The Future of Mortal Kombat

Discussion in 'Mortal Kombat 9 General Discussion' started by Perfect Legend, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Perfect Legend

Perfect Legend Well-Known Member

2. EGP Wonder_Chef

EGP Wonder_Chef Earth's Mightiest Mortal (Kombat Player)

3. DJ L Toro

DJ L Toro Well-Known Member

There's also still new players coming in. This game wont just live on, but it's potentially still growing.
    that being said saying we're going to get to street fighter numbers is a little over-optimistic.
  4. Rip Torn

Rip Torn Well-Known Member

5. gamemk

gamemk Well-Known Member

I'll say this again. MK's popularity has nothing to do with the fans or the players. Somehow people seem to forget that there was a time when MK
    was the #1 fighting game in America. It dominated Street Fighter in every arcade in this country, and probably did so globally except in Asia. Mortal Kombat's strength as a tournament worthy 2d fighting game will be solely determined by its developers, as has always been the case. They hold the future of the game in their hands. If they continue to build on the game's 2d success then I might be inclined to agree with your statement, PL, but if they have not learned from what was the transition from UMK3 to MK4 then I have no hope for this franchise as a tournament worthy game--because it will never die as a game. The story alone is too strong for that to ever happen.

That, in some ways, is a gift and a curse. Meaning, because the story is so strong, the game will always maintain a following which can move 1 million units, so there is less pressure to push the envelope with respect to depth. Conversely, because Street Fighter's story isn't as strong, they live and die on the strength of the game's strategic value and tournament viability. No one buys Street Fighter because they desperately care about the origins of Oro, or what fighting style Mel Masters will adopt when he grows up.
  6. AK Juggs

AK Juggs Lose without excuses Staff Member

Perfect Legend is picking up UMK3? Good choice, the game is amazing. Everyone follow in PL's footsteps and pick up UMK3.
    V1Gilante likes this.
  7. STRYKIE

STRYKIE Oh if only you knew...

PSN:
    STRYKIE
    The SF community (2D fighting game scene in general to an extent, doesn't really apply here though) just sees what they want to see. Remember how painfully dead the entire FGC was before SF4 was released? Yeah, me neither.
    haketh, GRieVeR_SKeiTH and aldazo like this.
  8. Eddy Wang

Eddy Wang Kia, Jataaka, Sareena for MKX Premium Supporter

PSN:
    eddywangmk
    XBL:
    EdsonWang
    True MK Player talk there PL.
  9. Son ov Timett

Son ov Timett As You Suffer, We Enjoy

Right on PL.
  10. B Pryme

B Pryme Active Member

Good shit carl, good to hear someone who has been a fighting game pro for a while and knows this business. Good luck on future tournaments!
  11. Pig Of The Hut

Pig Of The Hut Kryptonian General - Kneel Before Me

Great shit Carl

Everyone who is quitting MK = Free or mains jade/sheeva

Anyone who is saying MK is dead or dying = Free or mains Jade/Sheeva

TTT2 WILL NOT be huge due to legacy curve

You people need to wise up who think this and GTFO here with "oH dAWG wE bout to plays some TTT2 in this bitch, its #1 yo fuck mk " talk

So dumb and ignorant
  12. Linkuei82

Linkuei82 Live by the sword, Die by the sword

13. kronspik

kronspik Active Member

PSN:
    KronicAux
    As much as I love MK, it will not be as popular as SF any time soon. Too many high level fighting game players just don't like it for it to become that mainstream in the FGC.
  14. Rampage254

Rampage254 RedRaptor's Protégé Premium Supporter

I have a chance of leveling up to a mid level player? Yay!
    KIllaByte, aj1701, DJ L Toro and 3 others like this.
  15. matterovermind

matterovermind mindundermatter

Good post, thanks for blowing out my back bruh
  16. THTB

THTB #BlackRanger Staff Member

XBL:
    x THTB x
    I'm hella free dude.
  17. SatsuiYesHadou

SatsuiYesHadou Superman Prime

I told you PL is awesome :p
  18. Pig Of The Hut

Pig Of The Hut Kryptonian General - Kneel Before Me

You're hella good dude but LBSH this game is FAR FAR FAR from dead
  19. RedRaptor10

RedRaptor10 Rampage's Protégé Premium Supporter

Stfu your Stryker's S tier.
  20. DJ L Toro

DJ L Toro Well-Known Member

While we all know you're joking, stryker's got some crazy gimmicks that can get people who dont know the matchup (Or just dont know about one gimmick or another).
  21. MashPotatoTower

MashPotatoTower Well-Known Member

Man imagine that! MK a SF dominating fight games for all time
  22. sub_on_dubs

sub_on_dubs I specialize in liver freezing

This is already a great game. If they just fix some of the problems in this game, it will be the best game out there imo.
    aldazo likes this.
  23. YoungTrunks

YoungTrunks There's a storm coming

Wait do you dislike TTT2? Or do you dislike all the shit talkers from the Tekken community that say MK is shit? I feel MK is the more fun game but TTT2 is great too.
  24. Rampage254

Rampage254 RedRaptor's Protégé Premium Supporter

You don't think ny Stryker is S tier? :(
  25. RedRaptor10

RedRaptor10 Rampage's Protégé Premium Supporter

I do.
    Rampage254 likes this.