What's new

General/Other - Sonya Blade Sonya Patch Changes

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
This is so bad, may as well play CO lol.

Before the patch I started ending my combos in F4 into DD1 and it is only punishable by tech roll, and guess what - not even once have I been punished by doing it. People at a high ladder rank (I'm top 30-15 on EU) don't know the MU and never punish it and neither do good players in praccing. 39% with OH and 41% with Low starter. This change does not change anything gameplay wise for me, but if I have to go to offline tournies I'll need to start labbing safe reloads but for now F4 is fine.
to be fair I would blow you up. You were doing a lot of unsafe reloads in EK especially in corner. This nerf is huge.

Reactions: jmt

jmt

Noob
This is so bad, may as well play CO lol.

Before the patch I started ending my combos in F4 into DD1 and it is only punishable by tech roll, and guess what - not even once have I been punished by doing it. People at a high ladder rank (I'm top 30-15 on EU) don't know the MU and never punish it and neither do good players in praccing. 39% with OH and 41% with Low starter. This change does not change anything gameplay wise for me, but if I have to go to offline tournies I'll need to start labbing safe reloads but for now F4 is fine.
Yea, I hear ya. Only thing I could find that was safe though.

Ayase Chihaya

Chihayafuru
to be fair I would blow you up. You were doing a lot of unsafe reloads in EK especially in corner. This nerf is huge.
You've not seen me play dude, EK was unplayable and yes I played bad and used 2134. I'm not claiming in the best or anything but you can't judge that shit.

PunkMafia83

PSN: YaRnToNpUnKMAFIA
I used to end combos with f4 and trust me, I got punished for it.
Honestly you should not base a strategy based on player ignorance.

Ayase Chihaya

Chihayafuru
I used to end combos with f4 and trust me, I got punished for it.
Honestly you should not base a strategy based on player ignorance.
That's true, if I notice a player catching on to techrolling I would do b14 in matches but I really can't remember even once an opponent techrolling on me. I'll see how I'll have to change my gameplay after the patch.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
You've not seen me play dude, EK was unplayable and yes I played bad and used 2134. I'm not claiming in the best or anything but you can't judge that shit.
Chill it's wasn't a blow up. Just saying that using unsafe reloads will bite you eventually. I don't know whether or not it was unplayable but it's online and you were saying you were getting away with it online. Just saying the b14 nerf is bad cause we have to gimp our combos.

Ayase Chihaya

Chihayafuru
Chill it's wasn't a blow up. Just saying that using unsafe reloads will bite you eventually. I don't know whether or not it was unplayable but it's online and you were saying you were getting away with it online. Just saying the b14 nerf is bad cause we have to gimp our combos.
Yes it was and you said it during your stream as well, for example that my combos are not optimal when I literally did the most damage possible (BNB) with a corner reload (42%) with 2134 ender. I'll gladly play you and see if you can "blow me up".

Also, every player in the EK chat said that it was really laggy in the KOTH so it was not only me. You could probably notice a lot of players dropping shit they shouldn't

However I do agree hoping on opponent ignorance is really bad, but it works so far. If our new safe combos are like 32%-ish we may as well start playing CO.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Yes it was and you said it during your stream as well, for example that my combos are not optimal when I literally did the most damage possible (BNB) with a corner reload (42%) with 2134 ender. I'll gladly play you and see if you can "blow me up".

Also, every player in the EK chat said that it was really laggy in the KOTH so it was not only me. You could probably notice a lot of players dropping shit they shouldn't

However I do agree hoping on opponent ignorance is really bad, but it works so far. If our new safe combos are like 32%-ish we may as well start playing CO.
I've done it vs MrAquary (although I got bodied like 100-1 or so). If I was wrong when commentating I'll hold that but 2134 ender just isn't safe. We don't need to play it out, cause there is no beef here. We're all here to learn and level up. Again, chill. I was just pointing out that someone (as bad as me) that has done some research can blow it up, any decent player, especially offline can do so. CO has a much harder time vs zoning and is just less versatile than Demo is my opinion however. EDIT: Meant to say offline not online, changed.

Last edited:

Ayase Chihaya

Chihayafuru
I've done it vs MrAquary (although I got bodied like 100-1 or so). If I was wrong when commentating I'll hold that but 2134 ender just isn't safe. We don't need to play it out, cause there is no beef here. We're all here to learn and level up. Again, chill. I was just pointing out that someone (as bad as me) that has done some research can blow it up, any decent player, especially online can do so. CO has a much harder time vs zoning and is just less versatile than Demo is my opinion however.
100-1? :D I think I only lost like 15-10 vs him (when I was worse than now), but yeah I see what you are getting at and sorry for getting salty!

