What's new

The Newest Mortal Kombat (9) Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
This is the newest off-line tier list, according to REO, Tom Brady, and m2dave. Slight input was also provided by Perfect Legend. The characters are listed alphabetically within each tier. The letters used in the tier list represent the following match up wise.

S = 0-2 bad match ups
A = 3-4 bad match ups
B = 5-6 bad match ups
C = 7-9 bad match ups
D = 10-12 bad match ups
E = 13-15 bad match ups
F = 16+ bad match ups

S Cyrax, Kabal, Kitana, Mileena, Raiden
A Freddy Krueger, Jax, Kung Lao, Rain, Reptile, Sektor, Smoke, Sonya, Sub Zero
B Cyber Sub Zero, Ermac, Johnny Cage, Kano, Kenshi, Liu Kang, Quan Chi, Scorpion, Shang Tsung
C Baraka, Nightwolf, Noob, Sheeva
D Stryker
E Sindel
F Jade, Skarlet

Please comment and discuss. The tier list is based on off-line gameplay ONLY.

10/30/11 - corrected minor mistakes (thanks to Subzerosmokerai)

11/02/11 - Smoke moved down from S to A+ ; Cage moved down from A+ to A

11/04/11 - changed some of the format of the tier list ; added bad match up information below

11/13/11 - Ermac moved to B; Sindel moved to E; Mileena has no bad match ups

S Tier Characters (0-2 bad match ups)

Kabal: no bad match ups
Mileena: no bad match ups
Raiden: Reptile, Sonya
Cyrax: Kabal, Raiden
Kitana: Kenshi, Mileena

A Tier Characters (3-4 bad match ups)

Jax: Johnny Cage, Mileena, Raiden
Kung Lao: Johnny Cage, Kitana, Sonya
Rain: Kabal, Kitana, Sub Zero
Reptile: Liu Kang, Mileena, Sektor
Smoke: Jax, Kung Lao, Raiden
Sonya: Freddy, Kabal, Sub Zero

Freddy: Kung Lao, Mileena, Smoke, Raiden
Sektor: Kabal, Mileena, Raiden, Sub Zero
Sub Zero: Cyrax, Freddy, Kabal, Kung Lao

B Tier Characters (5-6 bad match ups)

Cyber Sub Zero: Jax, Kabal, Kitana, Liu Kang, Sub Zero
Kano: Freddy, Kabal, Mileena, Sonya, Sub Zero
Kenshi: Jax, Kabal, Kung Lao, Raiden, Reptile
Liu Kang: Freddy, Jax, Mileena, Noob, Raiden

Cage: Kabal, Kitana, Mileena, Reptile, Sonya, Sub Zero
Ermac: Freddy, Jax, Kabal, Noob, Raiden, Reptile
Quan Chi: Cyber Sub Zero, Freddy, Kabal, Mileena, Raiden, Smoke
Scorpion: Cyrax, Kabal, Kitana, Kung Lao, Raiden, Reptile
Shang Tsung: Cyber Sub Zero, Freddy, Kabal, Kitana, Noob, Raiden

C Tier Characters (7-9 bad match ups)

Baraka: Cage, Cyrax, Freddy, Kabal, Kitana, Liu Kang, Raiden
Noob: Cyrax, Freddy, Kabal, Kung Lao, Raiden, Reptile, Smoke

Nightwolf: Cyrax, Freddy, Jax, Kabal, Kitana, Liu Kang, Mileena, Raiden, Reptile
Sheeva: Cyber Sub Zero, Freddy, Kabal, Kano, Kitana, Kung Lao, Mileena, Noob, Raiden

D Tier Characters (10-12 bad match ups)

Stryker: Cage, Cyrax, Ermac, Freddy, Kabal, Kenshi, Kung Lao, Liu Kang, Noob, Raiden, Reptile, Smoke

E Tier Characters (13-15 bad match ups)

Sindel: Cage, Cyber Sub Zero, Cyrax, Ermac, Jade, Kabal, Kitana, Kung Lao, Liu Kang, Mileena, Noob, Raiden, Reptile, Sektor, Smoke

F Tier Characters (16+ bad match ups)

Skarlet: Cage, Cyber Sub Zero, Cyrax, Ermac, Kabal, Kitana, Kung Lao, Liu Kang, Mileena, Nightwolf, Noob, Raiden, Rain, Reptile, Scorpion, Sektor, Smoke

Jade: Cage, Cyber Sub Zero, Cyrax, Ermac, Freddy, Kabal, Kenshi, Jax, Kitana, Kung Lao, Liu Kang, Mileena, Reptile, Raiden, Sektor, Smoke, Sonya

Contact me about errors of any kind.

