What's new

Match-up Discussion Reptile Matchup Discussion Thread

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Once Sektor gets a missile on screen, Reptile can't really do much but inch his way in or jump, the latter of which puts him at risk for getting hit with flamethrower or just flat-out being AAed by a 6-frame jab. EX slide helps in this matchup a bit, but it doesn't guarantee he gets anything on screen, since, like vs Mileena, he can do full-screen punishes of Reptile's projectiles.

^^ -_- This is Reptile's biggest problem. If your character can cut off his ability to get stuff on screen, he struggles. There are a number of characters that can do this. Even Sindel can be problematic, since iAF does just what I said.

ahh cool. So you gotta play a mid range game so he holds back on shooting missles. But Reptile is sorta slow to really capitalize in this specific match I guess?

THTB

Yeah, he is. He doesn't have the option to just dash block since his dash is bad. The further away Reptile is, generally the harder it is for him to even get in.

THTB

Omg...a character has 5-6 disadvantage matchups and people want to say he's still top 3. =_=

WHYYYY DO YOU GUYYYYYS FEEL HE'S TOP THREEEEEEEEEE WITH MORE THAN THREEEEEEE MATCHUPS NOT IN HIS FAAAAAAVOOOOORRRRRRR?????????????????? The rest of his matchups do not make up for that. He has 6-4s, but really just as many 5-5s.

People, explain to me why this character is top 3 factoring that.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
Once the match up charts get finalized he could still end up being top 3.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
I honestly think he is a bit overrated by people. Not that he isn't a great character, but I feel like when people talk about their hate for Reptile they are just not approaching him the right way. Really you can't let Reptile get momentum of the match or else it will be hard, but if you keep him away then he really can't do anything unless you screw up. I find even Stryker to be difficult with his rolling shenanigans, basically anyone with good projectiles and an armored move that moves far will give Reptile problems.

THTB

Once the match up charts get finalized he could still end up being top 3.

Dan, there has yet to be a fighting game where a character that is one of the 3 best in the game has 5 or more bad matchups.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
Dan, there has yet to be a fighting game where a character that is one of the 3 best in the game has 5 or more bad matchups.
I wasn't really saying he was top 3 I'd place him now at 6. I was just "saying" it could be possible that's all.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
heh

bad matchups for rep:

-Kabal
-Kung Lao (well place him second due to the patch nerf...now it ACTUALLY looks like it might be a 5-5....still in progress though)
-Mil
-Jax (YES!! omfg Jax Rapes reptile in a BS way!)
-Rain (yup and yup!!) this match is SO good for rain!
-Sektor
-Cyrax (again, fuckin 100% reset)

and now for the SHOCK!! and be prepared for it, cause u will see it in tournament soon.
QUANCHI might be a threat!!.....simply put, this is a meter management fight! reptile without meter = shit! reptile with meter = HAVE TO USE IT TO SURVIVE!
quanchi is a THREAT! i repeat, QUANCHI IS A MAJOR THREAT! lol
quanchi with 1 meter = 5-5 matchup...quanchi with 3 meter = 6-4 quan favor ROFL

so...we will see bout the quan thing, cause to be honest...i am still mind fucked tell now bout this fact! i never got salty in my life like that!!! just be aware of shinjukydinky

to get back to the subject....how do people EVEN consider rep top 5 :S?

also, Did noob matchup became that annoying after patch? lol...and subzero is so easy now man :S

M2Dave

Zoning Master
THTB said:
I haven't seen Reptile as a top 5 character for a few months now.

