What's new

General/Other - Takeda Takeda General Discussion Thread

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Takeda brothers welcome. Since most of the previous discussion is pre-release, I'll be opening this thread tonight upon release, and closing the other thread.

I'll also be maintaining the Shinnok and Jason Vorhees General Discussion threads, so if you guys can bare with me and help when you can, it will be appreciated.

I'm going to keep this OP as neat and clean as possible, and I'll try my best to update it daily.

gpmoney

CORN | gpmoney. Saltier than a bag of chips.
I wana see how much damage ppl are getting. im getting 30-40 1-2 meters but I wana see whats optimal and some set ups

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Any idea what his maximum meterless damage is, and how to do it? I'm in the lab right now coming up with shit. I'll post anything worthwhile that I find.

meanestrage

Co-Founder of Kick Punch Block!
I have a 31% meterless using jump-in punch(28% without)

jump in punch, f12,2+4 cancel first hit with db3(tele) neutral jump 1, fwd jump+3 into air db1

Runks

Noob
Anyone else been messing with unblockable/tech roll setups? I have a couple setups that I've been messing around with that also can beat armored wake ups. (Only in Shirai ryu/lasher variations) and I have some ronin stuff.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Anyone else been messing with unblockable/tech roll setups? I have a couple setups that I've been messing around with that also can beat armored wake ups. (Only in Shirai ryu/lasher variations) and I have some ronin stuff.
Are you talking about the EX kunai and b2 at the same time?

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
After having played Takeda for 18 hours straight (11pm-5pm), I'm a little worried he's too vulnerable. He doesn't really have any great get-off-me moves or wakeups; his range doesn't make up for his slowness, as much faster characters have tools that put them on even ground when it comes to range, such as armored advancing specials and some characters' normals.

I'm hoping there are some shenanigans hiding in his kunai-delay, but as of right now I haven't really found anything other than a mediocre 35% combo, and even it doesn't rely on shenanigans as much as just hoping the opponent doesn't block low.

I'm going to keep grinding away with him, but right now I'm afraid he's not going to hold up in high-level play. He's just too slow and unsafe.

RM NoBrows

Supah hawt fiyah
So I've been messing around with his tele cancel and I think you can cancel it in certain strings to keep the combo going like f12 2+4. Has anyone found some good damage on the corner with him yet?

RM NoBrows

Supah hawt fiyah
So I've been messing around with his tele cancel and I think you can cancel it in certain strings to keep the combo going like f12 2+4, anf can cancel it at the end of a string someone blocks to keep pressuring them. Has anyone found some good damage in the corner with him yet?

Zoidberg747

After having played Takeda for 18 hours straight (11pm-5pm), I'm a little worried he's too vulnerable. He doesn't really have any great get-off-me moves or wakeups; his range doesn't make up for his slowness, as much faster characters have tools that put them on even ground when it comes to range, such as armored advancing specials and some characters' normals.

I'm hoping there are some shenanigans hiding in his kunai-delay, but as of right now I haven't really found anything other than a mediocre 35% combo, and even it doesn't rely on shenanigans as much as just hoping the opponent doesn't block low.

I'm going to keep grinding away with him, but right now I'm afraid he's not going to hold up in high-level play. He's just too slow and unsafe.
He has a DP in Ronin, and EX whip/fist flurry has armor so that should cover wakeups(remember most wakeups are pretty weak as of right now).

As far as his slowness goes, he would be kinda broken if he was too fast. Especially if you consider that all of his normals can be made safe with Kunai.

His EX Kunai has plenty of shenanigans. It basically makes your opponent try and move which is a great thing for a move to do. If they try and block it you can time it with a b2 to make it almost impossible to block both. You can also play some mindgames and run in for some pressure while holding it.

He has his weaknesses for sure but I think he will be fine in the long run. Only time will tell.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
I'm not sure about this character, started out great today and then it was like everyone adapted. It's so much harder to get off the ground as it is now and takeda has a bad wakeup game in shin. variation.
Has anyone mained Ronin and the whip one yet? Do they cover some of his slow, and wakeup weaknesses?

Zoidberg747

I'm not sure about this character, started out great today and then it was like everyone adapted. It's so much harder to get off the ground as it is now and takeda has a bad wakeup game in shin. variation.
Has anyone mained Ronin and the whip one yet? Do they cover some of his slow, and wakeup weaknesses?
Ronin has a dp, so thats a good wakeup.

Lasher has armor and whip flurry, which would be my go to wakeup.

If I were you guys I would seriously practice backdashing certain things on wakeup. In IGAU I played Raven(no real wakeups) and I often was able to backdash certain oki setups. Now that backdash is an actual wakeup(dont have to wait until you get off the ground) it should be more viable.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
Ronin has a dp, so thats a good wakeup.

Lasher has armor and whip flurry, which would be my go to wakeup.

If I were you guys I would seriously practice backdashing certain things on wakeup. In IGAU I played Raven(no real wakeups) and I often was able to backdash certain oki setups. Now that backdash is an actual wakeup(dont have to wait until you get off the ground) it should be more viable.
Thanks, I'll check these out. Erroneous blacks my main problem right now for wakeups. This character also suffers against command grabs it seems like. Looks like laser or Ronin might be necessary variations to learn

Montanx

Thats why they call this thing bloodsport, kid.
The thing is, all his stuff is off at least a bar of meter. He has no combo starters or popup specials without ex.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
Takeda has some nasty es like setups if you end combos with triple kunai and hold them long enough to make them explode right before b2 hits. They either take the low for about 20% Or take the overhead (full combo) for about 28%. They can block both though if they go low to high quickly

Zoidberg747

Takeda has some nasty es like setups if you end combos with triple kunai and hold them long enough to make them explode right before b2 hits. They either take the low for about 20% Or take the overhead (full combo) for about 28%. They can block both though if they go low to high quickly
I posted about this in the lasher thread. And when I did it I managed to make it where the 1st hit of the kunai was low, the b2 was overhead, and then the last hit of the kunai was low again. This would be a pretty sick low, OH , low mixup, but ill have to do further testing to see how reliable it is.

Runks

Noob
F1,2,2+4 EX kunai (hold) jump forward 1 (release) into combo. Is a pretty tight unblockable setup. If they tech roll you just hold the kunais longer and the last kunai will put him in block stun or force a backdash. If you force the block they have a tight window to armor the second jump in.

If you time in right you can beat out most armored reversals with jump in since they are absorbing the kunai.

Only around it is a delay wakeup.

If they quick get up the mixup/set up works a lot better as it's damn near impossible to block. Pure 50/50 because you either get the late jump attack that hits or you can empty jump.

I'll try to make a video soon of the options but alioune covered the basic one.