Thanks.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Question : You put Ermac at B tier (B=7-8 bad MU's) when Ermac has only 5 maybe 6 bad MU's. Why ?

hardwire

Noob
Smoke in S tier? That's surprising.
smoke is not this spam fighter every one thinks he is

he is the bottom of the s teir because of his speed but you can not and i mean can not zone him

and when he gets in a tight spot he (if you are compatant enough) has all the tools to get out or even fight back (smoke bomb is mean up close but its a catch 22)

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
My only doubt would be Stryker. Buffed up, I'd think him at least a B. But I'm biased.
Still, he's worlds improved post-patch, IMO. Love that Standing 4.

List seems rational to me :D. Yes indeed.

Poor Jade. She's the Meg Griffin of Mortal Kombat.

catch22

GOD LAO FTW!!!
smoke is not this spam fighter every one thinks he is

he is the bottom of the s teir because of his speed but you can not and i mean can not zone him

and when he gets in a tight spot he (if you are compatant enough) has all the tools to get out or even fight back (smoke bomb is mean up close but its a catch 22)

xD Thanks bro, much appreciate the kind words :)

Mickael

Noob
Maybe you should list the matchups you're referring to that are bad for the top 3 or so tiers for clarification.
Exactly this. Obviously there had to be a thought process as to what match ups were easiest and worse for every character... why not LIST them? write them down on a piece of paper. show it to us. The same way they've been doing it in fighting guides since Street Fighter II. "This will be easy" as poor Jade would like to think all alone on the bottom of the list.. so strange. Brady use to praise her as being one of the best characters that no one used.

We need a chart.

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
Cyrax and Mileena above Freddy? You undersell him far too much.

Why is NW that low? He has an answer for everything you just gotta work a little harder.

EDIT: You clearly haven't fought a good skarlett. She is amazing.

Urichinan

@Urichinan
The ONLY character I don't agree with is Liu Kang, I think he should be about 4-5 characters higher. Other then that, I think this list is completely accurate.

Panque

Random foreign guy
I don't see how REO agreed with Liu Kang being only A Tier, I think this might change really soon tho.
I can't believe Sub made it to A+ tier =D.

Nice way to present a Tier list. Only thing missing is a list of those bad matchups, but thats fine.

I don't agree with some stuff but I really think Im not in position to argue with those 4 guys.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Iustinus said:
Smoke in S tier? That's surprising.
I too am still skeptical about Smoke's tier placement, but REO and Tom insist on it.

metzos13 said:
Question : You put Ermac at B tier (B=7-8 bad MU's) when Ermac has only 5 maybe 6 bad MU's. Why?
REO, Tom, and I agreed that Ermac's bad match ups are vs Kabal, Kitana, Raiden, Freddy, Jax, Cage, and Reptile. And from what I understand, Noob is especially bad for Ermac.

shoshinsha said:
Nightwolf in low tier? I find that virtually inexplicable.
Perhaps he is higher, but the fact is that he gets zoned out easily by good low pokes. Whether Kitana is spamming d+1 or Mileena d+4, he cannot get close to initiate an offense, and jumping can be dangerous. Also, the 4 added frames of wake up invincibility has hurt his EX lightning traps. Looking at the S tier characters, he beats no one. Maybe he goes even with Smoke and Raiden, but that is a big maybe.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
CJKRattlehead said:
Cyrax and Mileena above Freddy? You undersell him far too much.
No, I do not. This may sound conceited, but I know more about the character than anybody else in this community. I used him vs Master D. and REO even when he was banned in tournaments. His ranking is accurate. Most of his bad match ups are due to his huge crouching hitbox. Even the worst strings in the game jail Freddy.

CJKRattlehead said:
EDIT: You clearly haven't fought a good skarlett. She is amazing.
She is horrible at the moment. Her main offensive and defensive tool has been slowed down by 10 frames. How can she be amazing? The only reason she is not down there with Jade is because of safe slide and EX dash.

Status
Not open for further replies.