What's new

Run/Run Cancel Discussion 9/1/2015

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
Hey guys, just wanted to discuss what's going on with run cancels/running in combos in general after this patch.

I was thinking maybe it's possible that run startup time changed a bit. I noticed this after the patch when I picked Cassie and started dropping 212 after a starter (which is something I always hit). After a couple minutes I adjusted but it still seemed inconsistent. Moving to predator, I dropped every since RC in HQT although I was practicing them not 30 minutes before the patch.

It's possible this is just a general gameplay change, or not intentional at all (could something have possibly been messed up when altering Tanya TP cancel).

Thoughts?

Paulo's Response:

this is being caused by hotfix data on the live servers which are intentionally causing you to have to release block before dashing out. relax it will be fixed

Last edited:
Hey guys, just wanted to discuss what's going on with run cancels/running in combos in general after this patch.

I was thinking maybe it's possible that run startup time changed a bit. I noticed this after the patch when I picked Cassie and started dropping 212 after a starter (which is something I always hit). After a couple minutes I adjusted but it still seemed inconsistent. Moving to predator, I dropped every since RC in HQT although I was practicing them not 30 minutes before the patch.

It's possible this is just a general gameplay change, or not intentional at all (could something have possibly been messed up when altering Tanya TP cancel).

Thoughts?
I think it has to do with adjusting Liu's RCs or Option Selects being removed

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Sadly I think they probably tried to patch too much in this update and it seems like it could end up really hurting the game. I don't like changing fundamental parts about the game like the run mechanic 5 months after release. This is a huge deal to me.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Looks at the moment that everyone has to charge their run cancel move for extra frames as well, and some leniency on the cancel window has been taken away. Now you have to be tighter going from Shadowkick>ff to cancel the SK and then tighter with ff+block to get the run, because you drop frames dashing.

So.. huge unintended universal change to fundamental mechanics, whether intentional or not, discovered almost immediately but missed during QA / testing (again) is what I'm hearing?

I like most of the changes they made... but some of the stuff they just glanced over during the stream where they were like "yeah not that big of a deal" when what they just said is a HUGE deal... like Mileena's B12 being plus on block... ... it just makes me shrug like.. wtf? that's not a big deal?

Again, I'm all for most of this stuff. Sub Zero looks pretty bad ass now.. But ALL of this... Every single last change made.. should take a back seat to fixing Xbox One's online. The fact that it was ignored AGAIN during a gigantic game change just flat out pisses me off. No other company in the industry would allow that to be a problem for as long as it's been one.

Let's not jump to conclusions.
Fair enough. I would sort of expect a change that big when it impacts every single run cancel would receive at least a couple seconds of time during the stream though. But again, with those guys... who knows.

trufenix

bye felicia
Every single last change made.. should take a back seat to fixing Xbox One's online. The fact that it was ignored AGAIN during a gigantic game change just flat out pisses me off. No other company in the industry would allow that to be a problem for as long as it's been one.
So Paolo and Steve and the rest of the designers should all just go home and wait for the call that xbox has been fixed before doing their jobs anymore? Or should they go back to college and get network engineering certs?

this is just like when they fucked with dvorahs cancels, they have to adjust the frames again cuz im not gonna learn how to cancel with alist again , or with jax .

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Jacqui's run cancels in high tech are much harder now. She has to hold for like twice the time she did before and the window is very tiny.

It'a really screwed her up. If this is intentional, then high tech is still shit. She just lost whatever semblance of block pressure she had pre-patch.

So Paolo and Steve and the rest of the designers should all just go home and wait for the call that xbox has been fixed before doing their jobs anymore? Or should they go back to college and get network engineering certs?
lol wtf, are you saying the netcode being ass isn't nrs fault? ^:)

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Think I found out the problem, you have to let go off block now when you use to be hold it

Think this over the option select nerf and to stop being to option select reversal
That sounds like a likely thing. They changed how the game reads inputs so it probably messed with a ton of other buffers. Wasn't @HoneyBee having trouble cancelling WGC with certain things but not everything?