What's new

Match-up Discussion Reptile Matchup Discussion Thread

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Yes, I've realized you must always block against Reptile more then anyone else lol. Jumping is pointless against Reptile. Reptile is the new top tier.

But like I was saying, the issue I have problems with is irrelevant to online/offline. I know he's safe because of online with the dash etc, that's just the online aiding him. But the whole "instant dash" =lame.

I'll just study up on his best counters and master them lol. Sometimes you need to fight fire with fire. That's all.

Yes, I've realized you must always block against Reptile more then anyone else lol. Jumping is pointless against Reptile. Reptile is the new top tier.

But like I was saying, the issue I have problems with is irrelevant to online/offline. I know he's safe because of online with the dash etc, that's just the online aiding him. But the whole "instant dash" =lame.

I'll just study up on his best counters and master them lol. Sometimes you need to fight fire with fire. That's all.
I've always wanted to play your ermac, I keep hearing from people "mkf30 has the best ermac" haha, Im a reptile user, maybe you could get pracctice on that, we could play.

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.

Even though Reptile is arguably the best character (he has his bad matchups but I stilll have him in hte top 5), Mileena kills him. If you really want to counterpick then Mileena is the way to go lol.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
SNEEEEEPS!
funny, i dont have that much of a problem with Mil like other chars!

first off, i've been fighting a LOT of kungs and kabal for like...a Month now. they are my sparring partners chars (as well as mil)

to be honest, Kabal and Kung chance against Reptile compared to mil....Ohh boy :S, Mil is heaven in that case!

i always though Kung can be 50 / 50....though, this match is DISGUSTING in every mean!
i want to see kung after the patch...want to see wut happend to him.

as for kabal, People been crying that he got nerfed! ...well, seriously...screw u all! using negative edge to make it easier? come on :S where's the technicians in that :p?
seriously, kabal dash cancels became AMAZING now due to the fact of RAPID frame traps of cr+1~ nomad dash cancel! no more negative edge of Pulse projectile! ...so ya....fuck kabal :"S this simply made him more deadly against Reptile

but yah...someone in here said that Sub VS rep pre patch is 6- 4 rep favor?? ya right....this match is never above 5 - 5! and even after the PATCH! it will still be 5 - 5

my monthly current threat for rep:

-Kung
-Kabal
-mil
-Cyrax
-Sektor ....

shit i forgot sektor!! good sektor >> reptile! such a disgusting match! lol ...though cant wait to play the patch and own him with ex slides

PS: snips, read ur message

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Reptile is nowhere near the best character in the game. He has too many difficult matchups for that to be possible.

I'm starting to see why Mileena isn't so bad anymore, but I straight up need more experience. Also, Sub is definitely 6-4, Teef. The EX slide buff solidifies that...he no longer needs 3 bars to reliably escape the corner, and can more reliably hit Sub in between his strings. 224 is reaction EX slide punished now as well. The only real edge Sub got in this matchup is more trades can be made more favorable.

Kung Lao is also significantly easier. You can spit and keep up with him in projectile wars now, and you still can punish 21212. It's 5-5 very easily. The low hat change switches up everything.

Cyrax is only easier because you don't die as hard, plus EX slide helps vs nets. You now have a reliable net punisher outside of X-Ray or a good jump.

The EX slide changes much more than I originally thought. Reptile gets stuff on screen more as a result.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Reptile is nowhere near the best character in the game. He has too many difficult matchups for that to be possible.

I'm starting to see why Mileena isn't so bad anymore, but I straight up need more experience. Also, Sub is definitely 6-4, Teef. The EX slide buff solidifies that...he no longer needs 3 bars to reliably escape the corner, and can more reliably hit Sub in between his strings. 224 is reaction EX slide punished now as well. The only real edge Sub got in this matchup is more trades can be made more favorable.

Kung Lao is also significantly easier. You can spit and keep up with him in projectile wars now, and you still can punish 21212. It's 5-5 very easily. The low hat change switches up everything.

Cyrax is only easier because you don't die as hard, plus EX slide helps vs nets. You now have a reliable net punisher outside of X-Ray or a good jump.

The EX slide changes much more than I originally thought. Reptile gets stuff on screen more as a result.
ohh shit who said reptile from the best :S ....far from it my friend . i am seriously. People just likes to say weird stuff, just filter it lol. PS: Snips is weird man....weird i tell u :p

as for the sub match...well , that after the patch! not before u know. Trust me, i am dying to try out the ex slide! against mil, cyrax, sektor.....etc
though, interesting pinpoints about the subzero after patch

and yes, EX slide is a REALLY good buff

also, anyone in here beside me, happy that skarlet can no longer shadow dash mixup? :D

THTB

I'm happy Skarlet isn't goddamn MKA Sareena on crack anymore.

EDIT: Okay, nvm about 224 punish. Slide doesn't travel fast enough in comparison to X-Ray.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
I'm happy Skarlet isn't goddamn MKA Sareena on crack anymore.

EDIT: Okay, nvm about 224 punish. Slide doesn't travel fast enough in comparison to X-Ray.
just exited Practice mode now*
I KNEW IT! lol

also, devastation? will i see ur sexy face for some SOBER, fully awake teef , reptile mirror matches? last time seriously , i was like in penguin LAND! i was awake, living on laughter....or else i would've colapsed for like 7 hours , un able to wake up lol

THTB

Devastation is a no-go. I'm barely rich enough to make it to Season's Beatings in my homestate lol.

MKF30

Even though Reptile is arguably the best character (he has his bad matchups but I stilll have him in hte top 5), Mileena kills him. If you really want to counterpick then Mileena is the way to go lol.
lol, screw that. I have honor! lol Mileena is annoying in another way but Ermac kills her I've noticed. Well, a smart Ermac anyway. He can counter the bitch on so many levels lol. Honestly, I don't think she's that big of a deal if it wasn't for her damn instant teleport kick and D4 lol.

Match ups are odd aren't they? Reptile gives Ermac a rough time, yet Ermac gives Mileena a hard time, but Mileena gives Reptile a hard time lol(one of the few lol)

I do agree with you, IMO I think Reptile(right now) is the best in the game. I know some agree, others disagree....would have said KL, but since he's nerfed he's WAYYY easier now compared to before lol. The spin is actually punishable!! Such a difference lol and his low hat is more realistic speed.

At any rate, I have found that Kabal with his ground saws can kill Reptile's dashes forcing him to jump more in which Kabal can zone him with the air blasts. I think I'm going to pick up Kabal more so(I already used him casually as my 5th/6th guy here and there against non-teleporters) but I think I'll consider using him more against Reptile. Sub-Zero also I've noticed tends to give him a hard time, I just wish his clone had more priority lol. I'll see. I have had some better luck with Sektor believe it or not but I have to stay far to zone him with the missles.

Muffin, thanks. I try. ;) But sure I got your FR, but sure. Most reptiles(so far online anyway) while they give me trouble, I have managed with either Ermac or Sektor but NOT easily lol....from Milkys to Snips, THTB's(not recently but I know I've played them quite a few times) Milky especially we played a ton the first few months.

There's this guy named Masterbetty, his reptile is tough but he also lags...so lol.

THTB

After Season's Beatings, I'm gonna take a break from out-of-state tournaments, at least until I have a more consistent cash flow lol. Could be up to a year or longer.

And Reptile, I repeat is not the best in the game!!! When people learn to actually not be afraid of what elbow allows, then they'll start winning. The people I lose to the most are the ones that aren't afraid of it and simply remain aware of the spacing for whiffs. There are a lot of characters easily ahead of him...but Reptile is a bunch of players' bane simply because they fear shit. That's why Kung Lao was a problem. You can't fucking fear characters and expect to do well lol.

