What's new

General/Other - Quan Chi The Best Way to Balance Quan Chi (All Variations)

Goat-City

Banned
The rumored Quan Chi nerfs coming soon are all wrong. I've been thinking for a long time how to both balance and change him to be less of a guess heavy character and I think I understand exactly how to do it.

There are three things that are overpowered about Quan that can be nerfed without changing his play style or game plan drastically. Summoner and Sorcerer do slightly too much damage, he gets a meterless vortex in all 3 variations, and Summoner's hard-to-blockables. I'll outline my fixes for these problems individually in separate paragraphs.

To nerf his damage in Summoner and Sorcerer without nerfing Warlock's damage, which is pretty much perfect, he should lose 2% on f2122, 2% on b324, and 2% on the launching version of b2. This would decrease his damage on just about all his bnbs by 4%. To make it so this doesn't affect Warlock, his 21f3 string should get 17-20 frames of cancel advantage so you can link it with rune, portal scoop, or portal grab. This would give that string a use and his damage would stay roughly the same as it is now.

To remove the meterless vortex, which is usually done by combo'ing into trance and then using f21 for 16 frames of hit advantage for a free 50/50, it would require a couple changes. First of all, b2 would have to become a mid and f1 and f4 should become his new overheads. The reason for this is because b2 has to be able to combo into trance since it's not only a great overhead but also a great space control tool. F1 and f14's cancel advantage should then be decreased to only 20 so trance would not link afterwards, so in order to combo with it you would have to use the MB rune, which means it would now be a 1 bar vortex instead of a meterless one. As for f4, it should lose all of its cancel advantage and it should have its recovery frames decreased to about 22 or so; that way it would be a decent stagger string without it leading into a big combo on hit.

[Continued]
This gives his 2 currently useless universal strings very good uses, and it also makes him a bit less meter dependent because he will no longer have to use meter to make his overhead safe because f142 is only minus 10 on block with great push back. Also, this would reduce the damage off his overhead starter by 2% and there would be a gap between f1 and rune that the opponent could armor through, meaning if your opponent has a bar then there would no longer be a mix up after an overhead or a low into EX rune since the opponent could armor through both options. This would balance EX rune so it would not have to be any less plus on block and therefore Sorcerer would not lose his rune trap, which is extremely important to the variation for several reasons.

Lastly, Summoner's hard-to-blockables could be removed by increasing the amount of frames a consecutive overhead and low would hit mid in. If that wouldn't work, they could also make it so you cannot use a normal after inputting a bat command, or input a bat command while using a normal, until the bat hits or the normal recovers. Even without these two things, the fact that you would be forced to use EX rune to combo after the overhead would significantly balance the hard-to-blockable vortex by itself, especially with the damage nerf I also suggested for the Summoner variation.

Buffs
Warlock and Sorcerer both need just a couple minor buffs to go with these nerfs. Warlock needs better tracking on both portal grab and portal stab, mainly portal stab so it can be used as a consistent anti-airing armor move to compensate for his easily jumped over and whiff punished EX portal slam. Portal stab also needs to have slightly faster startup, about 16-18 frames instead of 22, because many times characters have time to jump, land and block before the portal stab connects.

As for Sorcerer, I made an entire thread many months back on how to make his meter drain spell useful, which you can read here - http://testyourmight.com/threads/how-to-make-the-meter-spell-black-magic-useful.57166/ - but to quickly summarize what he needs, the meter drain spell should by far be his fastest spell, about as fast as Summoner's bat summon, so he could combo with a JIP after using it during a trance, and he should be able to cancel his spells into the meter drain spell or vice versa the meter drain spell into one of the other 2 spells.

One More Thing
One of the rumored nerfs coming for Quan is the fact that his EX rune is going to be minus 1 on block, making his EX skull the go-to frame trap tool. As I partially explained above, this nerf would not only make no sense but it would be too much and would hurt Warlock and Sorcerer much more than Summoner. However, if you want to make the EX skull useful, you could give even more plus frames on block to the EX skull, like 30. This would allow him to use it to get a guaranteed 50/50 afterwards, unlike the EX rune which leaves a gap between both f1 and b2 that they can armor or backdash through. That's all, thanks for reading.

