What's new

Probable Pros and Cons of another fighter with 3D game play?

Just wanted a quick survey of the TYM community on what could be some of the positive and negative aspects of making MK10 (or other could be fighter in development) with 3D game play? And why you think it would or wouldn't work when it comes to balancing, design, presentation and public reception.

gdf

Noob
Cons: The last four Mortal Kombat games. (Don't get me wrong, they are fun for fun's sake. But I'll be a monkey's uncle before I play those competitively)
Pros: I'll tell you when I think of them.

Sorry I'm so pessimistic, but I would like to see this system followed through without glitches and bugs in my opinion.

Okay, well you guys gotta clue me in as to why a 3D game wouldn't work. I mean I'm always hearing how balanced MK9 is compared to other current fighting games. Why then would the re-transition to 3D be unsuccessful game play wise?

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
with 3D mk's came more gimmicks, death traps, free fall kombat ect. Anything that's going to make the match's combos strategy ect become a much less important factor is not good. Also sidestepping ruins the zoners advantages. If Kabal was in MK vs DC you wouldn't have to worry about IAGB you'd just walk sideways and get closer and closer.

aj1701

Noob
3D seems to make projectiles much less relevent. You can just keep stepping to the side and not really have to worry about them. I also never cared for how you move around in the 3D MK environment. Personally it doesn't really add a lot to me... you still have your forward and back as the main focus, as your must advance to retreat to and from your opponent. But I haven't played other 3d fighters, so maybe those problems are just MK.

bettyswallaux

XBOXLive: BettySwallaux
MK DA and D were fun, Especially the story mode in D I mean that had so much f**king variety it was mind blowing OMGZZ, anyway on a serious note ive been into MK seriously since MK3, I bought MKDA AND D on release day and I genuinely did enjoy them, except the story mode in D lol, but they weren't serious fighting games, I hope that NRS stick to the lines of MK9 cause despite its bugs its still an awesome fighting game and it means i dont have to play DOA or Tekken anymore, not that they are bad games, its just MK9 owns, its the game ive been waiting for since MK3.

3D seems to make projectiles much less relevent. You can just keep stepping to the side and not really have to worry about them.
But doesn't something like projectiles have more to do with how they are designed by the devs, and they're intended usage.

For example, look at this video of someone demonstrating combos with Algol in Soul Calibur 5. Notice the bubble projectiles are used throughout the combos as the opponent was being juggled. Isn't this akin to Shang Tsung's ground fireball in MK9? Now granted projectiles wouldn't have to be used like this, but I'm just providing examples of how such a thing could be implemented. Also I haven't played too much of Soul Calibur but I do remember you can side step this bubble move when he performs it.

And as another example, if you take something like Scorpions' spear projectile and design it so that it was to be used in certain situations such as during your opponents hit stun animation, then wouldn't the effect be the same as a 2D MK?

You guys know more about fighting game mechanics, so forgive me if my logic is off in the above.

Also, would any of you play a new MK without projectiles? Would this change MK at it's core?

aj1701

Noob
But doesn't something like projectiles have more to do with how they are designed by the devs, and they're intended usage.

For example, look at this video of someone demonstrating combos with Algol in Soul Calibur 5. Notice the bubble projectiles are used throughout the combos as the opponent was being juggled. Isn't this akin to Shang Tsung's ground fireball in MK9? Now granted projectiles wouldn't have to be used like this, but I'm just providing examples of how such a thing could be implemented. Also I haven't played too much of Soul Calibur but I do remember you can side step this bubble move when he performs it.

And as another example, if you take something like Scorpions' spear projectile and design it so that it was to be used in certain situations such as during your opponents hit stun animation, then wouldn't the effect be the same as a 2D MK?

You guys know more about fighting game mechanics, so forgive me if my logic is off in the above.

Also, would any of you play a new MK without projectiles? Would this change MK at it's core?
Sure you can use them in combos but not really zone with them, so that aspect its gone. I personally wouldn't play an mk without projectiles, they are something that has always been part of the game.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
MK just does not perform well in 3D, it just doesn't. Soul Calibur, Tekken, Virtua Fighter; yes...those work very well in 3D but not MK.