I think she is still fine I have found safe reloads using roll on and roll off, you just have to think more in terms of how many grenades you have, because that will determine how u setup ur safe reload n how much damage u will net, will post combos later on when I get around to it, but I think most of all the b14 hurt special forces corner game more then anything.

Skedar70

Noob
I think the intention of the nerf is that now we are going to have to play mind games for our reloads in the corner(midscreen is still safe with F4 ender). You can do a combo into 213~DD1 and reload safe against a wakeup without tech roll(you will get punished if they tech roll) or you can do 2134 into DD1 and be safe against wakeups with tech roll(you will get punished if they don't tech roll). Your opponent is gonna have to guess or react (unlikely) to which ender you are going to use and do the appropriate wake up.

Ayase Chihaya

Chihayafuru
I found a 37% safe reload:
B33212, DF11, F4, DF11, NJP, F4, DF11, DD1
it does 34% with the low starter.

Biggest 2 grenade I found is 30%:
B33212, DF11, F2, 12, 4, DF11, DD1

This is tested vs reptile with and without tech roll

Last edited:

Ayase Chihaya

Chihayafuru
I found a 37% safe reload:
B33212, DF11, F4, DF11, NJP, F4, DF11, DD1
it does 34% with the low starter.

Biggest 2 grenade I found is 30%:
B33212, DF11, F2, 12, 4, DF11, DD1

This is tested vs reptile with and without tech roll
Actually found a bigger combo, 39%:
B33212, DF11, F4, 121, DF11, NJP, F4, DF11, DD1

Easier 38% (not as tight as 39%):
B33212, DF11, F2, 121, DF11, NJP, F4, DF11, DD1

These are really tight so may as well do the 37%

Dedlock

Noob
Finally tested my Covert Ops,

first in general the game feels more fluid but button inputs require a little more precision, the parries and even arc inputs feel like they require more precision than before, weird.

Tested the Xray and my normal xray combo damage has been reduced by 2% which is negligible but still unnecessary.

Air throw's hit box seems better but not really noticeable, damage upped by a measly 2%

B3,3,2 is smooth,

B1,4 feels kinda shaky, almost as if it stutters but it still does its job well.

ex parry combo damage is the same it hasn't been nerfed/scaled.

overall Sonya feels largely the same in covert ops. i really wish they spend some time enhancing her moves because for one and half pages worth of combos, people end up sticking to 2 of the safest. .

below are some suggestions for a future patch to spice up her play style and make her feel fresh.

Include Ex drop kick by transforming it into a diagonal 4/5 hit bicycle kick.

Leg Grab. at the moment is not an appropriate move for punishing or Wakeup, it could serve as a fantastic punisher by having its ex version pop up for a juggle.

both of the below combos need to to be enhanced to make them useful,

B3,3,u4 should end as an overhead with a little more launch time for follow up juggle.

B3,3, F4 should be cancelable currently its just taking space on the menu screen.

1,1,2 should be faster and safer on block, good for block block pressure and chip damage.

2,2,4, i love how this combo but its there just for flash it has no use, it should be faster with more stun on block.

Less recovery frames on Sonya's regular throw ( Kitana's throw got the royal treatment as of late)

Military Stance 2 should be a new move, canceling ms can be Block. Tanya, Kung Lao and others all have a choice of 4 options with their respective moves.

Military Stance Cartwheel faster reduce startup from 22 post ms to 15.

MS3 should not have to hit the opponent to activate, Sonya should be able to execute the move on whiff as well, this will make the move serve as a good anti air to catch NJP's and JIP/Kers.

whiffed air throws should result in a backwards Airflip instead of that awkward duck flapping in mid air.

I'd be very happy if any or all of these changes were made to Sonya in a future patch.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
  • Reloading during the last grenade is not safe.
  • Stop posting combos starting with B33212 it's not hit-confirmable because it only combos if you detonate the SG right away.
  • B332 on the second punch still whiffs
  • RIP Demo Sonya in the corner

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
I've been reloading in the corner using 2134 with no problems. You have to juggle them at the maximum height and reload as soon as they splat down. It's obviously more difficult than the old B14-reload, but it works.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I've been reloading in the corner using 2134 with no problems. You have to juggle them at the maximum height and reload as soon as they splat down. It's obviously more difficult than the old B14-reload, but it works.
Have you tried vs cassie?

DaZengie

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MortalKombatATX/
Yup. Works fine. B3323-sg, 4-sg, F4-sg, 2134 reload. Very consistent 40%. Able to block wake-up flip kick with roll on.
Try testing it with tech roll off. Because it's the corner, it can hit you since there's no space to roll.