What's new

Strategy - Scorpion Slips' Scorpion Assesement

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
So after months of playing Scorpion, pre-patch and post-patch, I feel like I can make a pretty accurate assessment of the character and his variations. Scorpion is a pretty good character. Mid tier, possibly high mid tier. I'll go over all the major categories that make a character and rank my boy Scorp.

Offense -
Ninjitsu: 3/5
Inferno: 3/5
Hellfire: 4/5
My definition of offense is how well can a character open up an opponent who is conditioned to block. Overhead/low, pressure, and strike/throw are what makes this category. In all variations, his best overhead that yields damage is f4. Not easy to see on reaction since the animation is pretty ambiguous, but at the highest possible level I believe it can be seen. Once it's established my opponent can see f4, then Scorp has to move on to his lower damaging options such as throw and f2 as his main overhead. 3/5 reflects Scorp's opponent playing their best defense. If f4 cannot be reacted yet by his opponent, I'd notch it up to an 4/5.

Defense -
Ninjitsu: 5/5
Inferno: 2/5
This is keep out footsies and anti-air essentially; how good Scorp is able to stop opponents from running/jumping in. Good counter-poke options I believe belong here too. d2 is quick and great for jumps coming down onto his head and cross-ups. Scorp's d4 is fast and recovers very good on whiff and sets up his offense for Ninjitus and Hellfire. Also low-profiles very well for jump ins and cross ups. Ninjitsu's swords go without saying that the threat of them being thrown out and getting launched scares people. His NJP in Ninjitsu is good too. Hellfire relies more on his normals but also has Flame Aura that has to be respected especially for characters that don't have great jump attacks as it can AA pretty good as well. Also has to be respected as an anti-counter-poke tool. Inferno's keep out is more high risk/high reward with low demon and overhead demon. Not bad but very risky.

Whiff Punishing -
Hellfire: 2/5
Ninjitu's b2 and f2 are beautiful whiff punishers. Some of the best in the game imo. On the flip side, Hellfire and Inferno's normals are pretty short, the best being his f3 which you better make sure is gonna hit cause it is very bad on whiff. He can use takedown also, but it's just as risky as f3 if you react too slow. Only thing stopping this category from being a 1 is his walkspeed/run are decent and his teleport is an adequate whiff punisher at times depending on the scenario.

Punishing -
Ninjitsu: 4/5
Inferno: 4/5
This is punishing moves on block. All variations for the most part punish for the same damage so I'll just go over why I think he's a good punisher. Being able to punish anything -9 into a combo into a standing reset means he carries big momentum when he punishes. Takedown and f3 are better than most of the cast for punishing moves that have pushback.

Jump attacks -
I think it goes without saying j3 is one of the best jump attacks in the game. Couple the fact he can combo off of it and you have every Scorpion scrub's dream of landing a jk~teleport combo. Ninjitus gets an added bonus with his NJP.

Armor -
Ninjitsu: 2/5
I listed all 3 variations even though they all have the same armor for consistency's sake, but outside of teleport being a good armored wake-up attack, his normal standing armor is on Jacqui's level. Takedown does a nice 14% but extremely bad on whiff and block.

Zoning -
Ninjitsu: 1/3
Inferno: 2/3
Hellfire: 2/3
Inferno's zoning is mainly effective for how good it anti-zones, forcing opponents to come in and deal with the demons. Trading with low demon is rarely in his opponent's favor. However, his zoning isn't too hard to get around once someone commits to getting through it, but it does force his opponent's to play his game at mid and 3/4's screen allowing him to opt if he wants to keep zoning or go in. Hellfire is a safer form of zoning but without the advantage of doubling as an anti-zoning tool. Hellfire is safer on whiff and he can use feints and fireball cancels to get people to jump and AA them. Like Inferno though, the zoning can be avoided pretty easily or at worst eat one hellfire and then run in to play footsies.

Anti-zoning -
Ninjitsu: 2/3
Inferno: 3/3
Scorp's teleport goes without saying that it is one of the best anti-zoning tools in the game. It's fast, it can be done in the air, it can be faked, and with meter it combos. Inferno gets the full 3/3 because of the added insult of low demon being a great anti-zoning tool as well.

Damage -
Hellfire: 3/3
All variations do around the same amount of damage. In the upper 20's and lower 30% meterless and spending a bar gets you to mid to upper 30%. Not bad, but nothing special. Hellfire gets very good damage off of an unpunishable low and f4 if he can get it to hit.

Overall
Ninjitsu - 29
Inferno - 24
Hellfire - 27

Ninjitsu I believe gets the nod at the highest possible level in the current meta of MKX. Hellfire has the best vortex and damage if he can get f4 to hit. And Inferno is solid but just doesn't bring much to the table besides a little better Anti-zoning.

