What's new

Question - Pyromancer Pyromancer needs help.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
This is not a buff-beg thread, this is a "state of current character variation" thread because I honestly have no idea how to make this variation better without the ridiculous teleport. It was centered around that move, and now that it's been removed (with good reason), I can't honestly say what to do to Pyro that would make it workable.

I've made two vague suggestions at the bottom, neither of which are a "buff beg" I stand by if disproven, nor a straightjacket that I think to be the only way, I just can't think of anything better to do to this variation.
This thread is open for suggestions of people more experienced than I am currently.

Also, I'm most likely not defecting to Kobu unfortunately I've come to like this variation too much for that.
Please note for those who don't know me that I'm not a good player, I'm at best decent, but even that would be a stretch.

My current pov on this variation is that it's just not worth using unless you are a stupid loyalist idiot like I am.
And here is why:

1. Tanya's every generic special is unsafe and not worth using.
Drill is bad, all it's good for is catching opponents offguard with but it won't really work against most people because it can be blocked on reaction. It's worse than Mileena's roll because you can get air-to-aired out of it.
Air Drill is worse. There is absolutely no good reason for you to use this move because it's not a divekick: it can be punished with a full-screen run-up for a full combo.
EX Drill is the same thing, it may launch but you cannot do any decent combo damage off of it, and forget ending combos with it to extend them, there is no way you can set up a distance that will make that happen.
Splits is bad, all it's good for is a combo ender but even then they get up way too fast for it to be good for any proper okizeme.
Air Splits is the worst move in the game, it hits low and even useless on hit. It doesn't combo.
EX Splits is decent for armouring out of sticky situations.

2. Pyro's specials are rubbish.
Fireballs can be easily evaded and full-combo-run-up-punished once you learn their arc. They are slow to reach across the screen and terrible to recover.
Air Fireballs can be punished on block. You block one, you can full combo punish her.
EX Fireball doesn't work as a proper combo ender for the most part. For the one bar it costs, all it's good for is absorbing an enemy projectile and even then, you could just block that and not waste meter on this.
Shroud is barely safe on block at -4, but all you can really do after Shroud is block. Not because her d1 is bad, but because her u1 is already in the slower end of the spectrum at i7.

3. Tanya's njp is horrible.
For somebody who was advertised to be airborne, (and even though I understand the nerf on teleport) I firmly believe that her air normals could use some adjustment for that role alone.

4. Suggestion: Air Dash.
This has been discussed in the Tanya community and might be a good solution. Kobu would decidedly be ridiculous with the old teleport back but unless we remove teleport entirely from that variation for only Pyro and Nagi to have it.
Stamina cost for Pyromancer teleports: one teleport counts as one dash. This way it cannot be abused but would still be balanced.

5. Suggestion: Armor on Ex-Air Dash
Not i-Frames because that's dumb as shit, but rather proper armor that can be broken by the same armorbreak properties that every other armored move is countered by.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Sorry man, but I can't main Pyro Tanya anymore. People are so caught up with how powerful Kobu is that they fail to realize how weakened Pyro has become or are just not good enough to get around Pyro gimmicks. Kobu is very powerful but Pyro needs help.

The ride was fun while it lasted. Maybe I should just main D'Vorah or Jax or something since they seem immune from nerfs and only get praised for their ridiculously powerful toolsets. Actually, now that I think about it, that sounds like a good idea.

VoyagersRevenge

AUGMENTED
Sorry man, but I can't main Pyro Tanya anymore. People are so caught up with how powerful Kobu is that they fail to realize how weakened Pyro has become or are just not good enough to get around Pyro gimmicks. Kobu is very powerful but Pyro needs help.

The ride was fun while it lasted. Maybe I should just main D'Vorah or Jax or something since they seem immune from nerfs and only get praised for their ridiculously powerful toolsets. Actually, now that I think about it, that sounds like a good idea.
Be a good sport and give me some advice on dealing with Pyromancer as Kano. I'll agree with this thread and support 100% afterwards.. I'm serious :DOGE

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Be a good sport and give me some advice on dealing with Pyromancer as Kano. I'll agree with this thread and support 100% afterwards.. I'm serious :DOGE
I was beating Pyro with Cyber Kano prepatch. :coffee:

With Cyber you can throw knives more in this MU than most, so use the timing to catch Pyro when she lands from air fireballs, and then follow up knives if she pushes buttons so she has to block. At certain heights you can use Kano Ball to punish air fireball. If you jump over a ground fireball punish with Airball. At certain distances you can time when to go under air fireballs with runs for a trip guard punish. You can backdash pretty much her entire movelist consistently in Pyro except F2. When pressuring her you just be careful of EX Shroud. And don't trade when under a shroud spell.

That's the main stuff off of the top of my head. MU doesn't feel bad at all to me, possibly adv even. Unlike that ridiculously tough Kobu MU. :(

Also, I read Startup is having another tourney on Saturday. Are you going? I might hit it up.

Awkward Sloth

Lamest Harley, still better sloth than Jer
Pyro needs her freaking normals fixed. Stubby ass t rex limbs and gaps for days thanks to limited range and mids whiffing all day.

Shroud being amazing is a M2Dave delusion because at best you get a gimmick afterwords or low damage. It's a "safe" armored move. People need to armor back against it to neutralize it out.

Give her better recovery on a lotta things. (Projectiles, normals) Better start up. Fix her mids. Ex shroud causes a restand on airborne opponents.
Ex forward teleport gets armor again but no invincibility and you can't do a second teleport afterwards. Making you commit to it as a punish. Cassie and Lao get to get there fast armored launchers.

Luxury buff make fireballs overheads in the air.

She's a mid tier variation. If she was still good and worth it in a match up people would still use her. She's a zoner that gets outzoned. People are living in the past and still think this variation is good.

Vithar

Evil but Honest!
@GLoRToR Imho , Pyro needs some new ''normals'' and ''strings''

Atm she has the ''Purple Stuff'' , Fire Ballz and some string ... i think the Variation doesn't feel finished.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Tanya can still play lame, but at least now she isn't completely OP.

So, to buffing Tanya? NO!!!

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree with a pretty big chunk of the OP. As for why:

Fireballs can be easily evaded and full-combo-run-up-punished once you learn their arc. They are slow to reach across the screen and terrible to recover.
Air Fireballs can be punished on block. You block one, you can full combo punish her.
They're pretty situational projectiles, true, but IMO they're harder to evade than a lot of projectiles if not used predictably. And in this game, a large number of projectiles can be punished heavily on a read - that's not particularly unique to Pyromancer.

EX Fireball doesn't work as a proper combo ender for the most part. For the one bar it costs, all it's good for is absorbing an enemy projectile and even then, you could just block that and not waste meter on this.
Absorbing a projectile and consequently dealing 10% (or maybe even 20%) damage, while putting yourself in an advantageous situation, seems like a good enough reward to warrant a bar of meter IMO. EX Fireball is also v.useful for closing out a round.

Shroud is barely safe on block at -4, but all you can really do after Shroud is block. Not because her d1 is bad, but because her u1 is already in the slower end of the spectrum at i7.
The fact that Pyro Tanya has a safe special move at all isn't something that should be taken for granted IMO - a lot of characters would move heaven and earth for a special move that's -4 on block.

To be fair, I do actually agree that a lot of her universal specials are a bit silly (though I seriously want to know how you block drill on reaction) - air splits is the gimmicky-est gimmick ever especially, and EX Drill being unnecessarily difficult to combo off of consistently is very annoying.

Pyro is definitely outclassed by Kobu Jutsu in most respects, but it's a pretty decent counterpick variation nevertheless. And again, being able to make any blockstring at all safe without any meter cost is a pretty big thing.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
That's Sonic Fox, pre-patch, vs a Cassie that keeps dropping punishes. Skill difference a mile wide. Get outta here.
Let the others watch that and see what they think.

This can still be done. She just can no longer safely destroy you easily if you get in.

Those drops were out of pure frustration. He could have landed them expertly and he still had no chance. Sonic Fox is the best, but his opponent was no bum. It just looked that way because of how OP Tanya was.

You've invested in Tanya. I played her for a week before the nerf and for three days after, so although my insight hasn't reached yours - I do know a decent amount about the character. I only play MK and don't watch much TV, so it was hours upon hours.

Plus, I'm not biased. I have no dog in this fight. I'm just sharing what I've come to know.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I respectfully disagree with a pretty big chunk of the OP. As for why:
This is the kind of discussion we need in here.

They're pretty situational projectiles, true, but IMO they're harder to evade than a lot of projectiles if not used predictably. And in this game, a large number of projectiles can be punished heavily on a read - that's not particularly unique to Pyromancer.
You'll have to be more specific on this one. They can all be ducked and dashed past and then punishable outside sweep. Which projectiles are we matching them with and in what is Pyro-Tanya similar to those characters? Does their playstyle vastly depend on those projectiles? Are those projectiles crucial to their damage output?

Absorbing a projectile and consequently dealing 10% (or maybe even 20%) damage, while putting yourself in an advantageous situation, seems like a good enough reward to warrant a bar of meter IMO. EX Fireball is also v.useful for closing out a round.
It's a good projectile but it's not groundbreaking or a solution to this version's playstyle.[/quote]

The fact that Pyro Tanya has a safe special move at all isn't something that should be taken for granted IMO - a lot of characters would move heaven and earth for a special move that's -4 on block.
Again you're being very vague. We're not debating whether other characters need a move like Shroud, we're looking at Pyro's design and concluding that in the current combination of tools, it's unfortunately rather weak.

To be fair, I do actually agree that a lot of her universal specials are a bit silly (though I seriously want to know how you block drill on reaction) - air splits is the gimmicky-est gimmick ever especially, and EX Drill being unnecessarily difficult to combo off of consistently is very annoying.
Not a lot of them, she doesn't have a lot of universal specials. She has those listed and none of them are of major use.

Pyro is definitely outclassed by Kobu Jutsu in most respects, but it's a pretty decent counterpick variation nevertheless. And again, being able to make any blockstring at all safe without any meter cost is a pretty big thing.
You can pretty much just counterpick the counterpick. I don't find that a valid argument at all.
Blockstrings do not exist in MK unless they lead into actual pressure. Anybody can njp Tanya for a full combo after Shroud if you try to press buttons, or you have to block and the ball is in their park.

All in all I maintain that Pyro-Tanya needs help.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
@GLoRToR don't waste your time with that one. I'm still waiting for him to provide those "consistent 40%+ mid screen 1 bar Cyber Kano" combos as proof that I need to level up instead of saying he's bad. :DOGE

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
I keep trying to make Pyro work for some MU's but it does feel a bit weak post patch. Ex shroud is good, but not something that you will always have and it's not necessarily going to change the momentum of the match if you land it. Her njp is average for this game. I can think of plenty that are better. Her zoning is decent, but due to the recovery on air fireballs and air teleport not being invincible, she can no longer run away like Fox was in that video.

Kobu Jutsu has an incredible ground game and therefore was not affected as much by the nerfs. Pyro, on the other hand, was hit pretty hard.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
@GLoRToR don't waste your time with that one. I'm still waiting for him to provide those "consistent 40%+ mid screen 1 bar Cyber Kano" combos as proof that I need to level up instead of saying he's bad. :DOGE
I'm happy to discuss with anybody that's actually here to converse about Pyro and its problems. I've lined them out just fine. Some of these people will come in here and be hostile about it, mainly because people fear Kabal levels of broken. The more intelligent types will either provide Pyro players with insight as to how the variation isn't weak, or we'll reinforce the fact that it does need help.
TYM is like any other low-key-modded forum in that there are people that post 1024x760 lolcat pictures in threads, you just ignore that person and move on.
I have faith that Pyro can be exposed as either an excellent variation, or something that will need further thought down the line, maybe a handful of quick fixes soon or perhaps later on once characters who don't even have one tournament viable variation, are sorted out.
Either way, I'm here and interested in hearing what other interested people have to say.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
i7 njp is amazing? On what planet?

Pyro is not fine.
Her NJP out priotizes everything in the game. Try to anti air her with Kung Jin's NJP? Doesnt work. Try to anti air her with EX special moves? Doesnt work. The priority is ridiculous.

Pyro is a mid tier character. You have to outfootsie and outplay your opponent to win. If you dont want to do that, play someone else. Some of these buffs are ridiculous.