Last edited:

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Um, you can already jail both B2 and micro-run B3 after a blocked EX skull, the problem is that because of the startup and travelling frames, it doesn't jail after B2, nor keeps people in check as a zoning tool as well as rune. From the spacing you can hit someone with mid-rune, EX skull takes about 30 frames to reach, go figure.

Those changes are still going to affect Warlock's damage also. The 21 in Warlock is also different to the regular version of the string. Summoner's damage should already be well-neutered as long as the bat summon is hard coded in the final patch anyway.

Just leave Warlock changes to me, I'll have a thread up soon, just need to finish up recording footage.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
@Goat-City

I can't express how much I enjoyed reading this. Even things that made me say "Waaaait, a minute" eventually had me nodding in agreement. I'm speaking from Sorcerer perspective here. I agree with the meter drain spell change for sure. It should be usable. Done in the way you propose, it would only be able to take maybe half a bar from them anyway. Not broken at all.

I also really like the F12 as an overhead instead of B2. I like the balancing idea of F1 Rune being interruptible, while we could easily F12 and blow them up for that, I also like making the overhead something you can only combo with using MB Rune and not trance. And also something you can hit confirm to finish the string and make it safe! Unlike his current overhead option. Makes the vortex a little less dumb. I also love that it gives an excuse to use this awesome looking string!

BUT, by nerfing his vortex into something less crazy, he would absolutely need to keep the +14 on his current MB Rune. If we are gonna give them an ability to armor through ANY of our vortex options, we MUST be rewarded for them not escaping. I'm sure you agree 100%. These changes wouldn't effect Quan's general gameplay at all, at least speaking from a Sorcerer exclusive perspective. Maybe Dink and Ketchup wanna chime in here?

Goat-City

Banned
Um, you can already jail both B2 and micro-run B3 after a blocked EX skull, the problem is that because of the startup and travelling frames, it doesn't jail after B2, nor keeps people in check as a zoning tool as well as rune. From the spacing you can hit someone with mid-rune, EX skull takes about 30 frames to reach, go figure.

Those changes are still going to affect Warlock's damage also. The 21 in Warlock is also different to the regular version of the string. Summoner's damage should already be well-neutered as long as the bat summon is hard coded in the final patch anyway.

Just leave Warlock changes to me, I'll have a thread up soon, just need to finish up recording footage.
I don't know what the um is for, but I wrote that suggestion in the context of f1 becoming the new overhead starter. Even with b2, that's a pretty difficult timing for it to jail while the opponent could be option selecting armor. If it was plus 30 that would even be enough time to run in and grab probably, so that's my reasoning for that. There would still be a gap between a mix up into the EX skull, but you could do 14 or f212 EX skull into a guaranteed mix up.

You're actually right, those changes would decrease Warlock's damage by 2% instead of 4% for the other 2 variations. No big deal though, I can't really think of a way around that that would make sense. Hopefully they won't mess with Summoner's bat summon during a trance, that's definitely not the ideal solution to his damage.

Goat-City

Banned
@Goat-City

I can't express how much I enjoyed reading this. Even things that made me say "Waaaait, a minute" eventually had me nodding in agreement. I'm speaking from Sorcerer perspective here. I agree with the meter drain spell change for sure. It should be usable. Done in the way you propose, it would only be able to take maybe half a bar from them anyway. Not broken at all.

I also really like the F12 as an overhead instead of B2. I like the balancing idea of F1 Rune being interruptible, while we could easily F12 and blow them up for that, I also like making the overhead something you can only combo with using MB Rune and not trance. And also something you can hit confirm to finish the string and make it safe! Unlike his current overhead option. Makes the vortex a little less dumb. I also love that it gives an excuse to use this awesome looking string!