Do you all agree? Feel free to argue, it's the best way to learn and gain perspective.

Attachments

Last edited:

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I agree for the most part. I've been playing more Ninjitsu than anything right now but I think hellfire is a better choice in certain matchups ups like reptile for instance. I really can't argue with anything that you've mentioned though.

The only thing I think I could say is that hellfire probably has better offense than both Ninjitsu and Inferno. Mostly due to being able to cancel normals and strings into flame aura which opens up FBC pressure. I think Scorpions mix up potential comes more from baiting counter pokes against flame aura and Ninjitsu than it does 50/50's. 114, d4, d3 and F3 are all great to cancel into flame aura or FBC. F4 I use very rarely but it does work outside of linear situations.

Last edited:

Slips

[
Just out of curiosity, why did you randomly switch to out of 3 for the last 3 categories?
Mainly cause zoning/anti-zoning aren't as relevant as the other categories. Damage isn't as variable as the other categories.

IROC

WP IROC
Always been ninj main even when it wasnt cool. I find the numbers very accurate except the "offense" and only by your deffinition to try to open up your oppenent. Ninjitsu lacks once f4 starts to become "reactable" and to try mixing it up with f2, but only in ninjitsu f2 hits mid instead of over head. So id knock that variation down 1 notch in that department. Everything else is spot on.

Matix218

Get over here!
So after months of playing Scorpion, pre-patch and post-patch, I feel like I can make a pretty accurate assessment of the character and his variations. Scorpion is a pretty good character. Mid tier, possibly high mid tier. I'll go over all the major categories that make a character and rank my boy Scorp.

Offense -
Ninjitsu: 3/5
Hellfire: 3/5
My definition of offense is how well can a character open up an opponent who is conditioned to block. Overhead/low, pressure, and strike/throw are what makes this category. In all variations, his best overhead that yields damage is f4. Not easy to see on reaction since the animation is pretty ambiguous, but at the highest possible level I believe it can be seen. Once it's established my opponent can see f4, then Scorp has to move on to his lower damaging options such as throw and f2 as his main overhead. 3/5 reflects Scorp's opponent playing their best defense. If f4 cannot be reacted yet by his opponent, I'd notch it up to an 4/5.

Defense -
This is keep out footsies and anti-air essentially; how good Scorp is able to stop opponents from running/jumping in. Good counter-poke options I believe belong here too. d2 is quick and great for jumps coming down onto his head and cross-ups. Scorp's d4 is fast and recovers very good on whiff and sets up his offense for Ninjitus and Hellfire. Also low-profiles very well for jump ins and cross ups. Ninjitsu's swords go without saying that the threat of them being thrown out and getting launched scares people. His NJP in Ninjitsu is good too. Hellfire relies more on his normals but also has Flame Aura that has to be respected especially for characters that don't have great jump attacks as it can AA pretty good as well. Also has to be respected as an anti-counter-poke tool. Inferno's keep out is more high risk/high reward with low demon and overhead demon. Not bad but very risky.

Whiff Punishing -
Ninjitu's b2 and f2 are beautiful whiff punishers. Some of the best in the game imo. On the flip side, Hellfire and Inferno's normals are pretty short, the best being his f3 which you better make sure is gonna hit cause it is very bad on whiff. He can use takedown also, but it's just as risky as f3 if you react too slow. Only thing stopping this category from being a 1 is his walkspeed/run are decent and his teleport is an adequate whiff punisher at times depending on the scenario.

Punishing -
Ninjitsu: 4/5
This is punishing moves on block. All variations for the most part punish for the same damage so I'll just go over why I think he's a good punisher. Being able to punish anything -9 into a combo into a standing reset means he carries big momentum when he punishes. Takedown and f3 are better than most of the cast for punishing moves that have pushback.

Jump attacks -
I think it goes without saying j3 is one of the best jump attacks in the game. Couple the fact he can combo off of it and you have every Scorpion scrub's dream of landing a jk~teleport combo. Ninjitus gets an added bonus with his NJP.

Armor -
Ninjitsu: 2/5
I listed all 3 variations even though they all have the same armor for consistency's sake, but outside of teleport being a good armored wake-up attack, his normal standing armor is on Jacqui's level. Takedown does a nice 14% but extremely bad on whiff and block.

