What's new

Tech - Sub-Zero Testing Sub-Zero's safety by Tom Brady

Sub-Zero has been a hot topic of discussion lately concerning how good players think he is and how quickly the general public like to "cry" for balance changes. Well, Tom Brady is sick of it as is the vast population of the Mortal Kombat Realms (the community) and he has put together a video to prove how unsafe Sub-Zero really is.

In this video, Tom demonstrates Sub-Zero's attacks against several characters to show the true punishment potential.

edited/promoted by STORMS*

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Absolutely.. jut not the broken character that "needs to be nerfed first"...
Cant watch it im at college will when i get back but i have good feeling its about how easy it is to punish Subs Ice Clone on reaction 118f recovery

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
watched the video but I forgot if you also tested with EX ice clone?

lordspinalkillerinstinct

He is not my main even though i have that name
Hey tom you can bait it as an sub zero player I know you keeping some tech behind here lol.
most of those strings you can safely ex ice clone and block and thats where the mind game comes in to play.
Cause its hard to know or see when sub zero is about to do a normal ice clone or the ex version.
so for example against kung lao his ex spin you can do forward 4,2 ex ice clone block or forward 4,2 ex ice clone backdash and then punish his ex spin with forward 4 ice bal in to a combo.
As an sub zero player it would not be smart to do that setup with sub and then ice clone if you dont have any meter but then again you can do forward 4,2 throw cause they think they can punish you but al of a sudden they get thrown and then there is another mind game in play 50/50.
sub is good no need to be nerfed tho.

https://youtu.be/cyU1VCPsWxY

watch
the whole 35 second video please

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Hey tom you can bait it as an sub zero player I know you keeping some tech behind here lol.
most of those strings you can safely ex ice clone and block and thats where the mind game comes in to play.
Cause its hard to know or see when sub zero is about to do a normal ice clone or the ex version.
so for example against kung lao his ex spin you can do forward 4,2 ex ice clone block or forward 4,2 ex ice clone backdash and then punish his ex spin with forward 4 ice bal in to a combo.
As an sub zero player it would not be smart to do that setup with sub and then ice clone if you dont have any meter but then again you can do forward 4,2 throw cause they think they can punish you but al of a sudden they get thrown and then there is another mind game in play 50/50.

watch
I'm surprised you think this isn't known.

lordspinalkillerinstinct

I'm surprised you think this isn't known.
I know its known for sub zero players I know you know bro but other people dont
tom brady is making a video saying this and that is unsafe but you can easily make it safe
he should have made a video and told the community he ice clone is safe if you ex it bla bla bla but he did not.
so i did it really quick.

ColdSpine

"I wore those colors before you"
It makes no damn sense to spend a meter on clone everytime i wanna make my two hit string safe :s

Anyways, does this low level of safety apply to unbreakable aslo, u know when ending strings with frozen aura? forgot the frame data thats why im askin :)

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I know its known for sub zero players I know you know bro but other people dont
tom brady is making a video saying this and that is unsafe but you can easily make it safe
he should have made a video and told the community he ice clone is safe if you ex it bla bla bla but he did not.
so i did it really quick.
He didn't because it's not really worth it.

Very rarely.

watch
  • Sub-Zero is meter dependent for much of what he does. I'd rather jut not do 4,2~ clone rather than using F4,2~ex clone instead. Having to spend meter as a bait is not good in this situation. If they do not take the bait, you're still screwed because you need the meter. better to not use F42 ~ clone as a staple in general. F42 is great, F42 ~ clone is risk.
  • You can use F4,2,1+3...but it reverses positions when it hits, which means that now you could go from having the opponent cornered to cornering yourself. Also, if that string is blocked, you are even more unsafe and the majority of the cast can punish you.
  • F42 is a GREAT string and there is a mind game. If my opponent has no meter, I clone cancel. If my opponent is low on meter, I will read if they are willing to use it to punish in this situation. If my opponents armor attack does little damage or not reverse positions, I'll clone cancel. If my opponents character cannot punish me for it, I'll then obviously use the clone cancel.
Just not worth it.

Last edited:

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Thanks Tom, just gave me an idea to try and punish it with Shaolin Jin. I am thinking I could reversal ex chakram into a stagger into a 50/50 :)

lordspinalkillerinstinct

• Sub-Zero is meter dependent for much of what he does. I'd rather jut not do 4,2~ clone rather than using F4,2~ex clone instead. Having to spend meter as a bait is not good in this situation. If they do not take the bait, you're still screwed because you need the meter. better to not use F42 ~ clone as a staple in general. F42 is great, F42 ~ clone is risk.
  • You can use F4,2,1+3...but it reverses positions when it hits, which means that now you could go from having the opponent cornered to cornering yourself. Also, if that string is blocked, you are even more unsafe and the majority of the cast can punish you.
  • F42 is a GREAT string and there is a mind game. If my opponent has no meter, I clone cancel. If my opponent is low on meter, I will read if they are willing to use it to punish in this situation. If my opponents armor attack does little damage or not reverse positions, I'll clone cancel. If my opponents character cannot punish me for it, I'll then obviously use the clone cancel.
Just not worth it.
So you got him cornered you put up a clone he he knows his options
He knows if he armors through it he can get a 25 to 32 percent combo of of it
You corner him once or twice the third time he he is gonna armor through cause he is stuck and trapped he has no choice to armor through mate
If the opponent is willing to ex why wouldn't I do the same thing.
Iam at work now I will get back to this tonight.

Dunno if this will work but I suppose if ya have em conditioned to sit and block what you could do, at least off B3, 3, is confirm into Ice Ball on hit or Clone toss on block. Clone toss is +2 on block I think, however I don't know if there's a big enough gap to armor between the string and the Clone toss.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
So basically what I learned is that I can punish Sub-zero's clone 3 times using full meter, and then I'm screwed for the other 83723823893883 he will do in the match.

Cool.

Also I should pick up Kung Lao to use his 4 frame spin to punish the strings.

Got it.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
@Tom Brady do f4 clone you said it yourself and didn't show the other side of things . No good sub will do f42 clone on Kenshi

Be real here, also what was that ghetto string u did vs Kenshi where he punished w rk? Who uses that?

Also who said he needed to be nerfed? No one I know. And who said Jaqui is bad? Sounds like you're talking to the wrong people

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
So basically what I learned is that I can punish Sub-zero's clone 3 times using full meter, and then I'm screwed for the other 83723823893883 he will do in the match.

Cool.
But by that first time, you'll be more out of the corner than you were before. At which point, it will be up to you to fully get yourself out of the corner (or further away from it).

Edited: not sure how my first quote got in there.

Last edited:

Mothmonsterman0

Mortal Kombat is NOT dead.
THANK GOD FOR TOM BRADY!

for real though, Tym is quite the show lmao. I love going though threads and reading "character a as no options. I've read the frame data and been in training for like 3 hours, bro. the game has been out for a week, but let me tell you. I know."

I'm still waiting for the tier list lmao