BUT, by nerfing his vortex into something less crazy, he would absolutely need to keep the +14 on his current MB Rune. If we are gonna give them an ability to armor through ANY of our vortex options, we MUST be rewarded for them not escaping. I'm sure you agree 100%. These changes wouldn't effect Quan's general gameplay at all, at least speaking from a Sorcerer exclusive perspective. Maybe Dink and Ketchup wanna chime in here?
I really appreciate that man. Even though I was confident in what I wrote, there's always that fear on this site that you're gonna get insulted for your opinions, so it's great to see you liked it! And yes I 100% agree that the EX rune should be no more and no less plus on block. I'd love to see what Ketchup thinks of these ideas.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I really appreciate that man. Even though I was confident in what I wrote, there's always that fear on this site that you're gonna get insulted for your opinions, so it's great to see you liked it! And yes I 100% agree that the EX rune should be no more and no less plus on block. I'd love to see what Ketchup thinks of these ideas.
Some people have outrage-syndrome and want to freak out at people immediately for saying anything different. Personally, I like your creativity and it's obvious that you really thought about it and wrote it out of love.

Goat-City

Banned
A couple more things I left out, but it'd be nice if d4 was sped up to like 10-12 frames instead of 15, and sky drop could get better tracking and better air priority, but these are luxury buffs. Also @PND_Ketchup @God Confirm

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
@Goat-City

Dink and Ketchup won't chime in with anything negative because there is nothing more than a tally being surmised by NRS by threads like these and anything negative from those in the know wouldn't bode well for Quan's future. They have guys at NRS that naturally like to do things their way, so only the tally really matters. Beyond that, they're not listening.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
for 21f3 into ender to juggle for Warlock, he'd have to change the start of his combo to do less damage anyway, so this wouldn't have the effect you think.

Other than that I'm not sure... honestly it looks like you might be nerfing Summoner harder than NRS is planning to lol I dunno I'm just speculating. But having a safe overhead stagger string if I read it correctly (that doesn't lead to combo), at the cost of B2 turning into a mid, would be excellent for Warlock. That would absolutely complete the character and possibly make him my number one main.

Dink and Ketchup won't chime in with anything negative because there is nothing more than a tally being surmised by NRS by threads like these and anything negative from those in the know wouldn't bode well for Quan's future. They have guys at NRS that naturally like to do things their way, so only the tally really matters. Beyond that, they're not listening.
you work for NRS? how do you know this shit?

Azmodeus

The harder I work, the luckier I get
I could definitely get behind these buffs. And in summoner, the bat throw already has that system where quan can't do anything until the bat is done attacking. I wouldn't mind hearing a few more "kill him!"s either! The thing i I like the most is the concept of having the b2 become a mid and the f1 becoming the OH, this completely negates the situations where quan's 50/50 only had one real option, like a max range jump in punch.

Goat-City

Banned
for 21f3 into ender to juggle for Warlock, he'd have to change the start of his combo to do less damage anyway, so this wouldn't have the effect you think.
I don't understand. His midscreen meterless bnb after this change would be f2122, 4 trance, JIP f2122, run 21f3 portal grab/portal scoop. This would do 2% less damage than he currently does with a 2% damage nerf on f2122, right?

God Confirm

OH wait hold on, basically you are making F1 into a hitconfirmable string to safely combo into the OH vortex, when before his OH combo into the vortex with B2 cost that same bar to be safe but was unhitconfirmable? That just seems more like a buff than anything especially where it counts, other than the fact that he can't combo meterless (he couldn't do it safely before anyway, and he'll be saving meter from everytime his B2xxEX-Rune would have been block anyway)

Sorry, but Summoner needs some serious nerfs. He's already #1 character, so it's a given that he needs toning down heavily. But add to the fact that Lao, Tanya, Jax, Cassie & Liu are getting heavily toned down and thats just the ones we know of? These suggestions are simply not enough for Summoner. As for the other two versions I won't comment (I'd certainly play Warlock more if he was like this tho)

