What's new

Breakthrough - Assassin Safe Sharpen/Ex Sharpen Setups, guaranteed pressure after ex sharpen setup and MORE

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
***Before I start, I am in NO way taking credit for the NJP into sharpen. I saw @Kitana Prime do it. I am however, taking credit for the damage into the setup and the stuff afterwards, since I haven't seen it talked about anywhere***

When MKXL launched, Assassin was given a very good buff to the startup to her sharpen. At first, we were figuring out how to combo into it and stuff. After figuring that out, it seems like sharpen was figured out. After further testing, I have found some damaging setups that lead into a safely executed sharpen directly in your opponents face.

You can do this anywhere on the screen, but I highly advise using it in the corner. I say the corner because that is where Kitana is extremely deadly, whether it be her damage, f22 being even better, being in perfect range for AAs, etc

In order to properly do it, you have to had already did a NJP in the combo, then do a delayed NJP on the way down from the jump. Since a second NJP causes a HKD, if it's delayed long enough, she gets enough advantage to safely activate sharpen. As you can see, I used Reptile as the dummy, since ex slide is one of the fastest wakeups in the game.

Since it's safe, and you're in the corner, this is a really effective tool to use. Most likely, the opponent is gonna freak out and try to escape the corner, resulting into wakeups, jumps, etc. Kitana can easily punish all that already with huge damage, and since sharpen is activated, it's going to do even more damage. If the opponent doesn't wakeup, this gives you the option to go for pressure. She does more chip because sharpen is active, throw does more damage, etc. A big mindgame gets played because of this, and its mainly in Kitana's favor.

"But what about wakeup grab?". That's where the parry comes in. Once you do the setup and the opponent reads that you're trying to bait their escape, they can grab to and put you in the corner. Parry puts an end to that, since it parries the throw for massive damage and she can easily escape the corner afterwards.

Now about Ex Sharpen

You're pretty much doing the same exact setup you do for regular sharpen, except since ex sharpen is much faster, you can add a bit more damage in your combo and don't have to do a delayed NJP. But it gets even better...

SHE CAN STUFF ANY METERLESS WAKEUP IN THE GAME AFTER THIS SETUP. In the video, I tested against opponents who have very quick or annoying meterless wakeups. Whether it be a 6f move, moves that are quick and low profile most things, teleport and parries, she stuffs it. Because of this, if the opponent doesn't have meter to wake up, they must respect the f112, and since sharpen is active, it does more chip. F112 is also safe on block, so trying to attack Kitana afterwards could be bad, especially if sharpen is active.

All in all, I feel like this a very good tactic that should be used and abused. A safe damage boosting move that pretty much guarantees oki in the corner is a strong tool in a game like this. I believe this will make Assassin a stronger variation and her best variation overall.

Espio

Kokomo
This is great stuff Khaotik, but alt color Assassin or bust. Assassin is just a very well rounded variation now, it's insanely awesome how well it plays MKX while still retaining the zoning and fun meta Kitana has.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
he's right there not, you can techroll after both njp/njk after a njp has already hit
seen a few people say they were
You can't tech roll right away tho like you can after a regular knockdown. It still has the splat animation. Also, tech rolling during this setup puts you at an even worse disadvantage than you already are if you just stood up

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
You can't tech roll right away tho like you can after a regular knockdown. It still has the splat animation. Also, tech rolling during this setup puts you at an even worse disadvantage than you already are if you just stood up
regardless of the setup was just confirming was elite thought. double njp's are not a HKD.
ye theres a good few knockdowns in game that give you more advantage when they techroll, its good tech roll doesnt effect the setup though :)

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
Thank you @xKhaoTik for sharing this and to @Kitana Prime for the initial discovery. Going to start putting this into practice. This absolutely decimates in the corner!

regardless of the setup was just confirming was elite thought. double njp's are not a HKD.
ye theres a good few knockdowns in game that give you more advantage when they techroll, its good tech roll doesnt effect the setup though :)
What about njk's?

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
I'm trying man lol. I honestly don't think she's bottom 10 like people say she is
People say that because they are still in the mindset you need 50/50's and insane pressure in order to win. That's why we have at least one random a month calling for F2 or Assassin Strike to be made into an overhead. :rolleyes: