What's new

Match Footage Raiden Match Videos

B W1zZ

Noob
Wow, thanks for all the input!

I have a much more solid game since those matches. I mix in way more f24, especially early on. Corner I usually 33~VB then try to catch them with 334 into the full combo then follow up with EX lightning ball. (Got a flawless this morning with that, haha man it rocks). In the corner you mentioned f24, but it knocks your off them if they block it in the corner. Is there advantage to get back in after that? Or maybe stand there after it knocks me back to bait a jump.

You mentioned 1~vb as anti air. What does that out priorities? jump in punch and kick? does it only work when they jump in from far or will it catch any spacing on a jump in? crossover?
Yeah on block it will push you back, but they are still cornered regardless. If you make a good read they might attempt to jump to get out of the corner and you could nail them with an aa combo, like an aa jump punch into F24 d1 shocker, F23 superman (only does 23% but it's useful), or dash in with another F24 if they just stand there. If the F24 manages to connect you can get a meterless 41% combo off of it (corner combo 10 in my Kombo Kompendium). You could also NJP them if they try jumping out into a dash shocker F23 vb F23 superman or another corner combo. I'm not saying its the only string you should use in the corner, but it's a powerful option.

1 VB has a very fast startup (9 frames) so it out prioritizes most jump in attempts, mainly jump in punches. It wont work as well on jump in kicks, but :en shocker will. It's best used if they are jumping in from jumping distance, and it works on crossups as well if you're fast enough. In a way its like cage/jax's standing 1 anti air combos, just Raidens version. I would recommend going in practice mode and setting the training dummy to jump, then practicing 1 vb dash shocker, F2 vb B3 or dash 33 superman to get the hang of it.

REYTHEGREAT

Does anyone have any footage of Justin wongs raiden in the Canada cup tournament he won not too long ago? I assumed he still uses raiden.

Thanks again! Man I wish you could record stuff for the cpu to do in practice mode so I could practice 1~vb to stop crossover, that would be huge if I could do that consistently on reaction. I will take this all into consideration and play a lot after work and report back :) Next tournament nov 19th. 1st or nothin!!! hehe.

B W1zZ

Noob
Thanks again! Man I wish you could record stuff for the cpu to do in practice mode so I could practice 1~vb to stop crossover, that would be huge if I could do that consistently on reaction. I will take this all into consideration and play a lot after work and report back :) Next tournament nov 19th. 1st or nothin!!! hehe.
I personally haven't used it much on crossup attempts but I've seen other people in this board that mentioned it works. :en Shocker F2 VB dash 334 superman is probably the most consistent way of punishing crossups, but it does take some practice to get the hang of, and fast reactions. The key thing is releasing block (if you're blocking) when they jump over you, and timing the inputs towards the side they are jumping to.

Good luck at your tournament, hit me up if you have questions or post in the Ask Raiden Thread and I'll do my best to help. Knowing your matchups is one of the most important things.

Not bad, I like whenever I see a Raiden actually doing some combos lol. Was this before or after the patch?

Keep em coming :raiden:
It was before ! anyway, matches against Hanzo Hattorie below was after the patch ( I prefer raiden after, because of the 2 tp, we can use feints ^^ did u try feint with 2TP? it works good when an opponent does low kick after 3, 3, 4 !!

B W1zZ

Noob
It was before ! anyway, matches against Hanzo Hattorie below was after the patch ( I prefer raiden after, because of the 2 tp, we can use feints ^^ did u try feint with 2TP? it works good when an opponent does low kick after 3, 3, 4 !!
Yeah I thought it was pre-patch since tele seemed to recover a lot quicker in that video lol. And yes I fully agree while regular tele has been made slightly more punishable, the new :en teleport has opened up a whole new dimension of tactics. 334, and B31, B312, F23 are all excellent strings for cancelling into :en tele.

Few fights against a french friend, nikano. Kano is very hard to beat, I didn't play so good in these matches, but I find interesting to show how play kano. What is your strategy against a kano?

B W1zZ

Noob
Few fights against a french friend, nikano. Kano is very hard to beat, I didn't play so good in these matches, but I find interesting to show how play kano. What is your strategy against a kano?
Good video. Against a good kano it's kind of a guessing game with his knife toss and his upball. After a blocked upball raiden can punish with 121 shocker, F2 vb dash 334 superman for 33%. You have to be careful with your teleports because he could try to do a knife as you appear on the other side, and you end up eating an upball instead...upball is a pretty solid, somewhat safe punisher for teleport. Use :en superman to punish a knife toss on reaction and as another way to get in.

Granted you played well there are a few things in your gameplay I would like to point out to help:

I seen you use en vicinity blast in the corner after a 334, which I think is a waste of meter. A regular vicinity blast would have been fine, and you could have gotten a 43% combo without :en vicinity blast. It only adds 2% to his biggest corner combos.

I noticed a few times you did en teleport off of a landed B312 when you could have gone into shocker. I felt that was a waste of meter, as you spent meter just to lose out on potential damage.