It's a shame buff suggestions are so limited by CCP's general design of practically never changing universal strings and specials for individual variations. I mean this stuff looks like it could work hell improve the balance for Sorc and 'Lock, but it clearly isn't enough for Summoner.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
OH wait hold on, basically you are making F1 into a hitconfirmable string to safely combo into the OH vortex, when before his OH combo into the vortex with B2 cost that same bar to be safe but was unhitconfirmable? That just seems more like a buff than anything especially where it counts, other than the fact that he can't combo meterless (he couldn't do it safely before anyway, and he'll be saving meter from everytime his B2xxEX-Rune would have been block anyway)

Sorry, but Summoner needs some serious nerfs. He's already #1 character, so it's a given that he needs toning down heavily. But add to the fact that Lao, Tanya, Jax, Cassie & Liu are getting heavily toned down and thats just the ones we know of? These suggestions are simply not enough for Summoner. As for the other two versions I won't comment (I'd certainly play Warlock more if he was like this tho)

It's a shame buff suggestions are so limited by CCP's general design of practically never changing universal strings and specials for individual variations. I mean this stuff looks like it could work hell improve the balance for Sorc and 'Lock, but it clearly isn't enough for Summoner.
I agree with most of this logic, but what happened to Jax and Liu? From what iv seen they didn't get touched nearly as much as lao or especially cassie or quan. And did tanya get added to the beta or something or do u have a source? I'm not being a shithead im just looking for some insight.

God Confirm

I agree with most of this logic, but what happened to Jax and Liu? From what iv seen they didn't get touched nearly as much as lao or especially cassie or quan. And did tanya get added to the beta or something or do u have a source? I'm not being a shithead im just looking for some insight.
There is a big thread up for Liu's cancels they no longer build meter and I believe no longer jail (don't quote me on the specifics you can read about it in there). Jax lost 4% on all combo's and his overhead has like triple the frames to punish that it did before against most characters (although Wrestler did get a couple of extra Tick buttons, it's still an overall nerf). And nah I don't have a source on Tanya so I won't say anything else here. And sounds like you already know about Lao / Cass.

I don't understand. His midscreen meterless bnb after this change would be f2122, 4 trance, JIP f2122, run 21f3 portal grab/portal scoop. This would do 2% less damage than he currently does with a 2% damage nerf on f2122, right?
I mean there's no way of testing right now, but I'm almost 100% it won't juggle into the ender, that BnB it's already tight as hell on gravity to the point that I'm sure it won't string, also there is the fact that even if it did juggle it will do the exact same damage as it does currently. So I'm not sure what the point of it would be other than possibly a new opener or something. But yeah even without that change that would do nothing, we end up in the same place, it would leave him doing 2% less than he currently does because his combo's would be exactly the same. So I'm not sure what it is you are aiming for with that change but it wouldn't have whatever effect that you think it might, if you get me.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
There is a big thread up for Liu's cancels they no longer build meter and I believe no longer jail (don't quote me on the specifics you can read about it in there). Jax lost 4% on all combo's and his overhead has like triple the frames to punish that it did before against most characters (although Wrestler did get a couple of extra Tick buttons, it's still an overall nerf). And nah I don't have a source on Tanya so I won't say anything else here. And sounds like you already know about Lao / Cass.
Ok I read ya. I have a sneaking suspicion that Tanya will get fucked. I'm pretty sure (don't quote me on this either lol) that F213 still jails, not sure about the others like 112 and stuff like that tho. I did know about Jax's nerfs but he's still gonna be a monster, not really neutered like Cassie.

