What's new

...So do I suck at this game, or what?

bigmiracle

Praise Sheeva
Anybody else?

I really enjoy this community. I also enjoy Mortal Kombat, despite its flaws, and I like the rich world and characters it has.

I am also complete and utter GARBAGE at this game. Like, total bottom tier. Ass tier.

Anyone else like me? Enjoys the community, likes the game, but totally blows at it?

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
I love the game, enjoy the community, and am mediocre at the game. I can play Expert level with Sub-Zero only, but have to stay at Medium difficulty for pretty much everyone else.

Who do you primarily use?

Don't be too hard on yourself. As for me I don't think I'm ass tier but I kinda make noobish mistakes often, you just have to practice. The people on this website have really helped improve my game. Stick around and you'll see results.

bigmiracle

Praise Sheeva
Well, I use Sheeva lol

I dont mind being crap at this game, but I still enjoy it nonetheless. I've learned quite a few tips here, and the community is warm and friendly, which is a big plus.

I'm sure i'll become better as time goes on, it's kinda hard since online sucks and I don't have a lot of people around me to play.

I will say, however, that there's nothing like talking to other fighting game enthusiasts, especially when none are present in your own life's circumstances.

Here is my personal scale for this game that I measure myself by. I began my MK life at a solid 2. I classify myself now at about a high 4, some days a 5. I have played at 6 before. Feel free to use my scale to measure your own pitiful abilities :)

1. Pitiful and hopeless
2. Fucking shitty
3. Shitty
4. Piss poor
5. Poor
6. Barely competent
7. Competent
8. Good
9. Great
10. Awesome

webreg

Noob
Since this is my first fighting game since Super Street Fighter 2 nearly 17 years ago on my Super Nintendo you can probably imagine my playing level. But that's the great thing about this. There is a whole new world, filled with knowledge and social customs out there that I can explore and consume. It's like watching a BBC documentation of a primitive tribe in Papua New Guinea with their strange gods (Shock, Tom Brady, REO, ...), silly language (salty, footsies, fuzzy block, ...), phallic looking tools (game sticks) and weird dancing rituals (hype).

I win more than I loose online so I'm happy. Probably because of my tendency to break down stuff I like and spend time with. I spend the same amount of time reading/watching MK9 as I do playing it. I even own the Living Guide and regularly check the characters forums of my chosen fighters. I actually bought a PS3 for this game because I'm a PC gamer by heart.

So yeah, I'm not good at this game but I like it and I see progress small as it may be. That's a fun experience. While I have seen other fighting games in action, none of them interested me because they were either crazy (BlazBlue), twitchy (MvC3), visually unappealing (SF4) or downright boring (Tekken). I enjoy MK9 because it seems to be much more strategic than those games mainly because the execution part seems friendlier and the game has a pace that allows me to (out)think during a match instead of relying only on muscle memory and hours upon hours of practice. I play SZ and Kenshi online and Kitana offline.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
Here is my personal scale for this game that I measure myself by. I began my MK life at a solid 2. I classify myself now at about a high 4, some days a 5. I have played at 6 before. Feel free to use my scale to measure your own pitiful abilities :)

1. Pitiful and hopeless
2. Fucking shitty
3. Shitty
4. Piss poor
5. Poor
6. Barely competent
7. Competent
8. Good
9. Great
10. Awesome
Began at a 2. I want to say I am a 6 on bad days and a 7.5 on a good day.

1. Pitiful and hopeless
2. Fucking shitty
3. Shitty
4. Piss poor
5. Poor
6. Barely competent
7. Competent
8. Good
9. Great
10. Awesome

I was a 6. Now I'm an 8. Sometimes I'm back to a 6 and then 5 :(

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
I was horrid at this game in the beginning. Like fking terrible. I would do predictable moves and get stomped on. Regardless, I loved and still love this game.

Since then, I've stuck with a handful of characters (Mainly Noob), and have severely improved my game.
Slowly but surely, i mixed up overheads with lows, baited correctly, and even implemented portals into my strategy.
While I have greatly improved my Sub, Scorp, and Ermac, Noob is my gem.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Im not good at all, but i havent put much time into it. Its a good game, it just doesnt feel right when i play it.

I really really like watching it played at a high level, but as far as gameplay goes, MK9 isnt my fave. Gimme UMK3. :coffee:

bigmiracle

Praise Sheeva

1. Pitiful and hopeless
2. Fucking shitty
3. Shitty
4. Piss poor
5. Poor
6. Barely competent
7. Competent
8. Good
9. Great
10. Awesome
Pretty sure I hover around 5 and 4 lol

bigmiracle

Praise Sheeva
Im not good at all, but i havent put much time into it. Its a good game, it just doesnt feel right when i play it.

