What's new

General/Other - Raiden Predicting Raiden: Variation Applications and Vulnerabilities Analysis

DreadKnight1

Beaten, by this mere man
mkxraiden.jpg

After seeing many others analyse Raiden's announcement trailer and his moveset, I'd like to create my own analysis of each variation and state what I think it'll excel at and struggle with.

Raiden Variation 1.jpg

Thunder God: This variation gains extra hits on certain normals and certain specials and allows for longer combos and more damage; also gains 'enhanced lighting' which I assume means a buff to his projectile. Based on this I think Thunder God will have the best up-close game(will do the most damage on average up close whether that be combos or chip): he will (very likely) have the best damage output and have the most hits in short spaces of time-this would be ideal for armor breaking and heavy punishes. The buff on his lightning won’t be that dramatic of a boost as a few extra % per projectile won’t be a good enough reason to justify not using Storm Lord to zone IMO in heavy zoning oriented mus but could give him the edge against armor characters who won’t be able to armor through his zoning. Overall, I think Thunder God will be most suited to fighting armor characters and characters who are weaker up-close and struggle with most zoners and characters with good mobility.

Raiden Variation 2.jpg

Displacer: Raiden gains teleports and shockports (easily the best mobility in the game), this will allow for the best mixup game up-close, the best time wasting (such as for a cheap win or let a buff of theirs cool down) and the best anti-zoning. Put simply this will be the variation to go to for most mus, even mus that you are completely clueless about because Displacer is the most rounded variation with a great close game and great anti-zoning. To conclude, this variation will excel against most zoners, characters with average pressure (hence most characters) and against characters with weak/bad projectiles. I feel though that characters with great pressure will make Displacer struggle because they can give him just as much trouble up close as he could give them.

Raiden Variation 3.jpg

Storm Lord: Gains access to static traps, this creates what could be the best mind game because if he places an orb next to him and one full screen they have to guess when he’ll link them. Also this variation will potentially destroy characters that MUST get in to win and don’t have armour. I have one issue with this variation…it's WAAAAY too vulnerable to teleport characters….i would strongly recommend using another variation if they have a teleport or teleport attack. That said I would recommend Storm Lord against characters that rely on up close games and Raiden can keep out easily.

edited/promoted by STORMS*

- post updated with descriptive images of Raiden's variations

Last edited by a moderator:

DreadKnight1

Beaten, by this mere man
If there's any flaws or perks of each variation please tell me because id like to edit it into the article.

Storm Lord could have quite a few flaws: his validity as a turtle could be effected by the fact that he gets outzoned without having a tp, in this stance and it might be too hard to setup and too many characters may be able to shut him down before it happens

Thunder God: might end up being lower tier than his other variations because it might not add tons of utility, it depends on the effects to his moves up close and if he gets more mixups or added frame adv. / chip... i am worried variations such as these might end up being kind of lame and not really being beneficial to competitive play... especially considering damage scaling. you might be able to combo in other variations for similar damage despite the added damage to moves because of how we know the combo system works.

Displacer: this worries me for different reasons, being able to tp to midscreen and all his teleports... depending on how safe he is or the recovery it might be an extremely random character (when i thought at a high level raiden was very thoughtful and about spacing in mk9) or he might be too effective at escaping pressure safely and he might be the excessively good compared to mk9 even at running out the clock and exasterbating lifeleads. Overall, i hope this is designed in a way it provokes a challenging and thoughtful playstyle and it isn't abotu being extremely random and difficult to deal with with his new ex tp and midscreen tps... we shall see.

His normals are a huge deal: normals and frame data are always a big fucking deal... don't know abotu this

his ex vicinity burst appears very interesting as a tool also and his ex fireball should be good for milking the clock and turtling / control space... but his actually projectiles has extremely slow startup... in general most projectiles i have seen have pretty ass startup in this game, like subs ice ball... its too early to really be too concerned.. this could be a really pressure heavy game with the run button and all that... i

trufenix

bye felicia
i don't know how this can possibly be done withou knowing if any other variants have teleport. And before you say it, Thunder God teleports mid combo.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I personally feel his teleportation/displacer style will be both effective for zoning and going up against it.

I think his storm lord will be alright for zoning but honestly, would be so much better if he had his teleport. Can you imagine if he did? setting up lightning traps then teleporting putting pressure on opposite side pushing them into it lol. Think of it similar to Cyrax bombs and teleporting on the other side.

DreadKnight1

Beaten, by this mere man
I really appreciate the feedback guys, I'm glad it's positive because this is a beefy article and took almost half an hour to write.

DreadKnight1

Beaten, by this mere man
i don't know how this can possibly be done withou knowing if any other variants have teleport. And before you say it, Thunder God teleports mid combo.
When you hover over Raiden's displacer variation on the character select screen it states 'adds teleport and shockport'. I doubt TG and SL have it originally because this description would've been different.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
I kinda gave the feeling that his Thunder God stance might be based around 50/50's because he will be granted an addition string or his chip damage will be amazing... if this is not the case then I have a hard time seeing the viability of this variation.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I challenge you all to win a round by timer scam using the displacer sparkport (delayed teleport) :D

DreadKnight1

Beaten, by this mere man
I think the gameplay of raiden and Kano that came out yesterday confirms my prediction of thunder god destroying armoured characters, everything he has from normals,projectiles and specials do a tonne of hits