What's new

General/Other Re designing sub zero

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
So tom brady posted his video about how sub is going to basically need a transformation since most of the strategy is based on a nonexistent version of sub. I think we should start this thread and begin discussion for what the reform of sub will be. Throw around ideas for new strategy, options, and tech that the whole sub community can start working on so we can all stop crying about the nerfs/buffs and just learn our character again.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
sub is okay how he is being used. But as tom brady, who most of us see as the best subzero, said, he is not being used to the best of his new design ability. Hes still being used like the old sub that did not have to deal with incredible amounts of armor moves, better zoning, and small nerfs that altogether make sub a shadow of what he was.

MKK hanzo

AA EN Slide, both for crossups or jump ins, fake resets (b+2 hold then dashcancel it and follow up etc). Im mostly using the EN Slide stuff. (BTW im not even good with sub so be gentle)

Here are some of my thoughts, i redesigned my Sub some time ago, and it works well for me

#1) I Started to using B12, after JP, it increased my dmg, and i can always cancel to clone/follow up pressure
#2) After Air to Air i follow up with dash 21, freeze, (B1)2, slide
#3) I started to using JP,B121 after freeze, so i can continue pressure easily
#4) If i decide to use normal bnb not b121, i use JP,B12,Freeze,NJP,Dash1,B12,212,slide easy to do and 38%
#5) Use D4 in pressure, its fastest d4 in the game, and give many frame adv so 22/21 is almost guaranted on hit
#6) Changed my Corner combos for most damaging, example
212,freeze,11,222
212,freeze,1,224,slide
214,freeze,(B1)2,224,slide
224,freeze,(B1)2,214,slide
#7 Use 22 as antiair more effective, also vs crossups, now its really hard to jump/crossup me, 22 is great great AA
#8 Changed my pressure, i like to use 21/d4/21/21/22/d4 etc. after 21 we are on neutral, and d4 is 8frames, so its easy to continue pressure, also u can fool people and make 21,d4,21,d4,212, also i like to troll with 22, instead of 224 i like to do 22,22,224
#9 I try to increase my dmg to maximum, so i like to do on opponents stuff like, NJP,dash1,b12,212,slide, or after freeze in air when i dont have time to B12/or NJP, i like to do something like dash1,214,slide instead of 214,slide. I Find that sub dmg is low, so i have to increase dmg to maximum.
#10 Also after, 212,clone on block in corner, after ex slide i like to add 4, so 4,214,slide for more dmg, also at 212,clone, throw into clone glitch, im adding jp for 3% more dmg
#11 when im trying to do ex slide into clone, im placing my clone midair, it hits almost every time
#12 Usefull stuff in corner, vs opponents with punishable wakeups, after 214,clone i like to do NJP, then not to fallow up with ex icepuddle, but charge B+2, and cancel into block, 90% of players will wakeups mindlessly, so other free combo
#13 After B+2 on hit midscreen i do dash1,B12,212,slide for 37% dmg its easy to do after some practice

I think thats all :)

Ravox

Winter is Coming...
You can't block right after b2 cancel, so depending on how fast is the opponent's wakeup attack, you take it.

Unless you cancel it way before, but then he can not wakeup on reaction, easier said than done though.

i cancel it some time before, but they are trying to mash it out ;] anyway its just a trick dont take it too seriously

Ravox

Winter is Coming...
AA EN Slide, both for crossups or jump ins, fake resets (b+2 hold then dashcancel it and follow up etc). Im mostly using the EN Slide stuff. (BTW im not even good with sub so be gentle)

Question, why ''Hanzo'' if you play Sub-Zero?

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
There really isn't a ... change in his tools. It is all about how you use them against certain characters. The "re-design" was mainly about strategy against bad match ups. Instead of trying to chase Kitana all over the world... just get a life lead and duck fans. She can NOT get through clone. Stuff like that.

