What's new

Predict the overnerfs/buffs

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
This is just a fun thread for those of us who've been around to see how much balance changes in NRS games in the first few months.

So pick three, most likely to get nerfed into oblivion (Deathstroke syndrome) most likely to be inadvertently buffed to be ridiculous (Flash/Bane syndrome) and most likely to be utterly op yet somehow ignored due to other characters getting louder complaints. (Batgirl/Kabal disorder)

Nerfed: Grandmaster Sub-zero/Inferno Scorpion/Full-auto Jacqui

Sub-zero is too visible, also @General M2Dave is trying to save him, and we've seen where that goes.

Inferno Scorpion is actually viable in the hands of a complete idiot, and terrifying in the hands of a good player. We know what happens next.

Jacqui is the new Deathstroke, and I've been to Gamefaqs, she's all they talk about. (Hey NRS, fix your netcode and you won't have to nerf all your zoners, just saying.)

Buffed: Nimble Reptile/A-list or Stunt Double Johnny Cage/Kitana.

Their communities are already crying about how they don't have pressure, how their characters are ruined, how they have no way to open anyone up etc.

Ignored: Hollywood Cassie Cage/ Covert Ops Sonya/ Marksman Erron Black.

Cassie's cleverly deflecting with her spec ops variant and the fact that the nut kracker input is constantly dropped online so the loud tide of terribads can't see how dumb she is.

Sonya is another character nobody is going to see online unless it's REO playing, and she skated through MK9 intact so I see this as an encore.

Erron Black has all of Kabal's stupid plus frame cancel crap plus a vortex, but doing that is hard so the only complaints I've seen are that his high/low/high string being hard to block online. Plus his community is doing amazing downplaying considering he's placed top 3 in every tournament so far. Can @SonicFox5000 go two for two on protecting dumb vortexes from modification with hardcore downplaying?

Bonus category: Kung Lao/Kung Jin continue Kung family tradition and get nerfs to damage and tools they don't use while retaining everything dumb. So despite every patch changing them they both remain top 5. :p

Last edited:

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
Funny but since I'm reading every charactres general threads I'd thought Kung Jin Bojutsu is way more "op" in TYM minds than Full Auto Jaqui.
Yeah that's TYM though. You have to go down to the masses to get a feel for what's going to change. Gamefaqs is the throbbing pulse of the common man. :)

Also I call Kung Jin nerfs that leave all his tools intact. :p

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
If this happens, I will quit the character.
Look within yourself, you know it to be true.

Besides it's Flash 2.0, he has no mixup, he's unsafe, nimble is hard to use, etc. I'm waiting on the buffs so he has a fullscreen safe string that confirms into a nimble combo for 75%.

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
Kung Jin will no doubt get nerfed with the amount of people whining about him because hes a very accessible character. As if execution makes a difference on balance.
Serious mode here for one sec. . .

I'm honestly torn on that last statement. It's true to some extent that execution no matter how difficult will be learned if it confers an advantage. (Zero Lightning Loops/Everything C. Viper/Entire game of KOF)

However reliability is also a factor in balancing. There's stuff that you will never drop no matter how badly you play, and stuff that is always going to be a minor gamble. (Unplinkable 1 frame links for instance) I think there's actually an interesting tradeoff to be made.

Like I play Cassie Cage and I often decide whether or not to squeeze a couple points of extra damage and corner carry by doing 212 in my bnb, or keeping it out to keep the combo more stable. If a character has stuff that is utterly optimal and also un-fuck-up-able, it's always going to be good to have, and that is actually a consideration in balance.

I know I'd rather play a character who has low execution and brain-dead mixups in tournament when nerves are on the line than someone whose (Even slightly better) tools require more timing or consideration.

E

Eldriken

I can vouch for what @dookieagain is saying about GameFAQs doing nothing but bitch about Full Auto Jacqui. There are like 9 topics about her at the moment. So, like I've been saying since the day I started playing her: she is more than likely going to get the Deathstroke treatment.

Here's what I think will happen: It currently does 5% chip and 7% on hit. They will probably reduce chip to 2%. It's also -10 on block, which means nothing when she's full screen. I don't know what it is on whiff, however. But what I do think is that they'll make it even more negative on block and probably hellaciously more negative on whiff.

They will probably nerf Up Rocket's recovery because you can block almost as soon as you fire the rockets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nerfed: Sub Zero =(

Buffed: Reptile, Johnny Cage, Kitana. I agree with what OP said on this one. I think Johnny will get buffed for sure.

Ignored: Erron Black

E

Eldriken

Judging from how many people have been complaining about my Summoner Quan zoning, I fear they will add a cooldown to the bat in patches or something.
While I have yet to get beaten into the ground by a Summoner Quan Chi, I don't feel he needs a cooldown on the bat. The startup is long enough as it is and you can only safely get it out off of setups, yeah?

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Wow the OP nail it....from what I have read everything is fine in my book outside of the Ermac bullshit. Also good netcode won't save NRS zoners from scrubs. Scrubs demand nerfs for zoners in every fighter.

While I have yet to get beaten into the ground by a Summoner Quan Chi, I don't feel he needs a cooldown on the bat. The startup is long enough as it is and you can only safely get it out off of setups, yeah?
Because you haven't played me, he's op. You have no idea, I havbe no idea how this character got through testing with the cool down on his bat and his unblockable

E

Eldriken

Because you haven't played me, he's op. You have no idea, I havbe no idea how this character got through testing
Get a PS4 and let's go. Oh, wait, wait...you probably won't play me because I'm not good at this game since my Doomsday training wheels fell off. =(