Goat-City

Banned

He only gets 12% damage from f142, so he doesn't have to spend meter but he gets almost the same exact damage as he would have if he had never gone for the vortex and just finished the combo, and obviously it doesn't reset into another vortex since it just sends them full screen, so I don't see what the difference is. If f1 gets blocked and the Summoner player decides not to spend meter and just finish the string, then he's minus 10 with no armor to protect himself. Not being able to unsafely do the overhead into trance is a significant nerf. I've stolen so many rounds from people as a Warlock/Sorcerer player by just being able to guess them to death in situations where I most likely would've lost otherwise, and Summoner players with their hard to blockables do that all the time since the opponent most likely won't block them. On top of that f1 only does 3% while b2 does 5%. I don't see how this could be seen as a buff. It's basically a slight nerf or just a simple design change at best.

Summoner isn't that much better than Sorcerer, I think you're overestimating how good he is. I've given him a 4% damage nerf so the most damage he can get midscreen off any starter is 32% instead of 36% and I've removed his hard to blockables. Summoner and Tempest before the beta were equally good because Summoner has no wake up. Compare that to what Tempest has gotten in the beta, a 3% damage nerf, a normalized j2, and he no longer gets anything guaranteed from EX orbital hat on block. I'd say Tempest is A+ now. Summoner losing his hard to blockables is very damaging, and a 4% damage nerf on top of that. I'd say that puts him into A+ tier as long as he has no armor. I can't even think of any other way to reasonably nerf him that would make sense. I think he'd be fine after this. Also there's a gap between f1 and rune just like there is between b32 rune, meaning as long as the opponent has a bar they can armor through it guaranteed as soon as the mix up gets blocked.

Last edited:

God Confirm

Ok I read ya. I have a sneaking suspicion that Tanya will get fucked. I'm pretty sure (don't quote me on this either lol) that F213 still jails, not sure about the others like 112 and stuff like that tho. I did know about Jax's nerfs but he's still gonna be a monster, not really neutered like Cassie.
I guess it's completely debatable how much each nerf will affect each character especially when it comes to Jax of whom I don't trust myself to be impartial, so I'm just going to wait and see when we are living in it rather than drawing a speculatory opinion on it all.

Lastly, Summoner's hard-to-blockables could be removed by increasing the amount of frames a consecutive overhead and low would hit mid in. If that wouldn't work, they could also make it so you cannot use a normal after inputting a bat command, or input a bat command while using a normal, until the bat hits or the normal recovers. Even without these two things, the fact that you would be forced to use EX rune to combo after the overhead would significantly balance the hard-to-blockable vortex by itself, especially with the damage nerf I also suggested for the Summoner variation.
I think this is also the wrong way to go about it, if you are suggesting a universal nerf. Takeda's hard to blockable is much fairer right, or at the very least deserves to be looked into individually for what changes it might need, rather than a blanket change without being sure.
He only gets 12% damage from f142, so he doesn't have to spend meter but he gets almost the same exact damage as he would have if he had never gone for the vortex and just finished the combo, and obviously it doesn't reset into another vortex since it just sends them full screen, so I don't see what the difference is. If f1 gets blocked and the Summoner player decides not to spend meter and just finish the string, then he's minus 10 with no armor to protect himself. Not being able to unsafely do the overhead into trance is a significant nerf. I've stolen so many rounds from people as a Warlock/Sorcerer player by just being able to guess them to death in situations where I most likely would've lost otherwise, and Summoner players with their hard to blockables do that all the time since the opponent most likely won't block them. On top of that f1 only does 3% while b2 does 5%. I don't see how this could be seen as a buff. It's basically a slight nerf or just a simple design change at best.
Now it's me who doesn't understand, I thought you said F14 would hitconfirm safely into a combo with EX-Rune, just like we all used to do with B2 EX-Rune safely, except now he doesn't waste the meter if your opponent guesses right. What am I missing here?

omooba

fear the moobs
The rumored Quan Chi nerfs coming soon are all wrong. I've been thinking for a long time how to both balance and change him to be less of a guess heavy character and I think I understand exactly how to do it.

There are three things that are overpowered about Quan that can be nerfed without changing his play style or game plan drastically. Summoner and Sorcerer do slightly too much damage, he gets a meterless vortex in all 3 variations, and Summoner's hard-to-blockables. I'll outline my fixes for these problems individually in separate paragraphs.