Mileena, Sektor, Kabal, Liu Kang, Sonya and Freddy are troublesome.
Why do you think so? A lot of Freddy's fireball traps do not work on Reptile because of elbow dash. You just have to know when you can dash and when you cannot. You probably just lack experience fighting Freddy. Elbow dash also punishes ground spikes at close ranges and f+4,2,1, which is Freddy's best string. Freddy cannot cancel into nightmare stance to make f+4,2,1 safe. Neither can he teleport. Elbow dash takes care of every option. This match up is either even or in Reptile's favor. Come to the next Console Combat, so we can play.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Why do you think so? A lot of Freddy's fireball traps do not work on Reptile because of elbow dash. You just have to know when you can dash and when you cannot. You probably just lack experience fighting Freddy. Elbow dash also punishes ground spikes at close ranges and f+4,2,1, which is Freddy's best string. Freddy cannot cancel into nightmare stance to make f+4,2,1 safe. Neither can he teleport. Elbow dash takes care of every option. This match up is either even or in Reptile's favor. Come to the next Console Combat, so we can play.
i see u having some fun with freddy dave! ^_^...i am starting to learn him more actually. he's very fun and VERY solid as well. his pressure reminds me of Quanchi mind games, though, TONS better for sure.
tell u wut, i will hit u up tomorrow for some freddy stuff....i want to do a second Video for him soon, i got some interesting stuff for him and kenshi. maybe we can work together?

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Would you mind going in to the jax matchup, I can't possibly see how reptile loses.
Hey omega

alright, first of, jax got WAY buffed!! pre patch he was a freakin beast! and now , he's VERY deadly....Lethal weapon, and to be honest, a VERY tournament quality character and easily from top 10.

to summarize. Jax doesnt do combos unless he's in corner. By means, any small bait combos mid screen are because of Tactical Traps! whether anti Air, f+4,1,2 setups into ground shock, or overhead d,u+2 setups.

-In corner jax is DEADLY!! u think am joking, but jax with meter = big trouble. 3 meters in corner is ENOUGH to take anyone once he gets ANY combo (whether f+4,1,f+4, or f+4,1,3, or d,u+2 over head stuff)

-His projectile now is SO GOOD! so a mix up Earth shock, Fake earth shock, projectile and qcf+2 punch! ....trust me, it's enough for zoning

-His hurtbox is LOWERED in a stupid way..so good for easy AA and anti cross overs for sure. thats beside OS air grab

-Very fast uppercuts. so u will be forced to always watch ur pressure strings against matching cr+2 opponents (so fast, and SO GOOD for either life corner setups with earth shock, or even mid screen earth shock traps)

-his EX qcf+2 is so good! anti Rep okizeme. safe on block...yes it's duckable, BUT! this actually gives jax a priority of, a MOVING wall! it catches jumps in a BS way to be honest :S

-his f+4,1 traps put him on + frames :S...by means BS! in corner, whether OVER head finisher, or low hit finisher BOTH links to un avoidable/escapable earth shock traps...one earth shock rep = 35% damage....BS lol
even non corner, AMAZING dash bait, and AMAZING string pressure

-Very decent pokes and footsie

in summary, this match is a meter management game. Jax is like a moving wall! also, u dont see a lot of jax players around....so US, players, wont always have the right chance to fight good players everytime.
if u want to see an Amazing Jax player, hit up CDjr! he won two tournaments with jax alrdy (including in the tournament, Eric warda, Reo, and chris G, and ofcourse many more.....like tom brady, riu48,maxter,dominican...etc).....so u, watch some ownage with CDjr jax against Kabal, Kung and reptile top tiers players :)

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I have never understood all the hype on Reptile, I really feel like it takes work to play him correctly and win. There are just so many characters who can blow him up. He is a fantastic character, but not quite like Mileena or Kung Lao. BTW fuck Mileena she's so annoying!! haha

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Even the top characters have a few bad match ups, it doesn't negate the fact that they're still a top character.

I agree with dave , general question to everyone here, is there footage of a Freddy schooling a Reptile? Anyone? I too am having difficulty buying that one.

THTB

MKF, yes, the top tiers have a few bad matchups. Like 2 or 3 at the most, and the rest of their matchups are like 60-70% in their favor.

Reptile has like 5 or 6, with only half of the rest of his matchups at advantage.

Again, I re-iterate...this character is not top tier.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
xxteefxx said:
i see u having some fun with freddy dave! ^_^...i am starting to learn him more actually. he's very fun and VERY solid as well. his pressure reminds me of Quanchi mind games, though, TONS better for sure.
tell u wut, i will hit u up tomorrow for some freddy stuff....i want to do a second Video for him soon, i got some interesting stuff for him and kenshi. maybe we can work together?
Sure. Contact me and tell me what you've got. If you have AIM, my screen name is m2dave cro cool. Add me.

THTB said:
MKF, yes, the top tiers have a few bad matchups. Like 2 or 3 at the most, and the rest of their matchups are like 60-70% in their favor.

Reptile has like 5 or 6, with only half of the rest of his matchups at advantage.

Again, I re-iterate...this character is not top tier.
He may not be top tier, but (Kabal aside) he is about as versatile as a character can be in this game. Reptile kind of reminds me of vanilla Ryu. He dominates no one, but he does not struggle again anyone either. Well, maybe he does struggle against Mileena, but that match up is only so because of one stupid reason. Overall, I really like Reptile as a tournament character.

THTB

Okay, here's my latest opinion on Reptile's numbers:

6:4 vs Baraka
5:5 vs Cyber Sub-Zero
5:5 vs Cyrax
6:4 vs Ermac
4:6 vs Freddy Krueger
6:4 vs Jade
6.5:3.5 vs Jax
6:4 vs Johnny Cage
4:6 vs Kabal
5:5 vs Kano
5:5 vs Kenshi
6:4 vs Kitana
5:5 vs Kung Lao
4.5:5.5 vs Liu Kang
3.5:6.5 vs Mileena
5.5:4.5 vs Nightwolf
6:4 vs Noob Saibot
6:4 vs Quan Chi
5:5 vs Raiden
5:5 vs Rain
5:5 vs Scorpion
4:6 vs Sektor
5:5 vs Shang Tsung
6.5:3.5 vs Sheeva
5:5 vs Sindel
5:5 vs Skarlet
5:5 vs Smoke
4:6 vs Sonya Blade
5.5:4.5 vs Stryker
6:4 vs Sub-Zero

Baraka - His EX charge buff is pretty significant. Also, Reptile has to respect charge, period, since Reptile's projectiles are too slow to keep throwing once Baraka is close enough to charge in between them.

Freddy - My limited experience vs Freddy was that jumping and walking were the only ways to really approach. It helps that Reptile is one of the only characters that can legitimately punish hell spike from further than point blank. Up close, I'm not really that afraid of Freddy lol.

Jax - The EX overhead getting armor helps Jax get around d4 a lot better.

Cage - Idc what Cage players swear. Having played Riu's Cage at Summer Jam, it quickly became apparent to me how the sluggish startup of Reptile's projectiles affected a lot, especially in tandem with Cage's fast dash. Cage is eventually getting close unless I burn meter for EX forceball. Really, just smart approaching helps.

Mileena - Okay, I don't think the matchup is a full-on 3:7, but I don't think it's that much less frustrating. Just a smidge.

Skarlet - I was already feeling this matchup wasn't as bad as I thought when I played Dave at Console Combat in Cleveland. Skarlet's dagger nerf, in tandem with Reptile's EX slide buff makes this matchup so much easier. I need more experience, though.

Sheeva - Tbh, her fireball buff affects the matchup heavily. You can't duck under them now, so there's gonna be situations where you have to block them, which helps her get in in the long run.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM

Baraka - His EX charge buff is pretty significant. Also, Reptile has to respect charge, period, since Reptile's projectiles are too slow to keep throwing once Baraka is close enough to charge in between them.

Freddy - My limited experience vs Freddy was that jumping and walking were the only ways to really approach. It helps that Reptile is one of the only characters that can legitimately punish hell spike from further than point blank. Up close, I'm not really that afraid of Freddy lol.

Jax - The EX overhead getting armor helps Jax get around d4 a lot better.

Cage - Idc what Cage players swear. Having played Riu's Cage at Summer Jam, it quickly became apparent to me how the sluggish startup of Reptile's projectiles affected a lot, especially in tandem with Cage's fast dash. Cage is eventually getting close unless I burn meter for EX forceball. Really, just smart approaching helps.

Mileena - Okay, I don't think the matchup is a full-on 3:7, but I don't think it's that much less frustrating. Just a smidge.

Skarlet - I was already feeling this matchup wasn't as bad as I thought when I played Dave at Console Combat in Cleveland. Skarlet's dagger nerf, in tandem with Reptile's EX slide buff makes this matchup so much easier. I need more experience, though.

Sheeva - Tbh, her fireball buff affects the matchup heavily. You can't duck under them now, so there's gonna be situations where you have to block them, which helps her get in in the long run.
Did you put the liu kang matchup at 4.5:5.5 because of the rough time Reptile has escaping his rushdown and his faster fireballs, or are there other factors that come into play?

AK Toxic

Graphic Designer
I still have an enormous amount of trouble with the 3.5:6.5 Mil match up for Rep.. If anyone could give me some advice or 1on1 practice that would help. Maybe I need to go back and watch those money matches vs Chris G and Pig again .__.''

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
THTB the only things I disagree with are:

Mileena 3:7
I really think this is his worst matchup and I do feel like it's a bit worse than 3.5:6.5. What exactly can Reptile do offensively against Mileena? From what I've experienced and seen, it seems like Reptile has to just bait and counter Mileena and is heavily reliant on meter to win.

Kenshi 6:4
I feel like Reptile has the advantage in this matchup. The only problem Reptile has seems to be at full range if he is low on health. You can block a teleflurry or slash thing and then elbow dash in and block. Also if you shoot a forceball and they wait for it so they can reflect, you can rush in and D4-acidhand or do whatever. I don't think Kenshi has an easy enough time keeping Reptile away from him.

Sub Zero 5.5:4.5
I think the buff really helped Sub a lot in the matchup and I thikn it is much closer to even now.

Matchups I'm kind of unsure of are:

Jax
I feel like the matchup is more 6:4 then 6.5:3.5.

Stryker
This matchup can maybe be 5:5?

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator

hmm , i guess we have different opinions....hmm. alright lets see. i will mention some of wut i disagree on.

-4:6 vs Freddy Krueger
hmmm , not sure bout this...but so far i didnt fight a good krugur. THOUGH! Krugur is a SPAMMER like noob. So ya! i would say it's very possible.
great offense, defense, mix ups, turtle and bait/escapes/oki. so i would agree on that blind folded

-6.5:3.5 vs Jax
No no....my friend main Jax. as well as , you should play against CDjr and Detroit if u didnt dude. SERIOUSLY, they will change the idea of this matchup for you DRAMATICALLY!
this match is easily 6 - 4, or can go 5- 5(doable)

-5:5 vs Kenshi
another NO NO! lol...this match is reptile favor hands down. Kenshi has few answer. once rep get in, that's it for kenshi...THOUGH! i fought a lot of rep and i know the match up....so i would give it 5 - 5 (POSSIBLE)...but not against someone with a solid rep at all to be honest

-4.5:5.5 vs Liu Kang

HOW >< ....just how? lol Liu can is easily predictable and the easiest to fuzzy guard as well to be honest. this is really VERY 5 -5 matchup.
hit up DJ whether Online or offline, he lives were u live at :p

-6:4 vs Noob Saibot

Both after the patch is 5 - 5 to be honest.....that's my opinion, SPECIALLY QUANCHI! OMG quanchi with meter is deadly ! hit up devastation to see Dink in quanchi action! hopefully he will do good!
noob can still be the same to be honest, though, online it's annoying to play against him due to frame lag and reaction...specially that the proj became med >_> so yah....i dont fight noobs players at all to be honest, except Hitushura (which i didnt play against from loooong lol)

-5:5 vs Rain
another NO NO!! lol....all i have to say, CDjr rain is by far superb!! other names as well (west caost) bildslash and Ikizzle....simply rani destroys Reptile due to a lot of facts to be honest

-4:6 vs Sonya Blade
now this i disagree on while a lot of players say the matchup is like wut u say. at first i wa slike sonya favor, though after a while i discovered it's really 5- 5 easily. this is a very fair match
i bit u played against Riu48 before? but his sonya is a good example. poto222 and riu48 are the best two sonya's i've played with and seen....seriously i dont see this matchup as sonya favor at all

-Cage
5 -5 hands down...cage can bother rep really good in the right hands

-Kitana
come on...you gave Liu as a favor upper hand and kitana not? both of them are 5 - 5....kitana in my opinion has a tougher learning curve. though i would give this matchup kitana favor in my opinion (FUCK DOMINICAN's KITANA!! lol)...but i will go for 5- 5 for now :p