After a jump in punch the majority of the time you would go into F2,3,1+2. Generally after a jump in punch it's good to go into 334 then (assuming it hits) tele, F2 shocker, F2 vb B3 superman for a full 40% damage, or a B312 combo for about 38%.

At 3:45 - instead of doing a b2 you could have done a dash (to close the distance) into F24 d1 shocker, F23 superman for some exceptional corner damage.

at 5:38 could have landed a superman off of the uppercut, resulting in 21% damage

at 7:09, a dash in F2 to hit confirm the xray would have guaranteed it, waste of a full bar of meter which could have benefited in the next round, or gave you a better chance to take the round.

8:53: after landing the en shocker doing F2 VB dash 334 superman would have given you 30% damage.

9:30: could have went into a 33 shocker or 334 33 shocker after the popup to keep him in the corner

9:36: after the anti air punch could have dashed in into a possible B31 or B312 shocker, B31 superman for around 21%

Overall I'd say to try to play more patiently, and don't jump as much. A lot of times in those matches you would jump and get aa punched out of the air, or he would try to jump and you'd aa punch him and whiff a string etc.

Look in the kombo kompendium and practice the standing 1 vicinity blast anti air combos, and take a look at the NJP combos as well. There are several meterless options for countering jumps and jump in punches, along with :en shocker.

Another note: you should use F2,4 more...very good string with good priority...especially after doing a D3 poke (like at the beginning of the first match). Keep meter management in mind as well, and overall try to play it a little smarter with your meter usage, and a bit more patient. Rushing down/jumping in isn't always the best thing to do. Work more on staying grounded (not jumping randomly), and utilizing more anti air options for punishing jump ins, and alternatively superman/teleport to escape jump ins or punish some random jumps.

Hope that helps, keep em comin!

underoath85

Let there be thunder
Oh, gotcha. Thanks. I did, however, see your tag video with Marvaz..... You make great reads on opp. I'm getting there, but the biggest thing I believe in is constantly switching up my play. Like, defensive to offensive, random but reliable shocker, njp, etc. You can do all these things lol. Do you know if v. blast block infinite still works? I've been toying around with b2, f2, v. blast and repeating. Really throws the opp. off, because most don't use this kombo. Anyhow, thanks and glad I got to see you finally.

B W1zZ

Noob
Oh, gotcha. Thanks. I did, however, see your tag video with Marvaz..... You make great reads on opp. I'm getting there, but the biggest thing I believe in is constantly switching up my play. Like, defensive to offensive, random but reliable shocker, njp, etc. You can do all these things lol. Do you know if v. blast block infinite still works? I've been toying around with b2, f2, v. blast and repeating. Really throws the opp. off, because most don't use this kombo. Anyhow, thanks and glad I got to see you finally.
No, vicinity blast no longer gives major advantage on block. Now it puts Raiden at neutral on block..but it's still useful. You just can't try to continue the rushdown afterwards or get a free throw anymore, but it's usually enough to D3 into F24 to break their offense, and 121 shocker usually stuffs most combo attempts.

Some of B wizz's matches at devestation.

Bwizz vs lowkeyfamous (jade and raiden)

bwizz vs doclipschitz (scorpion

Bwizz vs egp tyrant (jax)

bwizz vs AU NEED A TISSUE (Reptile)

bwizz vs 16 bit

bwizz vs shujinkydink

bwizz vs 16 bit (This time with special guest Samantha!!)

There's also some more Raiden matches on the channel.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Great Raiden player from Greece - Nivek.
Excellent Raiden. I have just one recommendation: always cancel a blocked combo string into something, such as Vicinity Blast, Electric Shock, d1, Teleport, or Cross-Over Jump. I noticed many times after a blocked b3, 1, 2 he didn't do anything thus allowing the Johny Cage player to get on the offensive.

Other than that, he did very well. He has excellent combo skills, as well as good timing and mind games with Teleport and interrupting strings at random times to confuse the opponent.

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
Excellent Raiden. I have just one recommendation: always cancel a blocked combo string into something, such as Vicinity Blast, Electric Shock, d1, Teleport, or Cross-Over Jump. I noticed many times after a blocked b3, 1, 2 he didn't do anything thus allowing the Johny Cage player to get on the offensive.

Other than that, he did very well. He has excellent combo skills, as well as good timing and mind games with Teleport and interrupting strings at random times to confuse the opponent.
Blocking after a blocked combo string is actually safer than most of the options you mentioned. One that might work is backdashing after a blocked string, sometimes they attempt to punish and whiff then you can punish them instead.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Blocking after a blocked combo string is actually safer than most of the options you mentioned. One that might work is backdashing after a blocked string, sometimes they attempt to punish and whiff then you can punish them instead.
I believe d1 and Vicinity Blast (with the exception of Reptile a few other characters) after blocked strings are safer than simply blocking, because you can't block fast enough to prevent a punish. Teleporting is more of a mind game than anything else, it's not supposed to be safe. As for Electric Shock, you are correct, it's very unsafe on block, but if you guess correctly you can catch them in a 30%+ combo.

