What's new

SoCal's First MKX Tournament Results! Goro Night Fights 2.0 Results

Goro?

• Total voters

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Goro Night Fights 2.0

Without a good venue, SoCal has been at a bit of a tournament standstill. Fortunately, we were able to bring some of our top players together for one of our first real MKX tournaments! (Goro Night Fights 1.0 happened, but we didn't make a results thread. Youtube playlist for that is here. )

Featuring players like Hitbox Tyrant who we saw at Fatal 8, MF Slayer, and EGP Krayzie, we had considerably more top placers in the room than not! We got a good first look at some of the strong characters that our "Complete Meta™" is choosing (spoilers: it's Kung Jin), and a little hint at what we might see this weekend at Northwest Majors!

Highlights
  • Every game was 3/5 and streamed, so lots of matches.
  • 12 different characters used (I used 8.)
  • One of the first looks at Tyrant's Jax since Fatal 8.
  • @IKizzLE joined us for casuals before the tournament.
  • We had more Kung Jins this week than Sub Zeros last week.
  • There were approximately 3 permanent Main changes throughout the night.
  • Tyrant vs sleep is a 1-9 matchup, as we saw in the real Winners and Losers Finals.
  • It was 4/20, which is basically every day for Slayer and Nubs, so their play was unaffected.
Results

1. @MF SLAYER (Kung Jin, Kung Lao)
2. EGP Wonder_Chef (Kung Lao, Ferra Torr, Raiden, Scorpion, D'vorah, Reptile, Takeda, Kano)
3. @RDK|Tyrant (Jax)
4. @RM Nubcakes (Sub Zero, Kung Jin)
5. @WestCoast Jeff (Kano, Kung Jin)
5. @Awesomo (Johnny Cage)
7. @Krayzie (D'vorah)
7. @Airvidal (Kung Jin)

Bracket: http://challonge.com/gnf2

Videos

Grand Finals

Losers Finals

Youtube Playlist:

Last edited:

TeaBag

Jack Daniel's Supporter
Good stuff guys, looking forward to some more. I'm hoping to make it down there for a tourney soon.

RM Nubcakes

On the grind again
So many bad Sub Zero players together in a single place...
Well, this is a blow up...

Since I'm the only subzero present in this recent tourney, I'd like to ask what's so bad about my sub gameplay? where is there room for improvement, mr. Sub critic extraordinaire?

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
Well, this is a blow up...

Since I'm the only subzero present in this recent tourney, I'd like to ask what's so bad about my sub gameplay? where is there room for improvement, mr. Sub critic extraordinaire?
Sorry, man. Just being honest and giving you my opinion.

Dropping combos all day long, bad footsies, bad combo choices, bad hit confirming... I also don't get the abusive use of F3, 3, 3 without hit confirming it into nothing. EX Slide when you had the corner advantage... etc. I only spoke about Sub Zero because it's my main and I could analyse and criticize better, but being 100% honest, the overall level of the players there were really poor imo. Maybe because the game is new. I don't know.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™

Dropping combos all day long, bad footsies, bad combo choices, bad hit confirming... I also don't get the abusive use of F3, 3, 3 without hit confirming it into nothing. I only spoke about Sub Zero because it's my main and I could analyse and criticize better, but being 100% honest, the overall level of the players there were really poor imo. Maybe because the game is new. I don't know.
lol

RM Nubcakes

On the grind again

Dropping combos all day long, bad footsies, bad combo choices, bad hit confirming... I also don't get the abusive use of F3, 3, 3 without hit confirming it into nothing. EX Slide when you had the corner advantage... etc. I only spoke about Sub Zero because it's my main and I could analyse and criticize better, but being 100% honest, the overall level of the players there were really poor imo. Maybe because the game is new. I don't know.
Lol why the edit? This post came off so much more friendly at first :(

Hmm well, where to begin...
Dropped combos are what they are, unfortunately. Speaking on my own behalf, I'm continuously aiming for max-damage combos, so drops are inevitable at the moment. Imo, Sub's max-damage BNBs are somewhat difficult since they're run-heavy (midscreen combos), among other things.

I do find it funny though that you have the balls to talk condescendingly about "bad footsies" when you can't even understand why f33 is so good as a pressure and footsie tool in the neutral. First of all, the string covers great range on startup and advances forward a deceivingly good amount of space at a deceivingly good speed. Next, it's only -3 on block, allowing you the ability to block safely, backdash the opponent's pressure, or give a d1/standing 1 check if your opponent tries to pressure with a slow normal (which is usually a low or overhead of some sort). Lastly, what else do you hit-confirm f33 with other than EX ice ball?

Really though, why talk any sort or shit on a scene's gameplay for a week old game? If you're so ahead of the curve, why not record and share what you know? Why not win ESL or compete in offline tourneys? Until then, At least I can say that I'm trying.

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
Lol why the edit? This post came off so much more friendly at first :(

Hmm well, where to begin...
Dropped combos are what they are, unfortunately. Speaking on my own behalf, I'm continuously aiming for max-damage combos, so drops are inevitable at the moment. Imo, Sub's max-damage BNBs are somewhat difficult since they're run-heavy (midscreen combos), among other things.

I do find it funny though that you have the balls to talk condescendingly about "bad footsies" when you can't even understand why f33 is so good as a pressure and footsie tool in the neutral. First of all, the string covers great range on startup and advances forward a deceivingly good amount of space at a deceivingly good speed. Next, it's only -3 on block, allowing you the ability to block safely, backdash the opponent's pressure, or give a d1/standing 1 check if your opponent tries to pressure with a slow normal (which is usually a low or overhead of some sort). Lastly, what else do you hit-confirm f33 with other than EX ice ball?

Really though, why talk any sort or shit on a scene's gameplay for a week old game? If you're so ahead of the curve, why not record and share what you know? Why not win ESL or compete in offline tourneys? Until then, At least I can say that I'm trying.
I would aim for max eefficiencyif I were in your spot there. I mean, the "easy" version of Sub mid-screen BnB does 29% (the one Tom Brady and others are using) while the max damage one does like 31% and is a hell of a lot harder. Definitely don't worth it unless your precision is surgical and you don't drop as much.

About F3,3 I know it has a low in between and has a great range, man. The prob is that you weren't confirming this into nothing. You can also hit confirm the second hit with Ice Clone. I'm going to try this string out in a few matches to see how it goes. I asked you about this in particular because I haven't seem anyone using it.

Awkward Sloth

Lamest Harley, still better sloth than Jer
I can't believe those scrubs that voted for Goro!

Also this will be fun to watch. So many locals to go over its pretty rad.