Zoning -
Ninjitsu: 1/3
Inferno's zoning is mainly effective for how good it anti-zones, forcing opponents to come in and deal with the demons. Trading with low demon is rarely in his opponent's favor. However, his zoning isn't too hard to get around once someone commits to getting through it, but it does force his opponent's to play his game at mid and 3/4's screen allowing him to opt if he wants to keep zoning or go in. Hellfire is a safer form of zoning but without the advantage of doubling as an anti-zoning tool. Hellfire is safer on whiff and he can use feints and fireball cancels to get people to jump and AA them. Like Inferno though, the zoning can be avoided pretty easily or at worst eat one hellfire and then run in to play footsies.

Anti-zoning -
Inferno: 3/3
Scorp's teleport goes without saying that it is one of the best anti-zoning tools in the game. It's fast, it can be done in the air, it can be faked, and with meter it combos. Inferno gets the full 3/3 because of the added insult of low demon being a great anti-zoning tool as well.

Damage -
Hellfire: 3/3
All variations do around the same amount of damage. In the upper 20's and lower 30% meterless and spending a bar gets you to mid to upper 30%. Not bad, but nothing special. Hellfire gets very good damage off of an unpunishable low and f4 if he can get it to hit.

Overall
Ninjitsu - 29
Inferno - 25
Hellfire - 26

Ninjitsu I believe gets the nod at the highest possible level in the current meta of MKX. Hellfire has the best vortex and damage if he can get f4 to hit. And Inferno is solid but just doesn't bring much to the table besides a little better Anti-zoning.

Do you all agree? Feel free to argue, it's the best way to learn and gain perspective.
I agree with your character analysis. Ninjitsu is thevoverall strongest variation despite its lack of a zoning tool. The range of f2/b2, the armor breaking properties of f2 and b4, the solid and easy to execute damage, the better njp all give him the slight edge over hellfire's superior damage output IMO.

Heres the million dollar question. Do you think you can play scorpion only and win a tournament against top players playing top tier? I have noticed that we dint see ANY scorpions in tournament anymore (even MIT). I realize that you have been busy working and whatnot and I usually attend Philly majors but now that I have a kid that is not really panning out for me to go rep the yellow ninja either... I hope to see some more scorpion players entering majors because I am curious to see what a devoted scorpion main can do against top players in the current version of the game/meta.

Thanks for the character analysis slips

Slips

Always been ninj main even when it wasnt cool. I find the numbers very accurate except the "offense" and only by your deffinition to try to open up your oppenent. Ninjitsu lacks once f4 starts to become "reactable" and to try mixing it up with f2, but only in ninjitsu f2 hits mid instead of over head. So id knock that variation down 1 notch in that department. Everything else is spot on.
I don't see how Ninjitsu's offense can be considered the same as the other two variations. Like, how is Ninjitsu better at opening people up than Hellfire or Inferno?
What's the main tool Inferno and Hellfire have that Ninjitsu doesn't for opening people up? f+2? It's only 9% and he is forced to deal with his opponent's wakeup attack (if they have meter). A throw does 12% and Scorp's throw pushes opponent's away yet he has enough frames to go back in and put more pressure on if he wants to.

Once people see f4 a throw is more optimal than f2. More damage and option if you want to deal with their wake-up attack or not. Personally, I feel Scorp's overhead options need a buff. I wish f4 was faster in Inferno and Hellfire, but highly unlikely that would happen. Maybe f2 will do more damage and be safer in patches, but again, who knows.

Bottom line is Inferno and Hellfire are about overhead low 50/50 but the good overhead is too slow and the faster overhead nobody cares about. So you just end up throwing anyway, which falls in favor of just using Ninjitsu cause that's his main means of offense to begin with.

SEV

Noob
Any reason why you don't feel Hellfire's offense is better than his other variations? With the FBRC pressure it seems like it would be a bit better than the others because it has some form of pressure sustainability. I can potentially see how Ninjitsu could be on par with Hellfire due to the extra range/safeness on his buttons, but I don't know see how Inferno can keep up with the other two in terms of offense(minion cancels are just a bit too gimmicky).

Gito666

Ninjas > Special Forces
Great write-up, Slips! I could see ninjitsu being his best variation now, but i still feel more comfortable with Hellfire. The unblockable hellfire is great for catching people off guard, then getting them annoyed, leading to more jumping on their part, which scorp can obviously take advantage of with jump 3 and teleport.

Also, in the neutral while at full screen, i tend to fbc to backdash, just to build a bit of meter. Between that, hellfires, flame auras, and blockstrings, i feel like hellfire builds meter MUCH better than ninjitsu.

Just my opinions and playstyle!

I have noticed that we dint see ANY scorpions in tournament anymore (even MIT). I hope to see some more scorpion players entering majors because I am curious to see what a devoted scorpion main can do against top players in the current version of the game
I know I'm a nobody, but I'll be using scorpion exclusively at Summer Jam ;)

Ze Dingo

D4->F2 = unblockable. Ice Clone = unpunishable.
I agree 100%, Slips.