To nerf his damage in Summoner and Sorcerer without nerfing Warlock's damage, which is pretty much perfect, he should lose 2% on f2122, 2% on b321, and 2% on the launching version of b2. This would decrease his damage on just about all his bnbs by 4%. To make it so this doesn't affect Warlock, his 21f3 string should get 17-20 frames of cancel advantage so you can link it with rune, portal scoop, or portal grab. This would give that string a use and his damage would stay roughly the same as it is now.

To remove the meterless vortex, which is usually done by combo'ing into trance and then using f21 or f4 for 16 or 21 frames of hit advantage for a free 50/50, it would require a couple changes. First of all, b2 would have to become a mid and f1 and f4 should become his new overheads. The reason for this is because b2 has to be able to combo into trance since it's not only a great overhead but also a great space control tool. F1 and f14's cancel advantage should then be decreased to only 20 so trance would not link afterwards, so in order to combo with it you would have to use the MB rune, which means it would now be a 1 bar vortex instead of a meterless one. As for f4, it should lose all of its cancel advantage and it should have its recovery frames decreased to about 22 frames or so; that way it would be a decent stagger string without it leading into a big combo on hit.

[Continued]
This gives his 2 currently useless universal strings very good uses, and it also makes him a bit less meter dependent because he will no longer have to use meter to make his overhead safe because f142 is only minus 10 on block with great push back. Also, this would reduce the damage off his overhead starter by 2% and there would be a gap between f1 and rune that the opponent could armor through, meaning if your opponent has a bar then there would no longer be a mix up after an overhead or a low into EX rune since the opponent could armor through both options. This would balance EX rune so it would not have to be any less plus on block and therefore Sorcerer would not lose his rune trap, which is extremely important to the variation for several reasons.

Buffs
Warlock and Sorcerer both need just a couple minor buffs to go with these nerfs. Warlock needs better tracking on both portal grab and portal stab, mainly portal stab so it can be used as a consistent anti-airing armor move to compensate for his easily jumped over and whiff punished EX portal slam. Portal stab also needs to have slightly faster startup, about 16-18 frames instead of 22, because many times characters have time to jump, land and block before the portal stab connects.

As for Sorcerer, I made an entire thread many months back on how to make his meter drain spell useful, which you can read here - http://testyourmight.com/threads/how-to-make-the-meter-spell-black-magic-useful.57166/ - but to quickly summarize what he needs, the meter drain spell should by far be his fastest spell, about as fast as Summoner's bat summon, so he could combo with a JIP after using it during a trance, and he should be able to cancel his spells into the meter drain spell or vice versa the meter drain spell into one of the other 2 spells.

One More Thing
One of the rumored nerfs coming for Quan is the fact that his EX rune is going to be minus 1 on block, making his EX skull the go-to frame trap tool. As I partially explained above, this nerf would not only make no sense but it would be too much and would hurt Warlock and Sorcerer much more than Summoner. However, if you want to make the EX skull useful, you could give even more plus frames on block to the EX skull, like 30. This would allow him to use it to get a guaranteed 50/50 afterwards, unlike the EX rune which leaves a gap between both f1 and b2 that they can armor or backdash through. That's all, thanks for reading.
i rarely agree with anything anyone says about quan be it nerfs or buffs but this i mostly agree with, wonder what the quan mains think
@PND_Ketchup
@STB Shujinkydink

Goat-City

Banned
I mean there's no way of testing right now, but I'm almost 100% it won't juggle into the ender, that BnB it's already tight as hell on gravity to the point that I'm sure it won't string, also there is the fact that even if it did juggle it will do the exact same damage as it does currently. So I'm not sure what the point of it would be other than possibly a new opener or something. But yeah even without that change that would do nothing, we end up in the same place, it would leave him doing 2% less than he currently does because his combo's would be exactly the same. So I'm not sure what it is you are aiming for with that change but it wouldn't have whatever effect that you think it might, if you get me.
I've looked at it several times before posting this thread and I just checked it again to reassure myself that it would combo at least with portal scoop. You should look at it yourself, just do the full combo and imagine portal scoop immediately linking after 21f3. I'm pretty sure it would connect, and even if it didn't, they could scratch the launching b2 2% damage nerf I mentioned, so the combo would be f2122, 4 trance, launching b2, 21f3 portal scoop. That would for sure connect with the lesser gravity scaling and it would do the same damage, but I'm sure it would connect regardless.

