up to A and sektor down to A but other than that its pretty much perfect

SZSR

Noob
So what matchup chart has shown Kitana with 0-2 bad matchups? Or are we doing some strange form of rounding here?
What does a bad matchup constitute anyways? <4.5 For the character?
IIRC, Raiden, Jax, Kitana and Nightwolf all gave Smoke a run for his money.

Is it solely, Raiden and Kitana now? What changed the bad match ups?

(Who were Kit's 0-2 bad match-ups anyways?)

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
Idk about this Tier List I thought the process of doing this was getting each character represented with its best current player of said character and they determin that out of 10 matches I think?not sure but I thought it went something like that.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Mileena:

28% no meter AA
Controls air
Ias
4 2 string
U 4 +9 on block
D 4
37% no meter combos
When JIP connects she has 14 mix up options
Full screen throw
Tele kicks all zoners followed be beforementioned pressure
2 3 4 zero on block
Etc etc etc
Appreciate the informal post, but at the same time you can kinda go over any character and do the same. How is Mileena that much better than Sektor?

iaTP is just as good as tk, if not better since EN version is safe.
Sektor's f2 is every bit as good as Mileena's d4
b34 a safe low that can lead up to 34% no meter and is neutral on block with godly range could compete with Mileena's u4
Flamethrow, vertical and horizontal missiles provide great zoning that can be just as much of a pain to get in as ias
Also has 37% no meter combos.
Great wake-ups off throw which Mileena doesn't have.
Good pressure tools with 12 and 21 and d4

The only deal breaker I see with Mileena being in top tier is maybe hitbox iaf, which leads back to my initial post of why Liu Kang wouldn't be in the same boat then.

Everyone's gonna have their own tier list, just a couple of them are head scratchers for me.

Mileena:

28% no meter AA ( you're relying on catching someone, it works, but can't be counted on)
Controls air ( what if they don't jump a lot?)
Ias (can be dashed & ducked)
4 2 string (then what? its her only decent pressure string but that doesn't mean its a good one)
U 4 +9 on block (and it will be blocked ... 90% of the time... so then to your next option...)
D 4 ( can be d1'd, jump kicked, handy but won't win a match)
37% no meter combos (hard to come by unless you are trying to jip which is too risky these days)
When JIP connects she has 14 mix up options (idk what you mean here but if you mean going b3 or u4, both are slow enough to be punished/blocked)
Full screen throw (lol ok)
Tele kicks all zoners followed be beforementioned pressure
2 3 4 zero on block (come on now)
Etc etc etc

the things you mentioned here aren't things to go around bragging about.... they all seem pretty mediocre
make a list like that about cyber sub... he'd look like the best character in the game, would totally blow away mileenas list

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
What constitutes a bad MU? 4/6 or worse? If so, JC has quite a few.

Cyrax (one mistake and he gets to capitalize on this BIG time. D4 saw.)
Ermac (it's a patience game with JC, zone him out, Ermac's hitbox negates EX FB as well)
Kabal (iAGBs)
Kenshi (armor keeps you out, strong zoner)
Noob (Up knee, much stronger zoner post patch)
Kitana (Fans, iAFs)
Reptile (anti-cage, good luck)
Sektor
Sub Zero (armored slide has made the ability to turtle him out much harder)

All of these are 4/6, with the exemption of Reptile. 8 bad MUs. B tier. On paper Rain isn't a MU in his favor, Freddy certainly isn't, and Skarlet's dagger cancels could be problematic as well. On paper, that's 9-10 to bump him down to C tier.

Sorry, but I'm going with F0xy's MU over REO's, I haven't seen REO play JC outside of casuals once at VSM. If REO has different insight, I'd really like to hear it.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
Hm, well I'm salty (feeling stupid). Mileena is in S tier????
How?????

Other than that one character though, I agree with the rest of the list 100%
Even Jade seems like the worst character too.

Hm, let's see the theory here with Mileena...
S = 0-2 bad match ups
A+ = 3-4 bad match ups
A = 5-6 bad match ups
B = 7-8 bad match ups
C = 9-10 bad match ups
D = 11+ bad match ups

Her bad match ups are Smoke, Sub Zero, Raiden, Kenshi, Kabal, Noob Saibot, Ermac, and potentially more.
So...certainly 7 bad match ups. So move Mileena to B tier, and I agree with the placement.
This is what I get for listening to ZeroEffect on Sub Zero info. Everyone has shut that idea down.
But, Reo himself used to say Kano, Shang, Kung Lao, and Night Wolf were bad for Mileena too. I didn't list those either.

REO also said Kung Lao beat Mileena 8-2, and Tom Brady kept saying Kano beats Kabal even after the knife was nerfed.

This is why the community chart is the best idea.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
REO also said Kung Lao beat Mileena 8-2, and Tom Brady kept saying Kano beats Kabal even after the knife was nerfed.

Yes, I agree. Honestly, I don't see why the MU chart is still falling on the opinion of 2 people, either. It's a big arrogant at this point; if I want a Jax MU chart I'm going to CD Jr. If I want a Scorpion MU chart, I'm going to Slips. etc.

DanCock

Cock Master!!

The knife is safer again to use since this recent patch. This is why I have gone back to Kano again as my alternate to sindel. I use him like 50% of the time now.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

M2Dave

Zoning Master
PimpUigi said:
But, Reo himself used to say Kano, Shang, Kung Lao, and Night Wolf were bad for Mileena too. I didn't list those either.
funkdoc said:
REO also said Kung Lao beat Mileena 8-2.
REO was basing his claims on version 1.04. This tier list is based on version 1.05, the current version of the game.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Tom Brady said:
i actually try to stay away from doing tiers these days but we decided to put something together for the newest patch just to give ppl a base feel for how the characters look since the latest patch.
Thanks Tom. I guess we should all realize this is still unofficial and shouldn't be blowing it up so much lol.

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
horrible just horrible... kung lao is still s tier imo and i still don't think that with his resets smoke should be S tier...

Liu kang, scorpion and kano should not be below sub zero plain and simple...Mileena s tier? watchu talkin bout willis?

hardwire

Noob
Mileena, Sektor and Freddy for sure.

Also, guys, Smoke being S tier is no surprise. Play ATL_REDD or Aris and then try and say that Smoke is anything less. Being unable to throw a projectile without getting shaken on reaction unless you're close enough to where Smoke can tag you with a 16f lunging overhead is a lot more devastating than you all give credit for.
16f lunging over head that leads to prity good damage at that

hardwire

Noob
horrible just horrible... kung lao is still s tier imo and i still don't think that with his resets smoke should be S tier...

Liu kang, scorpion and kano should not be below sub zero plain and simple...Mileena s tier? watchu talkin bout willis?

wait what

smoke lost his reset

smoke is s teir because he cant be shut down are you people geting this yet no resest no shut down!

Eh, still not totally sold on Smoke though he is very good at least. I just think there are enough characters who don't need projectiles and have better normals than Smoke that he isn't quite at the top. How's he going to deal with Cage/Jax/Sonya/et al?

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta

are we playing the same game?

Status
Not open for further replies.