What's new

General/Other - Shirai Ryu Shirai Ryu General Discussion Thread

ryublaze

Noob
I mean what else does he really need? He's mid tier, probably on the higher end & theirs nothing wrong with that. Plus Lasher has been getting some love & Ronin still needs more play before the jury is fully out.
I personally think Ronin and Lasher should have a bit more damage so they can compete with Shirai Ryu's damage output. It'd also be cool if Lasher's Whip Strike was an overhead, which would make him a mix-up machine. Not trying to ask for buffs cuz you're right, he's a mid tier character who doesn't really need it, but if we're trying to balance out the variations then I would do that.

EDIT: Ok maybe I'm wrong and Ronin and Lasher might be fine. Take this post with a grain of salt. Lasher having an overhead special would be kind of crazy actually since he could wake-up with a mix-up lol.

Last edited:

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
I personally think Ronin and Lasher should have a bit more damage so they can compete with Shirai Ryu's damage output. It'd also be cool if Lasher's Whip Strike was an overhead, which would make him a mix-up machine. Not trying to ask for buffs cuz you're right, he's a mid tier character who doesn't really need it, but if we're trying to balance out the variations then I would do that.

Yeah I second this, esp with ronin. Seems that if you gotta spend meter and do blade drop/ calls then the chunk of damage should match SR. I really wanna take ronin out of the lab more but right now SR out weighs him in my hands

StealthyMuffin

Earth's Mightiest Knucklehead
Making teleport a universal move would help a ton.

haketh

Noob
I'd rather not give Lasher more damage, I like it focusing less on damage & mix up so much & going for screen control. I can't comment to much on Ronin cuz I'm still super basic with it. I'm probably going all Lasher next local cuz I feel way more comfortable with it than my other characters right now & I think it's in a good palce.

StealthyMuffin

Why does this character even exist? His only practical use is as a mid-screen zoner... In a game where every character has a cancelable version of SF4 Makoto's foward dash. Why would you not just facefuck Takeda for the entire match?

StealthyMuffin

Do we need to speak up? Takeda is fucking garbage, and NRS isn't doing anything about it. I don't want to make a "BUFF TAKEDA" thread, so how do we get that gorgeous bubbly ass some buffs?

Maevar

Shirai-Ronin
Do we need to speak up? Takeda is fucking garbage, and NRS isn't doing anything about it. I don't want to make a "BUFF TAKEDA" thread, so how do we get that gorgeous bubbly ass some buffs?
I believe that yesterday HOME LEE did intentionally those ex-Kunai~Throws on multiple times as CEO is pretty big tourney and more people could see the so called "ex-Kunai Exploit" by @RedRaptor10 in his youtube channel. Even the commentators were asking why is he doing that, when it's not working properly.

I also love how no one is picking the character on a major tournament or if they do, it's clearly visible that none of them is doing good vs people who know the MU.

I'm not entirely sure if you were the one ( @StealthyMuffin ) who suggested Teleport (DB3) to be universal move, as it is indeed a very good idea. That will bring Roning & Lasher up to the SR level, though this won't solve the issue with the character.

Having a reliable armor move(s) and maybe one string that starts with semi-good frames might fix the character a bit. as D1 and a Jab with it's low range is kind of... I can't find myself using D1 instead of D3 as a poke...
And the other thing that bothers me is, Tornado Kick/Strike... this move... it's like dropping your pants, hoping for some magic to happen.

It's sad that we cannot do anything against some of the characters (looking at Jax and not only...) when we are cornered. They can pressure without worrying about us poking or armoring through as ex-Fist Flurry has such a slow startup that I often use the ex-Interactables just to get out of the corner as they are the best meter burn option our character has.... sadly, no?

Yeah... TLDR my point is that you are correct that the character needs some Game Designers' love and attention and we all know of his flaws, but none of us want's to start "Buff Takeda" thread as the people who are unfamiliar with the MU will start complaining. Also I doubt that NRS will see any of this.

Apologies for the long... reply / qq.

Stay strong! :)

st9rm

viennality.com
we do really have to work hard with takeda, no doubt :/
i will be representing takeda SR at the kombat cup finals in paris, the coming weekend and really hope to shine
looking at the other finalist (f0xy with lao, nivek with raiden etc), there are a lot of top tier chars, who are just overall better characters than takeda
wish me luck though, who knows what will happen :)

Malices' World

LOL!! @.@
YESSS exactly i mean after the updated i feel personally that they could have at the least gave him at least a couple of buffs for damage or maybe not even that, something that we can work with or just something that we can respect takeda and prove he could be top tier or at least middle

SOLEdier

IHideBehindIceClones
Yes, After playing Takeda since day 1 and seeing all the buffs other characters are getting; its getting frustrating seeing myself lose to a Kitana or Kenshi when pre patch it was at least a closer matchup.

Last edited:

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
I think of some of Takedas armored moves had a faster startup, he would have a much easier time against his bad mu's.
Another thing that bugs me is how single hitting low attacks sometimes blow up the armor on ex teleport (wakeup that is).
Sometimes I feel helpless in the wakeup game against jax. It's like I have no choice but to wakeup block and hope the jax player fucks up his pressure.

Maevar

Shirai-Ronin
I think of some of Takedas armored moves had a faster startup, he would have a much easier time against his bad mu's.
Another thing that bugs me is how single hitting low attacks sometimes blow up the armor on ex teleport (wakeup that is).
Sometimes I feel helpless in the wakeup game against jax. It's like I have no choice but to wakeup block and hope the jax player fucks up his pressure.
Regarding Jax, I've already mentioned this on a few occasions - use meter only for interactables... he blows everything else.
My sparring partner is playing Jax & Liu Kang (Flame Fist) he blows armor moves with both characters. Not to mention simple 1 hits due to slow armor moves and armor being active only for the start up...

Last edited:

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
Regarding Jax, I've already mentioned this on a few occasions - use meter only for interactables... he blows everything else.
My sparring partner is playing Jax & Liu Kang (Flame Fist) he blows armor moves with both characters. Not to mention simple 1 hits due to slow armor moves and armor being active only for the start up...
Wasn't asking for your professional opinion or advice lol. But thanks for the several .......'s

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
I never knew that other people had this problem haha. His recovery frames can be very deceptive.
Man like WAY to much ... Esp when I really cant afford it... It's soooo annoying.. this was one of the main reasons I was changing buttons and springs on my stick...that and accidental OS 's.. drives me nuts sometimes.