The point of it is not to buff Warlock's damage, it's to keep it from being nerfed as much as the damage nerf the other 2 variations would take. So Sorcerer's damage would go down to 30% meterless midscreen while Warlock's damage would be at 33% or 34%, while Summoner's would be at 32%. Right now Summoner and Warlock do the same amount of damage and Warlock only does 2% more damage than Sorcerer, and that's if he goes for damage instead of meter build.

I think this is also the wrong way to go about it, if you are suggesting a universal nerf. Takeda's hard to blockable is much fairer right, or at the very least deserves to be looked into individually for what changes it might need, rather than a blanket change without being sure.
Hard to blockables shouldn't be in the game, most people agree with that. Takeda does not need that hard to blockable shit, and if he did then he should get buffs to compensate because it's simply a dumb feature that needs to go. Even so, I gave an alternative as well that would be Summoner specific because I'm not even sure if it's possible they could increase the window that overheads and lows hit mid together.[/QUOTE]

Now it's me who doesn't understand, I thought you said F14 would hitconfirm safely into a combo with EX-Rune, just like we all used to do with B2 EX-Rune safely, except now he doesn't waste the meter if your opponent guesses right. What am I missing here?
Yeah exactly, he wouldn't have to spend a bar to make the overhead safe, but to compensate he would lose damage on the overhead option, there would be an armorable gap between f1 and rune just like b32 rune so it's a free punish any time the Quan player decides to go for it when their opponent has a bar, and he no longer has the option to overhead into trance, so I don't see how it could be seen as a buff. It's just a slight nerf, or arguably a simple design change at best. Also f142 would leave him at -10 with push back which gives characters their turn and some can even punish it.

Last edited:

To nerf his damage in Summoner and Sorcerer without nerfing Warlock's damage, which is pretty much perfect, he should lose 2% on f2122, 2% on b321, and 2% on the launching version of b2. This would decrease his damage on just about all his bnbs by 4%. To make it so this doesn't affect Warlock, his 21f3 string should get 17-20 frames of cancel advantage so you can link it with rune, portal scoop, or portal grab. This would give that string a use and his damage would stay roughly the same as it is now.

To remove the meterless vortex, which is usually done by combo'ing into trance and then using f21 or f4 for 16 or 21 frames of hit advantage for a free 50/50, it would require a couple changes. First of all, b2 would have to become a mid and f1 and f4 should become his new overheads. The reason for this is because b2 has to be able to combo into trance since it's not only a great overhead but also a great space control tool. F1 and f14's cancel advantage should then be decreased to only 20 so trance would not link afterwards, so in order to combo with it you would have to use the MB rune, which means it would now be a 1 bar vortex instead of a meterless one. As for f4, it should lose all of its cancel advantage and it should have its recovery frames decreased to about 22 frames or so; that way it would be a decent stagger string without it leading into a big combo on hit.

[Continued]

Buffs

One More Thing
F4 isn't +21 on hit. I think current frame data is wrong about it, standing 4 definitely feels a lot more plus on hit (and it is +19). So I usually use that because after standing 4 on hit both b2 and micro run b3 jail. Plus it adds more damage to the combo.

Goat-City

Banned
F4 isn't +21 on hit. I think current frame data is wrong about it, standing 4 definitely feels a lot more plus on hit (and it is +19). So I usually use that because after standing 4 on hit both b2 and micro run b3 jail. Plus it adds more damage to the combo.
Oh ok thanks, I was wondering about that because I never saw anyone use it. I'll just edit it out then.