What's new

Rumor: Mortal Kombat 10 Briefly Listed On Australian Online Shop

Temp

Salmon. Otters. The Bringer.
This has to be a lie, NRS needs at least 2 years to years to work in mk10.
They recently finished injustice, I don't see how they could close to finishing mk10.
They should skip mk10 and go straight to INJ 2, that's where the money is at.
If they started development after they finished Injustice, then 2 years would have easily transpired before MK10's release date. There's also a strong possibility that the art designers were working on MK10 LONG before Injustice hit shelves.

Immortal

Blind justice....
They recently finished injustice, I don't see how they could close to finishing mk10.
Nope. They finished IGAU in april last year (actually even faster, since already finished version leaked to Internet in the beginning of april which means that the game was already finished in march) .

Game was designed this way that patching is really easy, mostly values to adjust and some other easy mechanics. So most time consuming were tests of this changes which had nothing to do with the actual development team.

Plus NRS is a big studio like 100+ employees or so. So there was no problem in patching IGAU while working mostly on next MK already. Which makes perfect sense, if they started working on MK10 about April last year it would mean that the game is almost a year in development now, so release around end of this year is absolutely possible. E3 announcement, release before year ends makes perfect sense.

Thou the idea that it will run on last gen consoles means they didn't use new engine for it (still modified Unreal Engine 2.5) which makes me kinda worried about looks (less important) and clunky netcode (more important).

Last edited:

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Though I'm all for not rushing development, that isn't exactly the story of Midway. I don't remember the numbers for MKA, but I know MKD and MkvsDC both sold very well. Midway didn't go under because MK wasn't selling well; they tanked because of constant legal trouble and poor sales among other games. They were pumping out MK games so quickly to stay afloat, and even though that ultimately hurt the quality of MK, the games still sold very well. If I remember correctly, Midway got into shit with the actual development team because they refused to pay out bonuses to Boon and Co. (which they were contractually obligated to do after MKvsDC's sales met goal).
Be that as it may, my point still stands. Rushing games decreases quality and eventually leads to financial trouble. The problem is not with developers, per se, it's with the management types who don't understand that simple business logic and don't really care about the games, be it MK or Injustice or whatever. They are simply interested in making money and in their simple minds the best way to achieve that is to pump out as many games as possible in the shortest amount of time.

Remember, Haste Makes Waste!

EGGXI

Scary Bat
For those speculating about a release date, wasn't it confirmed it would coincide with the release of the movie as a new character featured in the film would be in the game?

Tentative speculation puts the movie release date in 2015, I would guess the game would come out then too.

Immortal

Blind justice....
For those speculating about a release date, wasn't it confirmed it would coincide with the release of the movie as a new character featured in the film would be in the game?

Tentative speculation puts the movie release date in 2015, I would guess the game would come out then too.
Game would have to come out before the movie to create hype for it, probably 2-4 weeks before it. Thou it seems less likely that this two things gonna be connected in the end.

Omg, people think that NRS stops working on Injustice on April 16, and starts making MK on April 17.

Developers have development cycles, they don't develop shit from what we perceive as a "length of time", and they don't only work on a single project either at any given time...this could of have been already in development a long time ago.

-_-.

Last edited:

EGGXI

Scary Bat
Game would have to come out before the movie to create hype for it, probably 2-4 weeks before it. Thou it seems less likely that this two things gonna be connected in the end.
Well yeah, I have no idea bout the state of development that movie is currently in having dropped directors etc.

Still I wouldn't expect to see the full game in 2014. Maybe announced or a trailer/marketing campaign, but not actually released.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Omg, people think that NRS stops working on Injustice on April 16, and starts making MK on April 17.

Developers have development cycles, they don't develop shit from what we perceive as a "length of time", and they don't only work on a single project either at any given time...this could of have been already in development a long time ago.

-_-.
Nobody with actual brain thinks they stopped working on IGAU on April 16 (they probably ended in march or even sooner). It's quite obvious that next MK game is in development for quite some time now, probably a year or even longer, which means that release at the end of 2014 makes perfect sense. Plus even little things like Kiefer Sutherland stating he completed work on next MK game quite some time ago mean that the game is in very advanced state of development.

biggabarr

chilling
selfish mk10 will erase inj out of your head

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
Nope. They finished IGAU in april last year (actually even faster, since already finished version leaked to Internet in the beginning of april which means that the game was already finished in march) .

Game was designed this way that patching is really easy, mostly values to adjust and some other easy mechanics. So most time consuming were tests of this changes which had nothing to do with the actual development team.

Plus NRS is a big studio like 100+ employees or so. So there was no problem in patching IGAU while working mostly on next MK already. Which makes perfect sense, if they started working on MK10 about April last year it would mean that the game is almost a year in development now, so release around end of this year is absolutely possible. E3 announcement, release before year ends makes perfect sense.

Thou the idea that it will run on last gen consoles means they didn't use new engine for it (still modified Unreal Engine 2.5) which makes me kinda worried about looks (less important) and clunky netcode (more important).
Announcing mk10 less than a year after INJ release date is like announcing INJ in 2010.
I don't see that happening, if they did announced INJ in 2010 then its totally doable.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Announcing mk10 less than a year after INJ release date is like announcing INJ in 2010.
I don't see that happening, if they did announced INJ in 2010 then its totally doable.
It's all business and from what i've seen lately of WB actions - this makes perfect sense - they actually announced another Batman game to be released exactly one year after Batman: Arkham Origins premiere. So yea releasing next MK after like 1 year and 7 months from IGAU premiere makes a perfect logic from business perspective, sooner for WB = better, although not sure if it's better for the game quality. Time will tell.

Error

DF2+R2
care to share the source?
maybe if we compare the sales up to date, but mk9 has been out forever.
Dude, MK is a much more iconic fighting game series than Injustice, and MK9 was hyped up a shitton before, there's no way Injustice sold more, and I do think Injustice was the better game.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow

What? No it's not. MK9 came out in 2011 so it'd be like announcing Injustice in 2012, which is exactly what they did. MK9 came out in April (2011), DLC got finished (summer of 2011), a year later Injustice got an announcement trailer June 1st (2012), game came out a year later in April (2013). So do the cycle again: Injustice came out (2013), DLC got finished (fall of 2013), MK10 gets an announcement trailer around E3 (June 2014), comes out a year later (2015).

EGGXI

Scary Bat
Dude, MK is a much more iconic fighting game series than Injustice, and MK9 was hyped up a shitton before, there's no way Injustice sold more, and I do think Injustice was the better game.
I'm not so sure about this. Yes it is a much more iconic fighting game series, but Batman & Superman are among the top most globally recognized characters. Their symbols/logos/branding are almost on the same level as Coca Cola.
I would say that the audience of DC Comics-related stuff is much larger than that of MK.

I don't know the extent to which this affects sales figures, but I do recall Injustice selling really damn well.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
I'm not so sure about this. Yes it is a much more iconic fighting game series, but Batman & Superman are among the top most globally recognized characters. Their symbols/logos/branding are almost on the same level as Coca Cola.
I would say that the audience of DC Comics-related stuff is much larger than that of MK.

I don't know the extent to which this affects sales figures, but I do recall Injustice selling really damn well.

MK sold over 3 million copies, Injustice sold less if you take the data into account (420,000+ it's first month, second month it was still number 1, next month it was top 10). I think Injustice may have sold over a million, but that's being optimistic.

EGGXI

Scary Bat
MK sold over 3 million copies, Injustice sold less if you take the data into account (420,000+ it's first month, second month it was still number 1, next month it was top 10). I think Injustice may have sold over a million, but that's being optimistic.
Turns out it's closer to 2 million. I don't know much more it can realistically sell over time, so I guess MK9 does win, but that's still pretty damn good I guess.

EDIT: Looks like MK9 is 4+mil as well.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Turns out it's closer to 2 million. I don't know much more it can realistically sell over time, so I guess MK9 does win, but that's still pretty damn good I guess.

Can you link that? I'd like to see it. But yeah, it's definitely a great accomplishment, I just didn't believe it had a chance to beat MK. While DC itself is an established brand Injustice is not. MK has been a gaming staple for 20+ years and it's a return to the gore and violence on top of 2D fighting after the tame and lackluster MK vs. DC.

Error

DF2+R2
Can you link that? I'd like to see it. But yeah, it's definitely a great accomplishment, I just didn't believe it had a chance to beat MK. While DC itself is an established brand Injustice is not. MK has been a gaming staple for 20+ years and it's a return to the gore and violence on top of 2D fighting after the tame and lackluster MK vs. DC.
@EGGXI this is basically what I was trying to get at.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow

-_-.

It's more than likely they did some stuff in tandem. Just look at Injustice: Came out two years after MK9 and they said each character took around 6 weeks to make but it's probably closer to 3 1/2 or 4 (otherwise the game would've been in development for 3 years), so 4 (weeks per character x 24 (# of characters) / 4 (weeks in a month) = 24 months. Even that is stretching it so it's safer to say 3 1/2 weeks per character.

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
A rumor came to light yesterday that a listing for Mortal Kombat 10 maybe have briefly appeared on the Australian portal for a UK online games store, OZ Game Shop. Italian gaming site Games.it reports that the game was apparently added to the catalog, and then quickly removed shortly thereafter. The date listed on the site was reportedly 'November 22' -- although Nov. 2015 would likely make more sense, given that no official announcement for the game has been made yet.

Although this is entirely hearsay and nothing has been confirmed, fans of the Mortal Kombat series have been eagerly expecting the announcement of a new title, and the introduction of the franchise to next-generation systems. With Kiefer Sutherland divulging in an interview that he'd been working on a new MK title, anticipation is at an all-time high, and followers have been on the lookout for any tidbits or clues.

For more information, check out the original article, as translated by Google:

Translated Article: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.games.it/pc-games/news/mortal-kombat-10-annunciato-a-breve.html

Source: @MKServer on Twitter

Last edited: