What's new

So I want to like Destiny...

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
I've never purchased ANY first person shooter. I've never been good at them. Granted I do love Zombies mode on BO2 (I'm a beast at it) But besides that I suck at FPS. My type of shooters are 3rd person. In Max Payne 3 my crew The Ganja Outlaws were ranked the #1 200+ player crew in the world, and I was top 10. Peaking at #5. This was in 2012 when I put down MK9. So every where I am on the net I'm seeing some sort of promotion for this game Destiny. The hype is getting to me. I REALLY want to try it out, but I'm afraid I won't like it and I dont want to waste $59.00 On the flip side though I could love it right? So I'm asking you guys here... my fellow TYM folk to help sell me on it. It looks cool, and It's still fairly new so I wouldn't have that much catching up to do. What are some of the things you LOVE about the game? Also I'm kind of interested in this "Borderland" game. How do you guys feel about that one?

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
It offers both the option of running and gunning with friends alongside taking a more strategic approach.

Not a lot of content as of now, but DLC will come out for the game.

Multiplayer is super tacked on and is filled with some serious horseshit.

Game is polished though, but doesn't really give off the next gen feel (IMO)

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
It offers both the option of running and gunning with friends alongside taking a more strategic approach.

Not a lot of content as of now, but DLC will come out for the game.

Multiplayer is super tacked on and is filled with some serious horseshit.

Game is polished though, but doesn't really give off the next gen feel (IMO)
Horse shit meaning it's hard to get into as a newbie?

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
if you have a constant flow of friends to play with then you will have much more fun than by yiur self. The story and side missions get stale real quick. And mp is fun, but its better with friends and I only played team death match just cause you can't talk to your team.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I wouldn't rent. It took me about a month to start liking the game. It can be better, and I'd wait until later when more content is released.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
It sounds like you'd appreciate a more story-driven FPS. Destiny is fun, but given the objectives and lack of destinations overall it becomes increasingly repetitive.

I think you should try out Borderlands first. It's fun, and offers a lot more in terms of what you can do with your character.

Edit: If you haven't really played any FPS before do yourself the favor of picking up Bioshock.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Love the game. Raids are the most fun I've had in ages. Almost have a maxed level Warlock and working on a mis twemties Titan.

I bought Shadow of Mordor and The Evil Within to try and break away from it, but its too much fun.

Multiplayer is fun for what it is. They merfed auto rifles and shotguns but didn't do shit to fusion rifles which are game breakers in my opinion.

I have gotten my money out of the game and then some.

E

Eldriken

It sounds like you'd appreciate a more story-driven FPS. Destiny is fun, but given the objectives and lack of destinations overall it becomes increasingly repetitive.

I think you should try out Borderlands first. It's fun, and offers a lot more in terms of what you can do with your character.

Edit: If you haven't really played any FPS before do yourself the favor of picking up Bioshock.
Yesss, BioShock. The first one was SO amazing.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I wouldn't rent. It took me about a month to start liking the game. It can be better, and I'd wait until later when more content is released.
That's bad advice. You know whether or not you'll like the core mechanics of Destiny off a night or two of playing it. Time to reach lvl 20 in Destiny and complete story missions is only about 6-8 hrs. That's easily a rental. Hey but look, if you'd rather drop $60 on a game you're unsure over then by all means, knock your socks off. I'm just trying to save you some $$$.

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
That's bad advice. You know whether or not you'll like the core mechanics of Destiny off a night or two of playing it. Time to reach max level in Destiny and complete story missions is only about 6-8 hrs. That's easily a rental. Hey but look, if you'd rather drop $60 on a game you're unsure over then by all means, knock your socks off. I'm just trying to save you some $$$.
How is it bad advice to tell him not to rent it and to wait until there's more content? And no, you will not automatically know by a night or two of playing whether or not you'll like it. As I said, it took me a month to start liking the game. Let's not use opinions like they're facts, sound good?

trufenix

bye felicia
do NOT make Destiny your first fps (in a while). It assumes you both know and are okay with a number of pre-existing problems in the FPS genre. Instead, go with Bioshock, Bio Infinite, and old (pre-4) Halo, Metro 2033, Godmode, Wolfenstein, The Ship, any borderlands, Half Life (pick one), Portal even Call of Duty (pick one)

In fact, if your goal is to play with people, play Borderlands (pick one).