As soon as I saw that they castrated his FBC and just the slight buffs to Ninjutsu B2 and F2, I immediately dropped the other variations for Ninjutsu. Kind of bittersweet since Ninjutsu is the variation I wanted to play on release.

Cheers.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
I'd still pick Hellfire over Ninjutsu tbh. Ninjutsu probably just doesn't suit my playstyle because I've had a lot more success with Hellfire. Hellfire's more of my go-to whereas Ninjutsu is my MU-specific.

Hellfire's pressure is scarier because the opponent risks eating 21% off of a throw for a bar, increasing its burst damage. Over 50% for a bar if the opponent likes to block after a standing reset. F2 may only do 9% but it helps when conditioning people so they get opened up by his plus on block low, and Flame Aura is good for conditioning them not to poke. I'd say Hellfire's offense is a 4/5.

As for punishing, if you're only taking into account damage then Hellfire has the edge. B1 punishes for 36% meterless and 40% for a bar. He also gets slightly more damage off of things like 114 punishes due to JP2 F4 Flame Aura. 123 punishes for 36% in Hellfire as well (1% more than Ninjutsu but keeps them standing). He also gets a guaranteed 9% after a combo for a bar. I'd give it a 5/5 (or just one up from the others).

Last edited:

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
What's the main tool Inferno and Hellfire have that Ninjitsu doesn't for opening people up? f+2? It's only 9% and he is forced to deal with his opponent's wakeup attack (if they have meter). A throw does 12% and Scorp's throw pushes opponent's away yet he has enough frames to go back in and put more pressure on if he wants to.

Once people see f4 a throw is more optimal than f2. More damage and option if you want to deal with their wake-up attack or not. Personally, I feel Scorp's overhead options need a buff. I wish f4 was faster in Inferno and Hellfire, but highly unlikely that would happen. Maybe f2 will do more damage and be safer in patches, but again, who knows.

Bottom line is Inferno and Hellfire are about overhead low 50/50 but the good overhead is too slow and the faster overhead nobody cares about. So you just end up throwing anyway, which falls in favor of just using Ninjitsu cause that's his main means of offense to begin with.
I don't think throw can replace f2. f2 has more range and crushes lows while beating neutral ducking. It's also safe.

And what about hellfire (the special), fireballs and minions. Surely zoning has some value in the offensive category?

As a casual player I certainly play better with ninjutsu than any other varation. I feel the patch hurt inferno scorpion the most. Compared to mk9 scorpion who was a great punisher I don't mkx scorpion is that good of a punisher. My execution is not the greatest and I play mostly online, but other than whiff punishing with ninjutsu I am not really consistent with punishes on block. Is anyone else having this problem? I would like back 2 in ninjutsu to have faster start up, but not something that you could loop 4 times.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
I think scorpion doesn't need much to make Ninjitsu threatening.

If his normal spear could be enhanced to max out his damage better without first using the MB version, and having MB spear armoured and mid, that would sort the character out big time.

Takedown shouldn't have that weird knockdown animation, it should be more like any other low tackle or slide in the MKX, it should allow scorpion to do his thing once it hits.

214 (I believe it's 214?) shouldn't be negative, it should be 0 or -3 with pushback, allowing for the F2/B2 game to exist in an instant.

He has it there, but I feel one final buff session from NRS could really make him excellent, also Hell fire should be a move for Ninjitsu, (Just like Ice Blast in Grandmaster and Cryo) making the opponent more edgy, or feel the need to jump and maybe not turtle so much would play right into the variation.

He is so close to being perfect.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Ninjutsu is his best variation IMO.
Also Scorpion can trip guard with ex teleport, there isin't much to argue there, i agree with everything else.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
I'm glad to see this post. It's well thought out, and has good information.

Ninjutsu having the potential to be his best variation is not something most people were suggesting before, and if this gets more players thinking about it I'm all for it. I think this is the time in the game where people should really be thinking about every variation for characters and considering potential strengths they have that might have been overlooked before. Especially considering people wrote off buzzsaw KL after tempest was so prevalent, and we saw it as a counter variation to Kitana used in EVO grand finals. Similarly I've seen different Shinook players finding success going back to Imposter in some MUs where bone shaper can't get started.

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
Ninjitsu is very strong in my opinion due to it feeling like i fundamental fighting games character however, i feel its the hardest to have success with.

ArmageddonUMK

LongJohnCena
Discovered ninjutsu a few weeks ago and it revitalized my interest in mkx. f2 is a godlike footsie tool and that combined with his improved njp makes him terrifying to approach. throwing is super important in this variation IMO, since turtling is pretty effective against it.