What's new

Strategy - Quan Chi "QUAN-TWO-THREE" (Controlling Trance Gravity) - by Under_The_Mayo

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
UPDATE: All combos midscreen can be ended with 141 instead of F142 for a longer knockdown and easier execution, but 1% less damage.

Thread title changed to better reflect the tech of the video.

It's good to be back!

This is a guide to standardized formulas for minimizing execution while maximizing damage. Simply put, reducing your damage before the trance allows more freedom to hit after the trance. This raises the damage of all combos, midscreen and corner, and also gives more time to think, and they are easier to execute.

As you'll see in the above video, using 4 Trance after pop-ups, and just Trance after EX-Rune, increases your damage and makes confirming a total breeze. These formulas, in particular Formula 3 for EX-Runes will simplify your damage and make you a much more efficient killer.

Formula 1: "Pop-Up"
Any combo starter that begins with a launching string. (B324) (F2122)
-- 4 Trance, Jp1, F2122, Run, F142 -- midscreen
-- 4 Trance, F2122, NjP, 1, 14 Rune -- corner

Formula 2: "Early Trance"
Any combo starting with raw Trance, or starter into grounded Trance. (12, B2, B32)
-- B324, NjP, Run, Uppercut -- midscreen
-- F2122, NjP, 1, 1, 1, 14 Rune -- corner

Formula 3: "EX-Rune"
Any combo starting with zoning close-mid EX-Rune or string into close EX-Rune. (12, B2, B32, 21)
-- Trance, Jp1, F2122, Run, F142 -- midscreen
-- 4 Trance, F2122, NjP, 14 Rune -- midscreen

Additional material

Midscreen
Air-to-Air: Jp1, B2 Trance, F2122, Run, Uppercut
NjP: 4 Trance, F2122, Run, Uppercut

Corner
Air-to-Air: Jp1, 4 Trance, F2122, NjP, 1, 1, 14 Rune
NjP: 4 Trance, F2122, 1, 1, 1, 14 Rune

@STB Shujinkydink
@Insuperable
@macro

Last edited:

-DUDE-

Noob
Thanks a lot Mayo for another excellent guide! Hope we will see more of that soon ;)

great guide thanks, struggling to get the run cancel timing :mad:
A good tip that helped me personally is to hold block first and then hit FF at the end of an attack or string.... Aris explained this on his stream....

I had an issue with B324, 4, Trance on Reptile. After Trance my JIP constantly whiffed and I would land on the opposite side. At work now but any chance this is a timing issue? It whiffed EVERY single time I tried.

-DUDE-

Noob
I have the same problem... Tested with a few characters and it whiffs every time! Some advice anyone?

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I had an issue with B324, 4, Trance on Reptile. After Trance my JIP constantly whiffed and I would land on the opposite side. At work now but any chance this is a timing issue? It whiffed EVERY single time I tried.
@RexxyC @-DUDE- @jharris

I've noticed the jp1 after a trance can really depend on what angle you hit 4 trance, so you could just skip it, regarding the b324 string.

Also with the run F142, all you have to do is press 1 as soon as you hit run, since you're already pressing forward from the run input.

macro

Eezeepeezee
So I do have a question for you mayo. Do you think it's better to do run up F143 or 141 to end are combos for a long range knockdown. Because I've found that doing 141 makes you have better recovery for putting down Quan's aura, even in the corner the opponent can't break your pressure.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
So I do have a question for you mayo. Do you think it's better to do run up F143 or 141 to end are combos for a long range knockdown. Because I've found that doing 141 makes you have better recovery for putting down Quan's aura, even in the corner the opponent can't break your pressure.
Yeah this stuff is really just for damage, because you're talking about the sorcerer variation. These combos are just for standard quan abilities. 141 has better advantage but less damage, but remember its not a hard knockdown, they can tech roll 141.

The MOST helpful in my opinion is the EX Rune into trance midscreen, and the damage you can get from just 12 trance punish.

Last edited:

xAnnunaki

tethysocean
When I woke up early Tuesday morning and walked to Walmart in the rain to get this game I kept telling myself "If Quan Chi is garbage I'm gonna jump out in front of a truck, lol". When I actually got home and popped in the game, I hit the lab. Kitana kept winking at me and I was like ok yes you were my main in mk2-mk9 up until I watched Mayo, Insuperable, and Shujinkydink using Quan on a TYM tourney online. So I flittered past the 10k year old Princess and chose Quan. After about 15 minutes I knew it wouldn't be long before 1 of you three would have broke our favorite hate/loved sorcerer. I'm not sure where he sits on the tier list but I love me some Quan and aside from the story mode have not used any other characters yet. Good job bro!

D

Deleted member 9158

I've has issues maximizing my damage output with quan, thanks for this.

I only have this problem off b324, I just take a slight step back after trance and it works every time

@Under_The_Mayo great guide bro gonna be turning to Quan as my main since the Kung Jin nerf is imminent that being the case I will be looking forward to watch and learnign from you. I saw a couple of people were having problems with the run cancels and what not I believe I can help with that for everyone doing the jip1,f2122,4,trance,jip1,f2122xxrun,f212 combo I believe is the notations I believe you can just end in f3 and save yourself the trouble it'll end up being 35% instead of 36 but hey it works. also for the jip1 problems take a step back before you do the jip1 and it'll land everytime hope it helped someone gonna tag the people I saw that said they were having problems @RexxyC @jharris @Vote4theGote and @-DUDE-