What's new

Question - Reptile Reptile's needed Forceball buff

Would making changes to Reptiles forceballs make him OP? What does the community think?

Would we need to cry because Reptile could actually get them out safely or without them being jumped over no problem?

I love the current buffs by the way, D3 was like a gift from gawd.

Like @RapZiLLa54 said though.. FB's still need help. Imo I agree.

With FB recovery decreased it would open up so many pressure options even if it was only on exFB.

What do you guys think? A far cry for help?

Ps Reptile Variations

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
This is really the last area where he needs to be addressed. Also don't understand why EX fbs do the same damage as regular FBs and Acid Spit doing 5% with that kind of startup and recovery.

My wishlist:
Regular forceballs mirror Subs ice blast in both Start Up and Recovery
EX forceball recover instantly and be +2-3 on block.
They could also bring back his ability to stop a forceball with meter whenever it leaves his hands like it did in the beta.
Meaty mids
Acid Spit does 8% damage -7 on block.

Israel

Noob
This may be the last buff that will be given to him. I believe they may have tested the waters with the current changes first then choose to add the rest later... just to make sure everthing evens out. but do i believe we need to make it known..?
YES.

There doing a good job now, those changes helped A LOT. However doesnt change the fact that he has 3 projectiles and only 1 is viable. which is acid spit, and it only does 5%.

FB recover needs to be shaved a few frames,
Stopping fb mid air, IF it costs a bar...it should remain in place for about 5 seconds longer

An etc buff;
change brutality requirements...and i mean change it. none of those conditions are reasonable

picture this.. F412~exFB RC~F21....

This is cool right? FB headed towards your opponent you're starting up pressure.. You can even activate Poison Gas.. Check the video below to peep the strats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=28&v=92ysDDsQXaU

Problem is.. That's super wasteful and there are many options out of it.. And those options get bigger when you do it like f412~RD, f412~exFB...fail

Jumping out, backdashing, having to make the read on if they tech roll, armor low profile moves, etc.. My point being it's not solid, but still a very cool idea. If FB recovery was decreased you could actually use this tech for what it's worth. Enough must be shaved off so the player cannot jump out to say the least.

Last edited:
F21 you mean? You can already do this. Just not with regular Slowball
Check out my edited post. My bad, phone posted before I was done. The opponent has hella options out of regular slow ball, and quite a few out of ex slow ball. What is cool is if you get the RC into the F21 just right when they're trying to jump out you do hit them at least, but then the rest of the string whiffs and well yup that was a waste lol ferk

Last edited:

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I think a slight recovery reduction would be the only thing they should actually do (like 9 frames shaved off).

But I want them to work on bringing up his variation stuff first, then assessing his core stuff.

I think a slight recovery reduction would be the only thing they should actually do (like 9 frames shaved off).

But I want them to work on bringing up his variation stuff first, then assessing his core stuff.
You think they'll ever even put any time into the variations? Lol some characters got entirely new strings put into their variations post patch! Oh if Reptile could only be so lucky. Other characters have it so great. When I was learning Quan, Kenshi, and Tanya I was like holy shet I love this game. Then I went back to Reptile like :DOGE

Reactions: JDM

zoofs

bless
He problem is that he now has safe launching 50/50's, so it's hard to balance the forceballs when he can just mash his 50/50's until the ball is blocked.
its still essentially nothing that great in comparison to other chars, I don't think reducing startup will drastically make him that much better.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
He problem is that he now has safe launching 50/50's, so it's hard to balance the forceballs when he can just mash his 50/50's until the ball is blocked.
I'd like to know this godlike set-up of being able to "mash 50/50s until the ball is blocked". 'cause this is some top-tier shit right here.
Yes, I was being sarcastic, but don't take it personal, I'll gladly educate every single believer in this forum who keeps upplaying regular forceballs and their ability to "set-up" things.

Check out my edited post. My bad, phone posted before I was done. The opponent has hella options out of regular slow ball, and quite a few out of ex slow ball. What is cool is if you get the RC into the F21 just right when they're trying to jump out you do hit them at least, but then the rest of the string whiffs and well yup that was a waste lol ferk
I know. And that's why I'll always drown people who believe that those set-ups are viable in the waters of education. EX Slowball is fine as it is: it doesn't guarantee set-ups but it's at least safe and can be a very good tool once the opponent is conditioned to block. The issue with it is that it requires meter and Reptile needs that meter for far more important things.