MKF30

Reptile I still believe is the best in the game, tier wise? Who is better? I'd have to see evidence of someone literally owning a good Reptile with someone to convince me personally. He has the least amount of bad match ups. Until they slow the speed of the dash or add pause time frame in between naked dashes he's still powerful.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Reptile I still believe is the best in the game, tier wise? Who is better? I'd have to see evidence of someone literally owning a good Reptile with someone to convince me personally. He has the least amount of bad match ups. Until they slow the speed of the dash or add pause time frame in between naked dashes he's still powerful.
Kabal will be the best.

MKF30

Doubtful, Kabal has been nerfed and Kabal players have been saying they killed his block, cancel strings now compared to before. Kabal isn't that bad....

RE_4Alice

Banned
Doubtful, Kabal has been nerfed and Kabal players have been saying they killed his block, cancel strings now compared to before. Kabal isn't that bad....
reptile def is looking like the best now for sure. just by looking at how hard his dash is too punish and how abusable it is should be common sense. kabal lol everytime i watch tourneys they always lose and he is not that bad to fight against

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
reptile def is looking like the best now for sure. just by looking at how hard his dash is too punish and how abusable it is should be common sense. kabal lol everytime i watch tourneys they always lose and he is not that bad to fight against
If you cant punish his dash after the patch then you really aren't in a position to talk about what is balanced and what isn't.

CitizenSnips

Wait, THTB and teef you guys don't think Reptile is top 5 anymore? I feel like he only has a few bad matchups, maybe tell me what you guys are seeing as bad matchups with him? Personally for me Kung Lao, Mileena, Sektor, Kabal and Scorpion give me trouble but against all other characters I feel like Reptile is either even or has advantage. Haven't fought enough Skarlet's to make an opinion on her but I've been hearing that it's bad for Reptile. Well maybe if Reptile gets exposed or something then people will stop using him so I won't have to receive so much hate for using him lollol

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Mileena, Sektor, Kabal, Sonya, and Liu Kang are the hardest for Reptile I reckon. Everyone else is even or in Reptile's favour.
Saying that, I'm unsure as far as the DLC characters go. Also noob just got a lot harder with the new teleport, it's such a pain in the ass.

CitizenSnips

Oh yeah I forgot to mention Sonya being really annoying to fight as well. Idk if it's because I'm not too familiar with the matchup but it seems like she could have advantage or be 5-5. Also now that I think about it if Reptile does have like 5 or so bad matchups then I guess he might not be top 5. I think part of the reason people why aren't realizng his bad matchups is because they don't have enough practice with the matchup or because they just happen to run into the elite Reptile players (THTB, sabin, chris G).

THTB

Wait, THTB and teef you guys don't think Reptile is top 5 anymore? I feel like he only has a few bad matchups, maybe tell me what you guys are seeing as bad matchups with him? Personally for me Kung Lao, Mileena, Sektor, Kabal and Scorpion give me trouble but against all other characters I feel like Reptile is either even or has advantage. Haven't fought enough Skarlet's to make an opinion on her but I've been hearing that it's bad for Reptile. Well maybe if Reptile gets exposed or something then people will stop using him so I won't have to receive so much hate for using him lollol
I haven't seen Reptile as a top 5 character for a few months now.

Mileena, Sektor, Kabal, Liu Kang, Sonya and Freddy are troublesome. The problem with these matchups is if they get something on screen, Reptile generally isn't getting in without jumping or spending a bar to get something on screen so he can move. All but 2 of those characters have solid air control as well, and 2 of the above characters are capable of reaction punishing Reptile anywhere on the screen. EX slide helps a bit in these matchups since it can sometimes get difficult to put anything on screen (Even EX forceball). Skarlet isn't as bad as she was before (10f gaps added to dagger zoning = lol I'm elbowing more and just taking random daggers cuz I'm a fuggin' boss), same with Kung Lao. Otherwise, Reptile is even or at advantage (More even than advantage after the patch, really).