What's new

The Trainwreck that is PS3 stick/controller for PS4 Support

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Let me tell you why there is a huge fucking problem with this right now.

Right now, when you plug in a ps3 stick/controller, it has to be assigned to an account. To sign in to an account you need a ps4 pad. Player two will ALSO need to sign into an account (Guest1, no psn).

Scenario 1: Player 1 PS4 Pad, Player 2 PS3 Stick, no pad.

Player Two will control Player One. There is no way to have player two join as player two.

Scenario 2: Player 1 PS4 Pad, Player 2 PS3 Stick, Ps4 Pad.

Player Two will have to Sign In under Guest 1. This is so that they can sign in as player two.

What does this mean? BRING A PS4 CONTROLLER WITH YOU TO AN EVENT.

What will we have to do after the match? DESYNC YOUR PS4 CONTROLLER VIA THE DESYNC STATION*

This is what we will have to do if this doesn't get fixed. If that's not the case and this causes too much of a clusterfuck, banning legacy controllers might be the right way.

*A Desync station is a PS4 system off to the side where you can plug in your PS4 pad to sync up with that station. This station will not be used for tournaments and will not have any issues taking in controllers.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Its gotten to the point where I'm not even going to play on my PS3 stick and just use my DS4 for tournies.

In the process of removing the battery from one of my controllers currently because even playing at home is a Hassel.

When I bring my PS4 set-up for tournaments I also bring 2 PS4 controllers that stay synced to the system. Then I plug them up to a USB hub for power. This prevents most problems with desyncing unless somebody breaks the rules and brings a wireless controller with a battery still attached.

It kinda sucks, but having 2 controllers for each set-up is by far the easiest way to do it without accidentally leaving a controller synced at the moment.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
At Shang tsungs fight nights I had to wait upwards of 10-15 minutes for the other guy to figure out how to make his stick work on multiple occassions. It was awful.

The set-up I mentioned above will be used at NWM. When I tested it out it only took about a minute to hook up a fightstick, and that was only because I was the only one who knew how it worked.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
One thing no one seems to know is that on the PS3 stick you can press the PS button to switch profiles.

For example, P1 is a pad player, P2 is PS3 stick user (with his own pad to sync). If PS3 stick is plugged in it assigns itself to the first profile in use (P1 side). Press PS button on the stick and youll switch to P2 side.

Personally, I got a PS4 stick. I know if I continued using my PS3 stick at some point something would happen causing me a round/tournament loss, or I would accidentally interrupt someone elses match. Both are unacceptable to me. Especially the latter which is why I hate the PS4 pad for tournaments in general.

Jeremy KO

*insert kotal kahn gibberish here*
Link me a ps4 stick that is also compatible with a PC that is less than or equal to 150 dollars before I would even CONSIDER being for banning PS3 sticks

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
You can hold down the PS button on the PS4 controller to turn it off. I'm sure that's common knowledge but it could save time while switching out players and walking over to the desync station.

But yea it sucks

Turning off the controller does not desync it. If someone accidentally turns it on it'll still interrupt a match in progress. That's why I'm using dedicated controllers that can only be used with my specific console.

haketh

Noob
I made a thread about this earlier, we really need word from NRS about whether or not this will be fixed because it doesn't work like this in Skullgirls.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
We need to get some kind of acknowledgement that this is an issue from NRS and see if they have any desire to improve it, has there been any contact about it? We know this works, what do they need to do to fix it? Is it their profile system? #tournamentmodeplease

This is next gen people. The same has to be done with X1 and a chronus device for x360 sticks. They want you to buy new hardware. The cheapest solution is to spend 60$ on a controller to padhack the fightstick you want to use, there are plenty of people who will do it and youtube videos out there on how to do it. It's a shitty solution but there's not much else you can do.

I feel bad for those who will have to spend money to use the device they want but I think it's in TO's best interest to Ban PS3 sticks. A tournament running smoothly and without error is better than a single individual who has to find an adjustment for the device they are used to.

Jeremy KO

*insert kotal kahn gibberish here*
This is next gen people. We are just getting used to new hardware. We can work on solutions that don't end in just banning it completely like a bunch of Smash Brothers children. It might take some growing pains and a bit of effort, but we don't need to immediately ban PS3 sticks.

As far as we know, NRS could be working on the situation right now anyway.

aj1701

Noob
You can hold down the PS button on the PS4 controller to turn it off. I'm sure that's common knowledge but it could save time while switching out players and walking over to the desync station.

But yea it sucks
I'm pretty sure when my ps4 pad auto shutoff it immediately disconnected my stick too.

Monox1de

Noob
At Shang tsungs fight nights I had to wait upwards of 10-15 minutes for the other guy to figure out how to make his stick work on multiple occassions. It was awful.
Being on the other end of this wasn't any less awful. Shang Tsung fight night was my first tournament ever. Getting my legacy stick to work was nothing but a hassle. It never took any longer than 2-3 minutes for me to get it to work and be the correct player but for fuck's sake it was frustrating and left me feeling like a jackass.

I'm all for banning them after last weekend. The money saved does not out weigh the time wasted.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
I think your being a little unfair since this is a third party support and not 1st

we are lucky to have it and it was a big thing for NRS to add LabZeros driver imo
better in than out

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Being on the other end of this wasn't any less awful. Shang Tsung fight night was my first tournament ever. Getting my legacy stick to work was nothing but a hassle. It never took any longer than 2-3 minutes for me to get it to work and be the correct player but for fuck's sake it was frustrating and left me feeling like a jackass.

I'm all for banning them after last weekend. The money saved does not out weigh the time wasted.
Oh yeah for sure. Wasn't trying to place blame or anything. It just sucked lol. Glad I spent the money to get my hitbox tri-modded, but it was expensive so I couldn't hold that against anyone ever