EDIT: Also the creator of that video made a thread here and I already expressed my critiques about that guide.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
You think they'll ever even put any time into the variations? Lol some characters got entirely new strings put into their variations post patch! Oh if Reptile could only be so lucky. Other characters have it so great. When I was learning Quan, Kenshi, and Tanya I was like holy shet I love this game. Then I went back to Reptile like :DOGE
I think they will. In my post in the Gen Discussion, I had a list of things they should do. A big issue with Reptile is the fact that his variations don't aid him in his issue with needing meter so much and not being able to generate it. Instead, they compound it, requiring meter for meaningful usage (except for Noxious). I think that needs to be fixed.

One thing I'm noticing now, looking at Kitana, Kenshi and Shinnok, they all got sweeping changes that really brought them up in terms of viability. I think Shinnok may need to be tweaked downward some as he is crazy right now, but Kitana and Kenshi strike me as characters that, while they are much better characters, aren't that powerful still, IMO. Like, they're very good, but not that good...just made into characters who stand a chance.

Honestly, to me, Reptile has it much better than what they had at the start. In terms of normals, he is actually pretty good. Lots of +2 stuff (with a faster d3 thanks to patches to take advantage of this), can set up spacing situations really well due to some of these normals, a 13f advancing string with some solid hitboxes and is safe, a low that crushes a ton of things and blows up a lot of wakeups, very few options that can be punished on block, and all this is backed by a quick step that lets him generate whiff punishes really well. Like, all that stuff is solid. He also has an armored launcher, a mobility option that makes opponents have to be weary of just trying to run at times, and an anti-zoning launcher (not usually useful, but can work at times).

The main things he's missing are air control, good meter building, and meterless damage outside of punishes. And you can solve the last two with making his variations better.

Last edited:

huh

Noob
Yeah, reptile still needs help. I would indeed put the forceballs high in the priority list, although I agree with @THTB regarding the variations (lack of) as the number 1 issue.

1) Tweak the variations.

Nimble has to have more practical ways to be incorporated in combos besides f412-ex nimble. The obvious fix would be reducing startup. Maybe the regular version can have the duration reduced If nimble can be safely activated after certain selected strings. This can make the variation more pressure based, since reptile could do a block string and for a short period of time, be faster to pressure during the nimble duration. It would only be balanced if possible only from a slow string. If 34 can be safely canceled into nimble, it would allow some f412 pressure and after nimble ends (the duration would be the time for only 2 or 3 strings), the opponent would have options, since the fast strings as f412 would not be safely cancelled into nimble, and 34 is slow and can be beat. I don't now, just putting out ideas, but I think it is possible to make nimble the pressure based variation, even keeping reptile's slow normals and unsafe specials.

Deceptive is where Reptile is more lacking. Reduce startup and give him more benefits while invisible. Maybe make the ex version not go away during the whole duration AND take reduced damage (or no chip)? Make the forceballs invisible also during the trait? Something drastic gotta change in this variation, IMO. It can be the strategic, trapping variation (as the name implies), and the tools should reflect that.

Noxious: perhaps the noxious fumes damage could be slightly increased. It has to be the damaging variation, so make it more like it.

Something has to be done to give variations a more distinct feel. The above is just a suggestion to make them pressure, strategic and damaging variations. The bottom line is: the variations have to change the way reptile plays and the neutral game

2) Tweak the forceballs.
Reduce frames, allow them to be stopped without meter as soon as it leaves his hands. Allow them to be used.

3) Give him a safe special. Just one. it can be minus.
This will allow reptile to end strings with that and build meter. Maybe swipe or pounce. Pounce would be great since no one uses it and this would make it a string-ender/meter building special.

No, it is not too much. In fact, these are very modest tweaks. Just asking for things that most of the others have. Not more. In resume:

- make variations more different so reptile can have different play styles as the rest of the cast. That's what variations are for.
- tweak forceballs a bit so they can be used as a proper projectile. Just make it like subzero's which is still slower than the majority of the cast's projectile.
- give him just 1 safe special, as the rest of the cast possesses, so hen can have something to cancel to on block and not be full combo punished, and build meter at the same rate as the other characters.

The majority of the cast have all 3 features described above, with more damage and faster normals than reptile. Just to make it crystal clear: The majority of the cast already have all 3 features (3 diverse variations, a useful projectile, a safe special). These are not OP features, far from that.

I don't usually cry, preferring to adapt and deal with what I've got (I was a Kratos main in MK9, for God sakes, I could deal with slow normals, terrible d2, no pokes), and I admit I'm crying for buffs here, but I really feel bad seeing one of the coolest and more unique characters of the franchise not being viable.

Last edited: