What's new

Questions/Answers from MKX Comic Writer, Shawn Kittelsen by TheKombatTether

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
The Mortal Kombat X excitement can officially begin now that we're in 2015 and only have 13 weeks and counting. The Mortal Kombat X comic is also officially begun and readers can make their descent in to the world that Shawn Kittelsen is forming for us. To get your issue, click here!

In addition, our friends over at The Kombat Tether recently sent write Shawn Kittelsen some questions in regards to the comic. They do a very good job with the depth of their questions and Shawn hits them right back with some awesome answers - check it out below!

kittelsen.jpg

"We threw some quick, improvised questions at the Mortal Kombat X comic writer, Shawn Kittelson and have them for you below, some interesting answers followed! We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties with our website so for now, find our mini-interview with him here. issue #1 of the MKX comic is available digitally tomorrow:
The Kombat Tether: How many years before the events of Mortal Kombat X does this comic series begin?
Shawn Kittelson: The main story in the comics starts several years before the main story in the game, giving us the freedom to tell the most stories. It’s far enough along that the younger characters could believably fight, but also long enough before the MKX game story that we can make more surprising choices with stories that stand on their own, instead of rushing to tie every thread together with a nice bow to tie directly into the game. If the fans want them, we’ve got years of stories to tell.
---
TKT: Will you be taking the games original canon into consideration? As a prime example, Kitana meets Mileena in MK9 for the first time, but in the previous games canon they have thousands of years’ worth of history together. Will you be following the new timeline or perhaps cherry-picking from both?
Shawn: This series is canonical with the games, so we’re aligned with the MK9 timeline that extends through to MKX the game. For Kitana fans, that means she is still very much where she was at the end of MK9. As for Mileena, well, she’s still around and up to no good…That sounds like a lot of inside baseball, but because the MKX comic series comes out before the game, you can also come to it fresh and enjoy it as a Mortal Kombat story on its own. This way we can write comics for fans that follow the games closely and appreciate the expansion of the shared universe, and at the same time maybe there are comic readers and lapsed MK fans who haven’t played the latest games, and this series can be their point of entry.
---
TKT: Have you explored the possibility of expanding stories and arcs past the games story conclusion?
Shawn: We’ve got so many stories to tell in the prequel years, it’ll be a while before we entertain that kind of possibility.
---
TKT: Will there be any characters from the series expansive roster who definitely won’t be featured or written about?
Shawn: You mean like the way Ed teased “un-reveals” on Twitter? Hmm. I can’t rule anyone out. We never know when we might need them for a story! But that brings me to a really important point: Just because characters appear in the comic, that doesn’t mean they’ll end up in the game. We need to keep people on their toes. So we’re drawing from all across the mythology.
---
TKT: Are the comic’s physical representations of characters replicating their design and costumes from the game or will they have costumes from previous games or aesthetics exclusive to the comics, etc?
Shawn: A mix of everything. We’re drawing as much detail as possible from the games, but we’re also working at a point in the chronology where many characters haven’t been depicted in the games, so their appearances shift to accommodate that, resulting in some versions of the characters that you won’t find anywhere but the comics.
---
TKT: The Red Dragon Vs. The Black Dragon seems to be a prominent conflict within the events of the upcoming game. How deep are you exploring these two opposing clans and can we expect characters such as Mavado and Kira to have purpose in this clash?
Shawn: The Red Dragon and Black Dragon are major players in the upcoming comics, and that means you’ll get to see a lot of returning characters. With so many characters to juggle, we won’t spend too much time diving deep into the clan structures, but over the course of the series, you’ll learn a lot more about how both clans operate in this timeline, and their actions will seriously impact our main characters.
---
TKT: Many characters 'died' during the events of MK9, how are you handling some of these characters if they don’t make the roster in MKX?
Shawn: Dead means dead in the MK universe. Most of time. And just as characters appearing in the comics don’t guarantee appearances in the game, the reverse is also true. There are characters in the game that we aren’t showing in the comics. At the time of our stories, some characters are busy doing their own thing. Some could be in hiding. Some are dead. What matters is, I know where the bodies are.
---
TKT: With the games story now fixed and mapped out, have you managed to take any liberties with the overall story map you have devised? Will there be any direct deviations or can we expect some subtle differences between the two, once they ultimately begin to overlap?
Shawn: With several years until MKX, it’ll be a while before any actual scenes overlap. But making sure we were compatible with all the story material in the games was a big job. All last summer, certain things were semi-permanently open on my desktop: the MK9 cinematics videos, the MKX cinematics script, the MK Wikia, and my own outline for the comics. In the early days I was obsessive about scheduling out all these events. But once I absorbed the most important information, I had to get on with writing the weekly chapters, and that meant focusing on the best overall story and trusting that the work we did on the outline was strong enough to uphold continuity. I’m sure there will be subtle deviations here and there, mostly unintended, but the essential details are aligned. Just as an example, if you see someone who should be dead, but they’re alive, we have a reason for that. Between myself, editor Alex Antone, and the gang at NetherRealm Studios, a lot of thought went into every decision. What was exciting for me was that nobody handed me a map for the comics and said, “Write this!” I had the stories for MK9 and MKX, and everything in between that wasn’t explicitly covered by the games was open for discussion. NetherRealm was incredibly open to new ideas, trusting me more than I trusted myself sometimes. Their approval meant the world to me. Think of Cameron from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, but instead of never getting to drive the sports car, his dad hands him the keys and says, “Drive smart, drive fast.” That’s what it felt like.
---
TKT: Which character in the comics thus far have you most enjoyed writing for and why?
Shawn: Tough question, because... continue reading over on their Facebook page!"

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
TKT:This series is canonical with the games, so we’re aligned with the MK9 timeline that extends through to MKX the game. For Kitana fans, that means she is still very much where she was at the end of MK9.
Well, damn.

... As for Mileena, well, she’s still around and up to no good…That sounds like a lot of inside baseball, but because the MKX comic series comes out before the game, you can also come to it fresh and enjoy it as a Mortal Kombat story on its own.
Let us dance!

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
Very cool interview. My favorite line...

"If the fans want [more stories], we’ve got years of stories to tell."

I've literally been waiting years for this moment, as it hasn't been since MK Deception's announcement of online play that I've been so looking forward to a new MK game and it's story. MK expanding back in to comics is a true joy of mine, and I can't thank NRS and WB enough for making this project happen.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
When was a Red Dragon/Black Dragon conflict mentioned to be a big part of the game's events?

trufenix

bye felicia
Its good that there are so many writers out there with passion for game stories. This could be a beautiful thing going forward.