What's new

Streaming Advice for Low Upload Speeds (1mb pls help)

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
So I want to start streaming some games from my PC. The problem is my upload connection is pretty shitty.

So far, I've tried using Shadowplay streaming and have gotten some pretty bad results. I'm not expecting anything spectacular but I'm certain I can a better looking image. The settings for the footage I've captured was set to 1-2 Mbs bitrate at 480p running at 30fps: http://www.twitch.tv/theredtower/profile/past_broadcasts

I'm going to start fiddling with OBS and see what I can get out of that. Any tips to steer me in the right direction? Here are my PC specs:

Billy Dha Kid

Day 1 phenomenal grab immune
So I want to start streaming some games from my PC. The problem is my upload connection is pretty shitty.

So far, I've tried using Shadowplay streaming and have gotten some pretty bad results. I'm not expecting anything spectacular but I'm certain I can a better looking image. The settings for the footage I've captured was set to 1-2 Mbs bitrate at 480p running at 30fps: http://www.twitch.tv/theredtower/profile/past_broadcasts

I'm going to start fiddling with OBS and see what I can get out of that. Any tips to steer me in the right direction? Here are my PC specs:

You have amazing pc specs but your speed is some poo lol idk what to tell you

Reactions: 7L

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
good ol time warner cable. You're in a shitty situation for sure.

Try like 24 fps, 360p, 800 bitrate lol

Problem you face here. You wont be able to gain newer viewers if your quality is low. On steadier days it might effect your latency of the audience. Or how far they are behind in watching the stream. Also the big issue. If you plan on streaming online games. Don't. Don't don't don't. Cease and desist! Are those your wired speeds?

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
Problem you face here. You wont be able to gain newer viewers if your quality is low. On steadier days it might effect your latency of the audience.
I'm not expecting to ever get over 10 viewers at a time. I just want to stream a niche game to a very small audience. As for the latency, that's not really important for me since I won't really be looking at the chat, commentating, etc.

And sadly yes, those are my wired speeds.

I'm not expecting to ever get over 10 viewers at a time. I just want to stream a niche game to a very small audience. As for the latency, that's not really important for me since I won't really be looking at the chat, commentating, etc.

And sadly yes, those are my wired speeds.
Ill finkle and tinker with some OBS settings when I get home. See what I come up with

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
@Mikemetroid Im trying to stream on PC using Xsplit. But when I try to play MK on my PC the lag is ridiculous i cant even navigate the main menu. When i close xsplit it runs like a dream. Is this a PC issue? are my settings wrong? my upload speed is about 3mbs, download is 26

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
@Mikemetroid Im trying to stream on PC using Xsplit. But when I try to play MK on my PC the lag is ridiculous i cant even navigate the main menu. When i close xsplit it runs like a dream. Is this a PC issue? are my settings wrong? my upload speed is about 3mbs, download is 26
What are your PC specs? If MK9's settings are high, then it's likely your PC is barely able to play at that capacity.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Hey, I assume you're in SoCal from the fact that it says under 50 miles to the LA server.

Time Warner is upgrading a TON of internet in SoCal for free, something to do with a lawsuit or something. I don't know if you're eligible yet, but check here:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/topics/modem-swap.html

They just send you a new modem in the mail, and your speed goes up automatically.

I used to have the same speed that you have (I assume we have the same plan) now I get this speed on the same plan:

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Hey, I assume you're in SoCal from the fact that it says under 50 miles to the LA server.

Time Warner is upgrading a TON of internet in SoCal for free, something to do with a lawsuit or something. I don't know if you're eligible yet, but check here:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/topics/modem-swap.html

They just send you a new modem in the mail, and your speed goes up automatically.

I used to have the same speed that you have (I assume we have the same plan) now I get this speed on the same plan:

Man, until I saw this I was so happy on getting this 50/5 deal here in Greece for the equivalent of 65 dollars.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
What are your PC specs? If MK9's settings are high, then it's likely your PC is barely able to play at that capacity.
I have to look into that actually. I just got the thing and I've been a Mac user for years lol. I'll try taking the quality down and playing around tonight and see what happens

Biggs

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Turn down your bitrate, the stream will be lower quality but at least it will be smooth. Check out jaxels streaming guide, I think it has a section for streaming on low connections

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
PC Settings no doubt. You can try turning down the quality of your stream so that it takes less stress on your PC or the lower quality of the game.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Sometimes, it just won't fit there.

Gay jokes in a month old thread yay!

Your internet is not good enough to stream at acceptable quality. 480p, 750kbps MAX but even that will put a pretty significant strain on your connectivity in-game. You're better off to record your gameplay and upload to YouTube in full quality.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Your internet is not good enough to stream at acceptable quality. 480p, 750kbps MAX but even that will put a pretty significant strain on your connectivity in-game. You're better off to record your gameplay and upload to YouTube in full quality.
Record gameplay then stream the video playing fullscreen :DOGE