Altaire

Noob
An AA EX slide is never going to be as good as an AA ice clone. If you have enough space to ice clone on reaction without it whiffing, you'll get considerably more damage out of it without spending any meter. If you don't have enough space, the slide is not likely to catch them anyhow, you'll probably just go right under them at that distance.

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
Here are some of my thoughts, i redesigned my Sub some time ago, and it works well for me

#1) I Started to using B12, after JP, it increased my dmg, and i can always cancel to clone/follow up pressure
#4) If i decide to use normal bnb not b121, i use JP,B12,Freeze,NJP,Dash1,B12,212,slide easy to do and 38%
#5) Use D4 in pressure, its fastest d4 in the game, and give many frame adv so 22/21 is almost guaranted on hit
212,freeze,11,222
212,freeze,1,224,slide
#7 Use 22 as antiair more effective, also vs crossups, now its really hard to jump/crossup me, 22 is great great AA
#8 Changed my pressure, i like to use 21/d4/21/21/22/d4 etc. after 21 we are on neutral, and d4 is 8frames, so its easy to continue pressure, also u can fool people and make 21,d4,21,d4,212, also i like to troll with 22, instead of 224 i like to do 22,22,224
#9 I try to increase my dmg to maximum, so i like to do on opponents stuff like, NJP,dash1,b12,212,slide, or after freeze in air when i dont have time to B12/or NJP, i like to do something like dash1,214,slide instead of 214,slide. I Find that sub dmg is low, so i have to increase dmg to maximum.
#10 Also after, 212,clone on block in corner, after ex slide i like to add 4, so 4,214,slide for more dmg, also at 212,clone, throw into clone glitch, im adding jp for 3% more dmg
#11 when im trying to do ex slide into clone, im placing my clone midair, it hits almost every time
#12 Usefull stuff in corner, vs opponents with punishable wakeups, after 214,clone i like to do NJP, then not to fallow up with ex icepuddle, but charge B+2, and cancel into block, 90% of players will wakeups mindlessly, so other free combo
#13 After B+2 on hit midscreen i do dash1,B12,212,slide for 37% dmg its easy to do after some practice

Don't forget jip 214 freeze standing 4 224 slide. 41% in the corner.

Ravox

Winter is Coming...
I played it in that tourney but I meant that I dont like/know how to play with him XD
Hmm, so in tournaments you usually use characters that you don't know/like to play, interesting..

Lol, jk man, do as you wish.

MKK hanzo

Hmm, so in tournaments you usually use characters that you don't know/like to play, interesting..

Lol, jk man, do as you wish.
hehe in reality it was a wild card I had, Im not good at mk9 and my chars (KL and Kabal) were raped at this tourney by the same guy. I saved SZ for last and... worked!

212,freeze,11,222
212,freeze,1,224,slide

You know your Sub Zero Tech:) Thats pretty much how I think its best to use him. You know what else you can use that is very useful, when your opponents gets conditioned to you using b1,2, you can some times mix in a slide after b1. Since they know they have to block high after the second hit, it will almost always land. Once you do it a couple of times then the spike will start to hit them since they get confused as to whether your going to slide or spike.

Its not something solid to use, Shoryuken, its something, like everything else Sub have, that will work 3x and nevermore. The slide hits so much earlier than the 2, its easy to block that as you know how it works. Its not that you can to get the opponent conditioned and then catch him out of guard, when he get used to it, it wont work at all anymore.

Every trick I see you and others to use in tournament matchs these days are tricks that are only working coz the opponent dont know it, because overall theyre easy to deal with.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Its not something solid to use, Shoryuken, its something, like everything else Sub have, that will work 3x and nevermore. The slide hits so much earlier than the 2, its easy to block that as you know how it works. Its not that you can to get the opponent conditioned and then catch him out of guard, when he get used to it, it wont work at all anymore.

Every trick I see you and others to use in tournament matchs these days are tricks that are only working coz the opponent dont know it, because overall theyre easy to deal with.
That isn't true. It is a heat of the moment type of deal. It is a guess really... so if you like guessing then yeah. I can see this working if you use the B1,2,1 like he does.