Back-dashing after a blocked string is actually an interesting idea, I've never even considered it. I'll have to play around with that.

BigMilk

I believe d1 and Vicinity Blast (with the exception of Reptile a few other characters) after blocked strings are safer than simply blocking, because you can't block fast enough to prevent a punish. Teleporting is more of a mind game than anything else, it's not supposed to be safe. As for Electric Shock, you are correct, it's very unsafe on block, but if you guess correctly you can catch in a 30%+ combo.

Back-dashing after a blocked string is actually an interesting idea, I've never even considered it. I'll have to play around with that.
Try it man, backdash works wonders as long as you dont become predictable. d1 is useful but VB can be ducked on reaction. You wont be able to use it alot depending on the level of competition you are playing. I also wanted to mention on of your post earlier in this thread. Im not sure if its old or not but you were talking about being pushed back from f24 when opponent is in corner. Its actually a good thing imo. This sort of sets you up to continue pressure. At this point you take away some of their options because your opponent cannot escape with crossover jumps, and if they attempt you can aa punish and also after the f24 pushback you are still in range to begin b3 mixups/pressure. I would really appreciate if anyone else had any advice to correct me if im wrong or just to add on in general.

[MENTION=204]B W1zZ[/MENTION], [MENTION=8319]FOREVER KING[/MENTION], [MENTION=5727]Nivek[/MENTION] or any other high level players who know alot about raiden.

f24 on opponent in corner info was actually asked by [MENTION=3109]rotanadan[/MENTION]

B W1zZ

Noob
Try it man, backdash works wonders as long as you dont become predictable. d1 is useful but VB can be ducked on reaction. You wont be able to use it alot depending on the level of competition you are playing. I also wanted to mention on of your post earlier in this thread. Im not sure if its old or not but you were talking about being pushed back from f24 when opponent is in corner. Its actually a good thing imo. This sort of sets you up to continue pressure. At this point you take away some of their options because your opponent cannot escape with crossover jumps, and if they attempt you can aa punish and also after the f24 pushback you are still in range to begin b3 mixups/pressure. I would really appreciate if anyone else had any advice to correct me if im wrong or just to add on in general.

[MENTION=204]B W1zZ[/MENTION], [MENTION=8319]FOREVER KING[/MENTION], [MENTION=5727]Nivek[/MENTION] or any other high level players who know alot about raiden.
I agree for the most part. Backdash is an option if you read that your opponent will try to poke, then you can counter the poke with one of his longer ranged options like a B312 combo or a F24. And yeah the pushback on blocked F24 with opponent in the corner sets up a guessing situation of dashing in with more pressure, baiting a jump in into a corner aa combo, or even superman if you predict they will attempt anything other than block (somewhat character dependent and risky).

Backdashing in general is actually a very powerful option if you suspect your opponent will attempt to punish after a blocked string or even after you tele/en tele. The backdashing strat can still be punished though, but it's a valuable tool that adds to raiden's plethora of mind games if used correctly.

BigMilk

Here are some matches of me against a friend. I did some bad things and dropped alot but no excuses. Also still trying to figure out matchup but I would really appreciate any constructive critisim anyone can offer. Enjoy the video!!

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Here are some matches of me against a friend. I did some bad things and dropped alot but no excuses. Also still trying to figure out matchup but I would really appreciate any constructive critisim anyone can offer. Enjoy the video!!

Several things:

--try a Superman after blocked f2, 4. You got punished multiple times after blocked f2, 4 because he would immediately attempt some type of attack after blocking it and you were...well...just sitting there.The first few times he blocked your f2, 4 you could have canceled immediately into Superman and caught him off-guard. Remember, you have frame advantage after they block it, a Superman will beat any non-Armor and non-XRay attack they throw at you. Once you have him trained not to punish after blocking f2, 4 then you can employ more sophisticated mind games such as walk-up Throw or b3, 1, 2.

--work on your combo skills. You dropped a lot of combos, which gave your opponent opportunity to apply pressure.

--at the end of the second and fourth matches you had full meter and you didn't use it. Were you saving it for X-Ray combo or did you just not realize you had it? Either way, when you are losing your second round and have full meter and the opponent is on the offensive, use it. I wold have gone for an X-Ray to interrupt his flow and give myself a few precious seconds to regroup mentally. (EX) Electric Shock would have been good in that situation as well.

--you didn't make enough use of Cross-Over Jump mind games. I like to do Teleport~Cross-Over Jump, 2, 3, 3, 4~Teleport. They either block the 3, 3, 4 or they don't. Either way you are at advantage. If they don't block it you get a full 10 hit, 35% combo. If they do block it you get to continue pressure with a Throw, another combo, etc.

Other than that good games. I liked that one anti-Air combo you pulled off in the first match: f2, df2, 3, 3, 4, X-Ray. That was really good!