The Newest Mortal Kombat (9) Tier List

Discussion in 'Gameplay Topics' started by General M2Dave, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General M2Dave

General M2Dave Interactables Master TYM|Premium Supporter

PSN:
    m2dave
    XBL:
    m2dave
    This is the newest off-line tier list, according to REO, Tom Brady, and m2dave. Slight input was also provided by Perfect Legend. The characters are listed alphabetically within each tier. The letters used in the tier list represent the following match up wise.

S = 0-2 bad match ups
    A = 3-4 bad match ups
    B = 5-6 bad match ups
    C = 7-9 bad match ups
    D = 10-12 bad match ups
    E = 13-15 bad match ups
    F = 16+ bad match ups

S Cyrax, Kabal, Kitana, Mileena, Raiden
    A Freddy Krueger, Jax, Kung Lao, Rain, Reptile, Sektor, Smoke, Sonya, Sub Zero
    B Cyber Sub Zero, Ermac, Johnny Cage, Kano, Kenshi, Liu Kang, Quan Chi, Scorpion, Shang Tsung
    C Baraka, Nightwolf, Noob, Sheeva
    D Stryker
    E Sindel
    F Jade, Skarlet

Please comment and discuss. The tier list is based on off-line gameplay ONLY.

10/30/11 - corrected minor mistakes (thanks to Subzerosmokerai)

11/02/11 - Smoke moved down from S to A+ ; Cage moved down from A+ to A

11/04/11 - changed some of the format of the tier list ; added bad match up information below

11/13/11 - Ermac moved to B; Sindel moved to E; Mileena has no bad match ups

Contact me about errors of any kind.

Thanks.
  2. VTM_KeepItSaucy

VTM_KeepItSaucy New Member

Not too sure about Liu Kang being below Sub-Zero but ok lol.
  3. Iustinus

Iustinus Active Member

XBL:
    Jstn119311
    Smoke in S tier? That's surprising.
  4. Metzos

Metzos Ultimate Destruction Staff Member Moderator TYM|Premium Supporter

Question : You put Ermac at B tier (B=7-8 bad MU's) when Ermac has only 5 maybe 6 bad MU's. Why ?
  5. hardwire

hardwire Member

smoke is not this spam fighter every one thinks he is

he is the bottom of the s teir because of his speed but you can not and i mean can not zone him

and when he gets in a tight spot he (if you are compatant enough) has all the tools to get out or even fight back (smoke bomb is mean up close but its a catch 22)
  6. KINGSHAZ33m

KINGSHAZ33m In the Shadows Moderator

whoaa, Noob and Ermac below Cyber Subz, am I seeing this right?
  7. RomeoBravoDelta

RomeoBravoDelta Well-Known Member

I know that there wouldn't be enough letters otherwise, but the inclusion of both S and A+ is really throwing off the curve for me.
  8. Angel Oleander

Angel Oleander Hellfire & DoomStroke. Moderator

My only doubt would be Stryker. Buffed up, I'd think him at least a B. But I'm biased.
    Still, he's worlds improved post-patch, IMO. Love that Standing 4.

List seems rational to me :D. Yes indeed.

Poor Jade. She's the Meg Griffin of Mortal Kombat.
  9. Kindred

Kindred Let Be Be Finale Of Seem

XBL:
    KLNDR3D
    ermac and sheeva in the same category.....o...k
  10. VTM_KeepItSaucy

VTM_KeepItSaucy New Member

Maybe you should list the matchups you're referring to that are bad for the top 3 or so tiers for clarification.
  11. Verstande

Verstande Well-Known Member

I still consider Kitana A tier, she has terrible matchups.
  12. catch22

catch22 GOD LAO FTW!!!

xD Thanks bro, much appreciate the kind words :)
  13. GGA 16 Bit

GGA 16 Bit Mash d+1~Cat Claws

what's a terrible Kitana matchup? I can only think of Kenshi.
  14. Mickael

Mickael Member

Exactly this. Obviously there had to be a thought process as to what match ups were easiest and worse for every character... why not LIST them? write them down on a piece of paper. show it to us. The same way they've been doing it in fighting guides since Street Fighter II. "This will be easy" as poor Jade would like to think all alone on the bottom of the list.. so strange. Brady use to praise her as being one of the best characters that no one used.

We need a chart.
  15. shoshinsha

shoshinsha Active Member

Nightwolf in low tier? I find that virtually inexplicable.
  16. GGA 16 Bit

GGA 16 Bit Mash d+1~Cat Claws

Believe it. He was always all hype.
  17. CJKRattlehead

CJKRattlehead Kick The Chair

Cyrax and Mileena above Freddy? You undersell him far too much.

Why is NW that low? He has an answer for everything you just gotta work a little harder.

EDIT: You clearly haven't fought a good skarlett. She is amazing.
  18. it'll be ok jade..
  19. Reedoms

Reedoms Resident Comic Buff

All my characters are in B tier.
    I'm okay with this though.
  20. Robotic

Robotic Keep Calm and Chive On

Wow quan. Nice.
  21. Urichinan

Urichinan Receive Thine Fortune

PSN:
    Uri_WoZ
    The ONLY character I don't agree with is Liu Kang, I think he should be about 4-5 characters higher. Other then that, I think this list is completely accurate.
  22. Panque

Panque Random foreign guy

I don't see how REO agreed with Liu Kang being only A Tier, I think this might change really soon tho.
    I can't believe Sub made it to A+ tier =D.

Nice way to present a Tier list. Only thing missing is a list of those bad matchups, but thats fine.

I don't agree with some stuff but I really think Im not in position to argue with those 4 guys.
  23. Past

Past Member

But... but I thought that "she has the tools", "she is unexplored", "Jade was gonna be dope" and "she is A tier". All while no one bothered to use her since day 1. What happened NRS/TYM?
  24. General M2Dave

PSN:
    m2dave
    XBL:
    m2dave
    I too am still skeptical about Smoke's tier placement, but REO and Tom insist on it.

REO, Tom, and I agreed that Ermac's bad match ups are vs Kabal, Kitana, Raiden, Freddy, Jax, Cage, and Reptile. And from what I understand, Noob is especially bad for Ermac.

Perhaps he is higher, but the fact is that he gets zoned out easily by good low pokes. Whether Kitana is spamming d+1 or Mileena d+4, he cannot get close to initiate an offense, and jumping can be dangerous. Also, the 4 added frames of wake up invincibility has hurt his EX lightning traps. Looking at the S tier characters, he beats no one. Maybe he goes even with Smoke and Raiden, but that is a big maybe.
  25. General M2Dave

PSN:
    m2dave
    XBL:
    m2dave
    No, I do not. This may sound conceited, but I know more about the character than anybody else in this community. I used him vs Master D. and REO even when he was banned in tournaments. His ranking is accurate. Most of his bad match ups are due to his huge crouching hitbox. Even the worst strings in the game jail Freddy.

She is horrible at the moment. Her main offensive and defensive tool has been slowed down by 10 frames. How can she be amazing? The only reason she is not down there with Jade is because of safe slide and EX dash.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.