What's new

Sonya's viability

I don't know why more people haven't used Sonya at a high level of play. Good range on toetapping, second fastest sweep in the game I think, and a relatively high damage bread and butter with an option of rushing down after the combo is over. She holds her own as well against Kabal as the video below shows. How come she is ranked so low on the ultimate MK tier list? I would put her easily in the top seven.

http://ultimatemk.com/cguide.php?character=sonya&game=umk3arcade

She's ranked number 11 but I think she should be at least a few spots higher. Granted the leg grab is easily abused, and if blocked is very punishable, but A good player knows when the stick them in. I've been playing as her more and more, it's not like saturated high-level human smoke… almost like she should move up a few spots just on the fact there aren't many high-level Sonya players

Fair warning, turn the volume down if you're easily offended

Last edited:

mkholic

Noob
i thought everyone knows by now that her sweep is no different in terms of speed to kano's/jax's
also that video doesn't come close to showing what she's capable of... or kabal for that matter

i thought everyone knows by now that her sweep is no different in terms of speed to kano's/jax's
also that video doesn't come close to showing what she's capable of... or kabal for that matter
And don't they have the fastest sweeps in the game?

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
To get a little deeper into this, cause I can't remember what I wrote in the guides, so far as sweeps go, for start up and recovery, Jax, Kano and Sonya all share the same number of frames. Their ranges are (probably) different and how low they get during the sweeps. Jax seems to almost always be able to block a projectile even if his sweep is not timed exactly right to go under. I have not noticed this as much from Kano and Sonya. Depending which character has frame advantage in a round will determine when the sweep connects first, but iirc, all sweeps have the same start up frames (around 19/20 depend how you count), with these three it's the recovery that matters. I think Baraka might also be a sweeper in MKT.

- a little of my sonya examples from a tournament almost 5 years ago

Last edited:

mkholic

Noob
i'd say in addition, that because the start-ups are the same as shock's explained, those 3 above don't have much of an advantage, not in vanilla with its glitch jabs anyway
what truly pushes sonya up is her universal relauncher, only if mastered of course

arguing?nah, my intention was to clear the confusion, u're welcome
And don't they have the fastest sweeps in the game?
so 3 of them have 2nd fastest sweep? the wording seemed off to me
Kano and jax have the fastest right?
I thought sonyas was a little slower. Didn't know about jax. Just Kano
arguing?nah, my intention was to clear the confusion, u're welcome
right on. no jibbing about wording. got it.

maybe my dial up connection didn't load all of your posts or something and I just missed what you said. But I figured if 56k is good enough for mame it's good enough for TYM

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
All her 3 variations have a very stupid limitation set by NRS. CO's launcher can be used infinitely but it's very unsafe. Demo's launcher is plus on block but it can only be used 3 times, if she uses 3 in a combo then she must reload, it means no pressure on wake up and giving turn to opponents. Additionally if opponents use breaker at the 3rd grenade in a combo (yea it's not unbreakable like Kitana's fan), she's seriously fucked. SF's launcher has a time limit and it's....just lame and very hard to use. Yes she has the fastest 50/50 in the game but she is limited by NRS's stupid rules for no reasons

All her 3 variations have a very stupid limitation set by NRS. CO's launcher can be used infinitely but it's very unsafe. Demo's launcher is plus on block but it can only be used 3 times, if she uses 3 in a combo then she must reload, it means no pressure on wake up and giving turn to opponents. Additionally if opponents use breaker at the 3rd grenade in a combo (yea it's not unbreakable like Kitana's fan), she's seriously fucked. SF's launcher has a time limit and it's....just lame and very hard to use. Yes she has the fastest 50/50 in the game but she is limited by NRS's stupid rules for no reasons
We're talking about UMK3, not MKX

don't know why more people haven't used Sonya at a high level of play. Good range on toetapping, second fastest sweep in the game I think, and a relatively high damage bread and butter with an option of rushing down after the combo is over. She holds her own as well against Kabal as the video below shows. How come she is ranked so low on the ultimate MK tier list? I would put her easily in the top seven.
shhhhh ;)

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
What the Hell happened here? I'm about to "sweep" up this conversation.

Anyway, having the recovery advantage on sweeps is a huge deal when you can weave them into the gameplay. I even have a kara-sweep strategy and something @Konqrr calls "sweepercuts" - which I'd like for him to explain.

What the Hell happened here? I'm about to "sweep" up this conversation.

Anyway, having the recovery advantage on sweeps is a huge deal when you can weave them into the gameplay. I even have a kara-sweep strategy and something @Konqrr calls "sweepercuts" - which I'd like for him to explain.
I think my modem dialed the wrong number.

Anyway, are sweepercuts similar to toe jamming and upper cutting ?

mkholic

Noob
the "sweepercuts" strat sounds awesome, is this something u've developed after the SJ match against no doubt?
I think my modem dialed the wrong number.
i 2nd that, technology's fault entirely