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
How is it bad advice to tell him not to rent it and to wait until there's more content? And no, you will not automatically know by a night or two of playing whether or not you'll like it. As I said, it took me a month to start liking the game. Let's not use opinions like they're facts, sound good?
Man you're doing exactly that. Your experience isn't everyone's. He's asking whether or not he wants to buy / play something now. I'm at least saying you can get a feel for the combat of Destiny, it's core gameplay, over a 6-8 hour period and then make an educated decision to buy. You're steering him away because for some reason you couldn't make up your mind until you played it for a month. Take your own advice, sound good?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Man you're doing exactly that. Your experience isn't everyone's. He's asking whether or not he wants to buy / play something now. I'm at least saying you can get a feel for the combat of Destiny, it's core gameplay, over a 6-8 hour period and then make an educated decision to buy. You're steering him away because for some reason you couldn't make up your mind until you played it for a month. Take your own advice, sound good?
How's that? I said I wouldn't rent it, because it took me awhile to start enjoying it. This experience has been stated before as well, so it isn't only just my own, that is besides the point however. If I had rented it, Destiny would be an after thought. The game takes awhile to get to the good parts, 6-8 hours isn't long enough to do anything but the bare bones story stuff, which is the weakest part of Destiny. Just because you're easily amused and fell in love with the game in under a day, that doesn't mean everyone is or will.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
How is it possible to reach max level or 30, beat the raid on normal/hard, nightfalls, strikes, get ALL raid gear in those six hours, shards, exotics, etc?

You're amazing if you can accomplish all that in 6-8 hours.

C-Sword

Noob
I usually don't like FPS, never played one more than 10 mins, but I was pretty hooked on Destiny, I only got it because it came with the white PS4. Just make sure you have people to play with.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
How's that? I said I wouldn't rent it, because it took me awhile to start enjoying it. This experience has been stated before as well, so it isn't only just my own, that is besides the point however. If I had rented it, Destiny would be an after thought. The game takes awhile to get to the good parts, 6-8 hours isn't long enough to do anything but the bare bones story stuff, which is the weakest part of Destiny. Just because you're easily amused and fell in love with the game in under a day, that doesn't mean everyone is or will.
I don't know why you feel compelled to toss snark my way about this and make some stupid ass passive aggressive comments / assumptions about me when all I'm trying to do is help @ThaShiveGeek with options to play a damn video game. You clearly don't see the LACK of objectivity in your own advice so, we're done here.

To the OP:
- I'd recommend checking out some YouTube gameplay / Quick looks / let's play/ of Destiny or rent before you buy. Most would agree it's a solid game but with some missed potential and blatant flaws.

- FPS really aren't that different of experiences than Third-person shooters so you're not as far removed as you might think.

- The games suggested are solid. BioShock (1 or Infinite) / FarCry 3 are all good single player suggestions with strong narratives. I'd also suggest the cult favorite Dishonored (though it plays more like a Stealth game than traditional FPS).

- Multiplayer considered I'd definitely suggest Borderlands 1 or 2 though 1 doesn't have as strong a story. The new BL (pre-seque) is reviewing well too though I haven't played it.

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!
Bro just wait for the Master Chief Collection, 100x better than Destiny.

Too bad Bungie can't make more than one good franchise :/

"the Hyperion Corporation would like to congratulate the Watson family on the birth of their newborn twins, and wishes them the best of luck in choosing which one to keep!"

Choose Borderlands Pre-Sequel. If you don't like it, you can at least be assured you will have enjoyed it more than Destiny.

Destiny is more of a "Borderlands-lite". Similar formula, with leveling up skills, and getting loot- except less skills, less classes, less loot, and every piece of loot you get is less unique.