I really really like watching it played at a high level, but as far as gameplay goes, MK9 isnt my fave. Gimme UMK3. :coffee:
Same here, EVO felt like the fucking superbowl to me haha

I change wildly day to day. Some days I'm in control, for better/for worse.
Some days I just can't do jack shit right. Today was one of those days. I lost to one of "those" new players who gets keeps doing shit you just have trained yourself not to expect, and then gets so excited that they won against someone with so many games in their record that they t-bag or fatality and decline rematch.

I could blame it on online, but really, once I lose a round to one of these guys I start dropping combos because I'm so annoyed that it worked on me.

D_W

The Could-Have-Been King
I'm in the same boat as you. Honestly I might as well change my name to "Free W." haha. But I'm getting better with each day.

i would like to say ima inbetween six or seven on most days my biggest down falls are i tent to rush to much and forget were the block button is but even i losses i still have fun lol

webreg

Noob
I lost to one of "those" new players who gets keeps doing shit you just have trained yourself not to expect ...
As I main Sub (and always try to read my opponents) it feels to me, that I often loose but do ok against good players, do good and often win against average players but sometimes get f'king raped by really bad players, that do stuff that no one in their right mind would do. They mess up their wakeup moves and instead do a somewhat delayed xray after standing up and catch me with it because I was either expecting nothing, a proper wakeup move or a block. The do strings that leave them at a great disadvantage but look similar to the "proper strings" and I let my guard down too early or late. They do unsafe specials out of unsafe situations and catch me with it. Yeah, after the first game I absolutely destroy them because if you know what your up against it's no problem but loosing that first match hurts a lot.

King

Sig Maker
According to brotana's scale, I started at about a 2 (because I came from SF and thought this game was also about footsies and option selects among other things.) Right now, I'd say I'm anywhere between a 6 to an 8 depending on what kind of day I'm having. I still, however, love the game and continue to learn more about it daily either from experience or from this great community. I've also been a strong advocate of help those who help you, so I've been spreading the knowledge (and salt) with some character videos.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
I really enjoy this community. I also enjoy Mortal Kombat, despite its flaws, and I like the rich world and characters it has.

I am also complete and utter GARBAGE at this game. Like, total bottom tier. Ass tier.

Anyone else like me? Enjoys the community, likes the game, but totally blows at it?
No offense but the negativity in your post is what is weighing you down. It sounds like you just need to break out of your "box"... once you do that I really think you'll have something. ;)

bigmiracle

Praise Sheeva
No offense but the negativity in your post is what is weighing you down. It sounds like you just need to break out of your "box"... once you do that I really think you'll have something. ;)
hehe, thanks for the encouragement there Storms. It can be rough sometimes, almost discouraging, but like the i-ching says, perseverance pays. :china:

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang
I consider myself slightly above average, but since I dont play in offline tourneys, it doesnt really mean anything. I'd like to get involved in the offline world, but it takes too much money and effort that I am not willing to expend. I have fun playing this game online most of the time, but lately it's just been tiding me over till Deux Ex Human Revolution.

Abudabi

Noob
yeah I keep telling myself I'll get better but yeah more theory than match experience here. I figuring being enveloped in a wealth of knowledge of gamers for all walks should have some benefits.

i suck ASS. you havent seen bad until you face me. i'm fucking horrible. but still love to play the game.
Edit: i'm probably a 2 on brotanas scale.

Theme

Noob
I can play and beat EXPERT with

SEKTOR
RAIDEN
LIU KANG
ERMAC
SUBZERO
MILEENA
SMOKE

Everyone else I am at around Hard to Medium. Thing is though, when I play online, I am mediocre... mainly because I make a lot of rookie mistakes like wakeup attack regardless if I saw them block or not. Thats one of the most mistakes that cost me a lot of games. The whole wakeup situation, either for me, or my opponent. I would go up to their downed character and try to combo or do a special or grab, then they'd do a wakeup and punish me. I always fall for it, whether on accident or instincts. I do it without thinking sometimes. Sometimes I get flustered and just try to chase them down with jump kick, failing epically afterwards.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
Everyone else I am at around Hard to Medium. Thing is though, when I play online, I am mediocre... mainly because I make a lot of rookie mistakes like wakeup attack regardless if I saw them block or not. Thats one of the most mistakes that cost me a lot of games. The whole wakeup situation, either for me, or my opponent. I would go up to their downed character and try to combo or do a special or grab, then they'd do a wakeup and punish me. I always fall for it, whether on accident or instincts. I do it without thinking sometimes. Sometimes I get flustered and just try to chase them down with jump kick, failing epically afterwards.
Why not try a character that can stop wake ups? Like Mileena, Sektor, Rain, Cage, Lao and Subby to an extent?